Schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Schedule

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
you fix "things" in practice, after seeing these "things" pop up in real time, also known as games.
correct. The issue then becomes; how many times do you need to see them verses how much work is it to change them. Geno expects to see coachable correctable mistakes once and then works to fix them.

Reaction Score
On Dec, 3 UConn will play its fifth game, South Carolina its ninth, and Colorado, the other team I watch religiously, it’s eighth. These teams and many others are testing their systems, evaluating newcomers, and honing their veterans while UConn isn’t. Just saying...
In general I could agree with your concept. I do believe playing (I hate this term) cupcakes teaches little. If your end of season potential is to play more like USC than Arizon/Arkansas it would be better preparation scheduling more like USC. The one cat left in the bag is: Scheduling is done a year prior and Conference games are conference games. How many OOC can one team, as good as Uconn regularly are, get teams of that caliber accept scheduling Geno's teams. Unless they are like Mulkey and only schedule Geno when he has a "down" year.

Reaction Score
you fix "things" in practice, after seeing these "things" pop up in real time, also known as games.
I believe in the concepts of: Practice you learn, games you hone your learned (and learning) lessons. Sitting on the bench for long periods only teaches your posteriors how to adjust to hard seats. Coaches in Games learn the lessons players did not learned in practices. Coaches and players are a combination that must work together to succeed. However, if the talent recruited isn't AS recruited, pitty the coach.

Reaction Score
I believe in the concepts of: Practice you learn, games you hone your learned (and learning) lessons. Sitting on the bench for long periods only teaches your posteriors how to adjust to hard seats. Coaches in Games learn the lessons players did not learned in practices. Coaches and players are a combination that must work together to succeed. However, if the talent recruited isn't AS recruited, pitty the coach.
Great post!
Also the variable never mentioned here is the unspeakable idea that a player can be a "gammer" and less of a "practicer." I think our culture shuns such a thought. Remember AI's "practice?, you talking about practice?". Unless you tune into NBA Channel, which I do, and listen to actual players that knew he gave it 1000% every night, you were inclined to think AI was some spoiled superstar. Just saying, could a teeny bit of that have applied to BS? Anyway, food for thought. Secondly, what about the cumulative effect that actual playing in games has on a player's development. Playing clarifies everything.
I used to be a runner (road racing). Difference between training and racing. Training is essential in so many ways. You can be flawless in training. Racing is where you really learn where and who you are.

Reaction Score
correct. The issue then becomes; how many times do you need to see them verses how much work is it to change them. Geno expects to see coachable correctable mistakes once and then works to fix them.
Not quite sure how you would know what Geno's expectations are, but I would think that he would approach each player based upon their individual needs and makeup. How much time would be needed to accomplish change? They came to UConn to get the best coaching possible, so I guess they would expect the coaches to work with them just as long as it takes, assuming they're working hard to make progress. May take a few years, maybe a few minutes. Of course, that is one reason that these coaches are paid the big bucks.

Reaction Score
Great post!
Also the variable never mentioned here is the unspeakable idea that a player can be a "gammer" and less of a "practicer." I think our culture shuns such a thought. Remember AI's "practice?, you talking about practice?". Unless you tune into NBA Channel, which I do, and listen to actual players that knew he gave it 1000% every night, you were inclined to think AI was some spoiled superstar. Just saying, could a teeny bit of that have applied to BS? Anyway, food for thought. Secondly, what about the cumulative effect that actual playing in games has on a player's development. Playing clarifies everything.
I used to be a runner (road racing). Difference between training and racing. Training is essential in so many ways. You can be flawless in training. Racing is where you really learn where and who you are.
I coached a bit and played a bit at lower levels than Geno. I have always been in a bit of an awe and wondered how coaches like the Texas coach, Neighbors (ArK), USC (Dawn), ND (then Muffet) brought in players as freshmen, put them in games quickly and those kids defended and scored, rebounded, etc as many of the 1, 2, or 3's recruited. I realize none have Geno's NC's or FF's--but these kids appear to perform early and well/ What am I missing??

Reaction Score
Won’t it be great when this archaic old curmudgeon retires and we can get a real “with it” coach that won’t hang on to his/her antiquated coaching methods? I mean, just imagine the unmitigated gall of expecting the same “outdated” methods to continue to produce the same excellence year after year! It’s simply intolerable!

Reaction Score
I coached a bit and played a bit at lower levels than Geno. I have always been in a bit of an awe and wondered how coaches like the Texas coach, Neighbors (ArK), USC (Dawn), ND (then Muffet) brought in players as freshmen, put them in games quickly and those kids defended and scored, rebounded, etc as many of the 1, 2, or 3's recruited. I realize none have Geno's NC's or FF's--but these kids appear to perform early and well/ What am I missing??
Did you watch Gonzaga- Duke last night? Makes you realize college hoops is still a fabulous game!
Freshmen starters on both sides playing in a beautiful game going at 100 mph

Reaction Score
On Dec, 3 UConn will play its fifth game, South Carolina its ninth, and Colorado, the other team I watch religiously, it’s eighth. These teams and many others are testing their systems, evaluating newcomers, and honing their veterans while UConn isn’t. Just saying...
Trust in Geno til the end.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Not quite sure how you would know what Geno's expectations are, but I would think that he would approach each player based upon their individual needs and makeup. How much time would be needed to accomplish change? They came to UConn to get the best coaching possible, so I guess they would expect the coaches to work with them just as long as it takes, assuming they're working hard to make progress. May take a few years, maybe a few minutes. Of course, that is one reason that these coaches are paid the big bucks.
I don't need to know Geno's expectations and don't believe I mentioned any expectations of the coaches. I know The players talk about how they have to run the drill over and over and over until it is perfect. So just knowing the drill isn't enough but it must be executed repeatedly to the coaches expectations. Watch the team warm up some time. They are running the base plays for warm ups.

Reaction Score
It's the University of SC, just like UCONN, not Connecticut University. You just know the other USC from football.

Reaction Score
About 200 woman’s hoop teams in action this weekend.
UCONN isn’t one of them.
Why?

Reaction Score
About 200 woman’s hoop teams in action this weekend.
UCONN isn’t one of them.
Why?
No game scheduled
GIF by Leroy Patterson

Reaction Score
This really bothers you …being a Browns seems you should have other things to worry about

Reaction Score
Because Geno lets his players go home for the holiday. What a horrible coach.
I did not allude to that.
If “real game experience” is the best gauge of progress ( as felt by many here)
they should be experiencing it.
I did not refer to all of the coaches whose teammate are in action as selfish or heartless, which would be the flip side of your response, no?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom