Schiano in hot water... | The Boneyard

Schiano in hot water...

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's been the assumption since it happened. It's amazing he is still there.

Reaction Score
It blows my mind that people on this site have had the chutspah to throw his out as a candidate to be the next UConn HC. Really about the only thing he has on his resume is decent recruiting (shmoozing, conning, etc) abilities. how an NFL team thought it would be a good idea to hire him is beyond me. these teams ask about players most private details, but Tampa couldn't figure this guy out??

When it comes to the levels of sleaze, hiring Schiano would be about the equivalent of the b-ball program hiring the Squid. Except with the Squid, you might actually get to celebrate winning, at least until it all gets stripped.

Reaction Score
I would hire him. I might have to swallow some bile as I said Greg Schiano is the UConn coach, but i would hire him.

He did the seemingly impossible at RU.
He recruits like no one we have ever had
His players love him
They seemingly go to classes that are at a U level
He would bring the toughness that has been lacking back

I would caveat it by saying he had to bring the NJ recruiter he had -Hadley(?)

And I doubt he would accept the offer - from NFL HC living in a tax-free state making millions to the AAC, to coach ion CT, where they tax the air you breathe.

Reaction Score
Whats the point of recruiting real well but not winning anything?

He won at RU when the BE was actually a tough conference. We went to the BCS in a down year, don't kid yourself. I would welcome him, we need a guy who can recruit like him and get the fanbase fired up. We're in the AAC people, we need a salesman.

Reaction Score
I would hire him. I might have to swallow some bile as I said Greg Schiano is the UConn coach, but i would hire him.

He did the seemingly impossible at RU. His conference record was lousy and no conference championships, we have two
He recruits like no one we have ever had Compare the number of players UCONN has in the NFL to Rutgers, not much difference and the state of NJ gives Rutgers a built in advantage
His players love him Don't tell that to Tampa Bay
They seemingly go to classes that are at a U level Seemingly is the right word
He would bring the toughness that has been lacking back He would turn us into a thug program. He is an obnoxious thug.

Reaction Score
Here's a simple question... Where would you prefer to be today...where RU is as a program or where we are? Schiano left RU with talent in the pipeling. Edsall on the other hand....

Reaction Score
Here's a simple question... Where would you prefer to be today...where RU is as a program or where we are? Schiano left RU with talent in the pipeling. Edsall on the other hand....[/quote

We killed Rutgers two years ago with P as our coach and Schiano their coach...and that was one of his better teams. Last years game was closer then the score indicates. Rutgers has improved without him.

Schiano is a joke on the sideline.

Reaction Score
Here's a simple question... Where would you prefer to be today...where RU is as a program or where we are? Schiano left RU with talent in the pipeling. Edsall on the other hand....

They didnt have to suffer through PP and GDL

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Please. Edsall left plenty to win 7-8 games in 2011. He didn't hand away games to Vandy and WMU.

Reaction Score
It blows my mind that people on this site has had the chutspah to throw his out as a candidate to be the next UConn HC. Really about the only thing he has on his resume is decent recruiting (shmoozing, conning, etc) abilities. how an NFL team thought it would be a good idea to hire him is beyond me. these teams ask about players most private details, but Tampa couldn't figure this guy out??

When it comes to the levels of sleaze, hiring Schiano would be about the equivalent of the b-ball program hiring the Squid. Except with the Squid, you might actually get to celebrate winning, at least until it all gets stripped.
Bill Belechick talked him into it and 5M a year 3yr guarantee convinced him IIRC?I wouldn't be surprised to see BB hire him at NE if he's available.But its hard for me to see him as anyones 2nd banana!He's a real control freak!

Reaction Score

He did the seemingly impossible at RU.
He recruits like no one we have ever had
His players love him
They seemingly go to classes that are at a U level
He would bring the toughness that has been lacking back

I would caveat it by saying he had to bring the NJ recruiter he had -Hadley(?)

And I doubt he would accept the offer - from NFL HC living in a tax-free state making millions to the AAC, to coach ion CT, where they tax the air you breathe.
Hafley,the "real" great recruiter!!When Jeff came from Pitt as a NJ native RU started getting some unbelieveable recruits that he was bringing to Wannstadt before he was let go!Pitt made a huge mistake firing Wannstadt before he could finish the job!He was really stockpiling the talent and had winning records yearly.Wanny loved Pitt and would never have left if mega successful but the AD didn't realise how hard it is to find quality AND loyalty!

Reaction Score
Please. Edsall left plenty to win 7-8 games in 2011. He didn't hand away games to Vandy and WMU.
How did we hand the wmu game away? Don't Brown had no answer for their short quick passing game and then they figured out the could target Agbor, and Wilburn on every play and exploited the heck out of it. The only year P gets a pass for is year one. JMac, was just not a good option at qb, but then again he should have let Nebrich play.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I know people love him as a recruiter, but as I said in another thread, he was recruiting in a fertile recruiting ground. He just had to get kids to stay home and he would have a good class. PP got kids to stay home also. That isn't as hard to do as get kids to leave an area. Getting CT kids to stay home wont be good enough.

I don't think it is a fair assumption that if schiano came to UConn he would recruit that well.

Plus, I don't think he s the program changer that we need now.

Reaction Score

I love your enthusiasm, but this is franklly a stupid post.

1. We won a BE title while getting beat like a red-headed step child in the "conf championship". We were a conf champ in our minds only. WVU was on another level. The 2d championship led us to where we are today - a bad conference stealing seats at the BCS party. One of the reasons we are in the AAC is because of the Fiesta - yup, that great year when we got beat up, literally, by Temple and were left for dead by Ville. We were 8 and frigging 5. How many conferences other than the BE team have 5 loss teams in the BCS?
2. You must be very young. RU may have more guys on the Pats than we have in the league. And how many guys on our respective rosters would you say will be drafted this year? Or next? last, do you have any idea how many good players from jersey went to RU before Schiano? NONE. NJHS was recruting grounds for schools other than RU. Look at it now - they are lining them up by the dozens. And that pipeline aint changing anytime soon. That was unthinkable before he got there.
3. I meant hsi college palyers - pro is a job, rarely do players love their coach. Look at Saban or Spurrier and tell me how many of his pro players loved him.
4. UConn has got to stop taking potshots at other schools - we are viewed as a school that puts academics 2d or 3d, thanks to JC's win at all costs approach. This would be another reason we are sitting in the AAC. RU is held in high regard. You may not like it, and you may be right, but perception is reality.
5. I dont care if he comes, I said I thought he would see this as a huge step back. But UConn is viewed as the thug program, not RU. You can keep trying to fight it, but we have got to recognize the costs that came with those championships. He may be a bad gameday coach, but if you dont think he would raise the profile of the program, attract recruits, and upgrade the performance to position us for the P5, I would simply shake my head and disagree.

Reaction Score
How did we hand the wmu game away? Don't Brown had no answer for their short quick passing game and then they figured out the could target Agbor, and Wilburn on every play and exploited the heck out of it. The only year P gets a pass for is year one. JMac, was just not a good option at qb, but then again he should have let Nebrich play.

PP had the team practice (vast majority) for the run leading up to the WMU game. That alone should tell you how clueless he was.

Reaction Score
PP had the team practice (vast majority) for the run leading up to the WMU game. That alone should tell you how clueless he was.

It really is shocking at what Pasqualoni accomplished at UCONN, to me at least. This was a guy, that in football, was literally awe inspiring when I was a high school kid. Tracking his career from a far through the NFL, and then back, I was able to justify things, and believe that things would be good moving forward. From the late 1980s to the early 1990s, Syracuse went something like 60-10.

I've come to realize that the guy was most likely a product of being in the right place at the right time, and being able to recruit some very good players based on the successes on the field, and was probably a good manager of people, in hiring assistants (except for George Deleone - who was part of bringing him down there - and here).....you can't be a head coach that long, and not have some people skills.

Unfortunate for UCONN. Sucks. But it's over.

Reaction Score
So Don Brown, the DC, had no say in the game plan? Hard to believe, also they took advantage of our blitzing early, with short and intermediate passes, eventually in the second half they went hard at Wilburn and Agbor. Offensively they are up our defense. It was IMO, Browns worst job as DC.

Reaction Score
I love your enthusiasm, but this is franklly a stupid post.

1. We won a BE title while getting beat like a red-headed step child in the "conf championship". We were a conf champ in our minds only. WVU was on another level. The 2d championship led us to where we are today - a bad conference stealing seats at the BCS party. One of the reasons we are in the AAC is because of the Fiesta - yup, that great year when we got beat up, literally, by Temple and were left for dead by Ville. We were 8 and frigging 5. How many conferences other than the BE team have 5 loss teams in the BCS?
2. You must be very young. RU may have more guys on the Pats than we have in the league. And how many guys on our respective rosters would you say will be drafted this year? Or next? last, do you have any idea how many good players from jersey went to RU before Schiano? NONE. NJHS was recruting grounds for schools other than RU. Look at it now - they are lining them up by the dozens. And that pipeline aint changing anytime soon. That was unthinkable before he got there.
3. I meant hsi college palyers - pro is a job, rarely do players love their coach. Look at Saban or Spurrier and tell me how many of his pro players loved him.
4. UConn has got to stop taking potshots at other schools - we are viewed as a school that puts academics 2d or 3d, thanks to JC's win at all costs approach. This would be another reason we are sitting in the AAC. RU is held in high regard. You may not like it, and you may be right, but perception is reality.
5. I dont care if he comes, I said I thought he would see this as a huge step back. But UConn is viewed as the thug program, not RU. You can keep trying to fight it, but we have got to recognize the costs that came with those championships. He may be a bad gameday coach, but if you dont think he would raise the profile of the program, attract recruits, and upgrade the performance to position us for the P5, I would simply shake my head and disagree.

^^This^^

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Schiano is on the short list for worst NFL head coach of all time. Is this a real discussion. I don't have a fever, so I don't think I'm hallucinating...

He did less at Rutgers than Edsall did at UConn - on top of the fact he's a grade A . The names you read here are painful some days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom