Saylor Poffenbarger in Transfer Portal [merged thread] | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Saylor Poffenbarger in Transfer Portal [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When you are really, really good you don’t want to play five minutes a game just because the team has really, really, really good players. If you play for the love of the sport, you want to be on the court as much as possible. When I see two or three schools consistently sign the top five, ten recruits I have to wonder if kids always make the right choice. Playing time would be more important to me than riding the bench just to get a ring.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When you are really, really good you don’t want to play five minutes a game just because the team has really, really, really good players. If you play for the love of the sport, you want to be on the court as much as possible. When I see two or three schools consistently sign the top five, ten recruits I have to wonder if kids always make the right choice. Playing time would be more important to me than riding the bench just to get a ring.
Among the top 25 teams in WCBB, UCONN is perhaps the only school for which a healthy Saylor would not start and or play significant minutes. Injuries more than anything else have a way of robbing you of your confidence and I suspect this might have been the root cause here. Best of luck Saylor- get healthy first, many great things are still possible for you after.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Sorry, but that argument is ridiculous. In minor league baseball, there are players who signed for five million dollars alongside teammates who signed for one thousand dollars. I have never heard a word about resentment, in print or otherwise. Pitchers don’t throw at someone’s head because they make a lot more money.
Not MY argument but I'm not sold on its' ridiculousness. We'll see how NIL plays over the next few years. I'm quite sure it will significantly change the landscape. FYI, I've read plenty of stories about bonus-baby resentment in the minor leagues.

Reaction Score
Agreed, but is a necessary evil. 10-12 players are always needed for productive practices. To use the minor league baseball analogy again, 3-5 players on a 30-man roster are going to play in the Show, but one can’t play games without the other 25 org players.

Reaction Score
Not MY argument but I'm not sold on its' ridiculousness. We'll see how NIL plays over the next few years. I'm quite sure it will significantly change the landscape. FYI, I've read plenty of stories about bonus-baby resentment in the minor leagues.
Have you read any story about it affecting play? I haven’t and I’ve followed minor league baseball closely for a long time. I never insinuated there wasn’t resentment.

Reaction Score
Have you read any story about it affecting play? I haven’t and I’ve followed minor league baseball closely for a long time. I never insinuated there wasn’t resentment.
Ever watched a movie called, Bull Durham? Of course you have.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I have never heard a word about resentment, in print or otherwise.

My bad...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I feel bad for Saylor. Not sure if she knew her mom was going to make that kind of quote. Of course between here and twitter, Saylor will now be receiving the black lash for it. As an adult I think her mom should have said nothing or made a gracious statement and moved on. Not going to bash Saylor for it, because she didn’t say it so I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt.

UConn isn’t for everyone and I’m glad she realized that sooner than later. Her minutes she would have gotten this year can go to developing a different player that wants to be here and improve.

Man... if a bunch of adults are gonna give backlash to a 18 year old kid for transferring, then they are a sad sad bunch indeed.

Reaction Score
Ever watched a movie called, Bull Durham? Of course you have.
You think that movie is an accurate representation of minor league baseball?? I was talking real life, not fiction. No minor league catcher would ever tip off pitches to the opposition; a sure fire way to become unemployed. Why do I even have to respond?

Reaction Score
You think that movie is an accurate representation of minor league baseball?? I was talking real life, not fiction. No minor league catcher would ever tip off pitches to the opposition; a sure fire way to become unemployed. Why do I even have to respond?
Because it's a good depiction of the stuff you guys are talking about. Why are you getting into the crazy details of the movie.
I'm talking about the pecking order or hierarchy stuff you guys are alluding to. Crash Davis, the long time minor leaguer who got his chance in "the show". He probably 99% knows he's not going to get another shot. He likes the lifestyle. He accepts the role of "mentor" to the hot shot pitcher with quirks. Maybe the bonus baby you guys are talking about. Does Crash Davis resent him? Hell yes he does.
If you didn't watch the movie, run to the Barnes and Noble and pick up the cliff notes. (just kidding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom