Perhaps the Hollow Men would be more appropriate

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Still think we're above storming the court. Especially with a team like Cincy we'd be expected to beat at Gampel in the recent past.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
In case anyone was wondering, the last time Connecticut held a lead over Cincinnati in Men's Basketball at any point in a game was on March 11th, 2016 in the 4th OT (UConn never led in the 3 meetings last year). Huskies are due a big game. A blowout wouldn't shock me, imo.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I think we’ll end up seeing a movie we’ve already seen several times this year.

source.gif

Reaction Score
In case anyone was wondering, the last time Connecticut held a lead over Cincinnati in Men's Basketball at any point in a game was on March 11th, 2016 in the 4th OT (UConn never led in the 3 meetings last year). Huskies are due a big game. A blowout wouldn't shock me, imo.

Are you planning on betting the limit with your book of choice on our Huskies? It sounds like from your post you may be contemplating putting down the Big Dime at least on the UConn M/L? It takes guts for you to be a chalk eater in this 1.

Whatever you do bro don't be a desperado ok? Just have fun with a double sawbuck. Try and keep fast company like myself before you make any mistakes. Remember a fish is born everyday. Even if you are not a sharp try and scalp this 1.

Good luck!

Reaction Score
1 of 3 games I'll be attending this year. Will be 3 rows off center court.

Hopefully we don't beat ourselves on this one, and show the youngins on the team what a LOUD Gampel feels like...

Reaction Score
I qualify with "of sorts" because it's one game and there are an assortment of other things that have to be considered regarding whether Ollie returns, and that's even before we get to the investigation that could render everything else that happens this season irrelevant.

But then again that's exactly the point. This could be it for the Kevin Ollie era at UConn. Maybe not officially, but for all intents and purposes. It'll be the last time this season the stands are full for a home game, the last time a big game is played on campus, and the last time we will have a chance to feel good about something until next season at the earliest. This is the pep rally game, the camp out game, the storm the court game, the give me the keys to the campus game...if they win. You have the students back for break with the #8 team in the country coming to town to play on a Saturday at noon. It's really the one place you've played well all season, the one place you feel comfortable, the last time people will pretend to be excited to hear your name called in intros.

Cincinnati is a lot better than us but they aren't Nova. They will be favored by, I don't know, 12 points, which is the equivalent of one point every three or four minutes. Hell, they may end up losing by 12 points. But what I want to know is are they actually going to give themselves a chance to lose the game, or have they already lost it? Because for these players, buried beneath all of these story lines is the harsh reality that this might be the last time people are going to really care about watching you play basketball. I mean sure, they'll always have people willing to pay to watch them play and most of them are probably good enough to play the sport for a living. But this could be the last time that they're the show, and if they have taken that for granted up until this point, now would be a good time to stop.

I try to avoid the super emotional, fan boy side to all of this, but I do think there is a time where you just need to see something. If that something is they have three players good enough to play with Cincy, then fine. I want to see those three players go at it that way. And if you're not good enough I want to see hope that you will be. If it's 6-5 at the first media timeout and then 12-10 and then 20-16 and eventually 60-54, OK. It still won't be good enough, but at least you'll have shown me something. I have more respect for the fighter who gets TKO'd in the 9th round than the one who loses by unanimous decision. The worst part about the last couple years is I haven't even felt pain at the end of these games because they just don't make you invest enough to feel like you've lost something. Give yourself the chance to feel pain. Play like you're guilty. Let yourself cry in the locker-room after the game because you finally realized you're just not good enough. Jalen Adams hasn't had any of those games at UConn. Neither has Terry Larrier.

I'm mostly at peace with the fact that this hasn't worked. I'm at peace with the fact that Ollie hasn't done his job and the players aren't built to do theirs. If 2014 ends up being the last great moment in the history of this program, so be it. I just don't want it to be the last moment. That would feel wrong. Give me something to remember good or bad. Give me a loss where I'm wincing the rest of the week because I wanted it for the guys on the team. UConn basketball is addicting. Right now I feel like I've willingly given up that addiction. If it goes, it goes, but that feeling is something that should be taken from me. Anything else feels wrong.
Im a simple man. I see a wall of text and i dont read. Im sure its a fine post though.

Reaction Score
I think the last last last last chance, I really mean it, was the last game. I guess this the last, last, last, last, last chance for real, and I really mean it game.

KO is a long time deadman walking at this point.

Reaction Score
What sections for this?

I believe sections 206-212 have chair backs

I think you can still get $15 tickets thru UConn. $22 after all fees

If it's your 1st time ever to gampel, go when it's going to be full and the team is good.

Not as fun when it's not sold out and rockin

Reaction Score
Excellent post.

There are a lot of things that line up for us that point that this could be the lone feel good moment of the season. We BY FAR play our best Basketball in Gampel. Vital BY FAR is a different player in Gampel. Larrier got to get one game under his belt before Cincinnati and didnt look utterly horrible doing it. So at least he is not coming back cold. Jalen has been in a semi funk the last couple, but usually doesnt do that for extended stretches. Anderson has stepped up above the putrid level line. And Carlton is so much better now.

Cincinnati is a much much much better team. But I think it's possible to steal one. Because this is the only one we could steal. Simply because of Gampel. We are horrible on the road.

Also. Cincinnati is not going to go undefeated this season. They will throw a clunker at some point. they are really good but not THAT good. Even with all our issues, we are still UConn it would not be shocking for anyone nationally to see UConn knock off Cincinnati on a 12 pm game in Gampel.

So I wouldnt be utterly shocked at a win .

But the difference between this team and even other mediocre UConn teams is that I wouldnt be shocked at a 35 point loss either. It absolutely is in play.

It would be nice to grab this one. It will mean NOTHING in the scheme of things concerning the state of this program. We are still screwed. It would just be a nice short term gift for some hardworking (if oft inept) players and some suffering fans.

I'm always amazed by how many people describe my posts as optimistic when it often feels like the opposite when I'm writing them. I'm sure you feel the same way to the same extent. I feel like if you asked people to give a percentage on our chances of winning, the answers would be relatively similar.

Agree that I wouldn't be shocked by a blowout.

Reaction Score
I'm always amazed by how many people describe my posts as optimistic when it often feels like the opposite when I'm writing them. I'm sure you feel the same way to the same extent. I feel like if you asked people to give a percentage on our chances of winning, the answers would be relatively similar.

Agree that I wouldn't be shocked by a blowout.

I would be surprised by a blowout tomorrow. IF that happens one more long nail in the coffin. Maybe it is just me listening to music right now while I hit a punching bag trying to get in my target heart rate.

I loved your post. :) Great stuff. I am so amped for the game. :)

Reaction Score
13 points sounds quite conservative but it is a home game.

Reaction Score
This game is going exactly how I feared it would and exactly how every big game in the Ollie era has seemed to go. They fall behind 10 early and then you never think they have a chance even as they start to play better.

I honestly think they play looser down 10-20 points more so than harder. Either way it doesn’t reflect positively on the coach when a team has to wait until they’re down double digits to play their best ball. Once again we’re playing what feels like a beatable team but yet down 11 at halftime, forget it.

Reaction Score
"Last stand" = no show and down 13-0 out of the gate. The end of the KO era epitomized.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom