School Abbreviations. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

School Abbreviations.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
UT is Tennessee, not Texas. Established long before the University of Texas. My ex boss was a TN grad, and it was his pet peeve.
The fact that your ex boss was a Tennessee grad is the best reason I can think of to not give a flying flip about his opinion.

Reaction Score
UT is Tennessee, not Texas. Established long before the University of Texas. My ex boss was a TN grad, and it was his pet peeve.

You are right based on the past history but from Google,

Screenshot (15).png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Incorrect

Then I don't EVER want to hear another soul say we aren't USC. Because we were a school LONG before California was even a state.

Since the "USC is in California" argument will never cease, Tennessee is NOT UT. Texas is. Ppl cannot sit there and say one is valid due to the fact that the school existed before the state while stating the exact same argument is invalid regarding another school.

Period.

Reaction Score
Even here in the south when I say MSU, meaning Mississippi State, I've had a few glances and had a coworker tell me MSU is Michigan State. I suppose both are true. If you are a Mississippi person, it's "State" and how it's differentiated from Ole Miss or USM.

I don't really get bent out of shape about it as both likely have a legit claim. I would say my accent gives away the fact I've never lived or spent much time in Michigan.

Reaction Score
Even here in the south when I say MSU, meaning Mississippi State, I've had a few glances and had a coworker tell me MSU is Michigan State. I suppose both are true. If you are a Mississippi person, it's "State" and how it's differentiated from Ole Miss or USM.

I don't really get bent out of shape about it as both likely have a legit claim. I would say my accent gives away the fact I've never lived or spent much time in Michigan.
Kind of along the same line... I did a long term travel nursing assignment in Wilmington, NC in the ER of the hospital there and worked with a lot of UNC fans. Of course we argue between us who the "real Carolina" is, especially with both schools originally being ACC. I wore down the UNC fans on staff to the point where they just conceded "Carolina" to South Carolina. LOL.

Persistence (plus dirty looks and Muschamp-like death glares) paid off.

Plus I'm pretty sure ppl thing Gamecock fans border on insanity when it comes to all things Carolina. That may have influenced them giving in, too. :eek:

Reaction Score
My goodness! It's regional preference...and that ain't gonna change in our lifetime...even if it does say so on the Boneyard.

So, for you, is it:
  • mash, smash, or push that button
  • do you eat supper or dinner
  • is your soft drink a pop or a soda
  • is it you guys, all of you, you'ins, or ya'll
  • is it a car wreck or a car accident
  • do your automobile bumpers have plates or tags
  • do you carry stuff in a bag or a poke
  • Is it a shopping basket, a shopping cart, or a shopping buggy
  • do you wear shorts of bermudas
  • is it lightning bugs or fireflies
  • is it a lollipop or a sucker
  • is it a water fountain, a drinking fountain, or a bubbler
  • do you wear sneakers or tennis shoes
  • and on and on and on it goes, depending of course on where you live. ;)

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Kind of along the same line... I did a long term travel nursing assignment in Wilmington, NC in the ER of the hospital there and worked with a lot of UNC fans. Of course we argue between us who the "real Carolina" is, especially with both schools originally being ACC. I wore down the UNC fans on staff to the point where they just conceded "Carolina" to South Carolina. LOL.

Plus I'm pretty sure ppl thing Gamecock fans border on insanity when it comes to all things Carolina. That may have influenced them giving in, too. :eek:
Carolina Panthers
Carolina Hurricanes

Reaction Score
My goodness! It's regional preference...and that ain't gonna change in our lifetime...even if it does say so on the Boneyard.

So, for you, is it:
  • mash the button
  • dinner is at noon, supper is in the evening
  • it's ALL referred to as Coke unless it's sweet tea, of course.
  • y'all (you misspelled it.. Just saying)
  • car wreck
  • tags
  • bag (never heard of a poke)
  • buggy
  • shorts
  • lightning bugs
  • sucker
  • water fountain
  • tennis shoes

In the miscellaneous category:
  • when you are "about to" to do something it is said as "fixin' to" ie: I'm fixin to go to the store.
  • bless your heart does not mean what ppl outside the South think it does.
  • "I reckon" is a daily part of my conversations.
  • directions to places often involve context clues such as "drive a short spell past Mr./Mrs So-and-So's house and hang a left/right" and this makes perfect sense to us.
- children are "youngins."

Reaction Score

From living in Greensboro for many years I am surprised Wilmington people let you get away with calling SC the real Carolina lol. The Tar Heel faithful are pretty rabid when they wish to be (but I am a good United Methodist and pull for Duke though I have no beef with UNC).

Reaction Score

So, for you, is it:
Push
Dinner
Soda
Y'all (proudly)
Accident but confess I used "wreck" for many years when I was younger
Tags
Bag
Cart
shorts
lightening bugs
sucker
Water fountain
sneakers

Reaction Score

So, for you, is it:
  • do you eat supper or dinner Dinner is late lunch. Supper is after6:00
  • is your soft drink a pop or a soda. It's all coke.
  • do you carry stuff in a bag or a poke Unless the stuff you carry is a pig.
Water hose, garden hose or hose pipe?

Is it wa ter, wat er or war ter?

A lot also depends on age. TV etc is lessening regional differences.

Reaction Score
Water hose, garden hose or hose pipe?

Is it wa ter, wat er or war ter?

A lot also depends on age. TV etc is lessening regional differences.
Pee-can or pa-cahn (pee-can)

Water hose.... Wa-ter

Wash or warsh? Wash

Let's ask them how they would pronounce Huger and Gervais. And Beaufort. And Lancaster. Lololol. Iykyk.

ETA: and Horry.

Also... Don't even get me started on whether barbecue is a noun or a verb. (It's a noun.. It's a type of food. Not a way to cook food)

What they refer to as a backyard barbeque is a cook out.

Reaction Score

Water hose.... Wa-ter

Wash or warsh? Wash

Let's ask them how they would pronounce Huger and Gervais. And Beaufort. And Lancaster. Lololol. Iykyk.

Also... Don't even get me started on whether barbecue is a noun or a verb. (It's a noun.. It's a type of food. Not a way to cook food)

In Georgia, you ask how they pronounce Cairo (Kay-row), Buena Vista (Bona Vista) and a slew of others. But they get Rome and Athens right!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Interesting that you can see some regional differences just in the scattered comments on the board.

Some are also either / or. I might call it soda or less often a Coke (its actually a Pepsi) but not a pop. Supper is certainly in the evening but dinner is just the largest meal of the day, usually at supper. Similarly, I've used Fireflies and Lightning Bugs interchangeably. And shopping cart and "basket" as well.

Now, there are a few on your list I just don't know - mashing, smashing, bubblers, and pokes. And I have never had exposure to the very popular "tennis shoes" although I think I have read it is actually the most popular name for what we call sneakers.

As to pecans, well, I vary. My Grandmother said it one way, everyone else I am around another, so I vary.

Regional city pronunciations have been a subject for another thread, they are all over the place. @ThatCG1801 - Horry as in the South Carolina county? I knew, as that's where my wife's parents lived for a number of years and her dad passed there. But I forget, feel free to remind me. I do seem to remember it wasn't what I thought.

Reaction Score
Interesting that you can see some regional differences just in the scattered comments on the board.

Some are also either / or. I might call it soda or less often a Coke (its actually a Pepsi) but not a pop. Supper is certainly in the evening but dinner is just the largest meal of the day, usually at supper. Similarly, I've used Fireflies and Lightning Bugs interchangeably. And shopping cart and "basket" as well.

Now, there are a few on your list I just don't know - mashing, smashing, bubblers, and pokes. And I have never had exposure to the very popular "tennis shoes" although I think I have read it is actually the most popular name for what we call sneakers.

As to pecans, well, I vary. My Grandmother said it one way, everyone else I am around another, so I vary.

Regional city pronunciations have been a subject for another thread, they are all over the place. @ThatCG1801 - Horry as in the South Carolina county? I knew, as that's where my wife's parents lived for a number of years and her dad passed there. But I forget, feel free to remind me. I do seem to remember it wasn't what I thought.
Yep. Horry County in SC. It's OR-ee. The H is silent. Some will pronounce it OH-ree as well.

Reaction Score

Water hose.... Wa-ter

Wash or warsh? Wash

In Georgia, you ask how they pronounce Cairo (Kay-row), Buena Vista (Bona Vista) and a slew of others. But they get Rome and Athens right!

Yep. Horry County in SC. It's OR-ee. The H is silent. Some will pronounce it OH-ree as well.

Just in case you didn't know, but I sincerely hope that all-y'all and I don't have to call this comradery that we have here off. :D

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
  • mash the button
  • dinner is at noon, supper is in the evening
  • it's ALL referred to as Coke unless it's sweet tea, of course.
  • y'all (you misspelled it.. Just saying)
  • car wreck
  • tags
  • buggy
  • shorts
  • lightning bugs
  • sucker
  • water fountain
  • tennis shoes

In the miscellaneous category:
  • when you are "about to" to do something it is said as "fixin' to" ie: I'm fixin to go to the store.
  • bless your heart does not mean what ppl outside the South think it does.
  • "I reckon" is a daily part of my conversations.
  • directions to places often involve context clues such as "drive a short spell past Mr./Mrs So-and-So's house and hang a left/right" and this makes perfect sense to us.
- children are "youngins."
I've lived in SC a long time, but I'm not a native. Some of those items are more rural/Upstate, I think.

To me:

• push the button
  • dinner and supper are both in the evening, but dinner is more of a full meal
  • Soda refers to any carbonated drink except for club soda, which is spelled out
  • y'all (you misspelled it.. Just saying) I use it and you guys interchangeably
  • car accident
  • tags (license plates?)
  • shopping cart
  • shorts (yes)
  • lightning bugs (yes)
  • lollipop
  • water fountain
  • sneakers

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I've lived in SC a long time, but I'm not a native. Some of those items are more rural/Upstate, I think.

To me:

• push the button
  • dinner and supper are both in the evening, but dinner is more of a full meal
  • Soda refers to any carbonated drink except for club soda, which is spelled out
  • y'all (you misspelled it.. Just saying) I use it and you guys interchangeably
  • car accident
  • tags (license plates?)
  • shopping cart
  • shorts (yes)
  • lightning bugs (yes)
  • lollipop
  • water fountain
  • sneakers
Well, I say license plates, but actually, of everyone, you are by far the closest to this NJ native.

For everyone - not just you - disclaiming knowledge of a "poke" - I've never heard it used in regular speaking, but I have heard it - reference is "pig in a poke" - which means a pig in a bag or sack, i.e. you don't get to see what you are purchasing if you buy a pig in a poke.

For NJ folks, the big issue is "pork roll" or "Taylor Ham". I grew up with the 2nd, but most commonly use the 1st - although the brand is indeed Taylor.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
From living in Greensboro for many years I am surprised Wilmington people let you get away with calling SC the real Carolina lol. The Tar Heel faithful are pretty rabid when they wish to be (but I am a good United Methodist and pull for Duke though I have no beef with UNC).

Another early nominee for BY Poster of the Year. Probable favorite in the SEC fan Division.

giphy.gif

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Well, I say license plates, but actually, of everyone, you are by far the closest to this NJ native.

For everyone - not just you - disclaiming knowledge of a "poke" - I've never heard it used in regular speaking, but I have heard it - reference is "pig in a poke" - which means a pig in a bag or sack, i.e. you don't get to see what you are purchasing if you buy a pig in a poke.

For NJ folks, the big issue is "pork roll" or "Taylor Ham". I grew up with the 2nd, but most commonly use the 1st - although the brand is indeed Taylor.
Since I grew up in almost the geographic center of NJ, that makes sense. I've heard the expression, "pig in a poke", but I don't think I've ever used it. Believe it or not, I've never tried Taylor Ham or Pork Roll, though I've certainly heard of both. We kept a kosher home when I lived in Jersey, so I'm sure that's why I never had it. It's definitely on my list next time I'm up there.

Reaction Score
Looks at post, then looks at your avatar :rolleyes:
Yeah, I went to aTm. I really don’t have a dog in the fight. Just heard it a million times from my boss who went to UT (Tennessee.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom