Samson's back!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Samson's back!!!

Reaction Score
Samson will play plenty. Please remember the starting lineup vs Stonehill

Reaction Score
So do they keep with a 10 man rotation going into the tourney, with the hot hands playing most minutes off the bench like we’ve done through out this year? Commentators during the game thinking Hurley needs to trim it down. I like the 10 man rotation but could still see a solid 8 man rotation being valid too. To me, it makes the most sense to play it based on matchup, but that makes it tough for a guy to catch fire and stay hot, like Giffey in 2014. Definitely consider myself moreso a spectator than a player myself though, so would be interested what the consensus is.

If you trim it down to 8, I would have to think the prime candidates to be benched are Samson (getting back into game shape is big), Diarra (talent, particularly offensively), Calcaterra (defense lacking) and Alleyne (generally in a slump this year but has the talent on both ends).

Either way, this is a good problem to have.

Reaction Score
The only way Samson gets major minutes is if he shoots the three ball better than Alex. Alex's overall game is much more well rounded and tested than Samson's. Gun to your head/BE tourney championship game/sweet sixteen game - who gets what minutes across these 4's/5's?:

Alex
Donovan
Samson

I go with:
30-32 for Alex
13-17 for Clingan
5-7 for Samson

Reaction Score
If we use the 2 big against Xavier(which I think we should use for stretches) he’ll see some time

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If we use the 2 big against Xavier(which I think we should use for stretches) he’ll see some time
Xavier is really his best matchup, but I'm not sure how ready he is physically. He can take Kallbrenner or Nunge outside more effectively than Karaban or our 5s. It could allow us to switch, with Sanogo/Clingan staying inside.

Reaction Score
Love Sampson (LOL). Better post feeds and a better bounce on that first 3, he'd have really been humming off the long layoff. Buy stock now as Rothstein says lol!

Reaction Score
Even if Samson was able to do cardio in all his recovery time it is different running up and down the court. If he can help at the 4 for 8 minutes a game it would be huge. He has a good ability to finish around the rim and can set up for the 3. It was great to hear the ovation the fans gave him on the TV broadcast when he entered the game. Well done fans.
And to me it’s more the bump and grind of being a big in basketball. Even though he likely won’t be defending guys like Sanogo, the brutal toll that sort of play takes on your endurance can not be underestimated. That’s why I want our team to pound it on some of these teams. X runs Nunge and Freemantle and if we make them defend we can get their legs tired for the last 5, we should have the depth to wear most teams out when Samson is back to full strength

Reaction Score
So do they keep with a 10 man rotation going into the tourney, with the hot hands playing most minutes off the bench like we’ve done through out this year? Commentators during the game thinking Hurley needs to trim it down. I like the 10 man rotation but could still see a solid 8 man rotation being valid too. To me, it makes the most sense to play it based on matchup, but that makes it tough for a guy to catch fire and stay hot, like Giffey in 2014. Definitely consider myself moreso a spectator than a player myself though, so would be interested what the consensus is.

If you trim it down to 8, I would have to think the prime candidates to be benched are Samson (getting back into game shape is big), Diarra (talent, particularly offensively), Calcaterra (defense lacking) and Alleyne (generally in a slump this year but has the talent on both ends).

Either way, this is a good problem to have.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Alleyne and Joeys minutes almost disappear in March, but I still think he’ll give them each a chance in the tail end of the first half to just sort of see what each weapon has on a given day. The way we can play inside out with our bigs, if Hawk/Karaban are cold Hurley has to let guys like Naheim/Hassan/Joey get an open shot off a Sanogo double team and just see if it’s their day.

We know hawk/Karaban will have the green light even if they miss 5 in a row wide open, but you can’t underestimate the strategy of riding a hot hand with so many guys who can shoot a bit on the roster

Reaction Score
5 Fouls/disruptive D/blocks/boards/energy.. 10 minutes.. Vs X.. Draw a foul or two vs Kalk/Freemantle.. Good with that for starters with Samson..

Reaction Score
Xavier is really his best matchup, but I'm not sure how ready he is physically. He can take Kallbrenner or Nunge outside more effectively than Karaban or our 5s. It could allow us to switch, with Sanogo/Clingan staying inside.
Maybe Nunge a little but Kalk inside will have a field day I think. I'd feel we're crazy if we don't try to switch off on them a little with Sanogo and Clingan same time assuring DC is mostly inside. I'm curious why we would prefer SJ/Clingan or AS/SJ and not our 2 most impactful bigs in same time? It's not like he's proven to be a good defender as of yet. We saw what DC did with Freemantle and I'm sure he remembers as well. AGain, I don't mind them trying SJ with these guys but they didn't even try our best 2 the first time.

Reaction Score
I loved seeing how happy Karaban was for him when he was checking in. Despite the fact that SJ will eat into his minutes, you could tell AK was genuinely psyched for him to get the applause.

Ive seen quite a few examples of that this season. Despite the recent rough stretch, this is a very likeable team.

I actually notice this a lot. Yesterday during the Butler game, Newton and Diarra were going out of their way to high five each other and hype each other up every time they subbed in/out. For guys who are competing for minutes, that sort of camaraderie is good for the whole team

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Maybe Nunge a little but Kalk inside will have a field day I think. I'd feel we're crazy if we don't try to switch off on them a little with Sanogo and Clingan same time assuring DC is mostly inside. I'm curious why we would prefer SJ/Clingan or AS/SJ and not our 2 most impactful bigs in same time? It's not like he's proven to be a good defender as of yet. We saw what DC did with Freemantle and I'm sure he remembers as well. AGain, I don't mind them trying SJ with these guys but they didn't even try our best 2 the first time.
Problem is they can both shoot, and DC can't handle either of them on the perimeter. He didn't play much vs Xavier and was exposed on D. But we need some length with quickness and agility to guard Freemantle outside. It's not ideal, nothing is with those two guys. They are a challenge for everyone they play.

I expect we will see a variety of lineups as we try to contain them. Not sure what will work. Try everything, including DC and AS together.

Reaction Score
5 Fouls/disruptive D/blocks/boards/energy.. 10 minutes.. Vs X.. Draw a foul or two vs Kalk/Freemantle.. Good with that for starters with Samson..
My bad..Meant Nunge not Kalk..

Reaction Score
If he can give 8-10 good minutes of defense, it'll be a huge help to managing fouls for the rest of the team. Freemantle will post up Karaban inside and if we go two bigs, I'm sure we'll see Freemantle trying to take Sanogo off the bounce from the perimeter. Those are both matchups that are going to lead to a lot of fouls.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t be surprised if Alleyne and Joeys minutes almost disappear in March, but I still think he’ll give them each a chance in the tail end of the first half to just sort of see what each weapon has on a given day. The way we can play inside out with our bigs, if Hawk/Karaban are cold Hurley has to let guys like Naheim/Hassan/Joey get an open shot off a Sanogo double team and just see if it’s their day.

We know hawk/Karaban will have the green light even if they miss 5 in a row wide open, but you can’t underestimate the strategy of riding a hot hand with so many guys who can shoot a bit on the roster

Joey can still distribute and hit shots. I'm not sure I've seen anything from Alleyne offensively to give me confidence other than being another body with 5 fouls.

Reaction Score
We have 2 centers and we have 2 power forwards. I don't get infatuation with playing AS and DC together. Who does Adama guard if Clingan is in the game?

Reaction Score
Loved seeing him back. But I’m hoping for more inside-the-paint activity rather than perimeter 3pt shooting..we’ve got enough of that in our offense already.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Loved seeing him back. But I’m hoping for more inside-the-paint activity rather than perimeter 3pt shooting..we’ve got enough of that in our offense already.

If you are expecting a quality back the basket or post game from Samson this season, I think you will be disappointed.

I hope I am wrong but I suspect I will be right.
Johnson can bring another active body for offensive rebounds and put backs but they aren't going to be running any post plays for Johnson.

Reaction Score
If he can give 8-10 good minutes of defense, it'll be a huge help to managing fouls for the rest of the team. Freemantle will post up Karaban inside and if we go two bigs, I'm sure we'll see Freemantle trying to take Sanogo off the bounce from the perimeter. Those are both matchups that are going to lead to a lot of fouls.
I hope he could do that in terms of defense, but it really is a big IF at this point. No one other than the coaches and the players have ever really seen him play defense to any real degree. I have to sit on the fence and hope for the best but we shall see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom