Samuel | The Boneyard

Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So nice seeing him hit those couple jumpers AND his free throws

Reaction Score
He almost looked like he could shoot when he made those 2. He was good no doubt in this one and played mostly within himself which is what they need from him. That baseline drive with no plan scared me but mostly he was solid on both ends.

Reaction Score
Late last year he looked like he had a decent jump shot. Up to this point this year he looked like he couldn't hit water from a boat. I suspect the truth is in between, even a few points a game from TSam would be a big help.

Reaction Score
Late last year he looked like he had a decent jump shot. Up to this point this year he looked like he couldn't hit water from a boat. I suspect the truth is in between, even a few points a game from TSam would be a big help.

Actually depending on the game it's not the points with TSam, it's taking care of the ball. If he does that and plays the defense he already does whatever points come are a bonus!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
T sam is so important to this team, he's like the defensive equivalent to John Gwyn. The freezer vs. the Microwave if you will. It's not that he shuts down scoring, but more like his hustle plays (deflections, steals, pressure that forces turnovers) and his influence on the general pace of the game in the open court (frequently makes good up court passes, pushes off the dribble, attacks the basket) have a tide turning effect.

His struggles this year have been in the half court but you can start to see the "counter-punches" Ollie is coaching Samuel to exploit. His biggest transition thus far has been dealing with over penetration. When T Sam was on page 2 of the scouting report, he was able to get to the tin easier and finish, but this year teams have been collapsing on him at the rim. I think it was the Texas game where you could clearly see Ollie coaching TSam to penetrate to pass vs. to score. Ollie was miming a jump stop and read motion as Samuel came off the floor after one of his turnovers. Watch for this in future games, Samuel is now penetrating to a controlled stop and looking to move the ball. It's been a fun evolution to watch.

The mid range jumpers T Sam is taking now are to keep other teams from shading him just a bit too far. You can lag off him, but you can't disrespect him completely.

T Sam might not be blessed with the gifts we've seen from the Kembas Bazz's and Boats of recent history, but he's every bit as tough as them, and I love that we get to see him for 2.5 more years.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
T sam is so important to this team, he's like the defensive equivalent to John Gwyn. The freezer vs. the Microwave if you will. It's not that he shuts down scoring, but more like his hustle plays (deflections, steals, pressure that forces turnovers) and his influence on the general pace of the game in the open court (frequently makes good up court passes, pushes off the dribble, attacks the basket) have a tide turning effect.

His struggles this year have been in the half court but you can start to see the "counter-punches" Ollie is coaching Samuel to exploit. His biggest transition thus far has been dealing with over penetration. When T Sam was on page 2 of the scouting report, he was able to get to the tin easier and finish, but this year teams have been collapsing on him at the rim. I think it was the Texas game where you could clearly see Ollie coaching TSam to penetrate to pass vs. to score. Ollie was miming a jump stop and read motion as Samuel came off the floor after one of his turnovers. Watch for this in future games, Samuel is now penetrating to a controlled stop and looking to move the ball. It's been a fun evolution to watch.

The mid range jumpers T Sam is taking now are to keep other teams from shading him just a bit too far. You can lag off him, but you can't disrespect him completely.

T Sam might not be blessed with the gifts we've seen from the Kembas Bazz's and Boats of recent history, but he's every bit as tough as them, and I love that we get to see him for 2.5 more years.

I will never call him TSam again. From now on it's the Freezer.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
I give him credit for playing especially the way he left the court against Duke. Tough kid.

Reaction Score
KO is really coaching him up. Didn't over penetrate and pulled up at the elbow to him a couple of jumpers. Also had 4 assist by far his best of the season. If he can play at that level he could become a key offensive contributor. He has been a liability on offense so far this season. Keep our finger.s cross that this wasn't a one off.

Reaction Score
Actually depending on the game it's not the points with TSam, it's taking care of the ball. If he does that and plays the defense he already does whatever points come are a bonus!
Agreed he is possibly our second best ball handler and ,actually showed good passing ability last year.he can be a tenacious defender. When he develops a shot he will be a darn good D1 PG. He has to shoot well enough to prevent defenses to collapse on us cutting off passing lanes and penetration.
Our problem is we are used to great. RB,SN,KW,AJP, Marcus,Talik, KA,DS?
We are sure spoiled.
He can be in the Tate George,Ricky Moore , KO league ,and that ain't bad.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
him and boat are the quickest ones on the team, especially moving laterally, i think he does a great job defensively... Brimah and hamilton need to work on that... brimah get's called all the time when a player tries to beat him by going around him, hamilton more so on the perimeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom