Scheduling needs going forward | The Boneyard

Scheduling needs going forward

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I for one am very excited that we are independent. I believe it will ultimately allow us to have a better schedule than any G5 school sans BYU going into the future. I think from 2026 on we are starting to look very strong in the scheduling department but we have to keep the momentum up.

In my opinion, our scheduling goals should be the following:

6 P5 schools a year- 5 home and homes (1 vs. upper-level school like Ole Miss and 4 vs. mid- to lower-level schools like Syracuse, BC, Kansas, Vandy) and 1 body bag game vs. blue blood (Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc.). Hopefully, we can play BC every year starting in 2026.

1 yearly game vs. Army

1 yearly game vs. either BYU or Navy or Air Force or Boise State (keep them on a rotation)

2 yearly games vs. AAC schools (Temple and either a Texas or Florida school)

1 yearly game vs. either UMass or Buffalo

1 yearly game vs. FCS opponent

I personally have no interest in playing Liberty, NMSU or anyone out of the MAC (sans Buffalo), Sun Belt, or C-USA.

With regards to 2022 to 2025, we have some needs that need to be met.

For 2022, we have one game left to schedule. We need a sixth home game. 10/22 and 11/26 are our open dates. If we could leverage a road game in 2027 for a home game vs. a middle of the pack P5 school that should be our plan.

For 2023, we have three games left to schedule. We need one more home game and two more road games. We could again leverage two road games in 2027 for two home games vs. middle of the pack P5 schools. We could also do a home and home with Buffalo with the away game played in 2023.

For 2024, we also have three games left to schedule. We need one more home game and two more road games. We only have 3 P5s on the schedule. We don't have a body bag game as of yet so that's one game. The only two should be a home and road p5 home and home.

For 2025, we only have two games left to schedule. We need two home games. Our current home schedule is CCSU, Ball State, FIU, and UAB. We need to home and homes with mid-level P5 schools with the road halves toward the end of the decade.

Starting in 2026, things start to look up. 4 out of 7 scheduled games are against P5 schools.

What do you think?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
My quick thought, maybe we get to this level in five years… but don’t expect to check all your boxes for a while however while we climb out of the Diaco hole. Probably need to accept the fact it’s more likely to be 4 to 5 P5 games of which at most two are home games. And we’ll have more G5 and that will be with non AAC schools.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
I would love a game with Miami of Ohio (only MAC school outside Buffalo) Beautiful campus and see both my schools in one place.

Reaction Score
I for one am very excited that we are independent. I believe it will ultimately allow us to have a better schedule than any G5 school sans BYU going into the future. I think from 2026 on we are starting to look very strong in the scheduling department but we have to keep the momentum up.

In my opinion, our scheduling goals should be the following:

6 P5 schools a year- 5 home and homes (1 vs. upper-level school like Ole Miss and 4 vs. mid- to lower-level schools like Syracuse, BC, Kansas, Vandy) and 1 body bag game vs. blue blood (Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc.). Hopefully, we can play BC every year starting in 2026.

1 yearly game vs. Army

1 yearly game vs. either BYU or Navy or Air Force or Boise State (keep them on a rotation)

2 yearly games vs. AAC schools (Temple and either a Texas or Florida school)

1 yearly game vs. either UMass or Buffalo

1 yearly game vs. FCS opponent

I personally have no interest in playing Liberty, NMSU or anyone out of the MAC (sans Buffalo), Sun Belt, or C-USA.

With regards to 2022 to 2025, we have some needs that need to be met.

For 2022, we have one game left to schedule. We need a sixth home game. 10/22 and 11/26 are our open dates. If we could leverage a road game in 2027 for a home game vs. a middle of the pack P5 school that should be our plan.

For 2023, we have three games left to schedule. We need one more home game and two more road games. We could again leverage two road games in 2027 for two home games vs. middle of the pack P5 schools. We could also do a home and home with Buffalo with the away game played in 2023.

For 2024, we also have three games left to schedule. We need one more home game and two more road games. We only have 3 P5s on the schedule. We don't have a body bag game as of yet so that's one game. The only two should be a home and road p5 home and home.

For 2025, we only have two games left to schedule. We need two home games. Our current home schedule is CCSU, Ball State, FIU, and UAB. We need to home and homes with mid-level P5 schools with the road halves toward the end of the decade.

Starting in 2026, things start to look up. 4 out of 7 scheduled games are against P5 schools.

What do you think?

Im ok with playing some Sun Belt schools - it’s quickly becoming a fun conference, and only getting better and it’s located in prime recruiting grounds

Last edited:

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I want to beat the living piss out of NMSU and UMass every year to remind everyone we are vastly superior. Oh and we could use 2 wins.

Reaction Score

Also have 11/5 open and Umass probably needs a road game (and they have 11/5 open) since a game Oct 22 @ USF game they still claim

....isn't happening according to USF future Schedules

P-5 schools who show 2022 openings are Miami, Rutgers, Notre Dame, Virginia and Indy BYU according to

Reaction Score
Speaking of, here's Uconn future schedules after 2022 and some schools that look to have openings on the right .

FUTURE -football Schedule + possible opponents to 2026.jpg

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think UConn and UMass know they're going to play every year and just haven't announced dates to give each other scheduling flexibility.

Gotta imagine there are some tentative dates with BYU too.
I've heard that this is the case with UConn and UMass. It would just be nice to have it be a set date each year to make it be something that is constant with a local team. It could make a sort of rivalry game because of the proximity and ease of both fanbases to get to each other.

Reaction Score
I've heard that this is the case with UConn and UMass. It would just be nice to have it be a set date each year to make it be something that is constant with a local team. It could make a sort of rivalry game because of the proximity and ease of both fanbases to get to each other.
And, what UConn fan would pass up a chance to watch a game in one of the luxury suites at McQuirky stadium? We make fun of bCU, but UMass facilities and fans have always been the worst.

Their motto? "We don't have much, but we take pride in our misery".

They were delirious when the Mullins Center opened and I only knew why because I had gone to a game at the Curry Hicks Cage once.

Reaction Score
WE have found plenty of big name opponents sprinkled throughout the next 10 years. There will be more marginally.

I think it is important for one and one games focused yearly with UMASS and Buffalo; Temple and Army. Play Syracuse, BC, Maryland and Rutgers as often as you can get them. the big outlier - and seems to be political bs or something ... is Navy. I don't understand it.

I personally feel playing Yale as our FCS is important. Given some of our memories. Holy Cross and Villanova ... are more important to my view than Central or Sacred Heart or Maine; I think you are going to find UAlbany & Stony Brook rise in this world in the next decade.

If the Pac 12 breaks free for a game once in awhile ... I cannot emphasize enough the fun I had at Berkeley, Stanford, UW, Oregon and Tucson in past lives. I would love to return.

Reaction Score
Here’s the scheduling philosophy I would suggest:

-1 (home) FCS game
-1 (away) buy game against a high end P5 team
-4 other P5 games as part of home & homes (2 home and 2 away every year)
-annual game against Army
-annual game against UMass (home in years we play at Army, away in years we host Army)
-4 other games (2 home, 2 away)

-The FCS game provides us with a sixth home game every year, which we can also count toward bowl eligibility.
-The buy game provides us with cash to pay the FCS team and have most of it left over for us to make some dough. Also, it’s got to help recruiting when we can tell kids we’ll be playing Clemson, Michigan, Ohio State, Tennessee, etc.
-Preferred P5 (h&h) opponents: BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, Maryland. These are all (at least somewhat) local games and are in areas we recruit, against teams which may be willing to schedule a h&h with us. I suspect BC may have some interest in an annual game; I’m not sure if any of the other teams would (maybe Syracuse?).
-Backup P5 (h&h) opponents: Georgia Tech, Florida State, Miami, TCU, Baylor. These are games in areas we recruit where the opponent may be willing to agree to a h&h series. After these first two tiers, we’ll take whoever we can get.
-The Army and UMass games ensure that we will have at least one drivable road game each year and will hopefully develop into some sort of rivalries to generate excitement.
-Preferred non-P5 opponents: Temple, Navy, UCF, USF, SMU, Houston. These schools are all in the best non-P5 conference and are in areas we recruit. As a bonus, Temple (and maybe Navy) are within driving distance.
-Backup non-P5 opponents: Buffalo, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, North Texas, Rice, Texas State, UTSA, BYU, maybe Liberty, maybe maybe Old Dominion. These are schools in areas we recruit. Liberty and Old Dominion are close enough to the Maryland/DC area, plus Liberty is an independent, which can be useful for scheduling purposes. BYU is nowhere near our recruiting territory but is an independent with a national following.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Speaking of, here's Uconn future schedules after 2022 and some schools that look to have openings on the right .

View attachment 68180
This is incredibly helpful. Flipping around the sites to find possible open opponents is beyond cumbersome.
Let’s it in fill like this:

@Alabama
@Washington
Vs UCF

@Rutgers
@ UCF
Vs UMass

2025 (definitely trickiest, that home ticket needs ALOT of love)
Vs. Penn St (Gillette)
Vs. Pitt

vs Notre Dame (Yankee Stadium)
Vs UVA
Vs UMass
@ PITT
@BYU

Reaction Score
BC does not have the desire to play an annual game with UConn.
Yeah. That’s why they are the only P5 team to do a 4 game series with us.

Like it or not it is an attractive game for the Beags. Sells tix. Last time we played at Alumni the only home game that outdrew UConn was Clemson. It’s close. No planes. Just a couple of buses. It’s a 1A game. And you should usually win. I suspect BC likes it quite a bit. Don’t be surprised to see regular meetings. Maybe not annual because teams like variety but pretty consistently.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see Rutgers on the schedule, but in 2 years, Schiano is gonna have them in a really good position. We know he can recruit and he's proven he can coach at OSU. Hopefully we can get those really good Edsall-Schiano match ups when we both were I'm the OBE

Reaction Score
I'd do a 1 for 2 with ND but feeling like these games at Yankee Stadium are less of a benefit than the Men's BE BB Tourney at MSG. Home and Homes with Rutgers and Army are better for us because of the chance to get a nice W and the NY/NJ exposure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom