SC Postgame Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I my opinion, it's only a matter of time for Nika to be replaced even more in the rotation, unless there are some injuries. Her best option is to start hitting 3 pointers consistently because there can be a role for that. Rather than detail it isn't it clear we need an upgrade to win this thing.
How do you replace someone who isn’t in the rotation to begin with? IMO, Uconn needs toughness, players willing to get dirty and play with refuse to lose attitude for 40 minutes, not build a lead out of the gate and then glide, which has become a pattern for this program. That works for almost all the teams Uconn plays but not when your only real goal is NCs and the only games that really count are late in March. Ultimately, the game today means nothing but Uconn doesn’t need more 3 pointers, they need players who not only want but LIVE to stop the other team from scoring, players who NEED that rebound, that loose ball.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Head bangShe still probably be shooting better that Nika at the rate she’s going.
Maybe Geno should have stuck with the epiphany he gained about recruiting European players after coaching Sveta.

Reaction Score
Caruso could definitely go up high! [just kidding
Liv was ok, but as a senior has to be a lot better. Does anyone think a senior Stewie or Tuck playing that way is acceptable? This is Uconn, the standard is higher then at other schools.
Liv is not stewie or tuck. Liv is Liv what we have seen from her three years is what we can expect to see this year. Nothing more.

Reaction Score
You only need two stats to understand the game. 19 offensive rebounds for SC and 19 turnovers for us. That's 19 extra possessions we gave them and 19 possessions we gave back to them without a shot due to our turnovers. The 19 boards are the result of their physicality and our lack of boxing out and going for the ball and some bad bounces. The turnovers are due to lack of movement, the wrong people handling and making decisions with the ball, bad passes, walking, 3 seconds and the stuff you work on with grammar school and high school kids. This is the team we have to beat to win #12. To do it we have to play a full game like we played in the first 16 minutes or so. Use our speed and be aggressive and energetic for 40 minutes. We were fatigued I thought. We need to be in better shape and now the minutes that Geno played CW and Evina and Paige in the first two games don't look so smart.

Reaction Score
I have noticed that Nika has done the same thing wrong in two games.
I think it may have been mentioned to her (100% pure speculation) that she should drive to the basket and dish it to an open teammate. On two occasions she drove to the baseline and then threw the ball to the other team. Same thing against two teams.
I am hoping that she is putting too much pressure on herself and suddenly realizes this and reverts to her normal self. We need her in the game to take over the PG role and let Paige be Paige, Evina be Evina and Christyn be Christyn. Even if it's only for 5 minute spurts.
You may very well be right, it is just strange to me that she went from a player who Auriemma obviously respected and praised to one who is now merely an afterthought, yanked for every mistake if your premise is correct. Especially because this team still lacks what she brings, 40 minutes of intensity. Not to mention, moving Bueckers to her most productive position.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
That should not be a factor. She has played with the international distance her whole life.
Well first I'd say that my comment was more of a "quip" than a serious point. But in reply to your comment I'd say that yes it is a factor. The statistics that were quoted were achieved with the US line and yes I would expect that shots taken from a longer distance will statistically reduce shooting percentage.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I want to take this opportunity to congratulate SC players on this win as so many other BYers have.
Many of the things the SC Carolina players did in that game were very very admirable- just hate that it had to be against UCONN. In many aspects SC played more like old UCONN teams today that UCONN did. . One of the hallmarks of the UCONN program has always been the ability to handle adversity and many of the SC players did that today. Quick example: 1) Zia Cooke picked up two early fouls and had to be sent to the bench. Remarkably Dawn put her back into the game to close out the half and the first thing Cooke did was take the ball to the hoop strong and drew a blocking foul on Christyn Williams. Had that play gone the other way the entire game would have changed. Instead Zia went to the line made two FT and helped SC chip away at the lead to get within 3 at the half. 2) The 4th quarter-in his post game news conference Geno said the team just ran out of gas. Not that we needed Geno to point out the obvious. No matter what time of the season, beginning middle or tournament time, this ( better conditioned) has also been a hallmark of UCONN teams. SC flipped the conditioning script on UCONN in this game. This is kind of ironic because one of the recurring false criticism of Boston on the BY has been related to her conditioning. Hopefully that falsehood can be put to rest permanently because Boston sure looked better conditioned than some UCONN players in the 4th quarter today considering that it was SC 3rd game against a top 10 team- the other being Oregon and NC St.

Reaction Score
Azzi reminds a little of KML...the 3 point shot is pretty close, but KML had trouble getting open when she was pressed by a defender. She did have Stewie and the gang for a couple years, so getting open was easier.
To a degree, but I would urge you to take a look at KML against Stanford and Baylor as a freshman. Hunting and hitting open shots against the #3 and #1 team in the country. She came to Storrs confident and knew exactly her role. She went out and led the team in scoring.

I'm going to refrain from drawing any conclusions about Azzi for another 10 or so games.

Reaction Score
To a degree, but I would urge you to take a look at KML against Stanford and Baylor as a freshman. Hunting and hitting open shots against the #3 and #1 team in the country. She came to Storrs confident and knew exactly her role. She went out and led the team in scoring.

I'm going to refrain from drawing any conclusions about Azzi for another 10 or so games.
Pretty sure that Azzi's HS team played 1 game her senior year. She may still be getting re-acclimated to the environment of being in an actual game.
Also different players get comfortable at different rates. As I noted earlier, it took almost all season for MoJet and Tuck to get going.

Reaction Score
Azzi didn't get much opportunity today time-wise. When she was in though, she really just hangs out on the wing and isn't very aggressive in getting herself open. It's almost like plays were happening without her, and she just stood there. Not bashing her -- it may be by design. Just an observation.
Anna Makurat would this last year.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Is Lou okay? She wasn’t in lineup last game.
Lou played in Sunday game and scored 16 points. She missed Thursdays game, a 50 point blowout. She showed up to Spain a week early, to make the Valencia game on November 1st.So team gave her extra time off during 10 day international break.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Good stuff!
Re: Liv. I think all of us here can think of 20 championship teams in history that had a big-man with limitations. It's almost in the definition of what is a big-man. We have arguably the best guards. (please Coach- figure out how to use Azzi- an absolute crime that she did not impact this game! ) Luc Longley, Steve Patterson, Kendrick Perkins, ...........
Ah! A poster who knows some basketball history.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure that Azzi's HS team played 1 game her senior year. She may still be getting re-acclimated to the environment of being in an actual game.
Also different players get comfortable at different rates. As I noted earlier, it took almost all season for MoJet and Tuck to get going.
Exactly why I said I am refraining from drawing any conclusions for 10 more games.

Reaction Score
Another thing that has happened in all the games is that they've had chances to really establish leads but have had a bunch of unforced turnovers. Re-watching the first half, Dorka was playing really hard, but had two really bad turnovers. One was off a broken play which is kind of forgivable. The other was just an unforced travel at the beginning of a set. EW also had a good first half but she also had a couple of unforced turnovers. One she was trying to go behind the back when SC started to unleash their press. The other was a miscommunication right before the half when they could've used more clock. They probably should've been up more than three at half time.
Also in the midst of those turnovers, they also had a couple rough calls go against them. Dorka looked like she had a clean play on the ball against LA which sort of hurt momentum. Then there was an obvious charge not called on Boston that led to an easy 2.
First half is actually kind of fun to re-watch. Paige was really good. TBH the whole team was really good, That's why being up only three doesn't seem right.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
too obvious:
1. dorka came on around 4 minutes in, with us down by 3. played mostly thru the end of the half, which finished with us up by 3. watch the replay, she was in, and on, a lot of stuff, including the floor which she hit numerous times. u know who noticed her play? coach, cuz he started her the second half.
2. with aboot 5 mins left in the first half, the announcer went on a soliloquy - 'this game will be determined by rebounding.' she said it repeatedly.
3. yesterday, someone said 'i don't remember seeing this many predictions having us losing before.' many mentioned the possibility of being dominated on the inside as their reason. lots of honest and astute non-yellers here.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Mellow?
During the fourth quarter meltdown there was a shot of him standing on the sideline with a huge grin on
his face. Was he thinking happy thoughts; like what to put on tomorrow’s menu at one of his restaurants?
It's his disbelief/sarcastic smile. I think it's a coping mechanism.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom