Sanogo's the star, but Clingan's paint protection changed the game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sanogo's the star, but Clingan's paint protection changed the game

Reaction Score
The killer run didn't happen until we started getting stops, and man did we string together some stops in the middle of the second half as soon as Clingan came on. Kid's got unreal defensive awareness.

Let's go win 4 more.
Agreed. I like that Hurley left him on the court in the 2nd half when there was a timeout called. Dude patrolled the paint like it was sacred ground.

Reaction Score
Anyone else thinking the better Sango keeps playing the better the chance he goes to the league? He already was a great player before the tournament. A lot of players that are just good players but have a good tournament and get drafted. He was already Great and now is getting better on the biggest stage.

Reaction Score
Anyone else thinking the better Sango keeps playing the better the chance he goes to the league? He already was a great player before the tournament. A lot of players that are just good players but have a good tournament and get drafted. He was already Great and now is getting better on the biggest stage!

Reaction Score
Anyone else thinking the better Sango keeps playing the better the chance he goes to the league? He already was a great player before the tournament. A lot of players that are just good players but have a good tournament and get drafted. He was already Great and now is getting better on the biggest stage.
Well it certainly won’t hinder his prospects

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Sanogo's decision is "Will I make more money overseas/g league or NIL at UConn and does Hurley want me back or did he promise Clingan 25-30 min and wants to keep our current offensive philosophy"
This X1000000. If our big money boosters have an interest in keeping Sanogo, we can probably offer a comparable one year salary to his overseas opportunities. It’s how much every party wants him back that matters.

Reaction Score
Adama, 24 and 8, also had a great defensive game today. He held Saxon to 6 points and 3 rebounds.

And Sanogo was on the floor (until Hurley pulled all the starters) when UConn held St Mary’s without a field goal for the last 7:06 minutes of the game.

Adama was dominant on both ends of the floor.

And please remember that the 14-3 run that separated the two teams started with a Adama rebound and putback in traffic, followed by a rebound on the defensive end and then two Adama made free throws before He went to the bench, Hawkins hits a three (if I’m remembering the sequence correctly) and the rout was on.

No doubt Clingan had nice minutes in relief. 4 points 5 rebounds and 3 blocks in 12 minutes.

Reaction Score
Right. Which is why I said we would take where we are. But did you see him play?
Yeah. I saw some of the game today and Tichibwe (sp?) was dominant. No doubt. My jaw dropped a few times on some of his plays.

But Adama strung together two great games, his team is advancing and well, 100 percent, he is my guy! One of my all time favorite Huskies!!

Reaction Score
St Mary's was feasting getting into the lane and scoring at the basket to start the 2nd half and all off that stopped as soon as DC came in
To varying degrees during 2022-2023, Clingan has been doing this every time he comes in. He been a game changer especially on defense, and sometimes on offense too, all season. When is Hurley going to try pairing him up with Sanogo?

Reaction Score
If it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it.
Hurley has the luxury of two effective 1 in 4 out lineups.
As many pointed out, Adama is effective but not perfect then we sub in Clingan. Oppo D needs to chase our shooters and they are blanketed by our D. DC owns the paint.

Teams like SM that are not deep can’t keep that up for 40 min.

Their 3 pct drops off in 2nd half and a rested Sanogo and DC can individually feast down low.

On to Vegas!

Reaction Score
The killer run didn't happen until we started getting stops, and man did we string together some stops in the middle of the second half as soon as Clingan came on. Kid's got unreal defensive awareness.

Let's go win 4 more.
Holy crap! Watching DC run the floor a couple times today i couldnt help but think how much of a beast hes going to be next season. Couple low post moves, added strength and work on the foul shooting and hes going to be spectacular.

Reaction Score
Agree that Clingan changed the trajectory of the game in the second half. St Mary's was scoring at will in the paint and Clingan shut it down. Bill Russell would be proud.

I still wish Hurley would do offensive and defensive substitutions with Clingan and Sanogo late in undecided games.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think Danny uses DC in the first half to give Adama a rest, and saves him up to use in the middle minutes of the second to wear down teams that are wearing out. It’s smart, but it kind of deleverages our efficiency. We are keeping teams in the game the first half with loose interior D.
Both players are relentless and intimidating. It must be very unnerving to know that when DC is playing and wrecking havoc in the paint Sanogo is getting a nice rest and vice versa. Our depth and athleticism was really apparent in this game. Too many weapons, too much talent. It's like an ocean that comes at you and you battle for a while; before long it just starts pounding you. You start to make mistakes and miss shots. Legs start to get heavy. Then the track meet starts up.

I just loved watching the second half of this game. Keep it up guys!!!!

Reaction Score

Let's go win 4 more.
Yep I said the same in the Post game Thread. Clingan has a bigger impact on this game than Sanogo. The problem with Sanogo is his defense is normally below average so when he scores on one side the other team comes back and gets an easy bucket inside against him. You can't punk Clingan like that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom