Scheduling needs going forward | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Scheduling needs going forward

Reaction Score
There isn’t a ton of value in playing neutral site games Every now and then as a one off sure but we want good games and name teams to come to the Rent. If it means we do a 2-1 or 1-1-1 with Notre Dame or Penn State or somebody, that would be ok by me. The BC game at Fenway for example was fun despite the miserable weather. But it shouldn’t be an every year thing.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Another reason why I don't think we should play MAC, C-USA, or Sun Belt schools is because they do not have national TV contracts. Therefore, only our home game in the home and home would be on TV.

Reaction Score
I for one am very excited that we are independent. I believe it will ultimately allow us to have a better schedule than any G5 school sans BYU going into the future. I think from 2026 on we are starting to look very strong in the scheduling department but we have to keep the momentum up.

In my opinion, our scheduling goals should be the following:

6 P5 schools a year- 5 home and homes (1 vs. upper-level school like Ole Miss and 4 vs. mid- to lower-level schools like Syracuse, BC, Kansas, Vandy) and 1 body bag game vs. blue blood (Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc.). Hopefully, we can play BC every year starting in 2026.

1 yearly game vs. Army

1 yearly game vs. either BYU or Navy or Air Force or Boise State (keep them on a rotation)

2 yearly games vs. AAC schools (Temple and either a Texas or Florida school)

1 yearly game vs. either UMass or Buffalo

1 yearly game vs. FCS opponent

I personally have no interest in playing Liberty, NMSU or anyone out of the MAC (sans Buffalo), Sun Belt, or C-USA.

With regards to 2022 to 2025, we have some needs that need to be met.

For 2022, we have one game left to schedule. We need a sixth home game. 10/22 and 11/26 are our open dates. If we could leverage a road game in 2027 for a home game vs. a middle of the pack P5 school that should be our plan.

For 2023, we have three games left to schedule. We need one more home game and two more road games. We could again leverage two road games in 2027 for two home games vs. middle of the pack P5 schools. We could also do a home and home with Buffalo with the away game played in 2023.

For 2024, we also have three games left to schedule. We need one more home game and two more road games. We only have 3 P5s on the schedule. We don't have a body bag game as of yet so that's one game. The only two should be a home and road p5 home and home.

For 2025, we only have two games left to schedule. We need two home games. Our current home schedule is CCSU, Ball State, FIU, and UAB. We need to home and homes with mid-level P5 schools with the road halves toward the end of the decade.

Starting in 2026, things start to look up. 4 out of 7 scheduled games are against P5 schools.

What do you think?
I’d schedule an early game with Sacred Heart for several reasons.

Reaction Score
UMass is a just a must have if we want to build any regional rivalry presence. If they could suck BC into an annual 3 team NE Patriot Cup schedule, it would be great for all.

The other natural would be getting PSU on schedule with some regularity. But, that would take some serious commitment to buy out pay day games.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's 2021, yet I still fail to understand the obsession with playing UMass for anyone not attending either school in 1994-1995. BC, RU, SYR, I understand.

UMass is on par with Buffalo and better than Stony Brook, URI, or Maine. Will they be needed to fill mutual holes in an Indy schedule, of course. Should either school be dying for a regular game? I don't think so.

I think a neighborly gentlemen's agreement to be they other's 12th game when necessary is a fine arrangement knowing that will likely be the case just about every year.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Yeah. That’s why they are the only P5 team to do a 4 game series with us.

Like it or not it is an attractive game for the Beags. Sells tix. Last time we played at Alumni the only home game that outdrew UConn was Clemson. It’s close. No planes. Just a couple of buses. It’s a 1A game. And you should usually win. I suspect BC likes it quite a bit. Don’t be surprised to see regular meetings. Maybe not annual because teams like variety but pretty consistently.

Variety will be a challenge for DB. He won't be able to keep going back to the same P5 opponents. They only get so many OOC games and not a one wants to see UConn in one of those spots every year or more than twice every 4-6 years.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I think we should play them every year and reinvigorate that rivalry.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
UMass is our oldest rival. Unfortunately, they made a lot of stupid decisions. Either way, Massachusetts wants UMass to be FBS. Better Connecticut and Massachusetts work together rather than against each other.
Agreed! A high tide raises all boats. We need football in our region to be strong so we can be a part of the surge.

Reaction Score
UMass is our oldest rival. Unfortunately, they made a lot of stupid decisions. Either way, Massachusetts wants UMass to be FBS. Better Connecticut and Massachusetts work together rather than against each other.
Yup. I think its mutually beneficial for both teams to play each other the last week of the regular season. Gives the game the feel of a rivalry and there's really only like 4 teams to choose from to play that week anyway. I think the general formula for our schedule should be cold weather games vs UMass and Army (H/A year 1 A/H year 2), our FCS game, a P5 body bag game, and then use the last 8 games to schedule P5 H/Hs or H/Hs with schools in important recruiting areas (there's 21 FBS programs in Texas/Florida/Georgia I believe) and fill in any scheduling holes with MAC/AAC/CUSA/MWC/Indy teams as necessary.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Sorry, thinking UMass has some history with us is like getting super excited about a pre-TV era radio program. I don't recall people clamoring about "The Shadow"

Reaction Score
Sorry, thinking UMass has some history with us is like getting super excited about a pre-TV era radio program. I don't recall people clamoring about "The Shadow"
Agree to disagree then I guess. I remember and miss the UMass rivalry and I'd like to see it return.

Reaction Score
You need to play them to build some kind of rivalry. Teams have to play each other regularly to develop a rivalry. Since we see both indy programs, we might as well work on a rivalry with them since it will be difficult to get regular ongoing series with BCU, Cuse, and RU.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

To me it's far less about any pre-FBS history, but the possibility to build something that has natural interest based on name recognition and geography.

Michigan Ohio State.. it's not...

But would I rather a rotation of Bowling Green, Toledo, and Liberty to close out every season or UMass? Give me UMass.

Reaction Score
1625532192291.png

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
BC does not have the desire to play an annual game with UConn.

UConn feels the same way in basketball men and women's just saying

How they screwed UConn with the ACC is why them finishing near the back in the standings puts a smile on every Husky fan out there

Reaction Score
Syracuse, BC and Rutgers. Unless UMass financially commits to FBS football, I see no reason to play them annually.

Reaction Score
I'd do a 1 for 2 with ND but feeling like these games at Yankee Stadium are less of a benefit than the Men's BE BB Tourney at MSG. Home and Homes with Rutgers and Army are better for us because of the chance to get a nice W and the NY/NJ exposure.
Don't play second fiddle to Notre Dame.. One for one and the UCONN home game at the Rent. Otherwise forget it.

Reaction Score
I for one am very excited that we are independent. I believe it will ultimately allow us to have a better schedule than any G5 school sans BYU going into the future. I think from 2026 on we are starting to look very strong in the scheduling department but we have to keep the momentum up.

In my opinion, our scheduling goals should be the following:

6 P5 schools a year- 5 home and homes (1 vs. upper-level school like Ole Miss and 4 vs. mid- to lower-level schools like Syracuse, BC, Kansas, Vandy) and 1 body bag game vs. blue blood (Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc.). Hopefully, we can play BC every year starting in 2026.

1 yearly game vs. Army

1 yearly game vs. either BYU or Navy or Air Force or Boise State (keep them on a rotation)

2 yearly games vs. AAC schools (Temple and either a Texas or Florida school)

1 yearly game vs. either UMass or Buffalo

1 yearly game vs. FCS opponent

I personally have no interest in playing Liberty, NMSU or anyone out of the MAC (sans Buffalo), Sun Belt, or C-USA.

With regards to 2022 to 2025, we have some needs that need to be met.

For 2022, we have one game left to schedule. We need a sixth home game. 10/22 and 11/26 are our open dates. If we could leverage a road game in 2027 for a home game vs. a middle of the pack P5 school that should be our plan.

For 2023, we have three games left to schedule. We need one more home game and two more road games. We could again leverage two road games in 2027 for two home games vs. middle of the pack P5 schools. We could also do a home and home with Buffalo with the away game played in 2023.

For 2024, we also have three games left to schedule. We need one more home game and two more road games. We only have 3 P5s on the schedule. We don't have a body bag game as of yet so that's one game. The only two should be a home and road p5 home and home.

For 2025, we only have two games left to schedule. We need two home games. Our current home schedule is CCSU, Ball State, FIU, and UAB. We need to home and homes with mid-level P5 schools with the road halves toward the end of the decade.

Starting in 2026, things start to look up. 4 out of 7 scheduled games are against P5 schools.

What do you think?
Given our recent positive recruiting pivot, Dave needs to step up his game on scheduling some quality opponents for 2024 and 2025. In particular, home games.

Reaction Score
Agree that the biggest need is quality home games to entice fans to attend. Easier said than done, but all must start with winning on a more consistent basis. You win and the better teams will look at you as a worthy opponent. Hope they start the process this year.

Reaction Score
Given our recent positive recruiting pivot, Dave needs to step up his game on scheduling some quality opponents for 2024 and 2025. In particular, home games.

Recent quote from the TX WR commit and I now count up to 14 Huskies from the Lone Star state.

"Broken record time, but Brown is also a fan of the independent schedule. “It’s very interesting to me. I love to travel, and with their schedule being games all over the country, it gave me another reason to commit. And I really wanna see how the Clemson game plays out.” If Brown could add games to the schedule, “also want to see TX schools on the schedule so I can play back home in front of my people.”

So 2 schools that have 2023, 2024, 2025 openings that need a good look by DB for H & H's are a Baylor revisit ( remember the RG III quote !) and a return of this years Houston game. A pay day visit ( Umass is ) to Texas A&M in 2026/2027 might be nice too, use those SEC connects Dave !

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Recent quote from the TX WR commit and I now count up to 14 Huskies from the Lone Star state.

"Broken record time, but Brown is also a fan of the independent schedule. “It’s very interesting to me. I love to travel, and with their schedule being games all over the country, it gave me another reason to commit. And I really wanna see how the Clemson game plays out.” If Brown could add games to the schedule, “also want to see TX schools on the schedule so I can play back home in front of my people.”

So 2 schools that have 2023, 2024, 2025 openings that need a good look by DB for H & H's are a Baylor revisit ( remember the RG III quote !) and a return of this years Houston game. A pay day visit ( Umass is ) to Texas A&M in 2026/2027 might be nice too, use those SEC connects Dave !
Agree with observations.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
In a dream world, my annual regional competition would be:

BC
Pitt
Penn State
Rutgers
Cuse
Maryland

The other games would be against recruiting hot spots (non-annually):