School Abbreviations. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

School Abbreviations.

Reaction Score
The fact that your ex boss was a Tennessee grad is the best reason I can think of to not give a flying flip about his opinion.
Nah, he’s a good guy. One of the good ones.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I went to aTm. I really don’t have a dog in the fight. Just heard it a million times from my boss who went to UT (Tennessee.)
So whom do you refer to as USC?

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Its the off-season... and I was gonna hold off until it was warmer to make this thread, but 1) its 80 degrees today and had to turn the a/c on in the car and 2) saw something in another thread that rankled me a tad. and 3) In a cranky mood and want to vent. Anyway.... when you see abbreviations for schools..... which schools comes to your mind. I saw MSU in another thread and I thought Michigan State, but it turned out to be Mississippi State.

For example: When I see OSU... I think of Oklahoma State, MSU=Michigan State, UT=Texas, UNC= University of Northern Colorado, USC=Southern Cal, SU=Southern University. UM-Michigan UC=Cincinnati, U of I =Illinois. What about yall?
Around the SEC, Mississippi State it’s just “State” because we are the only “State” University in the conference with this exception:
LSU is Louisiana State University but everyone calls them LSU.

So State is basically our moniker here in the south. Occasionally you will hear MSU but I think Michigan State has that mostly for themselves.
MState is also one of State’s abbreviations as well.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Around the SEC, Mississippi State it’s just “State” because we are the only “State” University in the conference with this exception:
LSU is Louisiana State University but everyone calls them LSU.

So State is basically our moniker here in the south. Occasionally you will hear MSU but I think Michigan State has that mostly for themselves.
MState is also one of State’s abbreviations as well.
You also have local usage as well. My relations just called Georgia Tech "Tech", differentiating it from University of Georgia. Group included grads of both.

Oddly, as to nicknames, my friends that are fans of Virginia inevitably call them the 'Hoos, as opposed to the Cavaliers. I know it is common but I don't think outsiders necessarily are on top of it.

On average, I prefer to call schools by whatever name they prefer. I don't use Ole Miss so much on my spreadsheet of opponents, although I'm not against it, it just sticks out when I do alphabetizing.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You also have local usage as well. My relations just called Georgia Tech "Tech", differentiating it from University of Georgia. Group included grads of both.

Oddly, as to nicknames, my friends that are fans of Virginia inevitably call them the 'Hoos, as opposed to the Cavaliers. I know it is common but I don't think outsiders necessarily are on top of it.

Yeah.. People around here. At least in media and on sports radio call them the Hoos.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom