Saylor is coming!!! | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Saylor is coming!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sort of, but I suspect it’ll be difficult for her do you understand her role in the defense, but maintaining spacing and shooting when the ball comes to her is something that she can do.
My point was that Geno won’t give Saylor PT if all she does is shoot the ball. She will have to display some reasonable competence on D and provide some help on the boards.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sort of, but I suspect it’ll be difficult for her do you understand her role in the defense, but maintaining spacing and shooting when the ball comes to her is something that she can do.

Geno will not use her in any meaningful way unless she has a general knowledge and understanding of what the team is trying to do and what she should be doing on offense and defense. Doing otherwise hurts her development and the look of the team. Lets be patient until she is ready

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
When Poffenbarger drives up to Storrs, Connecticut, along with Amy and her father, Bill, on Saturday, she’ll soon enter a world that will have that structure. She’ll take 12 credits of college courses, with all of her education being administered online. And after she quarantines in Storrs for 10 days, she’ll be allowed to participate in practices and games with the Huskies.

Saylor made the right choice in coming to UConn early. The winter sports season has been delayed (again) in Frederick County. Was supposed to start today.

Reaction Score
My point was that Geno won’t give Saylor PT if all she does is shoot the ball. She will have to display some reasonable competence on D and provide some help on the boards.
Really .....Kls her freshman year

Reaction Score
Really .....Kls her freshman year
KLS had Stewie, Mo, and Tuck to take care of business so all she had to do was hang around the 3 pt line. This team does not have the three of them so all 5 positions have to play all around good bball.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

Geno will not use her in any meaningful way unless she has a general knowledge and understanding of what the team is trying to do and what she should be doing on offense and defense. Doing otherwise hurts her development and the look of the team. Lets be patient until she is ready
Remember two years ago when Geno said to Christyn before the ND game "just go and shoot the ball don't worry about anything else" and she went off for 28 points? Afterwards reporters were commenting how great it was that she stepped up and Geno said "I told her to go and shoot the ball. What kid wouldn't want to do that?" That is how I envision he would use Saylor. He will undoubtedly develop her complete game over time, but that is tough to do in the middle of the season. I suspect she'll be the team's Vinnie (The Microwave) Johnson (or John Gwynn or Rashaad Anderson, if you prefer a more UConn analogy). Her job will be come off the bench and score. Her minutes will be based on how long it takes the other team to figure out how exploit her defensively.

JMHO, we will see soon enough.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Gabby 591 minutes 15.6 min/game
Kiah 715 minutes 18.3 min/game
Freshman Gabby 591 minutes 15.6 min/game PPG 8.3, RPG 5.7, FG% 63.7
Senior Kiah 715 minutes 18.3 min/game PPG 4.5 RPG 6.8 FG% 57.9
Stokes was a shot blocking machine that season 147 blocks but gabby more than made up for that with steals and assists

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Remember two years ago when Geno said to Christyn before the ND game "just go and shoot the ball don't worry about anything else" and she went off for 28 points? Afterwards reporters were commenting how great it was that she stepped up and Geno said "I told her to go and shoot the ball. What kid wouldn't want to do that?" That is how I envision he would use Saylor. He will undoubtedly develop her complete game over time, but that is tough to do in the middle of the season. I suspect she'll be the team's Vinnie (The Microwave) Johnson (or John Gwynn or Rashaad Anderson, if you prefer a more UConn analogy). Her job will be come off the bench and score. Her minutes will be based on how long it takes the other team to figure out how exploit her defensively.

I don't envision this somewhat limited role for Saylor. First of all Christyn took the floor with two AA Napheesa and KLS and a very good PG in Crystal. Geno instructions to Christyn had as much to do with not being in awe and differing to those AA. On this squad Saylor is not going to be in awe or differing to anyone (may Paige). We desperately need deep shooting but if Saylor gets put in the game it will not be to display a single skill. She will shoot, defend, rebound at a high level and folks will be pleasantly surprised at her ability to pass the ball.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't envision this somewhat limited role for Saylor. First of all Christyn took the floor with two AA Napheesa and KLS and a very good PG in Crystal. Geno instructions to Christyn had as much to do with not being in awe and differing to those AA. On this squad Saylor is not going to be in awe or differing to anyone (may Paige). We desperately need deep shooting but if Saylor gets put in the game it will not be to display a single skill. She will shoot, defend, rebound at a high level and folks will be pleasantly surprised at her ability to pass the ball.
Maybe, but I doubt she will read and react the way the rest of the team has been trained to do. Connecticut is a very difficult team to just walk on to mid-season.

We'll see soon enough (DePaul game.)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
On the Butler pregame presser, Geno addressed Saylor's situation (and I think he said she arrived Sat, which we all know she did arrive Sat per her instagram-sorry @j66kicker ) and he said he has no idea on what kind of shape Saylor is in and as he cannot have any physical interaction with her for the 10 days, he simply won't know until she can practice with the team. So I would say any thoughts on her contribution this year is complete and utter speculation based on a ouija board. She may not see anytime or she may see some time. We will have to wait until she can attend practice and interact with the other players. Geno did say the 10 quarantine "is what it is" with dubious intentions as she did have to exhibit a negative test and given all the daily testing the team has to do...but whatever he added. I kind of agree given the scrutiny.

This board is not good on patience but that is exactly what we need to exhibit here. All the other player comparisons between players NOT NAMED Saylor have been utterly annoying and petty. Why those involved can't see that is frustrating to those of us who want read about the thread as titled.

Humbly suggested and submitted-DefenseBB. :oops:

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I'm looking at Sailor's early arrival of 6-8 months as nothing but "Bonus" time for SAYLOR.

Freshman are freshman. Sailor is going to be labeled a freshman, but, really, she isn't a freshman. Perhaps the youngest/only pre-freshman ever to suit up for Geno?

Her participation in practice the rest of this year will make her the first freshman I expect to come out of the gates knowing what to do. Next year.

This year I have no expectations. Which to me is the only way to treat Saylor fairly.

For many of us here on the BY 6-8 month is a nap. For teenagers 6-8months is a life time.

I have all I can handle watching all the real freshman learn to play the game how Geno and Co are teaching it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno said she got to Storrs on Sunday, so I’m guessing it’s not Day 3 :D:D
The family was scheduled to drive up on Saturday. I don't know if they did or not. But I was thinking: 1. Sat, 2. Sun., 3. Mon. as a possible scenario.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
i am impressedLou was never a one dimensional player, even as a freshman. She averaged 11ppg, 3.4 rebounds per game. Lou also totaled 82 assists, 38 steals and 6 blocks. If Saylor does half as well as Lou she’ll earn some PT.
oldude, you seem to have the National Library of UCONN at your disposal, never at a loss for past info. I am impressed, you and a few others can be historians.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
oldude, you seem to have the National Library of UCONN at your disposal, never at a loss for past info. I am impressed, you and a few others can be historians.
I can’t remember what I had for breakfast this morning. Fortunately, all the stats are readily available on UConn’s website.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

The 6th man on that team was Liv. There was precious little depth, so Geno had to play Christyn. Not the case this year. Can’t see Saylor playing a lot if all she does is knock down an occasional 3, vs Aubrey or Aaliyah who contribute so much more at both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
Google

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
The 6th man on that team was Liv. There was precious little depth, so Geno had to play Christyn. Not the case this year. Can’t see Saylor playing a lot if all she does is knock down an occasional 3, vs Aubrey or Aaliyah who contribute so much more at both ends of the court.
A lot of posters are emphasizing Saylor's 3 point skill but she is much more than just a shooter. She averaged 21.2 points, 12.7 rebounds and 5.7 assists last year in HS. She showed similar abilities coming off the bench for the USA team. Saylor can easily be plugged in at the 2, 3, and 4 positions and she is a willing defender who has a knack for jumping passing lanes. Geno has praised her versatility and the posters that have seen her play in person have verified her complete game skills.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
On the Butler pregame presser, Geno addressed Saylor's situation (and I think he said she arrived Sat, which we all know she did arrive Sat per her instagram-sorry @j66kicker ) and he said he has no idea on what kind of shape Saylor is in and as he cannot have any physical interaction with her for the 10 days, he simply won't know until she can practice with the team. So I would say any thoughts on her contribution this year is complete and utter speculation based on a ouija board. She may not see anytime or she may see some time. We will have to wait until she can attend practice and interact with the other players. Geno did say the 10 quarantine "is what it is" with dubious intentions as she did have to exhibit a negative test and given all the daily testing the team has to do...but whatever he added. I kind of agree given the scrutiny.

This board is not good on patience but that is exactly what we need to exhibit here. All the other player comparisons between players NOT NAMED Saylor have been utterly annoying and petty. Why those involved can't see that is frustrating to those of us who want read about the thread as titled.

Humbly suggested and submitted-DefenseBB. :oops:
:eek:When I speculate I try not to use a ouija board it just get in the way and gives me too munch unnecessary information and I'm still not sure how to read my current board. 99.9% of the post on this board are speculation. I don't find the player comparisons to be annoying or petty at all. Many of the player comparisons have been requested by posters to inform their speculation, expectations and opinions. For example a few posters have actually seen Saylor play-that is very useful information.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A lot of posters are emphasizing Saylor's 3 point skill but she is much more than just a shooter. She averaged 21.2 points, 12.7 rebounds and 5.7 assists last year in HS. She showed similar abilities coming off the bench for the USA team. Saylor can easily be plugged in at the 2, 3, and 4 positions and she is a willing defender who has a knack for jumping passing lanes. Geno has praised her versatility and the posters that have seen her play in person have verified her complete game skills.
Preach GIF

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes I agree. But that was in HS, and Saylor has not played organized ball for some time. If she can step into college ball at UConn mid-season and earn PT, that would be fantastic. But we should all be realistic about the challenge that entails.

Reaction Score
I completely agree. I think once she gets up to speed and if she grasps the offense quickly, she could be inserted as a sub at the 4 as a G/F who can hit the 3 to stretch the defense and give Liv or Aaliyah more space. This would also give the ability to have a bigger rotation with Chrystin and Anna as wings who can hit the outside shot. I separate Anna and Chrystin from Mir and Aubrey in that 3-4 position area based on their natural skill sets.

As an example, Chrystin could sub out, Anna move to her comfortable 3, and then Saylor come in at the 4 and you still can play that small ball Big East 1 in and 4 out offense/defense since the conference is guard heavy.

CL82

Reaction Score
I guess, although I can definitely see her playing if she can be counted on to come in and knock down open threes. People have built NBA careers based on that.

Reaction Score
I completely agree. I think once she gets up to speed and if she grasps the offense quickly, she could be inserted as a sub at the 4 as a G/F who can hit the 3 to stretch the defense and give Liv or Aaliyah more space. This would also give the ability to have a bigger rotation with Chrystin and Anna as wings who can hit the outside shot. I separate Anna and Chrystin from Mir and Aubrey in that 3-4 position area based on their natural skill sets.

As an example, Chrystin could sub out, Anna move to her comfortable 3, and then Saylor come in at the 4 and you still can play that small ball Big East 1 in and 4 out offense/defense since the conference is guard heavy.

So less minutes for Aubrey and Edwards now? They are only averaging 16 and 16.9 respectively. And Liv only getting 21.7. And now Saylor has "buried" Mir?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom