SC Postgame Thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
And BTW, for all the anti-UConn fans who claim “just luck” on Paige’s 3 point shot to end the game, what about this Hail Mary shot to end the half time? You can’t have it both ways...

Paige's 3 was not the game winning shot. We were up by 1 at the time and won by 4. It was a great shot, and important, but let's get off this UConn won by a lucky shot.

Reaction Score
Paige's 3 was not the game winning shot. We were up by 1 at the time and won by 4. It was a great shot, and important, but let's get off this UConn won by a lucky shot.
It was the dagger than put all end to the outcome. Also great shooters get bounces, even 10 foot bounces sometimes....

Remind everybody that SC had a lucky 3 from half court also and no way she makes that more than 1 time out of 50.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Freshmen trio shot 21/41 (51%). Rest of team 8/32 (25%).

Can't get over how unafraid of the moment Bueckers, Muhl, & Edwards are...future is blindingly bright!
The other side of the pancake is that I am very disappointed in our juniors....timid and even scared at times....

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
They were all BS. I can only watch on replay as I reside in England, but I replayed them again and again...complete and utter BS!!!!
We all got the benefit of replay and still some disagree on some calls. The officials have to call in a split second without the benefit of replay.

Reaction Score
ESPN did what to us?
If ESPN or ESPN2 was broadcasting a game and the game before ours was running into the start of our game, it would start on time on ESPN NEWS. Then it would be on ESPN or ESPN2 as soon as the other game was finished.

Reaction Score
We all got the benefit of replay and still some disagree on some calls. The officials have to call in a split second without the benefit of replay.
Very true Donald, but I am most pissed off at the offensive fouls on the screen calls.

At least 3 were easily seen as pathetic in real time and yes, now I am 'only' a fan and don't get paid to be a ref but yet some of those calls were unbelievable! Complete BS calls!

It is as if, somebody has told the refs that if you don't call 'x' amount of of illegal screens, then you don't get paid or your evaluation will suffer as a result. Some were absurd. It was infuriating to watch.

Reaction Score
In the last 8:16 of the 4th quarter, & throughout the entire OT, Paige scored ALL of UConn's points. 18 points for Paige in 13 minutes. The entire SC team also scored 18 points in the 4th + OT, but UConn had a 4 point lead entering the 4th quarter. Excepting Nika's 3 & Aubrey's 2 early in the 4th - Paige scored ALL of UConn's points in the 4th Q & OT, in a game against #1 they seemed destined to lose. I am speechless.
The other side of the pancake is that will probably not happen in the rematch. We need out Jrs to step up on offensive....just a little would be helpful!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The one thing I'm gonna let slip out about the refs is that the former NBA official was in no way a friendly whistle for UConn. Except maybe for not blowing it late in regulation.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Please forgive me if this has been discussed but there are 16 pages of comments. Does anyone know the last time women won an overtime game?
That game broke a 7-game OT losing streak which has lasted over 16 years. Connecticut last won in overtime 12/1/04 against South Florida, 76-65. Since then 7 losses, one in triple overtime to ND (one of four against them; the others were Duke, Stanford, and Mississippi State). Four of the seven were in the NCAA tournament, including 3 Final Fours.

It also runs Connecticut's record to 8-1 as a #2 playing #1 (lone loss to Baylor in 2011).
@Essexdave I hope that this answers your question..

Reaction Score
They were as bad as I've heard doing an elite game.

One play Nika gets hit on the head driving toward a pick and she says "She doesn't know about that. She was just fighting over a screen (referring to the defender)." after she said Nika got on the head. She gets clocked in the head and she is questioning it? Are you kidding? :)

How about at 7:33 Griff gets knocked to the floor for an offensive rebound and she says "This was one of those tough calls."

Paige gets a steal and goes in for layup but gets fouled she says "Paige was fortunate she got that steal otherwise Zia had a clear lane to the basket."

And in the half court set later SC commits a turnover in which Paige picks off a pass - she immediately says "Oh my." Not a word about Paige just doing again some great stuff or etc. such as "Great anticipation skills from Bueckers." Her "oh my" translation was "Damn, my team just committed another turnover." :)

How about late she speaks of all the things SC hasn't done but they are still close then saying how UCONN has been so good with their offense. Didn’t she mention this?

All the while mention how SC didn’t get the ball enough to Boston. A lot about what SC needs to do and they aren't playing to their normal level - while stating how well UCONN was running theirs? SO Evina and CWill were on the top of their games offensively? UCONN hitting so few 3's was normal? And while she brings up SC needs to get the ball to Boston--

How many of us were screaming for UCONN to give the ball to Paige during that late SC run? She didn't bring that up at all until AFTER Paige hit a jump shot. It was obvious wasn't it? But she didn't mention it beforehand but was quick to discuss Boston not getting the ball late. Why didn't she mention about getting the ball to Paige earlier? :) IMo it was because she wanted SC to win. :)

And the kicker- the announcers thought Boston had 4 fouls and when she backed down low and Edwards went flying - Boston eventually got fouled she says 'I held my breath a little Lisa because I thought WE were on the verge of an offensive foul." WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :)
I almost always turn off the audio when I watch a game for many reasons, not all bad. Mostly, I don't want to be influenced by the announcers.

Lately, I've watched a game or two with the announcers and this was one. I don't k know who she is, but she has a lot of knowledge but seemed to be pro SC the entire time, even evoking 'we; when referencing SC.

For those of you who think audio is the 'holy grail', try listening to a game without the audio and see what you think...it sucks not to hear the crowd but not so much this year,.....

Not being influenced by the commentary makes you pay closer attention and even notice things they don't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've been saying this all year.

She is a player that is not fundamentally sound and you will have to deal with mental lapses but hope her amazing skill and athleticism will put you on the plus side of the ledger....

Reaction Score
They were all BS. I can only watch on replay as I reside in England, but I replayed them again and again...complete and utter BS!!!!
Very glad to hear that the poor officiating was also evident internationally. When you put that together with the horrible announcers it was some night. I actually just watched a Fox highlight film of the game. There is not a single instance where the announcers are actually talking about what is happening in the game while it is happening. I guess they felt that the game wasn't good enough for us fans, but they needed to supplement the very dull and uninteresting action in it with their own moronic droning. I think we are very lucky they talked so much, otherwise we would have dozed off!

Reaction Score
Someone a long part of this thread ago raised a follow up question to Aubrey's illegal screen call because it was too wide as sarcastically noted by Geno in his presser. Rule 4-34 provides that your screen stance cannot be wider than your shoulders. I have never seen that called before and it was typical of these referees in a big game who call the little technical garbage to prove they are so good at their jobs but miss the big plays like fouls on shots. If we enforced that rule, there would be nothing more than those calls. To selectively enforce it is unfair. How do you visually measure it? Like the refs in the Arkansas game, these were just plain terrible.
I thought it was complete BS and was furious at the time, but if that is the rule, then that is a foul. Complain about the rule, but you can't complain about those who enforce the rules.

Reaction Score
The one thing I'm gonna let slip out about the refs is that the former NBA official was in no way a friendly whistle for UConn. Except maybe for not blowing it late in regulation.
There are only three people in the gym who don't care who wins.....................the referees.

Reaction Score
Paige would not have had to show off her heroics in OT if Uconn had bothered to pressure the inbound with 2 secs left in the first half.

Reaction Score
I almost always turn off the audio when I watch a game for many reasons, not all bad. Mostly, I don't want to be influenced by the announcers.

Lately, I've watched a game or two with the announcers and this was one. I don't k know who she is, but she has a lot of knowledge but seemed to be pro SC the entire team, even evoking 'we; when referencing SC.

For those of you who think audio is the 'holy grail', try listening to a game without the audio and see what you think...it sucks not to hear the crowd but not so much this year,.....

Not being influenced by the commentary makes you pay closer attention and even notice things they don't.

Because the game was so exciting - I wasn't mad with her- just so comical what she was doing. And I felt the bias blatant.

I mean if FS1 is going to use her again for something like this. Heck let's just bring back Johnny Most and cut the charade.

Bottomline is - just to watch games I can take listening to Johnny Most. - No problem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom