School Abbreviations. | The Boneyard

School Abbreviations.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Its the off-season... and I was gonna hold off until it was warmer to make this thread, but 1) its 80 degrees today and had to turn the a/c on in the car and 2) saw something in another thread that rankled me a tad. and 3) In a cranky mood and want to vent. Anyway.... when you see abbreviations for schools..... which schools comes to your mind. I saw MSU in another thread and I thought Michigan State, but it turned out to be Mississippi State.

For example: When I see OSU... I think of Oklahoma State, MSU=Michigan State, UT=Texas, UNC= University of Northern Colorado, USC=Southern Cal, SU=Southern University. UM-Michigan UC=Cincinnati, U of I =Illinois. What about yall?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
80 degrees?! We've had a hard time even getting into the 50s all year so far here in the PNW. Is it the heat making you cranky, or something else?

You left out USF, that seems to be another of your favorites to declare "the real" version of.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
BCU - Boston College University also known by their informal nickname, Fredo.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
OSU for me of course is Oregon St. You have to refer to it as tOSU if you are talking about that school in Columbus.

UW (pronounced as U Dub always, no exceptions) is obviously Washington. I'm not sure if Wisconsin really uses that abbreviation much.

Does Gonzaga even have to fight anybody over GU?

Is there any other SPU than Seattle Pacific? Or PLU (Pacific Lutheran)? Or UPS (U. of Puget Sound)? And then we've got all the directional schools, CWU, WWU and EWU--Central, Western and Eastern. I don't remember it being a thing when I was there, but now the cool kids call it C Woo. I think Western was already Woo Woo from way back when.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Its the off-season... and I was gonna hold off until it was warmer to make this thread, but 1) its 80 degrees today and had to turn the a/c on in the car and 2) saw something in another thread that rankled me a tad. and 3) In a cranky mood and want to vent. Anyway.... when you see abbreviations for schools..... which schools comes to your mind. I saw MSU in another thread and I thought Michigan State, but it turned out to be Mississippi State.

For example: When I see OSU... I think of Oklahoma State, MSU=Michigan State, UT=Texas, UNC= University of Northern Colorado, USC=Southern Cal, SU=Southern University. UM-Michigan UC=Cincinnati, U of I =Illinois. What about yall?
Yes - MSU is Michigan State to me as well, OSU Oregon State, tOSU Ohio State, UT is Texas, UNC - North Carolina, USC - Southern Cal

I don't think UM, UC or U of I are anything I use. UW is indeed Washington.

USF is South Florida.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
80 degrees?! We've had a hard time even getting into the 50s all year so far here in the PNW. Is it the heat making you cranky, or something else?

You left out USF, that seems to be another of your favorites to declare "the real" version of.

Yeah... USF is another one. Its been around (San Fran) for years, and now recently South Florida wants to claim USF.. come on man.

I guess as you advance in age, you get cranky for no reason :D I was a bit perplexed at lunch.... I thought the cashier asked if I wanted sauce (ordered a BBQ plate) .. got home and opened up the bag, no hot sauce, but a few packets of salt. :confused:

Everyone can't have a 4 letter word for there University name!

That is true.

Reaction Score

Really UNC ……. Northern Colorado

Reaction Score
Interesting that Udub and UConn both claim Huskies as mascots. There are others that do, I know, but I can't think of their initials...
I like Jose Fernandez, but sorry, USF is U of San Francisco (Bill Russell) and SU is Seattle University (Elgin Baylor). For some reason the latter is often associated with Syracuse. Can't imagine why.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Interesting that Udub and UConn both claim Huskies as mascots. There are others that do, I know, but I can't think of their initials...
I like Jose Fernandez, but sorry, USF is U of San Francisco (Bill Russell) and SU is Seattle University (Elgin Baylor). For some reason the latter is often associated with Syracuse. Can't imagine why.

Northern Illinois, Houston Baptist, and Northeastern are all huskies. I guess I favor the Washington version as I have 3 Udub hats vs just 1 UConn hat.

Reaction Score
Jim Brown played at Syracuse and was an all pro in Cleveland before Baylor.

Reaction Score
My granddaughter attends Udub, and frequently wears her UCONN sweatshirt (that she heisted from her dad) to classes. Go figure.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Northern Illinois, Houston Baptist, and Northeastern are all huskies.
Houston Baptist seems to be the outlier here. Otherwise it is clear that Huskies prefer more northerly climates.

Reaction Score
When I was at PSU, their football's biggest rivals are:
OSU, Ohio State
ND, Notre Dame
MSU, Michigan State
USC, Southern Cal
BC, Boston College
UT, University Texas

Reaction Score
When I was at PSU, their football's biggest rivals are:
OSU, Ohio State
ND, Notre Dame
MSU, Michigan State
USC, Southern Cal
BC, Boston College
UT, University Texas
I don’t remember texas and psu playing alot

Reaction Score
USC = South Carolina
Carolina = South Carolina
UNC = Not Carolina
RU = Rutgers
CU - Columbia
OSU = Ohio State
UM = Maryland
UTjr = Tennessee
These are the correct answers.

I would add UT is Texas just for clarification's sake.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
USC = South Carolina
Carolina = South Carolina
UNC = Not Carolina
RU = Rutgers
CU - Columbia
OSU = Ohio State
UM = Maryland
UTjr = Tennessee
It’s interesting that in Maryland, University of Maryland isn’t UM, it’s UMD.

A couple that I’ve always found interesting are University of Colorado is CU and University of Kansas is KU.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

A couple that I’ve always found interesting are University of Colorado is CU and University of Kansas is KU.
I have several family members that are Maryland grads and they use UM.

Reaction Score

If Maryland is UMD then The University of Connecticut is UCT.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If Maryland is UMD then The University of Connecticut is UCT.

And University of Virginia ia UVA.

I have several family members that are Maryland grads and they use UM.

Interesting — maybe different parts of campus? I’ve had close contact with the University for 30 years and don’t ever remember hearing it referred to as UM.

ETA — I have heard UMCP

Reaction Score
And University of Virginia ia UVA.

Interesting — maybe different parts of campus? I’ve had close contact with the University for 30 years and don’t ever remember hearing it referred to as UM.

ETA — I have heard UMCP
From wiki,

Screenshot (14).png

Reaction Score

80s degrees!? Lucky rascal! Here in Minnesota (Golden Valley, we got up to 45 degrees with a real feel of 36 degrees.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom