Score Prediction Thread - MISS STATE | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Score Prediction Thread - MISS STATE

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For what it's worth.........you draw your own conclusion.

I just saw a segment on ESPN's SportsCenter with Cari Champion about 45 minutes ago. She was Speaking with Doris Burke. When asked how she thought UConn would do against Mississippi State, Burke said that MSST had virtually no chance of beating UConn. She then proceeded to explain her answer. I'm not going to go into detail what her reasons were. Suffice it to say, she likes UConn to advance to the championship game on Sunday.

IMO, Burke is very knowledgeable about all things WCBB. Like her or not, she knows what she's talking about. College and professional basketball is her business. If thinks UConn in a shoe in Friday, that's good enough for me. I'm just a fan. I'll readily admit she knows more about WCBB, this tournament and the teams involved than I do. Basically she said while MSST has improved, they're still not in UConn's class yet. I understand there are folks here that don't care for Burke. I like her, and I respect her opinion.
Agree that Burke knows basketball and she is a great supporter of WBB in general, and UConn in particular. I just wish she wouldn't spend as much time talking all over the game while it's being played. If Doris could be more concise with her color commentary during the games she would be a better broadcaster IMO.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Agree that Burke knows basketball and she is a great supporter of WBB in general, and UConn in particular. I just wish she wouldn't spend as much time talking all over the game while it's being played. If Doris could be more concise with her color commentary during the games she would be a better broadcaster IMO.

LOL, sometimes Burke becomes a prisoner of the moment, and tends to become intent on sharing her opinions and observations with the viewers that she tends to over do it some times. I've always found her observations interesting and insightful. Yeah, sometimes she should talk a little less. Sometimes less is more.

That aside, Burke's observations this morning made me feel a lot better about Friday's game. I'm just like everyone else here in the yard. While I'm confident, I'm also cautious, but not too over confident. I take the same approach to these last two games that Geno does, and for the same reasons.

Burke is whole lot closer to WCBB, and the 4 remaining programs that we are. If she thinks MSST has no chance, that makes me feel not good, but great!!!!! I want to see our girls win another one Sunday.....period!!!!!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
This is so Maalox for me... This last week of the tourney is when I feed the karma kracken, and look the worst outcome in the face... or something. It worked last year anyway...

UConn 78
The Roast 80

Mov -2

Reaction Score
I had the experience of watching MSU's losses. Maybe Vic has a magic key so they can turn their effort and focus on and off. Maybe they can stay with UConn mentally and physically for four quarters.

In step with Myers though, MSU 89 - UConn 45

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The moment will be too big for Miss State - UCONN too efficient UCONN 77 Miss St 49

Reaction Score
Danger has flashing plays, but also makes bad decision resulting to TOs from time to time. Sometimes she tries too hard and makes unwise decision to go against bigs in the paint. And sometimes uconn also has her in the paint when a bad switch happens resulting in her guarding someone who is a foot taller. When a game is tight, this could be crucial.

This sounds about right.

Frankly, watching Dangerfield, my impression is: she makes some really nice plays on her own (even when she sets up teammates), but she really doesn't do much within the flow of the offense. She's not a liability, but she doesn't keep the machine operating the way you want out of your PG.

She'll learn, but she's not there this year.

Reaction Score
My prediction is less of a prediction and more of a function of a mathematical process. The final score was the result of a sigma function calculation where P= expected passes in the game, H= total height of the team ( without transfers), R squared is the expected time of possession for UConn, A is the expected attendance and finally S equals the number of times Uconn players have to squint to prevent looking at that ugly court.

But I will adjust my prediction to reflect your comments.

UConn 125
Mississippi State 18
No adjustments needed - I never realized the science and high level mathematics you've been using all year to arrive at your astute constant selections of the winning team. I bow to your wisdom

Reaction Score
Totally agree with the "Talking over" problem. It's not just Doris either,; I think every ESPN team does it. Happens only very occasionally with SNY. I want to know who made the shot, who commited the foul, why play was stopped, etc., etc. The other stuff is nice but is not a part of the game. Let them talk during time-outs.

Reaction Score
I hope the consensus view prevails but I am far far less confident than everybody else. I've watched Miss State several times and along with Baylor I've felt they were the 2 teams that could beat us. They have quick guards, size, depth and scoring at center, and a capable wing. Our 'A' game beats their 'A' game, and they don't always play their best, especially when Vivians can be off, but I think we are at risk if we play less than our 'A' game. These big margins of victory occur when we can get a transition game going with turnovers, when we hit threes, when we collect a large number of offensive rebounds, and when we keep our starting 5 on the court. If we are not lethal from 3, they can back off and present real challenges for us to score down low and rebound. Their quickness in the backcourt and size in the frontcourt are a recipe for foul trouble on Collier and Gabby. Either of those players on the bench for extended time in the first half means the game is 10 points closer. I think the game is ours to win, but only based on solid 3 point shooting that forces the paint to stay open. I'll also be impressed if we can get any running game going off of turnovers since they only had 1 first half turnover vs Baylor. Rather than going through the motions to mow down another pretender, I will be super impressed if we handle this team as easily as the boneyard expects. I could easily see both teams in the 60 to 70 point range. I am much more confident vs South Carolina or Stanford.

Reaction Score
I am going all in, 96 to 63. Lou with a double double 25 pats and ten boards!

Reaction Score
Miss St. cannot score enough points to beat UCONN! They have 3 players that can score consistant, William, Vivians, and 6'7" McCowan inside! UCONN has 7 girls that can score from 5 to 10 to 35 points!Williams, Napheesa, Katie Lou, and Nurse can go off and each can score 35 points in a game, while Crystal Dangerfield, Saniya, and Butler can score in the 5 to 10 point range! Even if Miss St's defense is really good how do they stop all 7 players from scoring?
Yes anything is possible but not probable in this case!

Reaction Score
UConn wins but it is a lot closer than most think.

UConn 73
Mississippi State 61

Reaction Score
OK lets see. After reading all the posts, having watched almost all the UConn games, been able to go to 2 games and watching the Miss / Baylor game It looks like we have 3 choices, 1) UConn wins by a lot 20+, 2) UConn wins by a little 5 - 10 and 3) Uconn loses by a few 2-4. So after throwing all that (pros&cons) into a blender lets say UConn wins by 15

Reaction Score
I don't think it's going to be very close. I think it's in the 20-25 pt range. I think UConn just has too much fire power. I know Miss St. has a couple big girls to use in the paint, but I think there will be a lot of double teaming in the paint and if Miss St. puts them out there at the same time I think UConn will run them ragged in transition because they'd be trying to keep up with Gabby and Collier up and down the court.

I'd like to see them attack the big girls in the paint on offense too and see if you can't put them in foul trouble and get them on the bench and then really hammer down. I like Williams' from Miss St. game, I just think she'll get ganged up on in this game and don't think we'll see another 40pt performance from her. Entirely possible, she's very quick and plays tough.. I just don't see it happening. I didn't see it happening last game either though so... goes to show what I know :) Also, there is always the possibility that UConn just can't make shots but their work in the pain on offense and defense should offset any cold streaks from out on the floor.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's going to be very close. I think it's in the 20-25 pt range. I think UConn just has too much fire power. I know Miss St. has a couple big girls to use in the paint, but I think there will be a lot of double teaming in the paint and if Miss St. puts them out there at the same time I think UConn will run them ragged in transition because they'd be trying to keep up with Gabby and Collier up and down the court.

I'd like to see them attack the big girls in the paint on offense too and see if you can't put them in foul trouble and get them on the bench and then really hammer down. I like Williams' from Miss St. game, I just think she'll get ganged up on in this game and don't think we'll see another 40pt performance from her. Entirely possible, she's very quick and plays tough.. I just don't see it happening. I didn't see it happening last game either though so... goes to show what I know :) Also, there is always the possibility that UConn just can't make shots but their work in the pain on offense and defense should offset any cold streaks from out on the floor.
William is going to have to defend either Saniya, or Kia, and she will use a lot of energy doing that. She isn't going to get any help from others, because in that case someone else is open, and Uconn hits the open person better then any other team.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I already said 73-52 (I think). One other prediction: I don't think "Big T" (Teiara McGowan) will play too many minutes, maybe about 15. I think it will quickly become apparent to their very astute coach that she isn't producing enough on offense to outweigh her inability to defend Napheesa or Gabby on defense. She may get some quick fouls. (She fouled out of the piranha game last year in a small number of minutes.)

I think that UConn will be playing against their slightly smaller but more mobile post (the young woman from Africa) for most of the game.

Reaction Score
William is going to have to defend either Saniya, or Kia, and she will use a lot of energy doing that. She isn't going to get any help from others, because in that case someone else is open, and Uconn hits the open person better then any other team.

Agreed. Or even Crystal. It will be a long 40 minutes for Williams.

Reaction Score
My thought is 82-70. William is confident and will put up 25 against us, but it won't be enough.

Reaction Score
I think McCall presence combined with Tara elite coaching will be enough for Stanford to dominate South Carolina.

Miss state keeps it close 1st half. Ucomn does Uconn things even more 2nd half.

Lou vs Lou in the championship. With Lou winning it all.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Since UConn likes to beat ranked opponents by 11... I'm gonna go with 72 UConn 61 Miss St.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom