Schwan official next week | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Schwan official next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
re had alot of guys who didn't have other offers from bcs schools. how many guys in this class had other bcs offers. its easy to pick uconn if its your only bcs offer. its not as easy to pick uconn if you have other offers. atleast to me it seems like alot of our guys have other bcs offers. maybe im wrong?
I think we did a bit better with kids with multiple BCS offers than people think, but it definitely wasn't one of Edsall's strengths. That being said PP looks to be a better recruiter, on paper at least, than Edsall was.

Reaction Score
I think we did a bit better with kids with multiple BCS offers than people think, but it definitely wasn't one of Edsall's strengths. That being said PP looks to be a better recruiter, on paper at least, than Edsall was.

Based on their track records, I have no problem saying that P has a better history of winning battles among BCS schools for recruits than Edsall. (In fact, I've said that repeatedly since last January). Nor do I have any doubt that this class will be somewhat better than what you would expect from an Edsall class out of the ranking services.

That having been said, unless we close strongly, the differential we're seeing is not nearly as large as I would have hoped it would be.

Reaction Score
Not playing in a bowl game hurt. If we could have played in a nice bowl game and get a good solid win, that may have been enough to sway some of the bigger targets. The positive is we got a lot of good quality kids early. These kids would have all been stressing us out now if they would have not committed early as we approach signing day.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
That having been said, unless we close strongly, the differential we're seeing is not nearly as large as I would have hoped it would be.

I'd like to think he's made specific strides at two specific skill positions... but that's probably wishful thinking on my part... :)

Reaction Score
I'd like to think he's made specific strides at two specific skill positions... but that's probably wishful thinking on my part... :)

I hope he is too. But I think at QB especially, it's very hard to judge because having the skills at a camp just doesn't always translate to decision making and leadership on the field.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I hope he is too. But I think at QB especially, it's very hard to judge because having the skills at a camp just doesn't always translate to decision making and leadership on the field.
Not to mention injury... I think it's pretty safe to say that injuries contributed an awful lot to the the mess we've had at QB and the lack of production in our passing game.

Reaction Score

In terms of those "two specific skill positions", UConn has Shakim Phillips and Bryce McNeal coming is as transfer WRs. they may be better than anybody on our roster now with the exception of Smith who is coming back after his academic suspension. Nelly Cunningham and John Green are commits and the staff is aggressively going after another WR commit (Liddell or Goodluck). They certainly aren't ignoring the WR position.

Don't think you could ask for much more at QB with the CT POY in Cochran and a highly touted JUCO transfer in Whitmer. UConn and Pasqualoni will need a few seasons with some decent productivity from a QB before decent HS QBs take them seriously. Edsall's track record with QBs is going to take a while for people to forget.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

he has a family tie to purdue i guess?!?!

Reaction Score
Based on their track records, I have no problem saying that P has a better history of winning battles among BCS schools for recruits than Edsall. (In fact, I've said that repeatedly since last January). Nor do I have any doubt that this class will be somewhat better than what you would expect from an Edsall class out of the ranking services.

What was Edsall's average recruiting class per the ranking services, what did you expect PP's to be and what do you now think it will be without the closing strongly? Don't the ranking services multiply the player by the ranking and give a total so a relatively small numerical recruiting class by PP will add up to a smaller # and therefore a lower rating? How are the pretty good transfers and JC players considered in your not as large as you would have hoped it would be calculation?

Maybe we should give the Coordiantors $25,000 bonuses to reach top 25 recruiting classes like some better football schools do.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe we should give the Coordiantors $25,000 bonuses to reach top 25 recruiting classes like some better football schools do.

Only to the top guy. Give the 2nd best guy a set of steak knives. We need to set up some competition. ABC!

Reaction Score

Personally, I think he has already made some very nice strides forward! However, the greater differential you were hoping for may be due, in part anyway, to the conference uncertainty which existed for such a large portion of the year's recruiting period. A lot of kids may not have felt so comfortable considering seriously a school with such a tenuous conference outlook. I think the issues we had at QB and WR were a factor to many as well. As those positions improve, I believe you will see additional solid players considering UConn. That being said, if the BE moves forward as it is now constituted and with a stable membership (factoring in the movement already agreed to), I believe recruiting will continue it's upward trajectory!

Reaction Score
Personally, I think he has already made some very nice strides forward! However, the greater differential you were hoping for may be due, in part anyway, to the conference uncertainty which existed for such a large portion of the year's recruiting period. A lot of kids may not have felt so comfortable considering seriously a school with such a tenuous conference outlook. I think the issues we had at QB and WR were a factor to many as well. As those positions improve, I believe you will see additional solid players considering UConn. That being said, if the BE moves forward as it is now constituted and with a stable membership (factoring in the movement already agreed to), I believe recruiting will continue it's upward trajectory!

P couldn't have been helped by the conference uncertainty. On the other hand, RU and LV seem to have survived it o.k., and you would have thought the Fiesta Bowl momentum would have counted for something.

As to 68, I am not a huge fan of reading too much into the recruiting rankings (although I don't think they are totally meaningless either), but I would have hoped that P could recruit in the middle of the conference. If he can't, I don't think he will be able to sustain Edsall's results.

Reaction Score
A pretty big part of this year's recruiting plan, I think it's become quite clear, was to create and immediate and significant change to the physical profile and depth chart of this football team. There has been a very big push for experienced players in transfers and junior college recruiting. We've got more players transferred in from other BCS level programs in just this one year, than we've had cumulative transfers come in from BCS / 1-A teams in the past 15 years. We've specifically targeted junior college players to provide significant upgrade to the depth charts at positions of weakness. Somebody, a guy that's got some experience coaching at the level we want to be at, took a look at this team about a year ago, and said, we got holes to fill in this depth chart up and down - now.

I also think that at the same time, they've managed to recruit a very nice looking freshmen class out of high school at the same time, in a one year time frame, where they were late to the table with the high school seniors, and just getting started with the juniors.

I think next year, will be a very good indicator of how we will sit with recruiting rankings of high school seniors, as the kids that we're after, will have a lot more time and experience with the staff .

I also think that the coming few weeks before signing day will be a real good indicator of where we're at. We're poised to finish of a year of recruiting by either reeling in some big fish, or catching nothing but a good buzz on this fishing trip.

I do also believe, that many folks - UConn football fans specifically - have gotten their first real taste of what the lifeblood of any football program is.

Players - not coaches.

Welcome to all of the 2012 class. Looking forward to seeing y'all on the field with the rest of the guys.

Reaction Score

he has a family tie to purdue i guess?!?!

More than a casual family connection.....his dad played OL at Purdue. He will most certainly lean toward the B1G with that background.

Reaction Score
A pretty big part of this year's recruiting plan, I think it's become quite clear, was to create and immediate and significant change to the physical profile and depth chart of this football team. There has been a very big push for experienced players in transfers and junior college recruiting. We've got more players transferred in from other BCS level programs in just this one year, than we've had cumulative transfers come in from BCS / 1-A teams in the past 15 years. We've specifically targeted junior college players to provide significant upgrade to the depth charts at positions of weakness. Somebody, a guy that's got some experience coaching at the level we want to be at, took a look at this team about a year ago, and said, we got holes to fill in this depth chart up and down - now.

I also think that at the same time, they've managed to recruit a very nice looking freshmen class out of high school at the same time, in a one year time frame, where they were late to the table with the high school seniors, and just getting started with the juniors.

I think next year, will be a very good indicator of how we will sit with recruiting rankings of high school seniors, as the kids that we're after, will have a lot more time and experience with the staff .

I also think that the coming few weeks before signing day will be a real good indicator of where we're at. We're poised to finish of a year of recruiting by either reeling in some big fish, or catching nothing but a good buzz on this fishing trip.

I do also believe, that many folks - UConn football fans specifically - have gotten their first real taste of what the lifeblood of any football program is.

Players - not coaches.

Welcome to all of the 2012 class. Looking forward to seeing y'all on the field with the rest of the guys.

"Physical proflile" -- prototypes, schmototypes. Translation of P's statements about prototypes: "You can't expect me to win with this talent, can you?"

I'm not sure I expect P to win with that talent. Which is why I'm waiting to see how he does when more of the talent is his. But, to state the obvious, the program had been able to put together four straight winning years and bowl trips with that type of "non-prototypical talent."

And I don't care if you think it was the coaches winning or the players winning. Because in either event it's the eleven players on the field at a time that win or lose games. Even under Randy Edsall.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with Pasqualoni's comments on wanting prototypes.

Article excerpt on how Saban recruits :

"Saban sets a standard at each position, identifying key characteristics within each position with the offensive and defensive systems that he runs. Each prospect who is recruited, depending on the position, has to meet certain measurables (height, weight, speed, etc.), among other criteria. Rarely will Saban deviate.

"They take some heat publicly because there could be a big-time guy that may not meet their critical factors," Luginbill said. "It doesn't mean he's not a great player. It just means he's not the right fit for Alabama. You know if Alabama takes a corner under 5-foot-11 he better be so good in the other critical areas he meets because of how they run their scheme. They would have to be so convinced. There are undersized linebackers that can run all around college football. They can be great players and big recruits but they may not meet Alabama's height, weight standard for the position."

Reaction Score
"Physical proflile" -- prototypes, schmototypes. Translation of P's statements about prototypes: "You can't expect me to win with this talent, can you?"

I'm not sure I expect P to win with that talent. Which is why I'm waiting to see how he does when more of the talent is his. But, to state the obvious, the program had been able to put together four straight winning years and bowl trips with that type of "non-prototypical talent."

And I don't care if you think it was the coaches winning or the players winning. Because in either event it's the eleven players on the field at a time that win or lose games. Even under Randy Edsall.

That's a load of crap. Coach P stated the obvious to anyone that's been at the games over the years, and actually close to field level. We have historically been a slow and small football team in general in comparison to our conference peers, and in comparison to our peers within the same level of 1-A college football. The eye catching speed, talent, and size has been teh exception, not the norm at UConn.

You're not sure you expect P to win with that talent? Win what? I want dominance. I want regular top 25. I want UConn Football to reach it's full potential. I fully expect P to win, with or without talent. It's his job to win games, and it's easier to win with talent, than it is to win without.

It most certainly is NOT 11 players on the field at a time that win or lose games, except for specific circumstances in which a game comes down to the outcome of single play, and in that case - if you're going to go in that direction, the most important 11 guys on any football team are the field goal kicking unit, and guess what, one of the very first players we recruited happens to be one of the best FG kickers in teh country.

It is the DOZENS of players that see the field every week that win or lose games, and more importantly, it is the players that need to step in and take over when one of those players goes down and out that win or lose games.

Reaction Score
This is the first time in 10 years I have seen Uconn recruit a kicker that created some buzz before he got here. Kid has a boot and the kicking shouldn't miss a beat.

Reaction Score
Frigging Ferentz. I hope this kid becomes one of a long line that chooses Ferentz' college football playing days alma mater over Iowa. Go UCONN!!

Reaction Score
pp's career vs re's

pp did a good job at cuse getting guys and so far things look on a upward slant here. re's recruiting here was on a extremely slow uptick at best. now hes bringing in a below average class for md. i'm not talking developing talent, you can't knock re for that, he was great. but from a pure closing the deal on recruits matter, i give pp the nod.
Coach P was recruiting with the old Syracue brand... Re was recruiting with a new brand. Coach P got the opportunity to recruit for a Uconn Program coming off a BCS game... RE gave up the opportunity to do that. Not sure how that is evidence that P is a better closer. For whatever rankings are worth, we currently have the lowest ranked class in our conference. I just don't see it.....but I hope to Heaven you are right.

Reaction Score
The recruiting isn't that much different yet. Maybe there will be a noticeable uptick next year. Agree with bizlaw here, forget prototypes. Get football players and win games. I think schiano is big on prototypes, and a lot of them like Art Forst simply haven't been as good as a guy like Mike Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom