SC Postgame Thread | Page 20 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Liv is doing fine. EXCEPT she is not living up to the BY's expectations. She is not Stewie or Morgan or Kiah or Stef except in the minds of some BYers, she should be.
I believe she was a top five recruit or close to it coming out of high school and the number one or two rated post player. Expectations for her were set high based on that ranking. Was she overrated or was that as good as it gets?

Reaction Score
Paige is fast. When they are not sidelined by injury, Aubrey is faster, and, I believe, Mir is the fastest. Recall that Mir was a track and field athlete.
I don't know about track speed but with the ball in her hands Henderson might be one of if not the fastest point guard in the country between the lines.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I believe she was a top five recruit or close to it coming out of high school and the number one or two rated post player. Expectations for her were set high based on that ranking. Was she overrated or was that as good as it gets?
Based upon Liv's play as a Huskie, I would have to guess that she was overrated coming out of HS. I am a believer that Geno, CD, Jamelle and every other coach develop players to be the best that they can be. Even though she is tall, she could be considered small in her overall size, which is fine. She plays hard and gives her all. As I said before, against SC and their bigs, she played a very good defensive game, especially the first half.

Reaction Score
If you can't shoot well in high school you probably are not going to shoot well in college either. A lot of players get to the basket well in high school but without a jump shot they get denied to the basket in college against top competition. Ideally you want both the ability to get to the basket and the jump shot in any prospect.

Reaction Score
Last year we had Nike starting and doing a good job (great on defense), edwards great off the bench and Griffin as a difference maker/disrupter off the bench. We know Griffin’s hurt. But what’s up with Nika. At this stage we’re not as good a team as we ended last year with… even though we’ve added Dorka and Azzi. But I’m sure we’ll get there by mid season.
And I think Caroline Decharmes is expected to be great. If she isn't....if she is simply a taller Molly Bent....we are in trouble. I loved Molly but she was not a great player at this level...Although her effort was not ever questioned. But Caroline needs to make a difference. Period.

Reaction Score
And I think Caroline Decharmes is expected to be great. If she isn't....if she is simply a taller Molly Bent....we are in trouble. I loved Molly but she was not a great player at this level...Although her effort was not ever questioned. But Caroline needs to make a difference. Period.
4 games in and you are making her a career mop up player just stop with the over reaction please

Centerstream

Reaction Score
How many freshman players, that were not the #1 recruit, have made an instantaneous "difference"? After 3 games, saying that Caroline will be the 2nd coming of Molly Bent is just so wrong and hurtful, IMO.
But you are entitled to your opinion.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
My favorite ONO moment.
I wish, just once, that Liv could do that in a game. But I am guessing that maybe game time dunks are frowned upon. When was the last time, if ever, a Huskie tried it?

Reaction Score
I wish, just once, that Liv could do that in a game. But I am guessing that maybe game time dunks are frowned upon. When was the last time, if ever, a Huskie tried it?
Don’t think dunking is frowned upon.
But MISSING a dunk is very very very frowned upon.

It’s sort of like an Evel knievrl jump — fame and fortune if you make it; death if you fail.

Reaction Score
How many freshman players, that were not the #1 recruit, have made an instantaneous "difference"? After 3 games, saying that Caroline will be the 2nd coming of Molly Bent is just so wrong and hurtful, IMO.
But you are entitled to your opinion.
Not what I said. Read the post again and note the " if"

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
You only need two stats to understand the game. 19 offensive rebounds for SC and 19 turnovers for us. That's 19 extra possessions we gave them and 19 possessions we gave back to them without a shot due to our turnovers. The 19 boards are the result of their physicality and our lack of boxing out and going for the ball and some bad bounces. The turnovers are due to lack of movement, the wrong people handling and making decisions with the ball, bad passes, walking, 3 seconds and the stuff you work on with grammar school and high school kids. . . .
I was wholly with you until the last few words: those basic errors are far too often visible at all levels of the sport, right into the pro's. Coaches at all those levels cannot assume that their players will give unrelenting attention to those basics. That's why I'm glad to see Geno schedule early season games vs. top teams; that's one sure way that players' inattention/carelessnes will be exposed and remind them what their lapses cost them. Great incentive to make sure they correct the problems. That's coaching.

Last edited:

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Great post.

On the first comment above, I know there is not much to do on long rebounds, but shouldn't that responsibility of boxing out be on our guards?
2nd qtr - we missed several ORB due to long rebounds. We had them boxed out, but the ball bounced far off the rim and we lost the rebound - it happens. unfortunately, I counted 5 long rebounds that went right to SC when we had them boxed out. we lost a couple ORB when we got tied up or couldn't get a grip on the ball.
Long rebounds are precisely why all defenders need to box out, put their bodies on their opponts' bodies, make contact and maintain it no matter where they are on the court . . . between their opponent and the basket. There may be the occasional rebound that sails out over both players, but that's the occasional one we don't get. But it won't happen 19 times per game!

Reaction Score
I agree and I didn't say 19 times. I said the 5 I mentioned and a few more I thought were fortuitous for SC.

I am not somebody to give our team a pass, but in this game, we got a lot of tough bounces of the ball off the rim. This was not only long rebounds that seemed to find SC players much more often than our own, but also when we fronted Boston to prevent the pass into the post, the ball came off the rim nice and soft right into Boston's hands for the lay in. When we rotated to guard the three, the ball came down to Beal for the lay in. We had a tough time with bounces off the rim in this game and this was exacerbated by SC skill, size and strength.

We did lose a few RBs that I would have hoped we would have gotten, but hey, SC is good too, and they are strong and big. Otherwise 19 ORB might have been closer to 12 or so, which would have been reasonable, given SC size and strength.

We got killed on the boards and still had a chance to win with 6 to go before we completely tanked it down the stretch. By the way, several of those SC ORB came in the last 6 minutes too.

It is not as bad as the stats would suggest but.... what is our answer for the last 6 minutes when we were completely gassed going against a big, strong team?

We need more from , AE and CW. AG would have helped a lot in this game as well. 4 key players that we got little or nothing from in comparison with what you would have hoped we could get from in a big game like this.

For those who love CW, this is a game she needs to take over, at least in stretches. The problem is that SC has a good defender who can check her with in Beal. CW was average at best in this game. We need a first team AA performance in big meaningful games from CW this year!

Reaction Score
I was wholly with you until the last few words: those basic errors are far too often visible at all levels of the sport, right into the pro's. Coaches at all those levels cannot assume that their players will give unrelenting attention to those basics. That's why I'm glad to see Geno schedule early season games vs. top teams; that's one sure way that players' inattention/carelessnes will be exposed and remind them what their lapses cost them. Great incentive to make sure they correct the problems. That's coaching.
You're right and that is precisely the problem. We have college players and sometimes pro players as you point out without fundamental skills now. Why? We certainly used to.The fundamentals obviously are not being taught or stressed. What I have seen in AAU, having coached both boys and girls, is that those coaches are running an event for college coaches to see or for highlight reels to be made. You don't just let them go out and play if you want them to improve and learn the game.

Here is a true story. My nephew had played on at least 10 different AAU/travel/ club teams by the time he got to be a sophomore in high school. Before his sophomore year he grew to a strong 6'3" and was an inside player. We began working out a little to get him ready for the season. We were talking about not giving baseline up on a drive. I don't even know if that is a "thing" anymore. I showed him how to plant his foot on the baseline and told him to just wait for the charge. He looked at me like I was speaking Martian. He had never been taught how to take a charge. I was in shock. So was his mother after I told her who went for thousands for these leagues and lessons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom