SC Postgame Thread | Page 18 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
All this is small sample size noise to some degree. I do agree on Dorka though. As she settles in some she will make more shots and I love her hustle and blocking out. She is our best rebounder and I think that's pretty clear. Watch how she played Boston and overall our bigs were at least putting in the effort. If you look at their team, SC has some pretty muscular guards which helps rebounding as well ( blocking out and such especially ). Rebounding is a team effort in many ways.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Didn't UCONN out score SC by maybe 8 when Dorka was on the court and was out scored by 24 when she was not?
Dorka replaced Aaliyah so Liv & Dorka were both on the court, but It’s hard to make the case that Dorka had a greater impact than Liv in the 1st qtr when UConn raced out to a double digit lead. Liv had 3 blocks and a steal in that qtr, leading to transition baskets by the Huskies.

Reaction Score
I really think that we were very run down and tired. It reminded me of how we have played at times in recent Final Four games especially last year. You are not going to match SC's size so you have to run which we did great at times. Here's the problem though- when they are getting a shocking 19 offensive rebounds you aren't running. When you are throwing the ball away you aren't running. When you are beat physically and clearly tired, you ain't running.

He needs Aubrey but Azzi has to learn that if she can't play college defense she won't be out there in big games. To me, Nika and AE look like it's their freshman year. I can't understand it because it is a skill relapse so to speak. What is it with Evina in the second half? Is it intentional? A conditioning thing? Her knee? She is a different player from half to half.

Again, we have to beat this team to win it all and to do so a lot of things have to change. Right now, this is a far better team than us when we can't take advantage of our strengths because of our lack of endurance. Give them a few days off. Let this sink in and really aggravate and annoy them. I will be at the Seton Hall game. It will probably be a crush. Aubrey should be back by then to play at her father's Alma Mater.

Reaction Score
Different teams require different strategies. UConn needed scorers. A non-scorer, undersized defender such as Aubrey wasn’t the answer against SC. We needed scorers on the floor in the 4th. We might still have lost in a shootout but not by 16. That 4th quarter may well be UConn’s worst in 25 years. To some degree, I am reminded of the Arizona game.

Reaction Score
Dorka replaced Aaliyah so Liv & Dorka were both on the court, but It’s hard to make the case that Dorka had a greater impact than Liv in the 1st qtr when UConn raced out to a double digit lead. Liv had 3 blocks and a steal in that qtr, leading to transition baskets by the Huskies.
Good morning, all... the sun did come up today, at least here in Connecticut.

Oldude, in my earlier post, and I believe in Nick's, we were not making a comparison of the relative worth of Liv and Dorka, but rather than UConn enjoyed much more success with Dorka on the court than not. You had questioned her athleticism and others had disparaged the Big Ten regarding Dorka's overall potential to help UConn.

Liv did indeed make a bunch of excellent plays in the first quarter. I was thrilled to see that! But that doesn't eliminate as a factor what Dorka brought to the court, rather complemented it.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
She had a greater positive impact than AE.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Good morning, all... the sun did come up today, at least here in Connecticut.

Oldude, in my earlier post, and I believe in Nick's, we were not making a comparison of the relative worth of Liv and Dorka, but rather than UConn enjoyed much more success with Dorka on the court than not. You had questioned her athleticism and others had disparaged the Big Ten regarding Dorka's overall potential to help UConn.

Liv did indeed make a bunch of excellent plays in the first quarter. I was thrilled to see that! But that doesn't eliminate as a factor what Dorka brought to the court, rather complemented it.
Stats don’t always tell the complete story, but here’s a few to consider. +/- (Aaliyah-26, Liv -16, Dorka +8). So yes, by that team metric, UConn did better with Dorka on the court, although it should be pointed out that Dorka played only 16 minutes to Liv’s 34 and Aaliyah’s 21.

When we look at individual stats, Liv exceeds both Dorka & Aaliyah. But if we just compare Dorka and Aaliyah’s numbers, rebounds were equal at 3 apiece, Aaliyah outscored Dorka 6 to 2, but the most telling stats imo are fouls & turnovers. Aaliyah had 1 each. In only 16 minutes Dorka committed 3 fouls while turning the ball over 5 times.

Several of Dorka’s turnovers were awkward, getting the ball stripped from her hands or throwing a wild inbound pass after a SC made basket. It is my sincere hope that those types of miscues will disappear as Dorka gets more comfortable in UConn’s system. It may simply be the case that Dorka is trying too hard and just needs to relax and play the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stats don’t always tell the complete story, but here’s a few to consider. +/- (Aaliyah-26, Liv -16, Dorka +8). So yes, by that team metric, UConn did better with Dorka on the court, although it should be pointed out that Dorka played only 16 minutes to Liv’s 34 and Aaliyah’s 21.

When we look at individual stats, Liv exceeds both Dorka & Aaliyah. But if we just compare Dorka and Aaliyah’s numbers, rebounds were equal at 3 apiece, Aaliyah outscored Dorka 6 to 2, but the most telling stats imo are fouls & turnovers. Aaliyah had 1 each. In only 16 minutes Dorka committed 3 fouls while turning the ball over 5 times.

Several of Dorka’s turnovers were awkward, getting the ball stripped from her hands or throwing a wild inbound pass after a SC made basket. It is my sincere hope that those types of miscues will disappear as Dorka gets more comfortable in UConn’s system. It may simply be the case that Dorka is trying too hard and just needs to relax and play the game.
I'm with you, Oldude. FYI, Dorka did play either 19 or 20 minutes, depending on which box score one peruses...

Cheers!

Reaction Score
I also thought there was at least 1 if not 2 offensive fouls on Boston that were not called and would have put her on the bench a lot earlier with 3 fouls. They allowed body contact and hand checking away from the ball which stopped freedom of movement on offense and they didn't even know that Dorka's shot hit the rim. I think as always in big games these refs just choke. Dee Kantner is one of the worst refs I've ever seen. She always blows a different game with her whistle than the one you are watching.
Couldn’t agree more, Boston was also pushing out with her elbow and forearm trying to make space while dribbling with the other. Beal also had some offensive fouls that weren’t called.

Reaction Score
The refs swallowed their whistles after calling a bunch of fouls on So Carolina. Our Aaliyah had a couple blatant charges that weren’t called. In no way did the refs contribute to the loss
I agree with what you say--after calling a lot of fouls on SC, they let things go on both sides. However, SC got more of an advantage from the refs swallowing their whistles because they were more aggressive, hacking, pulling, bumping and our team did not increase their aggressiveness... So although refs did not intentionally cause an imbalance, they indeed did...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm with you, Oldude. FYI, Dorka did play either 19 or 20 minutes, depending on which box score one peruses...

Cheers!
Thanks, I misread Dorka’s minutes, but the other stats are correct. Going forward, I do believe there will be competition for a starting spot, but not as many BY’ers anticipated between Liv & Dorka. I think the competition will be between Dorka and Aaliyah. Aaliyah was really effective last year coming off the bench. Maybe that’s the best role for her at this point.

Reaction Score
Not pleased but also not overly concerned with the SC game. Nika and Dorka appear to be injuried, Griffin will come back at some point and Edwards likely to regain her aggressiveness. Geno employed the generic UConn offense and defense as you would expect early in the year. Rather than focus on what Geno did not do, I expect him to make numerous changes later in the year including going to a match up zone as they successfully did late last year. With more experience, Geno likely to give 2 bigs majority of the playing time so the offense will be more consistent. I also expect to see more double screens between the bigs to generate more down low offense and free up the shooters. SC is very tough but many more options likely to be implemented prior to playoffs. Its early.

Reaction Score
Very good post, your right !
Boy, this is a tough crowd regarding ONO. She played against the top center in women's basketball and did an adequate job. Not reasonable to count on her alone to outrebound or ourscore Boston or the entire SC team. I would hope that the next time we play SC that ONO can do as good a job.

Reaction Score
I’m okay with UConn losing the second one too. It’s the THIRD one I want to see them win. That would be the ultimate in sweet!
Urshural - I can't stand losing to Dawn Staley anytime so I hoping UCONN beats them the next 2X times they each other this season!

Reaction Score
Thanks, I misread Dorka’s minutes, but the other stats are correct. Going forward, I do believe there will be competition for a starting spot, but not as many BY’ers anticipated between Liv & Dorka. I think the competition will be between Dorka and Aaliyah. Aaliyah was really effective last year coming off the bench. Maybe that’s the best role for her at this point.
I agree. Dorka started the second half and I expect that to continue. Aaliyah just doesn't have the tools right now. Dorka will be much more effective with the confidence of starting and with more minutes. Aaliyah will be more under the radar as a sub.

Reaction Score
When your opponent is playing one player at 6"5"along with another at 6'7" the better matchup did appear to be Liv and Dorka. A big part of the story is that most of the SC team was bigger. Look at their other size at forward and they had 2 big guards as well ( not the starters but 2 big sub guards who were a handful ). The Uconn blog had a great story today which detailed the main issues of that game well. It's worth the money to me to see their reporting. It's solid.

Reaction Score
Well, Caroline is 6'2 and a guard who reportedly can score and has all-around game. Is she going to get some more minutes to acclimate and show us what she can do? Maybe with her size we would get more rebounds too

Reaction Score
Dorka did have some timely turnovers. And from an eye test, she looks uncoordinated and clumsy on the floor. She uses her body well but her inability to hold on to the ball or have court awareness it often times a problem. There was a pass from paige that went right through her hands (for an easy 2). I'm not saying AE was better or we have someone that we should replace Dorka with, it's just what I've seen from Dorka THUS FAR against better teams has been underwhelming

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Dorka did have some timely turnovers. And from an eye test, she looks uncoordinated and clumsy on the floor. She uses her body well but her inability to hold on to the ball or have court awareness it often times a problem. There was a pass from paige that went right through her hands (for an easy 2). I'm not saying AE was better or we have someone that we should replace Dorka with, it's just what I've seen from Dorka THUS FAR against better teams has been underwhelming
You did notice that she had tape on both of her hands, that might have been the reason why she had some problems handling the ball.:confused:

Reaction Score
I’m okay with UConn losing the second one too. It’s the THIRD one I want to see them win. That would be the ultimate in sweet!
That means UConn would not be “the Evil Empire” at tip-off?

Reaction Score
I don’t know about a possible 3rd game on a neutral court (tourney) but right now I have to say game 2 in Columbia will be a SC victory. That team isn’t likely to lose any home games this year. Oh, and they play in front of 12,000 loud fans. This place won’t handle it well either.

Reaction Score
You did notice that she had tape on both of her hands, that might have been the reason why she had some problems handling the ball.:confused:
Good point, MSGRET,

ABCDFE, I wonder how many players would have had any chance of catching that pass from Paige, which I'd bet Paige would admit was too high and probably too hard given their proximity. Dorka does show an awkward moment here or there, but she offers positives that shouldn't be overlooked.

Reaction Score
Well, Caroline is 6'2 and a guard who reportedly can score and has all-around game. Is she going to get some more minutes to acclimate and show us what she can do? Maybe with her size we would get more rebounds too
Well said, Conndog. I know Geno has a long history of not wanting to 'giving minutes,' in the words of some here. Yet it surely seems to me Caroline has length, scoring potential (more so than, for instance, Nika) and even in her short stints on-court so far, has shown an inclination to mix it up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom