Scheduling needs going forward | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Scheduling needs going forward

Reaction Score
I would add UMass to your list and play them annually on rivalry weekend. It would take effort, but UConn has not had a real rival since leaving the Yankee Conference. But they meet the basic criteria in that they are close, play a similar schedule, are a similar institution. And we have a long history. There will be shocking upsets and nail items and blowouts and hopefully mostly UConn wins. And it is about making football fun and meaningful again. And we aren’t getting annual series with BC, Rutgers or Syracuse. We will likely play them all regularly, but not annually. There is something about having one game that you want to win and hate to lose and of the options, UMass is by far the best.

Reaction Score
I would add UMass to your list and play them annually on rivalry weekend. It would take effort, but UConn has not had a real rival since leaving the Yankee Conference. But they meet the basic criteria in that they are close, play a similar schedule, are a similar institution. And we have a long history. There will be shocking upsets and nail items and blowouts and hopefully mostly UConn wins. And it is about making football fun and meaningful again. And we aren’t getting annual series with BC, Rutgers or Syracuse. We will likely play them all regularly, but not annually. There is something about having one game that you want to win and hate to lose and of the options, UMass is by far the best.

You may be right, but I just can’t see this being exciting. We have both been doormat programs for several years, but we were once much better. An annual UMass game seems ok, but playing it rivalry week and expecting it to be exciting is a stretch. I can’t see anyone on the CT side looking forward to that game.

Reaction Score
Don't play second fiddle to Notre Dame.. One for one and the UCONN home game at the Rent. Otherwise forget it.

Sorry, but no. Lets not make that terrible mistake again. Play Notre Dame anywhere, anytime. If they offered a 5 game plan and all the games were at ND we $hould take it, that said hopefully they will be interested in playing us at Yankee stadium, who knows, maybe even next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry, but no. Lets not make that terrible mistake again. Play Notre Dame anywhere, anytime. If they offered a 5 game plan and all the games were at ND we $hould take it, that said hopefully they will be interested in playing us at Yankee stadium, who knows, maybe even next year.
Gotta like a fellow Mets fan. Doesn't Notre Dame still owe UCONN a game - they were supposed to play UCONN in the Northeast but cancelled.

Reaction Score
Gotta like a fellow Mets fan. Doesn't Notre Dame still owe UCONN a game - they were supposed to play UCONN in the Northeast but cancelled.

A musing on the end of the Notre Dame series ... - The UConn Blog

"all are not overjoyed at dropping the series with Notre Dame, which would have featured three games in South Bend (and a fourth game at ND this November which won’t be affected by this announcement) and three games split between East Rutherford and Foxboro."

Interesting last line which aged well, reason being in the article, because Uconn will be playing H & H's vs. TENN and Michigan:
" But UConn just doesn’t need the series any more. And so, quite simply, they won’t play it. "

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

A musing on the end of the Notre Dame series ... - The UConn Blog

"all are not overjoyed at dropping the series with Notre Dame, which would have featured three games in South Bend (and a fourth game at ND this November which won’t be affected by this announcement) and three games split between East Rutherford and Foxboro."

Interesting last line which aged well, reason being in the article, because Uconn will be playing H & H's vs. TENN and Michigan:
" But UConn just doesn’t need the series any more. And so, quite simply, they won’t play it. "
The actual reason the series was cancelled was because UConn's contract with the state did not allow UConn to host games outside the Rent. UConn couldn't get the state to waive that provision for Notre Dame and then the whole series fell apart.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The actual reason the series was cancelled was because UConn's contract with the state did not allow UConn to host games outside the Rent. UConn couldn't get the state to waive that provision for Notre Dame and then the whole series fell apart.
Just wow. :(

Reaction Score
True but , IIRC, it had more to do with the minimum 6 game a year requirement that Uconn and the state agreed to, to get the Rent built as the major tenant. There was a lot of politicking going on at the state level but it could've still been done on the years Uconn booked 7 "home games" with a game in NY/NJ or MA.. Don't forget just a few years later Fenway Park "bought" and moved a RENT home game to BOS, in the Uconn-BC H & H series, with no issues. Looking back and now scrambling for quality games as an Indy, the original 10 year ND deal that got botched, is another costly miss hit by Hathaway and Co.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Notre Dame can go pound sand. If there was a single trace of morals in anyone associated with that school I would agree with you 100% that UConn should play them even if all their games are in South Bend.
That school has screwed up some aspects of college athletics in areas involving conference/scheduling and the ripple effect was/is hurtful to many programs. If you join a conference you join a conference 100%. For a school that thinks their crap doesn't smell, they sure have been mediocre overall in recent history in many sports - albeit their womens BB team is an exception. They don't deserve the ridiculous amount of respect and political pull they enjoy.
There are plenty of teams UConn can go and play that are just as visible and put a better product on the field.
IF UConn hosts Notre Dame it's to be at the Rent - no Foxboro/Fenway/NY/NJ garbage.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame can go pound sand. If there was a single trace of morals in anyone associated with that school I would agree with you 100% that UConn should play them even if all their games are in South Bend.
That school has screwed up some aspects of college athletics in areas involving conference/scheduling and the ripple effect was/is hurtful to many programs. If you join a conference you join a conference 100%. For a school that thinks their crap doesn't smell, they sure have been mediocre overall in recent history in many sports - albeit their womens BB team is an exception. They don't deserve the ridiculous amount of respect and political pull they enjoy.
There are plenty of teams UConn can go and play that are just as visible and put a better product on the field.
IF UConn hosts Notre Dame it's to be at the Rent - no Foxboro/Fenway/NY/NJ garbage.
Interesting discussion, but I think that you are wasting time debating whether UConn should play ND.

The premise seems to be that there would be any interest on ND's part to schedule UConn in football.

There appears to be no such interest on ND's part. It doesn't help recruiting. It hurts ND's SOS. ND recalls the 10 game rejection.

ND can find schools to play it at Foxboro and Yankee Stadium, and has in the recent past.

ND has a 2022 opening, but is in talks to play BYU in Las Vegas.

There are no rumors at all that ND is trying to schedule UConn, so this is merely an academic discussion.

P.S. ND is a football independent with its other programs in a conference....just like UConn. Did UConn "not have a single trace of morals" when it left the AAC to do so ??

(ND is a football independent for the same reason as UConn. Both deem it in their best economic and other self interest. Period. Spare me the "morals" talk)

If the ACC offered UConn the exact same "ND type deal" today, would UConn turn it down on "moral grounds"??

P.P.S. "Mediocre overall in recent history in many sports."

ND baseball just smoked UConn to win its regional. It lost a superregional to eventual national champion Mississippi State 2-1 in Starkville.

It went 34-13 this year (won its division, had the best ACC regular season record by 4 1/2 games), 11-2 last year.

ND lacrosse played in the NCAA semifinal playoff game this year.

Women's lacrosse made it to the quarterfinal NCAA playoff game this year.

ND hockey has made it to the Frozen Four several times recently and does very well in the Big Ten.

ND softball just went 33-15 and played in a regional, losing to host Kentucky in the second of two games against the Wildcats.

ND fencing just won its 11th national championship this past season.

ND men's basketball won the ACC in 2015 and had two Elite 8 finishes in 2015-16, but has tailed off lately.

You guys are familiar with ND women's basketball.

ND's football team has gone 43-8 with two playoff berths in the last four years, with two undefeated regular seasons (one indy, one ACC member) and with double digit win totals all four years.

I guess everything is relative, but I think that most college sports departments would think those are better than "mediocre" results.

(What would UConn fans be saying if UConn football went 43-8 with two playoff berths ? Would you deem such results "mediocre"?)

Reaction Score
What a blowhard. Weird to hang on this board waiting to drop all that.

UConn football still 1-0 all time vs ND… guess that won’t change.

He has an opinion that differs from the board's.... it seems like the Irish are like the bullfighters cape...a ripple of red fabric and synapses close and the horns lower.

Reaction Score
What a blowhard. Weird to hang on this board waiting to drop all that.

UConn football still 1-0 all time vs ND… guess that won’t change.

I don't hang out here, but check in occasionally.

I rarely post here lately, but saw what I thought were two grossly erroneous statements and responded.

UConn did ND a favor in 2009. That lead to Charley Weis getting fired and Brian Kelly hired.

ND is 102-39 since then.

Take care.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He has an opinion that differs from the board's.... it seems like the Irish are like the bullfighters cape...a ripple of red fabric and synapses close and the horns lower.
We have terry that plays the ND minder, and Hartford Hank the BC minder. We seem to have virtually no other trolls. I understand Hank, BC is local and he seems to be local. I don’t get why we have a ND minder.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What’s wrong with what he said? Is there something he said that was inaccurate?
Nothing wrong with what I said either; head to head UConn 1 - ND 0.

Reaction Score
IMHO, somewhere between " I hate all things ND" and " ND is the greatest thing in college sports essay " lies the truth. Let's be real, ND can't carry Uconn's jock strap in hoops since the time they joined the Big East. But Uconn wasn't even on the same planet in FB ( unless Charlie Weis was HC.. :D) just 8 years into the FBS. So the original 10 year FB deal could've been a nice chip for the Huskies if they had worked it out with say a 5 in South Bend - 3 ( NY-MA)- 2 @ the RENT deal. It might have even swayed CR to the ACC.... in Uconn's favor over Louisville if ND-Uconn where tied at the hip in FB for that long.

It's all about filling seats and if Notre Dame's fanbase as the long established program could've helped fill Uconn's coffers in an 80,000 seat venue in the NE swing (instead of 40,000 @ the Rent), hooray for Uconn. Plus Uconn would've had an annual "rivalry game" with one of the most storied programs in the FBS. Instead of the Umass one, some people are talking about now.

To me it would've been Uconn using ND to build itself up as a newbie in big boy FB, but don't just take my word on it:
“These games will be a tremendous recruiting tool for our program, enhance our national television exposure and also increase our program’s visibility by playing Notre Dame in two large metropolitan areas in which we have a significant alumni presence,” said coach Randy Edsall.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
UConn did ND a favor in 2009. That lead to Charley Weis getting fired and Brian Kelly hired.

FYI, the term you're looking for is "thank you"

Reaction Score

ND is 102-39 since then.

Take care.
To be fair to Weis he never got a student killed in the name Notre Dame football. Brian Kelly can win every game he is still scum.

Reaction Score
IMHO, somewhere between " I hate all things ND" and " ND is the greatest thing in college sports essay " lies the truth. Let's be real, ND can't carry Uconn's jock strap in hoops since the time they joined the Big East. But Uconn wasn't even on the same planet in FB ( unless Charlie Weis was HC.. :D) just 8 years into the FBS. So the original 10 year FB deal could've been a nice chip for the Huskies if they had worked it out with say a 5 in South Bend - 3 ( NY-MA)- 2 @ the RENT deal. It might have even swayed CR to the ACC.... in Uconn's favor over Louisville if ND-Uconn where tied at the hip in FB for that long.

It's all about filling seats and if Notre Dame's fanbase as the long established program could've helped fill Uconn's coffers in an 80,000 seat venue in the NE swing (instead of 40,000 @ the Rent), hooray for Uconn. Plus Uconn would've had an annual "rivalry game" with one of the most storied programs in the FBS. Instead of the Umass one, some people are talking about now.

To me it would've been Uconn using ND to build itself up as a newbie in big boy FB, but don't just take my word on it:
“These games will be a tremendous recruiting tool for our program, enhance our national television exposure and also increase our program’s visibility by playing Notre Dame in two large metropolitan areas in which we have a significant alumni presence,” said coach Randy Edsall.
Damn, a 10 year deal was in place with Notre Dame? That definitely would've factored into conference realignment and probably would've bolstered UConn's football W-L record instead of going through this purgatory the last 10 years.

Reaction Score
Damn, a 10 year deal was in place with Notre Dame? That definitely would've factored into conference realignment and probably would've bolstered UConn's football W-L record instead of going through this purgatory the last 10 years.

There was a lot of frustration at UConn because the Irish would not play at the Rent...but rather the Meadowlands and Gillette....also the continued stand of being an independent rankled...."

Jeff Jacobs..Courant...reported by Bleacher Report:

Jacobs feels that the Big East has accepted the fact that Notre Dame is not going to join the conference in football. Although they admire Notre Dame's national marketing campaign, he says in reference to their opponents, "It's demeaning to the other team."

Jacobs went on to suggest that playing the series the way Notre Dame wanted it was a slap in the face to Connecticut and now, "UConn finally has the hand to slap back."

Everyone in the state was upset—lawmakers in particular. They argued that the state didn't construct a brand-new football stadium only to have it's team play their home games in Gillette Stadium or the Meadowlands.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom