SBT: Overlooked? No. 3 Irish believe so | Page 3 | The Boneyard

SBT: Overlooked? No. 3 Irish believe so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OK, look, we all hate ND, or most of us do, but just go for a second with the hypothesis that without seeing just how this season plays out on a game-by-game basis, you were told today that ND and SC would face off in a national semi-final, and, knowing only what you know today, you had to make a serious wager. C'mon, honestly now, are there any of you who would really bet against ND?

I would.

Reaction Score
Agree with you completely.

Well, almost.

What lingers with Tennessee is the vile and disgusting theme of many posters on the Summitt and VolNation. Bad enough that these frequent posts (with a recurring vituperative theme) are permitted by the moderators, the inescapable conclusion is that the moderators go beyond tolerance of this crap and actually encourage it.

By contrast, the worst we get from Notre Dame is an occasional injudicious comment by the coach or her players and one recent inconsiderate act by the same coach. On balance, we may chalk these flaws up as manifestations of envy or frustration.

That mean-spirited element at UT is both despicable and out of control. So we despise them.
Yeah but nothing could irritate them more than UCONN fans dismissing them as irrelevant, which they basically have become. Despising them gives them too much credit.

Reaction Score
OK, look, we all hate ND, or most of us do, but just go for a second with the hypothesis that without seeing just how this season plays out on a game-by-game basis, you were told today that ND and SC would face off in a national semi-final, and, knowing only what you know today, you had to make a serious wager. C'mon, honestly now, are there any of you who would really bet against ND?
I think ND would have the better chance to win, but I wouldn't bet on them because then I'd be rooting against my own bet :D

Reaction Score
We keep chewing the same cabbage with ND. My description for their ailment is 'Institutional Insecurity' It so deeply ingrained and felt that they simply have lost all clear perspective on their actual status and relevance. As a result they aleays appear bitter win or lose, and being a sore winner is most unattractive.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Gee, Meyers, I tend to like and respect your posts a lot,
Well I can't help you there. Sounds like a problem to me.

and I know that by even asking the question I'm about to ask I'm speaking treason in the eyes of many Husky fans,
It's close. At the very least I'm questioning your fanditude.

Isn't this loathing for UT getting a bit outdated? They haven't been serious competition for us in years (hope they will be again...good for the game), Pat's gone, Holly seems pretty agreeable...it's just a different era and a different reality. Hating Notre Dame is, quite justifiably, a perennial thing...their arrogance always earns our disdain. But the new era at Tenn? I dunno...even with all the baggage from the past, with Pat gone (her infirmity even takes all the fun out of hating her!) it just strikes me as another quality opponent these days without any special distinction anymore as a legitimate target for our most venomous impulses. But that's just me.
Outdated? I loathing Hitler outdated? Is loathing Beelzebub outdated? Is loathing the Yankees outdated? I think not!

There is still great joy in their misery. Maybe, maybe when they have fallen out of the top 25, and haven't been invited to the NCAA's in years, and haven't won SEC game in years, then maybe, but only maybe.

Hating ND as an institution more than TN, sure I can see that. But from a WBB perspective? no, No, NOOOO!!!!!!! :mad:

But that's just me. :cool:

Reaction Score
The team that doesn't get the respect it is due is UConn. I realize that sounds preposterous given that we're continually ranked #1 in the preseason, during the season, and in the post season. How much respect can we be due for crying out loud? The answer is more. However much we get, more is deserved. Don't get me wrong. I don't think respect is being withheld maliciously but out of ignorance. At the moment, nobody knows how much respect we're due. Uconn is in the midst of accomplishing the unimaginable. It will be years before the degree of what Geno and team has done can be understood, appreciated, and placed into perspective. Where do the comparisons truly lie? The Soviet Ice Hockey team? America's America's Cup boats? The Harlem Globetrotters (had the contests been actual competitions)?

We're appreciated. We're respected. Just not as much as we should be.

Uconn is beyond reproach, because Geno, CD, and staff have gradually raised the bar so high, it will be generations before their records are surpassed as far as GA and CD are concerned. I am a national-flag-blue-blood bleeder...... and I love all the adulation, but I made this comment on the basis of listening to announcing on UConn games. Do we deserve to be fawned over, absolutely!!! But - and I will use the national final Notre Dame game as an example - there were many more stories, comments, and laudits on UConn than there ever were for ND..... how many times did they mention Stewie's 71" wingspan..... not playing devil's advocate in any way, because I love the attention brought to our program, and I do not want less kudos for us, but just want respectable amount of fair commentary for our competitors

Reaction Score
Uconn is beyond reproach, because Geno, CD, and staff have gradually raised the bar so high, it will be generations before their records are surpassed as far as GA and CD are concerned. I am a national-flag-blue-blood bleeder. and I love all the adulation, but I made this comment on the basis of listening to announcing on UConn games. Do we deserve to be fawned over, absolutely!!! But - and I will use the national final Notre Dame game as an example - there were many more stories, comments, and laudits on UConn than there ever were for ND..... how many times did they mention Stewie's 71" wingspan..... not playing devil's advocate in any way, because I love the attention brought to our program, and I do not want less kudos for us, but just want respectable amount of fair commentary for our competitors
Stewart is the best college women's basketball player and has been for a long while, possibly even the best of all time. Sure, they would really talk her up because she's at least a once in a generation talent. If the best men's basketball player ever, Michael Jordan were playing in that game, I'm inclined to think you'd hear nothing but Michael stories the entire game. In fact, wasn't that often the case when he was in the NBA playoffs, where all you heard was Michael stories???? If Breanna played for Notre Dame instead, you would have probably heard the same amount of raves. In years past, wasn't there a massive amount of notoriety given Griner during the NCAA's, where she would be talked about incessantly throughout any game she appeared in??? It's a totally natural thing and is based on the level of talent and dominance that a player brings forth.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Could not disagree more. Mabrey is a terrific shooter as UConn found out a couple of years ago in a loss at Gampel. She may not be a great player but she's a very good player and saying she has no heart is unwarranted.
I think she plays with an attitude of entitlement- and as good of a 3 pt shooter that she is, I don't think she could ever be an important bench player on UConn. I don't think she has whatever Novasel, Mallory, Diggins & McBride had- I'm not just talking about talent- she's a winer and I think she plays soft. Maybe soft was a better word than heart. She is probably a great young lady. The point is, I don't think last year ND had a chance to beat us with her as a key player. ND was a much much better team when she hit those 3's in Gampel. I remember, I was there also.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Heck I pick ND number 2 behind UConn. SC has not proven they are number 2 and until they beat the top teams in the SEC and play a very competitive out of conference schedule I go with ND. Its UConn and ND again until another team steps up. This season SC plays @ Duke and @ UConn OOC.
Tony- everything you said is correct, but if Dawn Staley can't beat or at least go down to the wire with the quality of talent, and veteran talent coming back on this team- I will be shocked. ND is loaded with young talent- I can't wait to watch!

Reaction Score
Gee, Meyers, I tend to like and respect your posts a lot, and I know that by even asking the question I'm about to ask I'm speaking treason in the eyes of many Husky fans, but here goes: Isn't this loathing for UT getting a bit outdated? They haven't been serious competition for us in years (hope they will be again...good for the game), Pat's gone, Holly seems pretty agreeable...it's just a different era and a different reality. Hating Notre Dame is, quite justifiably, a perennial thing...their arrogance always earns our disdain. But the new era at Tenn? I dunno...even with all the baggage from the past, with Pat gone (her infirmity even takes all the fun out of hating her!) it just strikes me as another quality opponent these days without any special distinction anymore as a legitimate target for our most venomous impulses. But that's just me.
Tennessee tried to kill one of our sports programs because they were so scared of being knocked off the (rocky) top. That kind of BS shall never be forgiven. As if we don't have enough to worry about with the NCAA trying to kill UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
Yes hoopsfan21, bingo...... they tried to bury us, obliterate us..... with charges which never were substantiated...... that is bad enough, and then they cannot show remorse for trying to eradicate our program.

I like the UT folks here on this forum, they add a different flavor to the board and are not, i think, over the top folks like the folks on the Summit..... but of course, the feelings caused by UT's takedown of us in 07 will never ever go away

Reaction Score

Outdated? I loathing Hitler outdated? Is loathing Beelzebub outdated? Is loathing the Yankees outdated? I think not!

There is still great joy in their misery. Maybe, maybe when they have fallen out of the top 25, and haven't been invited to the NCAA's in years, and haven't won SEC game in years, then maybe, but only maybe.

Hating ND as an institution more than TN, sure I can see that. But from a WBB perspective? no, No, NOOOO!!!!!!! :mad:

I ca see most of what you are saying, but you got one thing wrong. You need to substitute the suck sox in where you wrote Yankees!

Reaction Score

OK, OK, my friend, it's your life. Have at it. I understand where you're coming from, but I just don't think UT or its women's basketball program are any longer worthy of such prolonged and focused vituperation.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't...SC has great talent, but they weren't closers last year. Even with Asia coming in, they are going to have to prove they can win some big games in single elimination tournaments. ND has proven that to my satisfaction.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
OK, OK, my friend, it's your life. Have at it. I understand where you're coming from, but I just don't think UT or its women's basketball program are any longer worthy of such prolonged and focused vituperation.
That's one way to approach it, disdain is a cool way (kinda passive aggressive), but I still like loathing better. :D Allows the hatred to breath more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom