SC Postgame Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
ONO had some good moments to be sure and it isn’t her fault that she lacks the muscle to take on a Boston or a Caruso but she needs to make up for those deficiencies by learning to consistently shoot those 12-15 jumpers, especially from the top of the key. She was open over and over for that shot but SC had scouted her and knew they need not guard her. Without it, the WNBA won’t have a place for her. Still, she’s done the best she could and is a great teammate. Dorka also had her moments but lost focus and Boston basically just toyed with her. Did AE play? Just joshing. Paige was fine until it got desperate and then she showed her youth. That will change. I know Azzi’s defense stinks but we really needed deep threes that didn’t bounce into SC hands. Still, I believe there is time to fix the problems with younger players and still challenge for NC. But in recent years the bigs as in BIGS are dominating more and more. Some look for Aubrey. So do I but for different reasons. Her sole purpose would be get Boston and Cardoso to foul her.
Caruso could definitely go up high! [just kidding]

Reaction Score
A few more thoughts.

When I saw the S.C. box score last night and noted that Dee Kantner had reffed, I thought, "Oh no!" When I saw her on the floor today, I had the same thought. I had the privilege of sitting in Row A again (almost next to Aubrey). From that vantage point, I can tell you a couple of things: (1) The refs were awful, though not the reason for the loss. The male ref refused to call a charge unless there was blood on the floor. The overall work by the refs would have earned a C- or D. It was blatantly poor, especially for a high profile game. (2) Liv was battling her butt off and trying as hard as she could. She had several early blocks. At one point, I think S.C. had Boston, Cardoso, and Amihere on the floor together. They are HUGE.

S.C. is very good--obviously. They have reasonable depth--Destiny Littleton hit 2 key threes. They also have height, bulk, and athleticism. The guards are uber quick. I remember the BY saying that Cooke would try Dawn's patience. Well, Zia is no longer out of control and is very effective. I saw her make a pull-up from the FT line and she seemed 3' in the air. Unstoppable! In the prior 2 years, S.C. was vulnerable when the guards were wild and took too many shots. Boston didn't get the ball enough or shoot the ball enough. She was occasionally disinterested or uninvolved--Dawn has criticized her at times--but she was excellent today. That said, she got away with 2 or 3 offensive fouls. Though it's a deep lineup, the keys are Boston, Cooke, and Henderson. It's hard to say how good the freshmen will be. Only Hall played today. Rivers and Feagin are not trusted enough yet. And Johnson is out for the season.

How good is S.C.? Hard to say. They lost 5 games last year, including 2 to elite teams at the buzzer. So far, they have beaten UConn, N.C. State, and a depleted Oregon team. Can the Gamecocks run the table? It's very rare, especially for a non-UConn team. Right now, they seem to be the premier team.
Seems simple. SC has improved in their areas of deficiency. UConn has not and that's a shared responsibility to me. Players and staff.

Reaction Score
I have one objection. This is one immature team. Everything revolves around Paige and when she is not on, she cannot carry this team. They were seriously outplayed by SC in the second half and played half way decent in the 1st two periods. They needed this loss. Maybe this will shake up their heads enough to get them together as a Team.
They need to do what Geno teaches.

One more objection, if I may, since I am a viejo. I had high expectations for this team based upon what this board said about each new recruit. I believed that this assemby of players was going to be the second coming of MoJet, Stewart and Tuck et. al and we would be on the road to a National Championship I was wrong and I am not going to ever let myself get pumped up by the "glee" of this board.
Th

I agree about not believing the irrational exuberance of some on this board.
But I will note that MoJet and Tuck did not emerge until March. They were considered underperformers before then.

Reaction Score
SC was clearly the better team today and deserved to win.
Few thoughts:
Can any of our bigs score any other way than getting the ball from Paige on a pick and roll which leaves them alone to shoot a lay-up?
Supposedly all 3 are good mid range shooters
...still waiting to see it..very disappointed in Edwards so far this season...many here claimed she'll be an AA soon...she is light years away and seemed to have regressed from last season (maybe team Canada was a bad idea for her). Dorka should stop dribbling. whenever she does it spells problems and a turnover. Last year UConn used some high low offense between Liv and Edwards..what happened to it? Paige is a marvel and we are so very lucky to have her on UConn but she needs help. Will the real CW show up please? Evina at this point seems good only for about half a game...need to utilize Nika more (what happened to the amazing player from the second half of last season?). The refs were bad and some of their calls were ridiculous (the offensive call on Paige at mid court was as bad a call as I've seen in a long time) while some other cases the just swallowed the whistle and both were not in favor of UConn. We need Fudd to grow to a college player and do so fast. We'll need to get at least 10-15 points from her against the top teams to have a real chance.
Not really and no they are not good mid range shooters.

Reaction Score
This! I don't think it's fair to just look at the box score and say she doesn't shoot. There may have been one or two times where she should've been more aggressive but she never really has the ball in her hands. She's more of a point guard who can run a pick and roll and pull up off the dribble, than a steph curry-move-without-the-ball type player. I also think playing with Nika can help her as well.

In any event, Paige has to be better than she was today. She was ok, but she wasn't great and she needs to be great to beat SC. I didn't think the bigs were that bad. I just think SC hit big shots and made key plays in big moments. Those Littleton threes were back breakers.

I can't say that this loss doesn't worry me. Cook and Henny are really good and of course Boston is arguably the best big in the nation. If they get contributions from Beal(who I really like), Rivers, or Littleton they are going to be hard to beat.

On the flip side, it's easy to say Uconn needs to be better offensively, but I don't know how. They run Princeton offense with bigs that can't shoot. Azzi needs to be more involved, but she's still figuring everything out. Unless she's handed the keys, I don't think they'll be able to generate enough offense to complete. SC is the only team I'm worried about.
Agree on Littleton.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I thought it was more the case that SC players were simply forcing their way to the basket by bodying Dorka & Aaliyah out of the way. When I saw Mir fight for position, body up Amihere and come down with the rebound, I immediately thought of Gabby, and wondered why our Bigs, other than Liv, were getting pushed around.
Like I said, they got pushed around because they don't know how to use their bodies and positioning.

Reaction Score

I read all the posts. Interesting. Thanks to everyone.

I watched Geno’s postgame press conference. I admire him, but I was disappointed by what he said today. I wish he would take some responsibility.

But when he says that South Carolina hasn’t won the NC yet, I believe him. UConn had a good first half. It will take a lot of work, but UConn can beat South Carolina. And if they don’t, it will be interesting to see them try. It’s the drama of sports.

Reaction Score
I did not know Muhl had surgery in the off season. As for Bueckers, to ask any player to essentially be the best player on the court at two positions at the same time is just unrealistic. She was gassed with the 3 games in 3 days regimen and understandably so.
She didn't have any surgery, Bueckers did.

Reaction Score
She had ankle surgery during the off season and was in a boot during part of the Summer practice. She hasn't been the same since she came back and I believe that she hasn't fully recovered from the surgery.
Thanks. I didn't know that. I thought she was healthy all summer. So what that means is her injury last season was more serious than we thought.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the optimism. We are going to need it.

1. Paige cannot do it alone. She either wore down or is not feeling right. She made "tired" turnovers, the kind she never makes.
2. SC guards are great , both on offense and defense.
3. Evina did disappear after a strong start. And by " re-appearing "in the fourth period, do you mean because she scored our three points? We need a high energy person to keep her fresh. She disappeared.
4. Olivia played one of her best games. But she is limited without a reliable outside shot. Not much we can do about that.
5. Edwards seemed to get bounced around by SC inside, as well. And she has only lay-ups to her offense. UCONN needs much more from her. Is it there ?
6. Dorka may be twice "all big10," but that doesn't amount to much. She is fighting, I'll give her that. But her game seems limited. She is no answer for anyone of the bigs at SC. Her outside shot is not existent and she doesn't have great hands.
7. I wonder why Geno stayed away from Azzi? Did she screw up in her early minutes? With the speed and athleticism of SC's guards, it was not clear if she could ever break free for a shot, either. But we needed someone who could put the ball in the basket. And the entire fourth quarter, no one could.
8. Nice to see Mir and Muhl on the court. But neither is a threat. And Geno stayed with them for about 2-3 minutes.
9. We have no chance against this SC team unless there is enormous change and development. And that will be hard to do against the non-competitive Big East teams. We will always look better than we are.
10. So from whence can the improvement come?
- Azzi Fudd of course
- I really don't think Paige can be at her best without rest. So if she can play with 100% energy we'll be better.
- We had 3 offensive rebounds and SC had 18? What is going to change that? It seems unlikely it can come from our starting 5.
- Maybe Aubrey can add something. But, if she still can't shoot the ball (other than lay-ups) she will only help in the Big East.
- I gather that DeBerry is lost? When we hear only, " that she has had trouble adjusting," one has to think we are not going to see her
- So maybe Piath Gabriel needs to be forced into the Big East games, so she can become a force. She is the only player with size and strength to match up to pretty much anybody. What are the chances of that happening?( I know. Zero).
- I failed to mention Caroline Descharmes. she didn't get off the bench. I know it is early. But maybe she will develop into one of those players who can relieve Paige and or Evina, without the team losing a step. This is a real likelihood. The Big east can be her training ground.

Unless Geno and his team find some miracle solutions, we ain't winning the championship this year. Not even close. Don't forget, USF gave us fits. And fort Hays scored nearly 50.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Yeah, All the panic over the close S Florida game is a bit tiresome. Sure, we should certainly have won a little more easily but we didn’t play well and they did! That generally makes some difference in the outcome of any game. They just beat Oregon in the consolation game so I think it’s safe to say Jose has them playing pretty well right now. The big concern Imo, is our unbelievable lack of toughness and the seeming inability/unwillingness of anyone but Paige to step up and at least attempt to impact the game. As long as this team, which has unbelievable talent (on paper) continues to play hot potato with the ball rather than taking open shots, we’re not going to see anything different from last year when Paige basically had to win all the tough games. That is simply not a winning strategy against tough, disciplined, well-rounded teams like South Carolina! Finally, I have high hopes for Azzi’s eventually becoming a very good/great player for us but maybe it’s time to stop the “Azzi is better than Paige nonsense”! As they say in the south, “That dog won’t hunt!”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I have not read any postgame comments yet, though I plan to. I’ll make this one comment about this game and move on. I will sum up the game today in just 3 words. “We got outplayed.” Our team played hard, especially in the first half. Our team was trying to do the best they could. It wasn't good enough.

Now they know what they must improve on. I choose to look at the game as SC winning the 2nd half big. We won the first half.

You’ve got to tip your hat (turban) to Dawn and her team. They ARE the number 1 team in the country and played like it. All of the questions we had about this team have been answered. I’m done. Now, I’m turning all my attention and focus to our next opponent, Seton Hall. :)

Reaction Score
The UConn guards scored 43 points and the SC guards scored 42. That’s why we lost. SC has superior post play; we were supposed to have superior guard play. That didn’t happen.

Reaction Score
First - Olivia played well in her role.

Second - the not so good:
Offense cannot continue to rely on three guards for the bulk of the scoring. There needs to be 5 valid scorers on the floor at all times.
Rebounding must improve.

Edwards has been AWOL. What is going on? She looks like a shell of her freshman year. Without her, it's not going to work. Maybe she needs to be out back in her 6th man role. Azzi has had one decent game. Maybe too much hype. Dorka has been a disappointment. I don't see any offense or rebounding or defense. Caroline - not yet. Nika - something is up with her. Not a lot of minutes. Team needs her energy and grit.

Very seldom to I question the coaching. But I am wondering what Geno is trying to do. He returns 5 starters but is only using 4 of them. Early substitution patterns that we have seen in the first two games are unusual for him. I know they have only played 3 games but something is not right. Something is missing.
As I’ve said before on this thread - it’s way too early to reach conclusions about this team. It’s only been 4 games guys! Stewie got benched her freshman year before she became great. Edwards and Muhl are not as good as last year… we don’t know why. Griffin’s hurt. One thing we know for sure is that Geno and his staff will figure it out and this team will get better.

Reaction Score
Very good post, your right !
I think the fact that she blocked some shots ( on Boston no less ) gave us encouragement. She fought and hustled all game. Her major limitation is she can't shoot. Or won't ( She gives up open 10-12 feet jump shots). Instead of taking an open shot, she dishes to a double-covered Williams in the corner. How is that supposed to work out? So, yes. She was not great. She just did some good things. Probably she played better than we expected her to. So we praised her work. Blah.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Like I said, they got pushed around because they don't know how to use their bodies and positioning.
Yes, but I don’t think a concern over getting into foul trouble had anything to do with getting pushed around. There was one play in particular when Dorka was trying to front Boston in the low blocks, when a SC guard shot the ball. Boston easily pinned Dorka behind her, gathered up the rebound and scored about as easily as you could imagine. Dorka was helpless to do anything about it.

Reaction Score
Geno commented in the presser that the coaches need to figure out how to get her open. I agree with how you described her play. Also he said that when she was in, SC immediately ran the offense at her.
So Fudd is such a liability on defense she had to sit because SC went after her? Auriemma and Dailey did not feel she could step up to the challenge? Or is she really as limited laterally as this game and the Arkansas one seem to indicate? And is her inability to get open at this level further indication that she may just be compromised athletically? This is not high school or AAU.
Now in fairness, she has played four games, and this is nothing but bar talk IMO until she has played far more than four games, but with the hype attached to her commitment, these seemingly fundamental issues are a bit surprising.

Reaction Score
I have not read any postgame comments yet, though I plan to. I’ll make this one comment about this game and move on. I will sum up the game today in just 3 words. “We got outplayed.” Our team played hard, especially in the first half. Our team was trying to do the best they could. It wasn't good enough.

Now they know what they must improve on. I choose to look at the game as SC winning the 2nd half big. We won the first half.

You’ve got to tip your hat (turban) to Dawn and her team. They ARE the number 1 team in the country and played like it. All of the questions we had about this team have been answered. I’m done. Now, I’m turning all my attention and focus to our next opponent, Seton Hall. :)
Yes. Seton Hall. That'll be a big challenge. I hope Geno uses the Big East games to work on changes for the better. That will include ample use of the bench. All the way down to Piath. But it won't happen. Players have to earn time in practice, which we do not see.

Reaction Score
So Fudd is such a liability on defense she had to sit because SC went after her? Auriemma and Dailey did not feel she could step up to the challenge? Or is she really as limited laterally as this game and the Arkansas one seem to indicate? And is her inability to get open at this level further indication that she may just be compromised athletically? This is not high school or AAU.
Now in fairness, she has played four games, and this is nothing but bar talk IMO until she has played far more than four games, but with the hype attached to her commitment, these seemingly fundamental issues are a bit surprising.
You are already writing her off as a potential great player? Even I think that is a bit pre-mature.

Reaction Score

I read all the posts. Interesting. Thanks to everyone.

I watched Geno’s postgame press conference. I admire him, but I was disappointed by what he said today. I wish he would take some responsibility.

But when he says that South Carolina hasn’t won the NC yet, I believe him. UConn had a good first half. It will take a lot of work, but UConn can beat South Carolina. And if they don’t, it will be interesting to see them try. It’s the drama of sports.

Just watched but I saw him take responsibility not sure what you were watching

Reaction Score
You are already writing her off as a potential great player? Even I think that is a bit pre-mature.
Uh, I think the “bar talk” and “four game” references would indicate exactly the opposite, but feel free to read into my comment what you will.

Reaction Score
The anti-Liv crowd is amazing. Let’s cherry-pick a statistic why don’t we? You might also point out that Liv didn’t hit a single 3-pt shot today.

My post talks exclusively about Liv’s defense which was exceptional today. So let’s look at defensive stats: 5 rebounds, 5 blocks, 2 steals. She was also 3/4 with 4 assists.
I don’t think I can remember a UConn player that has been unrelentingly criticized as much as ONO! It’s just unbelievable and unfair as well Imo. Is she as good as Boston? No, but that is not her fault! Call me when you can say she’s not trying! Let’s hear your observations about how she’s lazy, mails it in, demonstrates a “lack of effort” . Has it occurred to any of the Liv haters out there that this is what she is capable of? Just because she was recruited by and plays at UConn does not mean she can perform beyond her talent level! As long as I feel she is trying to play hard, that’s good enough for me and should be for any UConn fan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom