Sanogo Okafor Comparison At This Stage | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sanogo Okafor Comparison At This Stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyway Sanogo can be a much better Oriahki to me. His offense is already better as his left hand is really good.

That’s what I‘m thinking. Similar build, seems much more fluid in his movements.

Reaction Score
That used to be true, but now I think Kemba is his equal. Both were the best players in the country their junior year and both led their team to a championship.
I was rolling eyes at the Big East and the NCAA, not you. They were both best in conference and NCAA that year, in addition to NCs. And I think I'd give the edge to Kemba too, but the 11 game stretch gets counted in, as well as Makers Muppet.
Kemba should get the edge for his junior season because the 11 straight was Herculean but for UConn career Okafor should get the edge...

Kemba had that huge tournament game his freshman year to beat Missouri and help get us get to the final 4 but then disappeared next game. He was very good as a sophomore but not great on a team that didn't make the tournament and then he made a gigantic leap from a very good but inconsistent player as a sophomore to best player in the country as a junior. Okafor was really good from day 1, was a star/one of the best players in the country as a sophomore and the best player in the country as a junior. He had a good NCAA tournament his freshman year, totally dominated in the tournament his sophomore year, and then dominated when he needed to in the tournament his junior year. He was arguably the best defensive player in the country all three of his years at UConn.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
What are the chances Sanogo still grows an inch or two? Pretty sure Bouk went up an inch to 6'5 this year.

Reaction Score
Okafor was the best collegiate player this program has ever had.
Okafor was great, both skilled and classy but then again, so was Ray and Caron wasn't too shabby either .... we've had some very special players over the past thirty years

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Okafor was great, both skilled and classy but then again, so was Ray and Caron wasn't too shabby either .... we've had some very special players over the past thirty years

The easy way to make everyone happy is to differentiate between most accomplished and best players.

In terms of accomplishments, four players have been the alpha on four different championship teams. They were also consensus all-americans.

Okafor was also Nat'l defensive POY and #2 draft pick overall. No one at UConn has his pedigree for team accomplishment, individual awards and draft position.
Discussing best player is much more subjective.

Reaction Score
Interesting comparison. But this makes me more curious as to the story of JC running him out of the program please tell me how this happened?

Anyway Sanogo can be a much better Oriahki to me. His offense is already better as his left hand is really good.
He got in JC's infamous doghouse and got sick of it and quit. Once you got in JC's doghouse, he'd make you miserable.

Reaction Score
I realize we are in the middle of Covid and we are all giddy that college hoops is back. But these idiotic threads have to stop.

Sanogo vs Okafor at this point? Really? Two games into his career?? My god.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
He got in JC's infamous doghouse and got sick of it and quit. Once you got in JC's doghouse, he'd make you miserable.
Oriakhi left because of the postseason ban. Calhoun wouldnt have even been there his senior year.

Reaction Score
Oriakhi left because of the postseason ban. Calhoun wouldnt have even been there his senior year.
Ive always wondered though, If we weren’t facing that post season ban in 2013, does JC come back for one more year? I think that whole post season ban made Calhoun’s decision to retire at that point a lot easier, and he felt that season was a good opportunity for KO to prove himself as a first year HC in a season without any pressure or expectations. Regardless, even If JC came back, 2013 would have definitely been his last year. As competitive as Calhoun was, and still is, I don’t think he would have been motivated to coach in the AAC.

Reaction Score

But reality is we would assume Torraino put himself into that doghouse or certainly needed to be held somewhat accountable. JC didn’t want good kids, good players to leave and not play basketball. It’s too bad how it all turned out for sure.

Reaction Score
And yet, only Okafor was named Conference Player of the Year, and neither was judged NCAA Player if the Year :rolleyes:
By whom? Sporting News, Naismith, AP, Wooden?
How about the NABC who Google reminds me shared their POY award between Emeka and Jameer Nelson.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

No, JC made being miserable and quitting the the quickest, easiest route to take. Which is also the route most took to getting in the doghouse.

Reaction Score
Let’s not forget what helped make Okafor special (besides his size and obvious athleticism). It was his basketball acumen. Jim Calhoun called Okafor the smartest player he’s ever coached.
“Okafor maintained a 3.74 cumulative grade-point average (on a 4.0 scale) majoring in finance. He graduated in just three years and was named the 2004 BIg East Men's Basketball Scholar-Athlete of the Year. He was also the only UConn player in any sport named Academic All-American of the Year (2004) by the College Sports Information Directors of America. The award covers nationwide participants in all sports within the University Division.”

Reaction Score
Okafor was BTE. He was not a highly touted recruit. Boone was better than Villanueva that year.

Reaction Score

Okafor's defense is what set him apart for me. He wasn't the best offensive player we've had, clearly, but he was pretty darn good offensively and he could completely dominate a game on the other end of the floor. Okafor's defense is the best singular weapon this program has ever had IMO.

Reaction Score
A version of Zach randolph
Lefty 6-8 250
Smooth touch around hoop
Good/ great rebounder

Reaction Score
y’all...

2 college games that are technically exhibitions. Calm down.

Okafor? Seriously? smh

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Okafor wasn't as good as Sanogo in his first game.

Reaction Score
Okafor was great, but Sanogo appears to have the potential to be even better.
If sanogo is even half the player Okafor was it would be fantastic! He certainly is not close to as athletic as okafor or as tall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom