SC Postgame Thread | Page 19 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Ok. Can't argue about it being "a legal call", however, it seems to me the refs would have to be focusing on her, with an unobstructive view, to make that call (that happens in a split second). :confused:
exactly. A good ref doesn't even see that bc he/she is looking at more important aspects of play.

Reaction Score
Thanks for your reply BBallf. But if that is the rule, then that is a foul and I don't care what GA or anybody else has to say about it.

But.......do the refs really need to call such a foul???? If so, then why not call BS fouls when post players are jockeying for position every time down the court.

I hate the call...I think rule or no rule, it was complete BS. But....if they want to enforce the rules so stringent, no matter what GA or myself or you or anybody says, it is a foul....

Despite that , I still think it is complete garbage foul....but a foul nontheless...in accordance with the strict rules...
I don't disagree. I just find it really hard to believe that no SC picks violated the now sacred "shoulders to feet" geometric proportion. I guarantee you will not see that call at Gampel tomorrow night.

Reaction Score
I know she takes those shots with the hope that whoever is guarding her has to come out of the paint. But watching Liv take those shots at critical times makes me so nervous. Her percentage of making those are not great right now.
Since she’s not hitting these wouldn’t it have been more effective to have driven to the hoop and get early fouls on Boston and maybe also scoring a higher percentage than Liv?(easy for me to say)

Reaction Score
NCAA points of emphasis document:

"Knowing what constitutes a legal screen is imperative. Screeners must establish a legal position without causing contact. Delaying or preventing a player from reaching a desired position is the purpose of a screen and while contact will most likely occur, the screener cannot cause the contact. After setting and maintaining a legal screen, a screener is permitted to roll. This roll/movement may also delay or prevent a player from reaching a desired position, and when done without holding, clamping or creating other illegal contact, is legal. Lastly, defenders cannot be permitted to hold, reroute, or push screeners, or push through legal screens."
ok so what is a 'legal position'? As i said before if this rule, as been stated by others, is that you can't post your legs wider than your shoulders, then yes, AG has fouled.

But we can call this a lot more often if we accept this interpretation of the rule. That being said, those are the rules....I do think that this narrow interpretation of the rule is not good for the game,..after all we do allow a lot of contact in the lane that is not called...

In conclusion, I hate the call and think in general it is bad for the game, but.....it is a foul...

Reaction Score
ok so what is a 'legal position'? As i said before if this rule, as been stated by others, is that you can't post your legs wider than your shoulders, then yes, AG has fouled.

But we can call this a lot more often if we accept this interpretation of the rule. That being said, those are the rules....I do think that this narrow interpretation of the rule is not good for the game,..after all we do allow a lot of contact in the lane that is not called...

In conclusion, I hate the call and think in general it is bad for the game, but.....it is a foul...
Pretty soon games will have to be played in slow motion, so we can 'ponder' our next move correctly!

Reaction Score
She is absolutely not a bust...but it would be nice if she could do more against top level teams......She is NOT what we hoped she would be being a number one recruit.......
she's been inconsistent but good enough to be the second leading scorer on what is a very good team.........her rebounding, passing and defense have improved, it's the outside shot that's come up short so far..........of course one great game in an NC final will make all of her past issues quickly disappear....

Reaction Score
Was on the road home from western Maryland while the game was on (had to get some things done for my mother which took up a big chunk of my weekend into Monday although I did get to see the Marquette game) so was not able to watch the game. Got home and was pleased to see the victory, although the score was puzzling especially with an overtime game. Checked out the box score. First thought: Ugly game - neither team shot well. Second thought: Less than 40% free throw shooting - what the heck?

Must have been some tight defense being played and the refs were swallowing their whistles. Then I saw Paige's highlights on the ESPN site. Holy Cow!

Nice to win a game like this rather than drop a close one for a change. Reminds me of games when I first started watching the Huskies in '95. Nail biting games and a team that refuses to lose. So much more exciting than the 30+ point wins, though I enjoy them too for the sheer joy of watching how the team plays the game.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree. I just find it really hard to believe that no SC picks violated the now sacred "shoulders to feet" geometric proportion. I guarantee you will not see that call at Gampel tomorrow night.
I agree it may have been a disproportionate and over-zealous application of the rule...

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I have no idea why ONO is in the high post. I am honestly shocked she has not developed more than she has during her time at Uconn. Geno has forgotten more about quality coaching than I will ever learn or know but I do think for Uconn to have their best shot at a title ONO or CW will have to step up and help PB.

I think ONO was in the high post to draw Boston out from under the basket and create space for the guards to cut in. Stef Dolson spent a lot of time in the high post and when it's working well, then it's a beautiful offense to see. It's just when she steps out to the 3pt line I start to get antsy. I haven't rewatched the game, but I would guess that a fair percentage of our points in the paint happened when Boston was drawn out.

When ONO starts hitting those mid-range shots (because I think she will -- especially considering Geno's comments about her not seeing herself as a back to the basket kind of post and she'll need to have that in her arsenal for the W) more regularly, I think a lot of folks are going to be eating crow.

Reaction Score
she's been inconsistent but good enough to be the second leading scorer on what is a very good team.........her rebounding, passing and defense have improved, it's the outside shot that's come up short so far..........of course one great game in an NC final will make all of her past issues quickly disappear....
I just don't agree charlie...her rebounding is ok, her passing is below average and her defense was good against SC but I am not willing to eat the cheese just yet.

For what it is worth, after a poor performance against SC, I still think there is hope. not to be funny and as mentioned before, i think she needs an eye exam.

She played with no confidence in her outside shot in this game...on one shot, she hesitated, checked the wind, gave an extra long aim and still missed. something is wrong with her...she is fragile mentally...not tough. she has immense raw talent but GA can't seem to get much out of her despite 35 minutes per game and playing a scoring role.

Basically in our biggest game of the year, she did very little....She is what she is...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think ONO was in the high post to draw Boston out from under the basket and create space for the guards to cut in. Stef Dolson spent a lot of time in the high post and when it's working well, then it's a beautiful offense to see. It's just when she steps out to the 3pt line I start to get antsy. I haven't rewatched the game, but I would guess that a fair percentage of our points in the paint happened when Boston was drawn out.

When ONO starts hitting those mid-range shots (because I think she will -- especially considering Geno's comments about her not seeing herself as a back to the basket kind of post and she'll need to have that in her arsenal for the W) more regularly, I think a lot of folks are going to be eating crow.
Exactly right. ONO isn't going to score on Boston with one-on-one moves in the low post. Geno put her at the elbow to set screens, to relieve ball pressure, make passes to cutters and take the elbow jumper. Dolson did all those things better than Liv and Stef had low-post moves that Liv doesn't have. I too think Liv can make mid-range shots. She had 6 assists last night off some nifty passes. I'm not sure how else to play Liv.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I never gripe about refs in BB...In FB, I can do it almost every game. But, in this game, the refs protected Boston...
The refs NEVER called a 3 second violation on her. There were at least 5 times that she was in the lane for more than 3 seconds and they looked the other way.

Reaction Score
So Aubreys "Illegal screen", because she violated a shoulder width rule (that they were able to instantly measure with their eyes was a 'good call'?
Comment meant in reply to implications refs favored SC. At times it seemed they did (both sides appear to feel this way) but at the end of the game there were several plays that if called against UConn would have given SC the win. FYI, moving screens are being called in every game in every league across US this year. Not sure why but if you watch women's basketball you see the ref's focus on this issue. Nothing new in this game.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Exactly right. ONO isn't going to score on Boston with one-on-one moves in the low post. Geno put her at the elbow to set screens, to relieve ball pressure, make passes to cutters and take the elbow jumper. Dolson did all those things better than Liv and Stef had low-post moves that Liv doesn't have. I too think Liv can make mid-range shots. She had 6 assists last night off some nifty passes. I'm not sure how else to play Liv.

Stef and Boston also have similar bodies that are pretty much designed for banging in the paint. Liv keeps getting stronger, but she'll never be the brick wall that the other two are. She's built like Jonquel Jones and I think wants to play a role more like that, she just isn't there yet (however, I would argue that she's already a better passer).

Maybe she can get in on those extra shooting sessions with Paige and Nika.

Reaction Score
Someone a long part of this thread ago raised a follow up question to Aubrey's illegal screen call because it was too wide as sarcastically noted by Geno in his presser. Rule 4-34 provides that your screen stance cannot be wider than your shoulders. I have never seen that called before and it was typical of these referees in a big game who call the little technical garbage to prove they are so good at their jobs but miss the big plays like fouls on shots. If we enforced that rule, there would be nothing more than those calls. To selectively enforce it is unfair. How do you visually measure it? Like the refs in the Arkansas game, these were just plain terrible.
Me thinks many refs are out of practice as are players. They have endured many interruptions and even caused some game pauses. Perhaps they have spent the down time going over the golf/basketball rule books. They have found a new important issues to blow their whistles away from the ball. This doesn't make for a good flow but does provide more time for commercials or comments by uninformed commentators. Hallo!

Reaction Score
Obviously I’m thrilled that we won but I’m more jubilant that we FINALLY won a overtime game. I was convinced admittedly that UCONN would not be able to pull it off after all those heartbreaking OT losses over the years (ND, Stanford, Mississippi St) and that it would follow suit. God bless Paige!

Reaction Score

Having ONO pull Boston out may have been plan but obvious Dawn wanted ONO to shoot. Boston just camped 5-10 feet from basket and didn't guard ONO. Was impossible for much of 1st half for anyone on UConn to drive. If this was the plan, it didn't work. 2nd half, Geno did great job opening things up for more pick and rolls, back cuts.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
There are only three people in the gym who don't care who wins.....................the referees.
Actually I think that there were only two last night. Dee Kantner has always seemed to be against UConn, she appears to miss a lot of fouls/violations the opposing team does, while seeing more on UConn. She NEVER called Boston for over the back or 3 second violations. I hate it when she is calling any game that UConn plays.

Reaction Score

Liv only made 2 of 9 outside shots, one of which was to beat the shot clock but yet was not a rushed shot. She played scared but did have some some moments..a couple of nice blocks and offensive rebounds and some nice passes to cutters.

however, she is scared to challenge boston and that concerns me. she also was scared to shoot in the 4th. this is what you expect from a freshman, not a junior. we need more from her....I've been a big supported of Liv, but her game really worries me going forward....

Reaction Score
Actually I think that there were only two last night. Dee Kantner has always seemed to be against UConn, she appears to miss a lot of fouls/violations the opposing team does, while seeing more on UConn. She NEVER called Boston for over the back or 3 second violations. I hate it when she is calling any game that UConn plays.
Are you 'II really complaining about fouls? There were multiple fouls on those put backs at the end of regulation. I don't know how the ref missed the one on Edwards twice against Boston because she was staring right at it.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know just how refs are chosen for games? And, is it different from who is chosen in tournament games? :confused:

Reaction Score
The refs NEVER called a 3 second violation on her. There were at least 5 times that she was in the lane for more than 3 seconds and they looked the other way.
Thanks for the reminder MSGRET. I don't recall how many times it was, but it was more than say twice. I have to look again to see if she was fouled on her put-backs as I didnt think so originally. But, I do feel the refs protected her.

Too bad we don't have a big to take the power move to her 6-7 times a game..that could be worth 2-3 fouls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom