Saniya | The Boneyard

Saniya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The final 95-88 looks like a men's basketball score.

So, Ms Chong gets off to a roaring start with 37 points!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A good win for Ossining. I think Molloy is solid.

Is the kid with 5 treys the 8th grader--Espinosa-Hunter?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just did some research. Yep, Espinioza-Hunter played on the varisty last year as a 7th grader!

Reaction Score
One of Ossining’s top players from last year, Destini Walker, has moved to Virginia.
Hopefully, Ossining will still be able to achieve their goals this season, but it will be tougher without Destini, who was a true force on the inside.
Click on this LINK to read a short article about this year’s Ossining team and the loss of Destini.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

I like the Swanier quote in your sig...!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Thanks for this link. I believe I read that AB is ranked #3 in NYC.
This is "Paul Ball at Loyola Marymount" back in the day. Translated to the 40 minute game in college, Ossining would
have scored around 119....yikes!

BTW: Ek Check from Thursday night: St. Mary's goes to 7-0 with a 69-25 win over Alhambra.
My wish: St. Mary's tangles with Ossining at the Nike in Arizona before Christmas.

Reaction Score
Here’s a LINK to a full article on yesterday’s game.
Saniya had 37 points, 9 assists, 6 steals and 5 blocks…………..and then she fouled out at the end of the third quarter with Ossining leading Archbishop Molloy by 27 points. Amazing! Saniya admitted it was a dumb 5th foul.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Saniya had 37 points, 9 assists, 6 steals and 5 blocks…………..and then she fouled out at the end of the third quarter with Ossining leading Archbishop Molloy by 27 points. Amazing! Saniya admitted it was a dumb 5th foul.

From the mouths of babes:

"At times I wasn't sure what to do. But I realized I needed to take over the game." --8th grade starting forward Hunter-Espinoza commenting on the situation after [senior] Chong fouled out.

This girl may be one to watch....for 2017! (Did I really just type that? Lol)

:)

Reaction Score
From the mouths of babes:

"At times I wasn't sure what to do. But I realized I needed to take over the game." --8th grade starting forward Hunter-Espinoza commenting on the situation after [senior] Chong fouled out.

This girl may be one to watch....for 2017! (Did I really just type that? Lol)

:)
I saw Hunter-Espinoza play several times last year.....when I found out she was a 7th grader, I couldn't believe it. Great outside shot, plays hard. Here's a short summary on her from this year: "Most improved: Andres Espinoza-Hunter: It’s crazy to mention an 8th grader in this slot but Espinoza-Hunter is a completely different player than she was last year. She has improved her ball handling and has advanced from a bench player to a clear starter."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well I love hearing about Saniya of course. I wonder if she will be a bit like Brianna Banks in that both had a ton of potential, but it took Brianna a full year to really get up to speed with the pace, speed, and strength required to be really successful at the college level.

But I also have to think it's pretty great that they have an 8th grader who is so good also. Nice pipeline down the road for Geno and co. if it were to work out that way...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw Hunter-Espinoza play several times last year.....when I found out she was a 7th grader, I couldn't believe it. Great outside shot, plays hard. Here's a short summary on her from this year: "Most improved: Andres Espinoza-Hunter: It’s crazy to mention an 8th grader in this slot but Espinoza-Hunter is a completely different player than she was last year. She has improved her ball handling and has advanced from a bench player to a clear starter."
Imagine what she will do with the college sophomore leap!

Taking over the game as an 8th grader is just ridiculous. That's EDD type performance.

Sign her up now!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She's like Diana in terms of shooting, scoring, winning, and fouling out on dumb plays. That's good company. :)

Reaction Score
Well I love hearing about Saniya of course. I wonder if she will be a bit like Brianna Banks in that both had a ton of potential, but it took Brianna a full year to really get up to speed with the pace, speed, and strength required to be really successful at the college level.

But I also have to think it's pretty great that they have an 8th grader who is so good also. Nice pipeline down the road for Geno and co. if it were to work out that way...

Here’s my 2cents on Brianna.

Last year she possessed all the same dazzling physical skills that she is putting on display this year (although she’s probably a little stronger & a little faster due to the strength and conditioning program at UConn).

I believe what caused Brianna to look like a fish out of water last year was her unfamiliarity with Geno’s offensive and defensive schemes, and her reaction to Geno’s way of “teaching” it to her. She didn’t know what to do or where to go on the court and that uncertainty affected her physically, e.g. her shot, her offensive & defensive movement, etc. Her mind got “in the way” of her body. And it got worse as last season progressed.

Brianna worked real hard this summer and had an attitude adjustment with regard to Geno’s way of teaching his offensive & defensive concepts. Plus she’s had a year to absorb those concepts and feels much more confident about where to go, what to do, and when, on the court. Brianna is a totally different player this year because of her new mental approach and continued hard work.

Each incoming freshman must go through the same growing pains, and each has varying degrees of success. KML adjusted faster and in a more positive way last year, than BB and KS. Breanna S, Morgan T and Moriah J are going through their growing pains as we speak and I’m sure Saniya will do her best to push through her's when she gets here next year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think it had less to do with Geno or anything at UCONN than it did with her simply needing to mature and assess what she wanted in life and was willing to do to get there. It was from everything we've heard and read her own inner journey.

Reaction Score
... Nice pipeline down the road for Geno and co. if it were to work out that way...

Noogies to ericsandiego for prematurely suggesting that Ossining might be a pipeline of good players for UConn. We had loose talk like this about Colorado when Ann Strother came here, and we can all remember how that pipeline worked out: sabotaged by ACC terrorists!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Noogies to ericsandiego for prematurely suggesting that Ossining might be a pipeline of good players for UConn. We had loose talk like this about Colorado when Ann Strother came here, and we can all remember how that pipeline worked out: sabotaged by ACC terrorists!
Let's just hope that UConn is not a pipeline for Ossining.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What makes a great player is when they decide to make a total commitment to what they want. That means giving up everything to persue you Dream.

Reaction Score
I think it had less to do with Geno or anything at UCONN than it did with her simply needing to mature and assess what she wanted in life and was willing to do to get there. It was from everything we've heard and read her own inner journey.

I have read, and heard, on several occasions ….”listen to WHAT Geno says in practice …..not HOW he says it” Last year Brianna B, as a freshman, was listening more to how he said it. It was one of the things that she let affect her game and her confidence. Ice, I’m positive I read that in one of the preseason articles that was trying to explain Brianna’s big turnaround this season. I can definitely see that happening with vulnerable freshmen.

With help from her teammates and assistant coaches (especially Shea), she now listens to what Geno says, NOT how he says it and it’s one of the things that has helped to make a world of difference with how she approaches her playing / practice time this year.

Ice, I do agree that Brianna did go home this past summer and revaluate her approach to last season, recommitting herself to work even harder and to taking a more mature approach to her practice habits and attitude……….and with very promising results. I’m sure Brianna’s very happy and she has made the Husky fans very happy too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom