SC Postgame Thread | Page 21 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Exactly right. ONO isn't going to score on Boston with one-on-one moves in the low post. Geno put her at the elbow to set screens, to relieve ball pressure, make passes to cutters and take the elbow jumper. Dolson did all those things better than Liv and Stef had low-post moves that Liv doesn't have. I too think Liv can make mid-range shots. She had 6 assists last night off some nifty passes. I'm not sure how else to play Liv.
Except she wasn't at the elbow; she set up just inside the 3-pt arc, and Boston never/rarely left the lane to contest ONO's shots. No need to. Now, set ONO at the foul line where she can shoot virtual free throws, and that will bring out Boston and other bigs.

Reaction Score
ONO made me want to rip my hair out(I don't have any) on offense, but she really held Boston in check on D until that 4th foul. We took the lead in the 3rd playing her, Aubrey, and Alliyah together.
I, too, like Liv, AE & Aubrey playing alongside Nika and Paige .. but I have dreams about Saylor subbing in for Aubrey when we need the 3-point shot .. I have the same good feeling about Saylor that I did about Nika .. there is still time left this season to develop this .. I hope it's not a pipe dream .. well, at least I was right about Nika :)

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The game is not over when the clock hits 0. It’s over when the buzzer sounds.
The clock is instantaneous. Sound is slower. Refs review the clock, this is how a timing system works. The clock controls the buzzer, there is a delay when the clock goes to 0.0, then sends a signal to the horn relay then the horn sounds, the electrons of the clock are faster than the speed of sound. During the game the officials listen, during a review look at the clock.

Reaction Score
And BTW, for all the anti-UConn fans who claim “just luck” on Paige’s 3 point shot to end the game, what about this Hail Mary shot to end the half time? You can’t have it both ways...
No attack DefenseBB: You will see I liked what you posted. I thought both shots were very well executed by players with shooting talent. Often some players get a shooters roll due to proper ball rotation that was not needed for Zia as her ball hit nothing but net, perfect trajectory. For those calling Paige's shot lucky they should realize she had perfect ball rotation and almost perfect trajectory. The ball hit the back of the rim, a few inches deeper in it goes in off the glass a few shorter nothing but net. Had she been off left or right, round ball round rim she does not get the strait in the air bounce and swoosh. Great shot.
Geno's low scoring plan worked out.
Again no attack freshler40, actually got a good chuckle out of this. Sometimes the other teams defense should be given credit. Having said that their D did not cause so many open shots not to fall or those from the foul line either. I didn't even think of that being part of Geno's plan. UConn, shot clock violations??? I can't remember the last time he pulled that one out of his hat. ;)

Reaction Score
The clock is instantaneous. Sound is slower. Refs review the clock, this is how a timing system works. The clock controls the buzzer, there is a delay when the clock goes to 0.0, then sends a signal to the horn relay then the horn sounds, the electrons of the clock are faster than the speed of sound. During the game the officials listen, during a review look at the clock.
Every close basketball game I've ever watched the announcers have gone out of their way to emphasize that the game is over at the buzzer/backboard lights up NOT when the clock says 0.

• On January 5, 2004, the Texas Longhorns' forward P. J. Tucker hit a buzzer beater in a game against Providence College to win 79–77 in OT. After extensive looks at instant replay, it was clear that the ball was in his hand when the game clock hit 00.0, but out before the red backboard light came on; by rule, the game ends when the backboard lights up, so the basket counted and Texas won the game.[4]

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Every close basketball game I've ever watched the announcers have gone out of their way to emphasize that the game is over at the buzzer/backboard lights up NOT when the clock says 0.

• On January 5, 2004, the Texas Longhorns' forward P. J. Tucker hit a buzzer beater in a game against Providence College to win 79–77 in OT. After extensive looks at instant replay, it was clear that the ball was in his hand when the game clock hit 00.0, but out before the red backboard light came on; by rule, the game ends when the backboard lights up, so the basket counted and Texas won the game.[4]
From the referenced post, no mention about the horn/buzzer
Officials in the National Collegiate Athletic Association, National Basketball Association, Women's National Basketball Association, Serie A (Italy), and the Euroleague (Final Four series only, effective 2006) are required to use instant replay to assess whether a shot made at the end of a period was in fact released before the game clock expired.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
You know, sometimes the other team gets to influence what you can and can't do in a basketball game. The better the team, the greater the influence. With speed and length on the perimeter and two rim protectors, SC intimidated our shooters and denied CW slashing to the rim. They gave Liv and AE all the jump shots they wanted but still had Liv backing out a couple feet away from her comfort zone. I understand the thought that if you're going to straddle the line you might as well get behind it, but really I think her sweet spot is 10-12'. About all that left us that was going to work was a pull-up mid-range game. Thankfully, Paige is pretty good at that stuff. One thing that I do know, is that everyone that played for UConn last night 'showed up' and is feeling it today. They banged on the boards and held SC to 59 points in 45 minutes and every play was contested. If you want to call someone a 'no show' that's your prerogative but it's saying more about you than about the player you're trying to denigrate. I will say though that if EW continues to be hobbled (maybe a couple games off will help) and CW can't find her shot, Geno's small lineup is going to have a hard time spacing the floor against good teams. Maybe Anna coming back will help, maybe EW gets a second wind, maybe Christyn gets her shot back... Without one or two of those things happening, I expect we'll see a lot more of Liv, AE, and Aubrey playing together. BTW, kind of lost in all the other noise, but AG gave us warrior minutes last night, AE too.

Reaction Score
My granddaughter’s JV basketball team lost a tournament game years ago similar to that. We were up by only 1 point. The opposing player threw up a prayer from half court at the end of the game with time running out. She was fouled, made the free throws.

The game was a close back and forth nail biter for 39 minutes and 50 seconds when we finally got the lead we believed would win the game. We win if we don’t foul her. The shot would have been an air ball. The player that fouled her realized she had cost her team the game. Players, coaches and parents were all upset, but couldn’t/ didn’t say anything.

All of the players on our team learned a valuable lesson that day. We ended up winning the tournament. That incident was one best made and learned at the JV level and not the varsity. It’s funny the things that stick with you over the course of time, even those that are seemingly insignificant. I will take that memory to the grave.
Really great. But you see it wasn't insignificant at all. It involved your granddaughter who you wanted to see win the tournament and experience that great happiness, which she surely did.

Reaction Score
well let's see how she plays for the rest of her career at UConn...........I've been following her since she was a junior in high school and I'm still confident she's going to play an important part in the team's success........
Agreed! I would love nothing more than for her to reach her potential. I think she has the work ethic, it seems like a mental block. We shall see how the rest of the year goes

Reaction Score
I, too, like Liv, AE & Aubrey playing alongside Nika and Paige .. but I have dreams about Saylor subbing in for Aubrey when we need the 3-point shot .. I have the same good feeling about Saylor that I did about Nika .. there is still time left this season to develop this .. I hope it's not a pipe dream .. well, at least I was right about Nika :)

What's that about blind squirrels and acorns...

Blind GIF by memecandy

Reaction Score
A few games ago Nika was crying on the bench- tears rolling down her cheek. Today she is the starting point guard on the number 1 team in the country and looks every bit the part. Now that's "off the roof"!

Reaction Score
I think at this point in time CW is not a prime time AA caliber player, but she's better than your average college player. Maybe it's in her head, maybe is just her BBall IQ but without some sustained improvement I see her falling farther and farther down the depth chart. Can't currently count on her in crunch time against quality athletic competition.
I think there are times where she's really effective and times where she's not...........I think it's more mental than physical and it's up to her to decide if she wants to be a good player or a great player........that said I doubt you'd find a coach in WBB that wouldn't want her on their team.......

Reaction Score
I can't understand how come they all can't be on at the same time. Williams played terrible, Westbrook was a no show. It seems like they are putting a lot on Bueckers shoulders and they all were top players before coming to UConn.
Westbrook is not 100% healthy and consequently has days where she simply doesn’t have it. Williams has had trouble her entire career in really big games. Remember these top high school players often dominate in high school because they are head and shoulders better physically than anyone else in the game. When they get to college they suddenly find that everyone is good. Now a lack of fundamentals, poor shooting mechanics, perhaps a lesser amount of basketball knowledge, less competitive fire, even less love for the game, suddenly becomes a big deal because they can no longer dominate simply because their physical abilities are so much better than everyone else. Some rise above this and are able to work hard and improve their weaknesses and the non- physical part of their game enough to separate themselves from the field again. Others have a harder time doing that. Then of course you have a few, a very few, that are simply on a different plane than the mere mortals. These are players like Diana, Maya, Breanna, and (I believe) Paige. Cheryl Miller, Candace Parker, and Holdsclaw are some examples of non UConn greats. I really feel for Christyn as I believe she is a victim of poor mechanics and fundamentals and every year that goes by makes it more difficult and less likely that she can change those weaknesses to strengths. I think this situation with Paige being so incredible is probably hard for her to deal with as well. She strikes me as a proud person who likely has been dreaming of this being her team only to now be faced with a different reality. She wants to be the alpha but simply does not have it in her. I am pulling for her to really bear down and finish out this season strong and then go find a strong shot doctor and spend next summer fixing her shot and remaking her body for her senior season. I wish her all the best.
??? Anna isnt getting any shots off against SC. She doesn’t show up in big games at all and hasn’t shot well all season.
Are you aware that she was playing with an injury?
??? Anna isnt getting any shots off against SC. She doesn’t show up in big games at all and hasn’t shot well all season.

Reaction Score
Since she’s not hitting these wouldn’t it have been more effective to have driven to the hoop and get early fouls on Boston and maybe also scoring a higher percentage than Liv?(easy for me to say)
Easier said than done but I agree, Christyn should have never started the game with a 3 and she should have been going to the basket on every good opportunity!

Reaction Score
I guess you missed my earlier post. Take a look at the picture and where the ball is, the time on the clock and the light behind the backboard. The shot was good.

uconn vs sc halftime shot.JPG

Reaction Score
Actually your pathetic, Paige played awesome as we all expect. I guess when you look at it from a game to game basis you should be excited to have watched a good game. In the grand scheme of things, the way we win doesn’t look good. As a freshman (hopefully not) Paige will hit her freshman wall and time is running out on our veterans to get with the program. Yeah this win is good, but I don’t wanna see Sc cutting down the nets in March, because are veterans can’t figure out how to contribute. On Sc everyone was playing as a team and contributed. They had an off night shooting as did we, but Paige may not be able to carry us for the rest of the year every single time. A signature of UConn is everyone does their part and I’m not seeing that and that is not a championship team in March. Be happy if you want, I already said days ago that Paige is the best at this point in her career than anyone we’ve ever had, but this isn’t 2004, these teams are better equipped to take on a team not fully engaged. I hope I’m wrong trust me.
Lighten up, for goodness sake. One game at a time. Can’t you enjoy a program that is unsurpassed? Oh, and learn to spell. You’re, not your.

Reaction Score
You know, sometimes the other team gets to influence what you can and can't do in a basketball game. The better the team, the greater the influence. With speed and length on the perimeter and two rim protectors, SC intimidated our shooters and denied CW slashing to the rim. They gave Liv and AE all the jump shots they wanted but still had Liv backing out a couple feet away from her comfort zone. I understand the thought that if you're going to straddle the line you might as well get behind it, but really I think her sweet spot is 10-12'. About all that left us that was going to work was a pull-up mid-range game. Thankfully, Paige is pretty good at that stuff. One thing that I do know, is that everyone that played for UConn last night 'showed up' and is feeling it today. They banged on the boards and held SC to 59 points in 45 minutes and every play was contested. If you want to call someone a 'no show' that's your prerogative but it's saying more about you than about the player you're trying to denigrate. I will say though that if EW continues to be hobbled (maybe a couple games off will help) and CW can't find her shot, Geno's small lineup is going to have a hard time spacing the floor against good teams. Maybe Anna coming back will help, maybe EW gets a second wind, maybe Christyn gets her shot back... Without one or two of those things happening, I expect we'll see a lot more of Liv, AE, and Aubrey playing together. BTW, kind of lost in all the other noise, but AG gave us warrior minutes last night, AE too.
Thank you for an excellent post and reminder.
There are so many more good programs out there, and that’s going to continue. The days of UCONN domination and “pretty” basketball are gone, and that’s good for the game. I’ve been a fan since 1990, and I’m deeply grateful for the ride.

Reaction Score
Thank you for an excellent post and reminder.
There are so many more good programs out there, and that’s going to continue. The days of UCONN domination and “pretty” basketball are gone, and that’s good for the game. I’ve been a fan since 1990, and I’m deeply grateful for the ride.

Next year and the year after they will be back. OFC even the super teams had one or two tough games.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I guess you missed my earlier post. Take a look at the picture and where the ball is, the time on the clock and the light behind the backboard. The shot was good.

View attachment 64453

Going by FS1's clock Cooke's shot was about 0.3 late but even that is irrelevant because she traveled, something completely overlooked in all this.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Going by FS1's clock Cooke's shot was about 0.3 late but even that is irrelevant because she traveled, something completely overlooked in all this.

The one in yellow is the shot clock NOT the game clock. It was under 30 seconds so it is always :00.0

Reaction Score
I’m not sure why so many people are happy here. Yes Paige is the best ever as a freshman we’ve ever had.... easy to see. But we are in serious trouble if the upper class players don’t take a long look in the mirror. I’m embarrassed as a UConn fan for the way they played tonight. It takes away from the excitement of the future titles that Paige and her crew will bring us. The freshman, those are UConn championship players like we’ve had in the past. The three ALL THREE I don’t expect them to be starts at this point, but dont be scared and at least contribute. We are not significantly, but I think at least 10-15 points better than SC. The juniors need to at least do something positive because Paige is gonna need help to keep this thing going. At least DT3 had role players that did their part. These women aren’t as far as I’m concerned and it’s kinda upsetting to me. I believe these three juniors have what it takes. I’m not just saying that, I really think that. Maybe Westbrook was off because she usually does a little of everything, so I give her a pass, but the other two need to figure out what they can do besides shoot from the outside because they both aren’t the best shooters. Liv needs to focus on being a defensive force and just rebound like crazy and maybe get some easy putbacks. Williams needs to drive more and just maybe focus on defens. I’m not sure but don’t be a liability, she is too talented for that. I only watched her a couple of times and she was lost or out of sorts out there. Unacceptable at this point in her career. I love and want them both to succeed more than anything, but man it’s frustrating. We won’t win a title like this.
Pretty negative reaction given that we just beat the #1 team in the country with 3 freshman playing major roles. I for one, was thrilled that we won!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom