SBT: Overlooked? No. 3 Irish believe so | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SBT: Overlooked? No. 3 Irish believe so

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
At least one Irish player thinks so. I know players and teams are always looking for chips to place on their shoulders but I don't know how being ranked preseason #3 and picked to win the ACC (again) equates to being overlooked. Seems a bit of a stretch.

“I don’t think we’ve been taken seriously ever. It’s just another year that we have to prove to everyone that we have a great team.” – Notre Dame’s Michaela Mabrey, a 5-10 junior guard and one of three tri-captains (along with senior guard Whitney Holloway and senior forward Markisha Wright).

The more interesting quote is MM saying ND will be post-oriented which is not too surprising given the loss of McBride and the addition of Turner: “I think this is the first time in a long time we are going to be a post-oriented team,” McGraw noted. “We’ve really got some great post players and depth, more than we’ve ever had.”

http://www.southbendtribune.com/

I think Mabrey does have a valid point that people don't take Notre Dame seriously enough in the preseason. In 2012-13, Notre Dame was preseason #6/7 and went on to go 35-2, losing only to Baylor and Connecticut. The next year, they are preseason #6/7 again and go undefeated into the title game. Notre Dame was light years better than every team in the nation last year sans UCONN, but even with Loyd/Mabrey/Allen and a great recruiting class coming in, voters still think a team like South Carolina (a team with no quality wins last year besides 2 victories over Kentucky) is going to be better than Notre Dame. If I'm ND, that would tick me off and provide motivation to prove doubters wrong.

In regards to the post oriented comment, I think if Reimer has made big improvements and Turner is as good as advertised, Notre Dame could be a similar squad to their 2001 title team. They'll have a great point guard running the show (although I don't see Allen being as good as Ivey was in 2001), a dead eye shooter (Ratay/Mabrey), a good inside/out player (Haney/Loyd...but Loyd is far and away better than Haney), a strong complimentary post player (Siemon/Reimer) and a dominant post (Riley/Turner, but I can't see Turner being close to the player Riley was as a senior.) The emergence of Reimer/Turner could give Notre Dame a post presence they haven't seen since Riley. Very different from the 1 post presence offense they've had the last several years.

Reaction Score
Without sounding like a homer, I believe UCONN should be ranked the preseason 1 and you could flip a coin on the 2/3 between SC and ND. If ND wants "respect", which I assume means the No.1 ranking, the path is out there. Simply beat the team/teams ranked ahead of you and stop crying.

Bottom line, it will all shake out as the season unfolds, as usual.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think Mabrey does have a valid point that people don't take Notre Dame seriously enough in the preseason. In 2012-13, Notre Dame was preseason #6/7 and went on to go 35-2, losing only to Baylor and Connecticut. The next year, they are preseason #6/7 again and go undefeated into the title game. Notre Dame was light years better than every team in the nation last year sans UCONN, but even with Loyd/Mabrey/Allen and a great recruiting class coming in, voters still think a team like South Carolina (a team with no quality wins last year besides 2 victories over Kentucky) is going to be better than Notre Dame. If I'm ND, that would tick me off and provide motivation to prove doubters wrong.

In regards to the post oriented comment, I think if Reimer has made big improvements and Turner is as good as advertised, Notre Dame could be a similar squad to their 2001 title team. They'll have a great point guard running the show (although I don't see Allen being as good as Ivey was in 2001), a dead eye shooter (Ratay/Mabrey), a good inside/out player (Haney/Loyd...but Loyd is far and away better than Haney), a strong complimentary post player (Siemon/Reimer) and a dominant post (Riley/Turner, but I can't see Turner being close to the player Riley was as a senior.) The emergence of Reimer/Turner could give Notre Dame a post presence they haven't seen since Riley. Very different from the 1 post presence offense they've had the last several years.

Sorry, but quibbling over a preseason #3 v #2 ranking while also being picked to win the self-annointed best conference in the country is greatly overplaying the disrespect card.

I agree, however, that ND was overlooked or underrated before last season even though they lost Diggins as McBride, Loyd and Achonwa were a great returning group. I don't necessarily agree that ND was underrated before the '12-13 season given how much talent graduated the year before (Peters, Novosel, Mallory) and no one knew for sure a) how much McBride would improve and b) how good Loyd would be as a freshman.

I think Muffet clarified her post-oriented comment on the dishin' interview. She said that her team should be able to get more offensive production from the post this season as compared to previous seasons and that sounds about right.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Far be it for me to agree with a Tenn poster, but I tried making this point with several SC fans in a highly feisty thread when I called SC "grossly overrated" last year. I amended my comment to "merely overrated" but my point was, as you said, not only did they have no quality wins, they won a bunch of games against extremely average competition (Hofstra anyone?) by single digits.

They beat the 16 seed in round one by 15. The 8 seed in round 2 by 11 and lost to UNC in the sweet 16. How is that not a team who was over rated, especially one who got a 1 seed?

Sure they bring everyone back, but until they beat Tennessee, Notre Dame, UCONN, or ANY other top 10 team, I'm not sold on them at all.

Reaction Score
nd may be over-ranked but definitely not under-ranked. Just based on returning players, how can they be ranked higher than SC? nd lost their best player (McBride) and do not have anyone close to her level of talent and hustle. Dominant inside, based on what? Only if the freshman assimilates quickly and the sophomore has improved drastically. Those Tri-captains were not much of factor in the NC. But what it comes down to is that after #1(UCONN) the rest of the field is just a muddle.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I might take them seriously if they did not fall down on the court all the time. If you rewatch last years final the Notre Dame players would just fall down on the court and were not hit or anything. If I am not mistake Mabrey is the one who fell on his butt... and just sat there looking for a foul and there was noone around here...
Twice- they spend more time with their hands up, arms spread wide, staring at the official- while we are flying down the other end on a fast break. She is a soft player. She could not play for Uconn- very little heart. ND has and have had some great players, she's not one of them.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Twice- they spend more time with their hands up, arms spread wide, staring at the official- while we are flying down the other end on a fast break. She is a soft player. She could not play for Uconn- very little heart. ND has and have had some great players, she's not one of them.

Could not disagree more. Mabrey is a terrific shooter as UConn found out a couple of years ago in a loss at Gampel. She may not be a great player but she's a very good player and saying she has no heart is unwarranted.

Reaction Score
Could not disagree more. Mabrey is a terrific shooter as UConn found out a couple of years ago in a loss at Gampel. She may not be a great player but she's a very good player and saying she has no heart is unwarranted.
but she is a flopper!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

She must be good -- Geno recruited her. And she has both heart and a good perimeter game.

I recall that game a couple years ago, when she came off the bench and nailed several treys (her specialty, like Ratay years ago).

Her sister (Marina?) is now at ND so UConn must deal with two Mabreys in December.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
nd lost their best player (McBride) and do not have anyone close to her level of talent and hustle.

It runs contrary to Muffet's party line but...I think Jewell Loyd was ND's best player last year.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She must be good -- Geno recruited her. And she has both heart and a good perimeter game.

I recall that game a couple years ago, when she came off the bench and nailed several treys (her specialty, like Ratay years ago).

Her sister (Marina?) is now at ND so UConn must deal with two Mabreys in December.

Not this Decemeber. Marina is still a senior in high school.

Oh, and I always thought the thing was that Geno recruited (Michaela) Mabrey but never offered her? I remember reading that she was set on UConn but UConn never pulled the trigger. Is that right?

Reaction Score
It runs contrary to Muffet's party line but...I think Jewell Loyd was ND's best player last year.
Certainly not when it mattered most (in the NC). Loyd was not much of a factor, but McBride played her butt off.

Reaction Score
Not this Decemeber. Marina is still a senior in high school.

Oh, and I always thought the thing was that Geno recruited (Michaela) Mabrey but never offered her? I remember reading that she was set on UConn but UConn never pulled the trigger. Is that right?
As I recall she made a campus visit but went home without an offer from UCONN.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Certainly not when it mattered most (in the NC). Loyd was not much of a factor, but McBride played her butt off.

Fair, McBride is more of gamer. Loyd is more consistent.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
funny because it seems they always seem to have a #2 ranking and waltz into the final game, where they lose handily. Or it just appears that way!

Reaction Score
I don't think ND suffers from a lack of respect..... but i understand how they have to have something to rally them.....

UConn always gets a lot of press ..... and i know that bothers ND greatly, but hey, we deserve it!!!

Reaction Score
I don't think ND suffers from a lack of respect..... but i understand how they have to have something to rally them.....

UConn always gets a lot of press ..... and i know that bothers ND greatly, but hey, we deserve it!!!

Until ND beats UCONN in the National Championship Game they will be no better then #2!

Reaction Score
OK, look, we all hate ND, or most of us do, but just go for a second with the hypothesis that without seeing just how this season plays out on a game-by-game basis, you were told today that ND and SC would face off in a national semi-final, and, knowing only what you know today, you had to make a serious wager. C'mon, honestly now, are there any of you who would really bet against ND?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Heck I pick ND number 2 behind UConn. SC has not proven they are number 2 and until they beat the top teams in the SEC and play a very competitive out of conference schedule I go with ND. Its UConn and ND again until another team steps up. This season SC plays @ Duke and @ UConn OOC.

Reaction Score
Heck I pick ND number 2 behind UConn. SC has not proven they are number 2 and until they beat the top teams in the SEC and play a very competitive out of conference schedule I go with ND. Its UConn and ND again until another team steps up. This season SC plays @ Duke and @ UConn OOC.

That is right! Have always said that teams and players must prove themselves...... Wilson has much promise..... but we do not know how she will adjust to college game.... many overall #1 players have "underwhelmed" before

Reaction Score
No way, not even close.
Gee, Meyers, I tend to like and respect your posts a lot, and I know that by even asking the question I'm about to ask I'm speaking treason in the eyes of many Husky fans, but here goes: Isn't this loathing for UT getting a bit outdated? They haven't been serious competition for us in years (hope they will be again...good for the game), Pat's gone, Holly seems pretty agreeable...it's just a different era and a different reality. Hating Notre Dame is, quite justifiably, a perennial thing...their arrogance always earns our disdain. But the new era at Tenn? I dunno...even with all the baggage from the past, with Pat gone (her infirmity even takes all the fun out of hating her!) it just strikes me as another quality opponent these days without any special distinction anymore as a legitimate target for our most venomous impulses. But that's just me.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Gee, Meyers, I tend to like and respect your posts a lot, and I know that by even asking the question I'm about to ask I'm speaking treason in the eyes of many Husky fans, but here goes: Isn't this loathing for UT getting a bit outdated? They haven't been serious competition for us in years (hope they will be again...good for the game), Pat's gone, Holly seems pretty agreeable...it's just a different era and a different reality. Hating Notre Dame is, quite justifiably, a perennial thing...their arrogance always earns our disdain. But the new era at Tenn? I dunno...even with all the baggage from the past, with Pat gone (her infirmity even takes all the fun out of hating her!) it just strikes me as another quality opponent these days without any special distinction anymore as a legitimate target for our most venomous impulses. But that's just me.

Agree with you completely.

Well, almost.

What lingers with Tennessee is the vile and disgusting theme of many posters on the Summitt and VolNation. Bad enough that these frequent posts (with a recurring vituperative theme) are permitted by the moderators, the inescapable conclusion is that the moderators go beyond tolerance of this crap and actually encourage it.

By contrast, the worst we get from Notre Dame is an occasional injudicious comment by the coach or her players and one recent inconsiderate act by the same coach. On balance, we may chalk these flaws up as manifestations of envy or frustration.

That mean-spirited element at UT is both despicable and out of control. So we despise them.

Reaction Score

The team that doesn't get the respect it is due is UConn. I realize that sounds preposterous given that we're continually ranked #1 in the preseason, during the season, and in the post season. How much respect can we be due for crying out loud? The answer is more. However much we get, more is deserved. Don't get me wrong. I don't think respect is being withheld maliciously but out of ignorance. At the moment, nobody knows how much respect we're due. Uconn is in the midst of accomplishing the unimaginable. It will be years before the degree of what Geno and team has done can be understood, appreciated, and placed into perspective. Where do the comparisons truly lie? The Soviet Ice Hockey team? America's America's Cup boats? The Harlem Globetrotters (had the contests been actual competitions)?

We're appreciated. We're respected. Just not as much as we should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom