Score Prediction Thread - MISS STATE | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Score Prediction Thread - MISS STATE

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Perhaps I was unclear with my point in that area; I want to see Dangerfield standing toe-to-toe with William. Danger is 5'5", but by all reports William's listed height of 5'5" is an exaggeration. William is...more robust than Crystal, so she LOOKS shorter. I'm just wondering by how much.

HOWEVER....I do want to note that during the post-Regional win ceremonies, Geno and Danger had quite a conversation. It was extended, bilateral, and both were smiling the entire time. I think something special happened there, and I don't think that we'll have to wait until Next Year for it to bear fruit.

I noticed that exchange too. We can guess all we want to. We'll have to wait until Friday to see what Geno comes up with. He just may decide to play Danger more minutes than usual against William and Mississippi State. I do know one thing, Geno is NOT going to allow William to shoots uncontested 3's like she was doing Sunday. I don't think she'll score more than 16 points Friday.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Well let's see. The SEC is the best league in WCBB. We know this because we've been told. There's no way this UCONN team goes undefeated after losing the Big 3, Geno has said as much. Geno has never lost in the Final soooooo looks like this is where the magical season ends.

Mississippi St finally gives UCONN it's loss for the season. 68-64.
Thank you. The mojo is strong in this one.

Reaction Score
Well let's see. The SEC is the best league in WCBB. We know this because we've been told. There's no way this UCONN team goes undefeated after losing the Big 3, Geno has said as much. Geno has never lost in the Final soooooo looks like this is where the magical season ends.

Mississippi St finally gives UCONN it's loss for the season. 68-64.
Thank you for your unwavering support of the cause - you can take both solace and pride in your steadfast support of our (some of us, at least) recognition of the potential of alienating the basketball gods (AKA Mojo) and placating them with a contrarian view. Meyers, I thank you

Reaction Score
UCONN hasn't worked so hard to replace the Big 3 in everyone's minds to slack off at the Final 4!
Right out of the gate the Huskies will play furious defense and quick relentless offense, and be in control early.
The final score will be UCONN 91 / Miss St 59!
Gabby Williams will score in the 30's!

Carnac

Reaction Score
There are a lot of LARGE MOV predictions for this one. We can't ALL be wrong on this one, can we? :eek:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
With meyers7 providing the mojo top cover, I'll go with 75-55 Huskies.

Reaction Score
This game won't be a piranha on a roast but it will be at least catfish on a chicken dish as miss-a-chippie state closes the gap between them and Uconn by two thirds to only lose by 20,82-62.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We have faced bigs before and prevaled. We have faced quick guards before and have won convincingly.

The margin won't be 60 points but it will be double figures:

UConn 88 Mississippi State 65. Lou finds her stroke and Gabby & Pheesa control the paint.

Reaction Score
UCONN 92 - 57 They keep saying they are not the same team ... but they are. A year older and wiser to be sure but unlike at UCONN, nothing magic happens in one year.

Reaction Score
So without looking at any one else's predictions...

Mississippi State has been on fire in the NCAA's scoring in bunches - this after a fairly offensively-challenged season. It seems they found the hoop - and just in time to take out Baylor.

So for starters, Morgan William will NOT score 40 points against UCONN. That that away before OT and that puts them at about 40 against Baylor. Assume that she would score about 10-15 points and another 10 or so by other players since William was not scoring. That puts them at about 65 or maybe 70 vs. Baylor.

Personally I think UCONN's defense is better, or at least better able to make adjustments. I think Mississippi State will have a hard time scoring over 70 against UCONN, and probably will be in the 60-65 range. UCONN, on the other hand, has shown they can score a bunch of ways against a bunch of defenses. UCONN's problem will be inside with 6'7" McCowan. If Pheesa and Gabby can't stop her, Geno may be forced to use Natalie, who was very competent on defense against Baylor's bigs.

UCONN 85
Miss State 65
I am continuously amazed at how "small" other teams "bigs" play against our guys. In order to score the ball you have to have it first.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
You tout defense as operative in this final four but, if memory serves, you have an opponent scoring more points than any prediction to date - hmmm! Are you saying those guard drives will overpower our UConn guarding? Just wondering

My prediction is less of a prediction and more of a function of a mathematical process. The final score was the result of a sigma function calculation where P= expected passes in the game, H= total height of the team ( without transfers), R squared is the expected time of possession for UConn, A is the expected attendance and finally S equals the number of times Uconn players have to squint to prevent looking at that ugly court.

But I will adjust my prediction to reflect your comments.

UConn 125
Mississippi State 18

Reaction Score
UCONN 80+ Geno let's the starters back off in the 4th qtr to save energy, MS 50-70 depending on making shots.

Reaction Score
86-60. William will be shut down by Nurse, which means that Viviens will have to create her own shot. That makes her drop back into her old habits, and the MissSt offense stalls. In the meantime 2016 flashbacks run amok, someone throws a roast on the court, and the Huskies beat the Bulldogs.

Honestly, I can't WAIT to see Danger guarding William. Danger is 5'5"; let's see how much shorter William is.

I hope so too but not sure how much we'll be seeing Crystal in the game.

Crystal's getting fewer minutes as we get further along the tournament. I don't know if the decrease is due to scheme or Geno's trust. She's not playing her best overall game (although she had some very nice "highlight film" pass/assists) in the tournament.

Albany - 29 min
Syracuse - 23 min
UCLA - 17 min
Oregon - 13 min

Reaction Score
Danger has flashing plays, but also makes bad decision resulting to TOs from time to time. Sometimes she tries too hard and makes unwise decision to go against bigs in the paint. And sometimes uconn also has her in the paint when a bad switch happens resulting in her guarding someone who is a foot taller. When a game is tight, this could be crucial.
I hope so too but not sure how much we'll be seeing Crystal in the game.

Crystal's getting fewer minutes as we get further along the tournament. I don't know if the decrease is due to scheme or Geno's trust. She's not playing her best overall game (although she had some very nice "highlight film" pass/assists) in the tournament.

Albany - 29 min
Syracuse - 23 min
UCLA - 17 min
Oregon - 13 min

Carnac

Reaction Score
For what it's worth.............................you draw your own conclusion.

I just saw a segment on ESPN's SportsCenter with Cari Champion about 45 minutes ago. She was Speaking with Doris Burke. When asked how she thought UConn would do against Mississippi State, Burke said that MSST had virtually no chance of beating UConn. She then proceeded to explain her answer. I'm not going to go into detail what her reasons were. Suffice it to say, she likes UConn to advance to the championship game on Sunday.

IMO, Burke is very knowledgeable about all things WCBB. Like her or not, she knows what she's talking about. College and professional basketball is her business. If thinks UConn in a shoe in Friday, that's good enough for me. I'm just a fan. I'll readily admit she knows more about WCBB, this tournament and the teams involved than I do. Basically she said while MSST has improved, they're still not in UConn's class yet. I understand there are folks here that don't care for Burke. I like her, and I respect her opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom