SC vs Notre Dame 11/26/17 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SC vs Notre Dame 11/26/17

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Bottom Line, If the game could get ratings and make money for the network it would be televised. Networks are in business to make money, not to provide charity.

Sometimes those of us that are real fans of WCBB forget that we are in fact a small minority, especially in the eyes of the business and media world. We don't even raise a blip on their radar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMO Oregon missed a great opportunity yesterday. They should have scheduled to play UConn instead of Oklahoma. The attendance was 6.2K. If they played UConn they could have opened up the Upper Bowl and probably sell out the game, especially if it didn't conflict with the football game. Students could have attended the basketball game and then gone on to the football game. Who knows an Oregon vs UConn matchup might have been on National TV.

Reaction Score
Bottom Line, If the game could get ratings and make money for the network it would be televised. Networks are in business to make money, not to provide charity.
absolutely. and as a consumer, I can say that $30 is too much for me to pay for this one game.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
For those hankering to watch some ball and scout a future UConn opponent, Duquesne is currently playing Virginia on the ACC Network and leads 49-43 at the end of Q3.

Duquesne was in rebuilding mode last year but looks quite respectable. They have a good point guard named Chassidy Omogrosso, currently with 19 points. The Dukes have multiple players who can shoot from long range.

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Top 5 matchup in the Women's game with the defending NC being one and Notre Dame being the other? I think they would get some ratings. Somebody dropped the ball here. This business of televising very few WCBB games before football ends is something we are used to but this one should be on.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Top 5 matchup in the Women's game with the defending NC being one and Notre Dame being the other? I think they would get some ratings. Somebody dropped the ball here. This business of televising very few WCBB games before football ends is something we are used to but this one should be on.
There are certainly two ways to look at it.

On the one hand, yes it's a crying shame that a marquee matchup like this isn't televised by a major network. And yes it's true that this would never happen on the men's side.

On the other hand, it wasn't that long ago that only a handful of women's games were televised over an entire season. Things have come a long way in that regard.

These Thanksgiving tournaments have become anomalous in the sense that most of them have contracted with subscription-based streaming sites. For the rest of the season, almost all significant games are now available in a more standard broadcast or cable format.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Well, then, Bill Walton will be fired by ESPN. He just stated (on the Uconn men's gane--ESPN). that surely the Uconn Women's game was on ESPN yesterday.....IT WAS NOT!

Reaction Score
Well, then, Bill Walton will be fired by ESPN. He just stated (on the Uconn men's gane--ESPN). that surely the Uconn Women's game was on ESPN yesterday.....IT WAS NOT!
Well, it WAS on ESPN3

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
There are certainly two ways to look at it.

On the one hand, yes it's a crying shame that a marquee matchup like this isn't televised by a major network. And yes it's true that this would never happen on the men's side.

On the other hand, it wasn't that long ago that only a handful of women's games were televised over an entire season. Things have come a long way in that regard.

These Thanksgiving tournaments have become anomalous in the sense that most of them have contracted with subscription-based streaming sites. For the rest of the season, almost all significant games are now available in a more standard broadcast or cable format.

Not long ago but that was when there were very few channels. ESPN alone now has multiple channels. But instead of putting on "Real" sports they choose to populate their broadcast channels with frequent showings of Poker, Cheerleading competitions and other such nonsense. And they wonder why there is such resentment for ESPN.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Not long ago but that was when there were very few channels. ESPN alone now has multiple channels. But instead of putting on "Real" sports they choose to populate their broadcast channels with frequent showings of Poker, Cheerleading competitions and other such nonsense. And they wonder why there is such resentment for ESPN.
And one channel is devoted to "news". Now come on, how many breaking sports related news stories happen during the course of the weekend (excluding event scores)? And if there happens to actually be a breaking story, it is shown on their bottom line as "Breaking News" for at least 8 hours after the news break. And about that bottom line, what happened to the days when it only showed up at 27 and 57 minutes of each hour? Now they want to continuously disrupt the actual event being televised because people would rather see the scores of some European soccer game every 5 minutes than actually watch the game!!!
Oh, about the News, how many new shows are actually televised during the day? From what I have gathered they repeat the same show for hours on end.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I understand that. But have you seen some of the match-ups they are televising. Some consolation games do not draw a large audience. So you think if they televise a women's game on a Sunday, the day stations usually reserve for women, that would be charity? That's like saying every time a women's game is televised, the stations are providing charity. I understand viewership is important. But, not a whole lot of people are going to watch a fifth place game or consolation televised game. I know I did not when I was into men's basketball, not even when my favorite team was playing.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
USF wins third place game in this tourney by defeating St John's 68 - 59

FINAL | USF defeats St. John's 68-59. Bulls take third place at the 2017 Gulf Coast Showcase #Together #ncaaw

DPmKTo-UQAARUFf.jpg

Gulf Coast Showcase

This was an important win for USF.

Our one loss to ND by 10 was to be expected. They out rebounded us by 20.

Can't wait for our post transfer A. Rader to become eligible. I think she will be starting play in our game @Oklahoma on Dec 9.

Plebe

Reaction Score
USF wins third place game in this tourney by defeating St John's 68 - 59

FINAL | USF defeats St. John's 68-59. Bulls take third place at the 2017 Gulf Coast Showcase #Together #ncaaw

This was an important win for USF.

Our one loss to ND by 10 was to be expected. They out rebounded us by 20.

Can't wait for our post transfer A. Rader to become eligible. I think she will be starting play in our game @Oklahoma on Dec 9.

I agree this was an important win. I was worried about the hangover effect for USF, and St. John's is no pushover. They had South Carolina in a 9-point game in the 4th quarter before SC pulled away.

I see that Jespersen had a big game (25 points, 4 of 4 from the arc). Hopefully Rader will be ready to go for the Oklahoma game. That will be another big game, and Norman is a tough place to win. Texas still hasn't won there in the Aston era.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
I agree this was an important win. I was worried about the hangover effect for USF, and St. John's is no pushover. They had South Carolina in a 9-point game in the 4th quarter before SC pulled away.

I see that Jespersen had a big game (25 points, 4 of 4 from the arc). Hopefully Rader will be ready to go for the Oklahoma game. That will be another big game, and Norman is a tough place to win. Texas still hasn't won there in the Aston era.

I think our other post player S Leverett sat out this game, because she was injured late yesterday. I'm surprised we were able to out rebound SJU. We still need to do better on OR.

One our our new freshman S. Serrat got her first playing time for USF,

I'm not sure what the plans are for Jazz Bond, since she has not gotten any playing time. Perhaps, we will red shirt her so she can bulk up.

Also, D. Nagy has not come back yet from an off season injury.

Obviously, we need some more bench players.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Game is now underway!

Anyone else here watching?

Plebe

Reaction Score
SC strikes first, hitting some 3's and moving the ball well.

Muffet not happy, takes a TO with SC leading 12-5 or 13-5 depending on whether the officials determine the last bucket to be a 3 or a 2.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom