Samson's back!!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Samson's back!!!

Reaction Score
it's great he's back and I'm sure there was a reason he was the starter to open the season. But from how he looked against Butler...I don't think we'll have to worry about him "stealing" any minutes. I'm sure he'll get some situational chances and it's good depth for the team, but banking on him being able to provide 10+ minutes of anything every game seems like a tall task. I wouldn't be shocked to see some DNP-CDs. Hope he does just get better every game and opportunity. We're always only one injury away from any of the top 10 guys on this team being needed more.

I do wonder if a lot of the defensive assignments Karaban has seen has been prep for this.....he's gotten some of the tougher matchups so maybe they plan on shifting him to the 3 every now and then and samson would cut into the alleyne/joeyc/diarra timeshare minutes. I wonder if some of the reluctance to use sanogo and clingan together is the risk of losing one of them to fouls while the other one is out there getting tired...some actual post depth now might help in that regard? maybe? guess we'll see

overall good problem to have. getting a guy back with that size and skillset never a bad thing. just another arm in the bullpen for hurley

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
it's great he's back and I'm sure there was a reason he was the starter to open the season. But from how he looked against Butler...I don't think we'll have to worry about him "stealing" any minutes. I'm sure he'll get some situational chances and it's good depth for the team, but banking on him being able to provide 10+ minutes of anything every game seems like a tall task. I wouldn't be shocked to see some DNP-CDs. Hope he does just get better every game and opportunity. We're always only one injury away from any of the top 10 guys on this team being needed more.

I do wonder if a lot of the defensive assignments Karaban has seen has been prep for this.....he's gotten some of the tougher matchups so maybe they plan on shifting him to the 3 every now and then and samson would cut into the alleyne/joeyc/diarra timeshare minutes. I wonder if some of the reluctance to use sanogo and clingan together is the risk of losing one of them to fouls while the other one is out there getting tired...some actual post depth now might help in that regard? maybe? guess we'll see

overall good problem to have. getting a guy back with that size and skillset never a bad thing. just another arm in the bullpen for hurley

Six to eight minutes means he gives Karaban a full extra break for one of the four minute segments each half. With TV timeouts, if Johnson can come in and know he's only expected to go all out for that 3-4 minute segment that gives Karaban some much needed rest.

Reaction Score
Six to eight minutes means he gives Karaban a full extra break for one of the four minute segments each half. With TV timeouts, if Johnson can come in and know he's only expected to go all out for that 3-4 minute segment that gives Karaban some much needed rest.
Defensive competence and five fouls. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
The only way Samson gets major minutes is if he shoots the three ball better than Alex. Alex's overall game is much more well rounded and tested than Samson's. Gun to your head/BE tourney championship game/sweet sixteen game - who gets what minutes across these 4's/5's?:

Alex
Donovan
Samson

I go with:
30-32 for Alex
13-17 for Clingan
5-7 for Samson
His minutes will also come from Alleyne.

Reaction Score
Problem is they can both shoot, and DC can't handle either of them on the perimeter. He didn't play much vs Xavier and was exposed on D. But we need some length with quickness and agility to guard Freemantle outside. It's not ideal, nothing is with those two guys. They are a challenge for everyone they play.

I expect we will see a variety of lineups as we try to contain them. Not sure what will work. Try everything, including DC and AS together.

Exposed on D? The only time Freemantle tried he blocked his shot. He can't guard anyone on the perimeter but nor can anyone else they scored at will on us and Boum didn't shoot well. And I agree they would be challenged on the perimeter but everyone is beating us from 8-12 feet and that would change that. Again it's not like we know SJ can guard anyone he never has yet so if we didn't try our 2 very good bigs I don't see the sense. Remember when we guarded the perimeter daring them to come see Emeka, Josh and Charlie then Thabeet? Well why not.

Reaction Score
Joey can still distribute and hit shots. I'm not sure I've seen anything from Alleyne offensively to give me confidence other than being another body with 5 fouls.

Alleyne has played very good defense most all the time he just hasn't made shots so most don't notice that. I agree on Joey much like we need Newton to play as he has the last 3 halves, we need California to make shots again because besides his D he adds a lot to our offense.

Reaction Score
Once Johnson is back in shape and up to speed on the game plan and the plays he will get a lot of minutes. It won't take as long as some think. He was ready and up to speed when he was hurt on 11/1 and he has been at practice all year. Once conditioned the rest will come quick. Everyone is concerned with defense and rightly so. But remember he is not an easy matchup for the other team as well. I think you will see lineups with both Johnson and Karaban in at times with each of the centers with Jackson and Hawkins at guard.

With him back there is a lot of different combos to throw at the opponent. If used right Uconn has the ability to overwhelm a lot of teams including most of the Big East.

caw

Reaction Score
Just from the few minutes against two bad teams he looks like he has at least one attribute none of the other bigs have. He's quick.

He may not be the shooter Karaban is, nor have his BBIQ. He isn't as big, or intimidating as Clingan. He isn't as strong, and doesn't have the post game of Sanogo. However, he has length and quickness. I think he should be a great fit with the other three, if he can be worked into the lineups appropriately.

He has the potential to form a pretty potent defensive unit with Clingan, Diarra and Alleyne off the bench. Not to mention if you throw Jackson in there (though the offense could be a bit iffy with that five).

Reaction Score
Hmmm... 6 mins...2 Pts + 1 Assist....

Well, he got to play some....

Reaction Score
Just from the few minutes against two bad teams he looks like he has at least one attribute none of the other bigs have. He's quick.

He may not be the shooter Karaban is, nor have his BBIQ. He isn't as big, or intimidating as Clingan. He isn't as strong, and doesn't have the post game of Sanogo. However, he has length and quickness. I think he should be a great fit with the other three, if he can be worked into the lineups appropriately.

He has the potential to form a pretty potent defensive unit with Clingan, Diarra and Alleyne off the bench. Not to mention if you throw Jackson in there (though the offense could be a bit iffy with that five).
Offense would be horrendous with those 5.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
No, he isn't. Much thicker than Deng.
chris farley GIF

Reaction Score
Glad he's back but this no game changer for us. Does he get more than garbage time?

Reaction Score
Snarky about a 20 year old kid who is coming off an injury and who's career hasn't gone as planned so far. Cool.
Not snarky at all jackhole...if he has a hand injury now just saying not his year after just coming off foot injury.

I was wondering why he didn't see the floor and there was no pregame mention of a new injury. So hmmmm was my curiosity. I was thrilled for him last game as many were when he got mins.

Reaction Score
Not snarky at all jackhole...if he has a hand injury now just saying not his year after just coming off foot injury.

I was wondering why he didn't see the floor and there was no pregame mention of a new injury. So hmmmm was my curiosity. I was thrilled for him last game as many were when he got
Sorry. The Hmmm.... before the "not his year" seemed unnecessary and puposeful in it's placement. My bad if I took it wrong jackhole. Too many bad fans just turned me into one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom