Saturday feels like a last stand of sorts | The Boneyard

Saturday feels like a last stand of sorts

Reaction Score
I qualify with "of sorts" because it's one game and there are an assortment of other things that have to be considered regarding whether Ollie returns, and that's even before we get to the investigation that could render everything else that happens this season irrelevant.

But then again that's exactly the point. This could be it for the Kevin Ollie era at UConn. Maybe not officially, but for all intents and purposes. It'll be the last time this season the stands are full for a home game, the last time a big game is played on campus, and the last time we will have a chance to feel good about something until next season at the earliest. This is the pep rally game, the camp out game, the storm the court game, the give me the keys to the campus game...if they win. You have the students back for break with the #8 team in the country coming to town to play on a Saturday at noon. It's really the one place you've played well all season, the one place you feel comfortable, the last time people will pretend to be excited to hear your name called in intros.

Cincinnati is a lot better than us but they aren't Nova. They will be favored by, I don't know, 12 points, which is the equivalent of one point every three or four minutes. Hell, they may end up losing by 12 points. But what I want to know is are they actually going to give themselves a chance to lose the game, or have they already lost it? Because for these players, buried beneath all of these story lines is the harsh reality that this might be the last time people are going to really care about watching you play basketball. I mean sure, they'll always have people willing to pay to watch them play and most of them are probably good enough to play the sport for a living. But this could be the last time that they're the show, and if they have taken that for granted up until this point, now would be a good time to stop.

I try to avoid the super emotional, fan boy side to all of this, but I do think there is a time where you just need to see something. If that something is they have three players good enough to play with Cincy, then fine. I want to see those three players go at it that way. And if you're not good enough I want to see hope that you will be. If it's 6-5 at the first media timeout and then 12-10 and then 20-16 and eventually 60-54, OK. It still won't be good enough, but at least you'll have shown me something. I have more respect for the fighter who gets TKO'd in the 9th round than the one who loses by unanimous decision. The worst part about the last couple years is I haven't even felt pain at the end of these games because they just don't make you invest enough to feel like you've lost something. Give yourself the chance to feel pain. Play like you're guilty. Let yourself cry in the locker-room after the game because you finally realized you're just not good enough. Jalen Adams hasn't had any of those games at UConn. Neither has Terry Larrier.

I'm mostly at peace with the fact that this hasn't worked. I'm at peace with the fact that Ollie hasn't done his job and the players aren't built to do theirs. If 2014 ends up being the last great moment in the history of this program, so be it. I just don't want it to be the last moment. That would feel wrong. Give me something to remember good or bad. Give me a loss where I'm wincing the rest of the week because I wanted it for the guys on the team. UConn basketball is addicting. Right now I feel like I've willingly given up that addiction. If it goes, it goes, but that feeling is something that should be taken from me. Anything else feels wrong.

Reaction Score
Home games against Cincy have been a struggle, even when UConn was good. This promises to be a real challenge on the offensive end. 60 points would be great.

Reaction Score
I am not quite sure how to put this, but I will try and hope y'all understand.

Now, I do not have the stats to back me up, but I feel like every bottom dwelling and/or under .500 team in the Power 5/Big East (and even AAC) even when their season stinks, has that ONE game (per season) where they play out of their mind and, at the very least, keep a game against a superior opponent close (one possesion and/or overtime loss) and even win sometimes. Look at under .500 Vandy taking UK to overtime the other night as recent example. They might finish well below .500, even in last place, but they have at least ONE game where they played out of their mind. St. Johns/Xavier as well. Heck, even Portland/Gonzaga. Super inferior teams.

But I would venture, and can do the research if people are interested, that nearly every last place team in the P5 in the history of bball has had at least ONE game where they take a top 20 team to the wire and even win sometimes. I would bet on it and would figure a 10 year sample is enough, if, again, people want me to look into it.

With all of that said, when the heck is that ONE "out of their minds" game going to occur for Uconn??? Teams that would be considered for that type of win thus far are Nova, MSU and perhaps even Zona and WSU. Coming games that could qualify are Cincy and WSU. But it did not happen last year and has not yet this year. I think Uconn missing an out of their mind game in a 2 year span could very well be unique in college ball among the P5/Big east/aac.

From now on I will refer to this as the "out of their mind game of the season (OoTMGotS)" for certian teams such as, again, Vandy vs UK. Some under .500 teams are even lucky to have multiple games...One would argue St. Johns has had multiple OoTMGs this year. Uconn on the other hand, is likely at the bottom of that list (of OoTMGotS in the past two or three years) if it were to be compiled.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nah. Seeing Mick Cronin cry is ALWAYS a treat.
010112-mick-cronin-sw-pi_20120101215711352_660_320.jpg

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I qualify with "of sorts" because it's one game and there are an assortment of other things that have to be considered regarding whether Ollie returns, and that's even before we get to the investigation that could render everything else that happens this season irrelevant.

But then again that's exactly the point. This could be it for the Kevin Ollie era at UConn. Maybe not officially, but for all intents and purposes. It'll be the last time this season the stands are full for a home game, the last time a big game is played on campus, and the last time we will have a chance to feel good about something until next season at the earliest. This is the pep rally game, the camp out game, the storm the court game, the give me the keys to the campus game...if they win. You have the students back for break with the #8 team in the country coming to town to play on a Saturday at noon. It's really the one place you've played well all season, the one place you feel comfortable, the last time people will pretend to be excited to hear your name called in intros.

Cincinnati is a lot better than us but they aren't Nova. They will be favored by, I don't know, 12 points, which is the equivalent of one point every three or four minutes. Hell, they may end up losing by 12 points. But what I want to know is are they actually going to give themselves a chance to lose the game, or have they already lost it? Because for these players, buried beneath all of these story lines is the harsh reality that this might be the last time people are going to really care about watching you play basketball. I mean sure, they'll always have people willing to pay to watch them play and most of them are probably good enough to play the sport for a living. But this could be the last time that they're the show, and if they have taken that for granted up until this point, now would be a good time to stop.

I try to avoid the super emotional, fan boy side to all of this, but I do think there is a time where you just need to see something. If that something is they have three players good enough to play with Cincy, then fine. I want to see those three players go at it that way. And if you're not good enough I want to see hope that you will be. If it's 6-5 at the first media timeout and then 12-10 and then 20-16 and eventually 60-54, OK. It still won't be good enough, but at least you'll have shown me something. I have more respect for the fighter who gets TKO'd in the 9th round than the one who loses by unanimous decision. The worst part about the last couple years is I haven't even felt pain at the end of these games because they just don't make you invest enough to feel like you've lost something. Give yourself the chance to feel pain. Play like you're guilty. Let yourself cry in the locker-room after the game because you finally realized you're just not good enough. Jalen Adams hasn't had any of those games at UConn. Neither has Terry Larrier.

I'm mostly at peace with the fact that this hasn't worked. I'm at peace with the fact that Ollie hasn't done his job and the players aren't built to do theirs. If 2014 ends up being the last great moment in the history of this program, so be it. I just don't want it to be the last moment. That would feel wrong. Give me something to remember good or bad. Give me a loss where I'm wincing the rest of the week because I wanted it for the guys on the team. UConn basketball is addicting. Right now I feel like I've willingly given up that addiction. If it goes, it goes, but that feeling is something that should be taken from me. Anything else feels wrong.

Excellent post.

There are a lot of things that line up for us that point that this could be the lone feel good moment of the season. We BY FAR play our best Basketball in Gampel. Vital BY FAR is a different player in Gampel. Larrier got to get one game under his belt before Cincinnati and didnt look utterly horrible doing it. So at least he is not coming back cold. Jalen has been in a semi funk the last couple, but usually doesnt do that for extended stretches. Anderson has stepped up above the putrid level line. And Carlton is so much better now.

Cincinnati is a much much much better team. But I think it's possible to steal one. Because this is the only one we could steal. Simply because of Gampel. We are horrible on the road.

Also. Cincinnati is not going to go undefeated this season. They will throw a clunker at some point. they are really good but not THAT good. Even with all our issues, we are still UConn it would not be shocking for anyone nationally to see UConn knock off Cincinnati on a 12 pm game in Gampel.

So I wouldnt be utterly shocked at a win .

But the difference between this team and even other mediocre UConn teams is that I wouldnt be shocked at a 35 point loss either. It absolutely is in play.

It would be nice to grab this one. It will mean NOTHING in the scheme of things concerning the state of this program. We are still screwed. It would just be a nice short term gift for some hardworking (if oft inept) players and some suffering fans.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It would be a huge upset. It isn't impossible. But we'd need to play like we did vs SMU, and Cinci would need to have a really bad game. Given that they just overcame a big deficit against a Houston team that is much better than UConn, I think they are going to be ready to take care of business. They know how to close out games. I'd say UConn would be much more likely to upset a team like Kentucky, that is young, flashy and very up and down. UC is rock solid consistent.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Until they get to the 2nd round in March, of course...

Yes. The lack of offense tends to hurt them then. This team feels different to me. I think it's an elite 8 level squad, that, with the right match-up, could make a final four.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Excellent post.

There are a lot of things that line up for us that point that this could be the lone feel good moment of the season. We BY FAR play our best Basketball in Gampel. Vital BY FAR is a different player in Gampel. Larrier got to get one game under his belt before Cincinnati and didnt look utterly horrible doing it. So at least he is not coming back cold. Jalen has been in a semi funk the last couple, but usually doesnt do that for extended stretches. Anderson has stepped up above the putrid level line. And Carlton is so much better now.

Cincinnati is a much much much better team. But I think it's possible to steal one. Because this is the only one we could steal. Simply because of Gampel. We are horrible on the road.

Also. Cincinnati is not going to go undefeated this season. They will throw a clunker at some point. they are really good but not THAT good. Even with all our issues, we are still UConn it would not be shocking for anyone nationally to see UConn knock off Cincinnati on a 12 pm game in Gampel.

So I wouldnt be utterly shocked at a win .

But the difference between this team and even other mediocre UConn teams is that I wouldnt be shocked at a 35 point loss either. It absolutely is in play.

It would be nice to grab this one. It will mean NOTHING in the scheme of things concerning the state of this program. We are still screwed. It would just be a nice short term gift for some hardworking (if oft inept) players and some suffering fans.
The original post deserves the praise and is only marred by the third instance this week of someone writing "us" instead of "we." I think. I don't know anymore.

Your post is excellent in its own way, and not just because I agree with it.

I've mentioned before that my dad introduced me to UConn basketball 55 years ago. My father for many years shared meals with Harry Gampel as members of a quasi-club, The Toppers, that met monthly, primarily at Scolers restaurant. I think their common bond was childhood in Hartford's North End.

I have never been to Gampel Pavillion. Maybe Saturday is the day to go. I'm so out of it that I don't know whether I could get a ticket or whether it's laughable to wonder this anymore.

Nonetheless, I can envision either the thrill of an upset or a 91-47 beat down with enough excitement to at least float the idea of driving up to what long ago I thought was the Yukon.

Do I dare meet a Boneyarder?

J. Alfred Prufrock goes to Storrs?

Reaction Score
It is always nice to be on the good end of an upset. It would be nice. But that is it. Beyond that, it means little. We saw the Oregon game. And then they stunk against teams like Columbia (I was on that campus just yesterday) and Monmouth. We saw SMU. And then they stunk again. One or two good games in a row isn't enough to change anything. So, yeah, it would be nice.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The original post deserves the praise and is only marred by the third instance this week of someone writing "us" instead of "we." I think. I don't know anymore.

Your post is excellent in its own way, and not just because I agree with it.

I've mentioned before that my dad introduced me to UConn basketball 55 years ago. My father for many years shared meals with Harry Gampel as members of a quasi-club, The Toppers, that met monthly, primarily at Scolers restaurant. I think their common bond was childhood in Hartford's North End.

I have never been to Gampel Pavillion. Maybe Saturday is the day to go. I'm so out of it that I don't know whether I could get a ticket or whether it's laughable to wonder this anymore.

Nonetheless, I can envision either the thrill of an upset or a 91-47 beat down with enough excitement to at least float the idea of driving up to what long ago I thought was the Yukon.

Do I dare meet a Boneyarder?

J. Alfred Prufrock goes to Storrs?
Wait, you of all people have never set foot in Gampel? I'm going to have to put you on ignore.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom