Saturday (3/9) games | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Saturday (3/9) games

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I guess I'll watch UCLA-Oregon to the end, but the game so far has been awfully ugly. Haven't seen UCLA play before -- like watching football scrimmage. If Danger shot as many unsuccessful 3s as Ionescu someone would start a What's Wrong with Crystal thread.

Also, I'm getting a headache from the PAC-12 network picture, which looks like they're broadcasting from the 1970s. Can barely identify the players on the floor.
Eh, not a good first half from Sabrina, but she often picks things up in the second half. And yeah, some missed shots here and there, but I wouldn't call it ugly. 10 turnovers total between the two, and half the result of steals. Just two gritty teams that aren't giving much away. And I thought Miller in particular had some tremendous, savvy blocks and strips without making ANY contact.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
UCLA is playing well on the defensive end, but their half-court offense is ugly.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
And I thought Miller in particular had some tremendous, savvy blocks and strips without making ANY contact.

She gave some great minutes off the bench in the first half.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
but man did Kennedy Burke pick up the slack, 16 points and 8 rebounds in just the first half. She runs hot and cold but wow when she is on she is a matchup nightmare like Sabally and a better rebounder.

She wrecked Oregon in the last meeting. I've been impressed with her improvement as a Sr.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Another important bubble watch game in Oklahoma City: Texas leads TCU by 2 at the half. A win here would really help secure a bid for the Frogs.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
56-52 Oregon after Q3. Big uptick from Q2 for both teams.

Plebe

Reaction Score
This game gives every sign of going down to the wire. Oregon up by 3 with 3:40 to play. Ionescu has had a bad shooting night but has 6 assists and 11 rebounds. Hebard has been great with 20 and 12. Burke of UCLA has 25.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Holy cow. Japreece Dean taking over down the stretch. A 3 and then a floater and then another 3.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Dean has come alive w/ 3's on the last 2 possessions for UCLA. Puts them up 1 w/ 45 seconds left.

This has been a great game!

Hebard got a driving layup to put Ducks ahead. UCLA timeout w/ 8 seconds left. Can't ask for a better finish than this.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Unexpected hero of the game--Morgan Yaeger going 3-5 behind the arc for the Ducks.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wild series of events. UCLA hit 1 or 2 FTs to tie it. Oregon timeout to advance to halfcourt. On the inbounds, offensive foul call on a screen. UCLA had no timeout so they couldn't advance it. Dean rimmed out about a 30 foot heave at the buzzer. Overtime we go. This game was too good to be over after 40 minutes.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I'm glad this game is going to overtime. Tournament games need jazz. Even though this fumes both teams out tomorrow.

I thought Japreece Dean was reliable last year when we played them in KC, but now she's totally looking studly.

Reaction Score
TCU - Texas have provided a good game to watch. Tied at 61 - 61 with a 1:26 left. Winner gets ISU in Semi's tomorrow.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Back and forth in OT, but Oregon is gonna win. Close picked up a technical that probably cost her team the game. They went from up 2 to down 2 because of it. You have to keep your cool. Was still a couple minutes left at that point, but they were playing from behind the rest of the way instead of having the lead.

88-83 final

edit-- @Plebe can correct me if I'm wrong, but Hebard looked like she was pretty much back to 100%. Just about unstoppable when she got the entry pass.

Reaction Score
Texas pulls it out 66 - 64. TCU had the final shot and didn't get it up in time to tie or win. Texas gets Iowa State tomorrow in the Semi's. After Baylor vs KState.

Reaction Score
UCLA with some unfortunate calls down the stretch. Phantom jump ball with 40 seconds left with, Hebard ends up scoring after they get it back to tie it.

Then missed foul call with UCLA up 2 & Close gets T’d up. Essentially a 6-point swing as Oregon scored after the technical. Tough to swallow for UCLA.

Sabrina 4-19 FG but Hebard was spectacular. Ionescu losing her grip on the NPOY trophy.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Back and forth in OT, but Oregon is gonna win. Close picked up a technical that probably cost her team the game. They went from up 2 to down 2 because of it. You have to keep your cool. Was still a couple minutes left at that point, but they were playing from behind the rest of the way instead of having the lead.

88-83 final

edit-- @Plebe can correct me if I'm wrong, but Hebard looked like she was pretty much back to 100%. Just about unstoppable when she got the entry pass.
I didn’t see any ill effects from Hebard other than wearing the knee brace. She really carried Oregon offensively in the second half. Once Drummer got in foul trouble and then fouled out, Burke and Miller just couldn’t stop her.

I actually think that the technical on Close helped breathe life into Oregon when they were kinda on their heels in the early part of overtime. Ionescu hit both free throws and then Oregon scores on the possession, basically a 4 point play to take the lead. UCLA would tie it up a couple times but would never lead again.

Reaction Score
This was only the 3rd game Ive seen of UCLA and I was very impressed. They were all over the place. On the other side Oregon is the most complete offensive half-court team in the country. Everyone can shoot, Hebard can dominate down low, 2 great pick-n-roll players with Carzola & Sabrina & all 5 seem to be high IQ.

Plebe

Reaction Score
A very good day for Tennessee’s chances as fellow bubble teams faltered: TCU, Buffalo, West Virginia all lost.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I said this once but it bears repeating: UCLA is a problem for whoever gets them in their bracket. They’ll probably be a 6 seed and they’re gonna make life miserable for a 3 seed in the second round.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Ugly, but a pretty gripping game. I hope UConn doesn't get UCLA in its region. Japreece Dean is a killer; did more damage than Ionescu until the free throws. Hebard is like Collier, relentless, the Terminator. But for my money, Arkansas was the big story this evening. Blair's plan was shrewd -- old SEC dog tricks -- until his kids ran out of gas. Chelsea Dungee didn't make 30, but hit the 3 pt coup de grace.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Wow I just got back to my seat for the next game and it feels like there were more people at the Starbucks I just made a run to than there are here for the second game. Just kidding, but seriously I think it’s less than half the people that were here for the previous game.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I said this once but it bears repeating: UCLA is a problem for whoever gets them in their bracket. They’ll probably be a 6 seed and they’re gonna make life miserable for a 3 seed in the second round.

I'll second that, as did Graves after the game, which was in many ways a replay of last year's semifinal, which Oregon won by 3. Whatever happens tomorrow, I think the Ducks will be very glad to go home Monday and have some time to rest and heal. I do think that Hebard is still a bit slower than she was and doesn't jump as well as she did prior to the knee injury, but she is still money in the paint and a true warrior. I also felt that, with the pick and rolls being defended so well by UCLA, Graves made a important adjustment by having Sabally especially throw the ball to her over the top.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom