Sanogo/Martin Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sanogo/Martin Update

Reaction Score
The two things that don’t get talked about with Bouknight’s injury are the timing/necessity of the surgery and who was making the decisions. Good coaches protect their players, though, even if it makes some fans cranky, imo.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Maybe, but remember Bouk was insistent on taking his own doctor's opinion. He was cleared by team doctors way before then. Hopefully Hurley's assessment has a little more truth to it this time around.
Maybe it wasn’t just Bouks injury:cool:

Reaction Score
Does anyone have a strong recollection of how/when Adama's injury actually happened? Was it on a particular play or during the course of play? I have no strong recollection of the events leading up to the injury unlike many others where the circumstances/outcomes are obvious. Maybe I was just out of the room at the time.

Danny commenting on it being unusual for a basketball injury makes me curious.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The two things that don’t get talked about with Bouknight’s injury are the timing/necessity of the surgery and who was making the decisions. Good coaches protect their players, though, even if it makes some fans cranky, imo.

To be honest it doesn't bother me. Even if he weren't the most transparent coach I fully respect that coaches want to keep these things close to their vests sometimes. I hear you though about the Bouknight thing, it just seems like Bouk must have kept Hurley completely in the dark because he was talking about having him ready for the next game, then all of a sudden he was a few weeks to a month away. Either that or things completely changed with what was being communicated. Regardless of whose fault that was it kind of blindsided me, so I'm taking a more cautious approach here to avoid being frustrated again. More for my personal peace of mind than me taking a shot at Hurley or anyone on the team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To be honest it doesn't bother me. Even if he weren't the most transparent coach I fully respect that coaches want to keep these things close to their vests sometimes. I hear you though about the Bouknight thing, it just seems like Bouk must have kept Hurley completely in the dark because he was talking about having him ready for the next game, then all of a sudden he was a few weeks to a month away. Either that or things completely changed with what was being communicated. Regardless of whose fault that was it kind of blindsided me, so I'm taking a more cautious approach here to avoid being frustrated again. More for my personal peace of mind than me taking a shot at Hurley or anyone on the team.
I don’t know, but I kind of got a sense it was a breakdown in communication between Dan, James, the team’s physicians, and James physicians. I got the sense that James was ready to go upon getting cleared medically to play, but that his physician was more conservative. So Hurley was responding to his player in his medical staff saying James is ready and then James’ physician put that on hold for a while. I don’t think Danny was deliberately mistaking information.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have a strong recollection of how/when Adama's injury actually happened? Was it on a particular play or during the course of play? I have no strong recollection of the events leading up to the injury unlike many others where the circumstances/outcomes are obvious. Maybe I was just out of the room at the time.

Danny commenting on it being unusual for a basketball injury makes me curious.
i believe that one of the beat reporters said he was stretching awkwardly to block/contest a shot when he felt it. nothing jumped out at me while watching the game, though.

Reaction Score
I don’t know, but I kind of got a sense it was a breakdown in communication between Dan, James, the team’s physicians, and James physicians. I got the sense that James was ready to go upon getting cleared medically to play, but that his physician was more conservative. So Hurley was responding to his player in his medical staff saying James is ready and then James’ physician put that on hold for a while. I don’t think Danny was deliberately mistaking information.
I think it was Bouk and his doctor protecting Bouk for what he thought was going to be a stellar NBA career.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think it was Bouk and his doctor protecting Bouk for what he thought was going to be a stellar NBA career.
I think James wanted to go, but he, appropriately, listened to the advice of his personal surgeon.

Reaction Score
I think James wanted to go, but he, appropriately, listened to the advice of his personal surgeon.

A guy who wanted to be at his best for pre-draft workouts has the surgery when he did to clean up what they found when they examined the hyperextension. I don’t fault him for that, but it was a different course than a player in another position could have taken.

Reaction Score
i believe that one of the beat reporters said he was stretching awkwardly to block/contest a shot when he felt it. nothing jumped out at me while watching the game, though.
Not knowing anything more than a vague “abdominal” injury, and please @Doctor Hoop chime in; I believe most injuries to the area are a result of a twisting movement that strains the abdominal complex. What’s especially complex about the abdominal muscles is that relatively few attach to bone compared to limb and back musculature; rather, fascia. And, the core/abdominal muscles can’t be rested/immobilized much, as they are so key for every normal movement we make in day to day life. So an injury to a small oblique muscle can linger for a while.

Reaction Score
Not knowing anything more than a vague “abdominal” injury, and please @Doctor Hoop chime in; I believe most injuries to the area are a result of a twisting movement that strains the abdominal complex. What’s especially complex about the abdominal muscles is that relatively few attach to bone compared to limb and back musculature; rather, fascia. And, the core/abdominal muscles can’t be rested/immobilized much, as they are so key for every normal movement we make in day to day life. So an injury to a small oblique muscle can linger for a while.
that makes sense. below is the quote from hurley RE: sanogo's injury. i am sure someone could find the play in question on the replay.

“You knew it wasn’t good,” Hurley said. “You go back and watch the film. We turned the ball over and he tried to get the chase-down block. When he lunged for the chase-down block, you could see he grimaced and tried to stay in the game — and (tried to) practice yesterday.”

Reaction Score
that makes sense. below is the quote from hurley RE: sanogo's injury. i am sure someone could find the play in question on the replay.

Yeah I can see a quick overhead reach for a block doing it. Quickly pulling up on the rib cage and tugging on the abdominals below

CL82

Reaction Score
Tyrese is a key guy. Important he's not risking further injury. The way he plays that's asking a lot though.
Have to love his toughness, but he’s either cleared or he’s not. If he isn’t he doesn’t play.

Reaction Score
People are different. Some guys can play through injury. Some can't. Pain thresh holds are different. Some guys need to get hit or banged up a little to hit their stride. Returning from injury is tough to judge unless you know the individual.

So in short, WTFKs when either of these guys will be ready. Just hope it soon.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
People are different. Some guys can play through injury. Some can't. Pain thresh holds are different. Some guys need to get hit or banged up a little to hit their stride. Returning from injury is tough to judge unless you know the individual.

So in short, WTFKs when either of these guys will be ready. Just hope it soon.
I don't want it to be about pain thresholds. I want these guys healthy for March.

Reaction Score
The original prognosis for Tyrese was 2 to 4 weeks. The Bona game puts it just under that, the PC game falls right in the middle. The nature of Sanogo’s injury makes predictions a little less clear. Tyrese’s is more similar to Jordan’s ankle injury, in that the course of recovery js fairly straightforward. And, in the best way, neither can be trusted! They’d be out there tonight if given the choice.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom