Samson Johnson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Samson Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Corey Floyd Jr has entered the chat

But in all seriousness, my guess is that there just wasn't a good time to "try out" Johnson in the Xavier game. Guy has played like 20 minutes of college basketball across 2 seasons, that's not the scenario to just toss him in and hope he has it. My guess is if we handle business vs DePaul and Georgetown this week he will get some run to see how he fits with different lineups / guys.
Ha. That’s pretty good.
I get what you’re saying. I’m basing it off the sub sector of BYers who held the hope that because he was a day one starter that maybe he would give us a huge boost. If he really was that guy Hurley would find ways to get him at least some minutes. Not conditioning minutes, but “there’s no way I can NOT play this guy if he’s eligible” minutes. I think we were hoping for that SJ.

If Sanogo AJax or Hawkins were in his scenario I think they would have played against Xavier.

Reaction Score
Ha. That’s pretty good. I get what you’re saying. I’m basing it off the sub sector of BYers who held the hope that because he was a day one starter that maybe he would give us a huge boost. If he really was that guy Hurley would find ways to get him at least some minutes. Not conditioning minutes, but “there’s no way I can NOT play this guy if he’s eligible” minutes. I think we were hoping for that SJ. If Sanogo AJax or Hawkins were in his scenario I think they would have played against Xavier.

It's what happens when people only listen to the Hurley sound bites and don't use their eyes...
I was at the preseason scrimmage and used my eyes. His loss was huge for this team, it wasn't readily apparent until the Big East games came. If the foot is OK that doesn't mean he is ready to play especially in a big game where every possession counts. He needs to know the defense and offense and get his reaction time in synch. If he has practiced all this week I think he plays 5 to 8 minutes tomorrow and hopefully be a big contributor before the season is thru.

Reaction Score
I do think we need to pair our bigs together better. Johnson would look better with Adama rather than Donavan
Yep, Johnson can help cover inside with his length just like Donavan could do for Karaban.

Reaction Score
There are still people saying Karaban is a glaring weakness on our team

Edited to add: I am not one of them
Offense no. Defense yes. I believe interior defense is our biggest weakness. Not just AS and AK getting posted up but their inability to protect the rim when our guards get beat off the dribble. With AS and SJ playing together and DC and AK playing together and at times AS and DC our interior defense is suddenly pretty good. Then our guards getting beat off the dribble is not quite the killer it has been.

Reaction Score
Samson is still getting his feet wet. He looked good close in on the offensive end. He seemed to be connected on defense. Right now his best chance to contribute looks like put backs and altering shots. He definitely belongs. The faster he get up to speed the better for us.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Samson is still getting his feet wet. He looked good close in on the offensive end. He seemed to be connected on defense. Right now his best chance to contribute looks like put backs and altering shots. He definitely belongs. The faster he get up to speed the better for us.
He looks like a center on offense. I know he made some 3s in HS, but his shot looks awkward to put it mildly. Right now he’s only a lob or putback threat.

Defensively he probably couldn’t guard a traditional post player with his lack of strength, so he’s better off defending the 4 man. His rim protection has been non-existent in his first 95 minutes (3 blocks - all in one game) too despite his height and athleticism.

Hopefully we see him acclimate to college ball soon, but so far I haven’t seen anything that shows me he can contribute to a contender. I’m hoping we find spots to get him minutes to give him a chance to earn more, but right now you couldn’t play him against most teams in conference.

Reaction Score
He looks like a center on offense. I know he made some 3s in HS, but his shot looks awkward to put it mildly. Right now he’s only a lob or putback threat.

Defensively he probably couldn’t guard a traditional post player with his lack of strength, so he’s better off defending the 4 man. His rim protection has been non-existent in his first 95 minutes (3 blocks - all in one game) too despite his height and athleticism.

Hopefully we see him acclimate to college ball soon, but so far I haven’t seen anything that shows me he can contribute to a contender. I’m hoping we find spots to get him minutes to give him a chance to earn more, but right now you couldn’t play him against most teams in conference.
Honestly, would anyone here be unhappy with blocks, rebounds and putbacks while absorbing some fouls?

Reaction Score
I've always thought Samsons length theoretically compensates for Adamas lack of height both offensively and defensively. On defense, he provides weakside rim protection where Adama is simply not long enough. On offense, it's harder to double team Adama if you know Samson is flying in from the opposite side.

Reaction Score
Ha. That’s pretty good.
I get what you’re saying. I’m basing it off the sub sector of BYers who held the hope that because he was a day one starter that maybe he would give us a huge boost. If he really was that guy Hurley would find ways to get him at least some minutes. Not conditioning minutes, but “there’s no way I can NOT play this guy if he’s eligible” minutes. I think we were hoping for that SJ.

If Sanogo AJax or Hawkins were in his scenario I think they would have played against Xavier.
When did basketball become a zero dum game ? He has size and athleticism. Possibly even rim protection. ability If he can come in give us some good hard minutes in matchups that have been a problem for us then he is a keeper .
Georgetown will be a great test for him . Karaban got his lunch eaten in the first game ,exposing a weakness that other teams have tried to exploit .
If was a starter or not is irrelevant. It appears he was in the rotation before the injury . Unless he is hurt then there is no reason he wouldn’t be in the rotation again .

Last edited:

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
He had a nice little hook shot from in close the last game, was nice to see that in the arsenal.

I'd think we'll see a few minutes in the GT game but he didn't get much in DePaul even at the end so not sure what's up.

Reaction Score
Last night 5 minutes, 1 rebound 2 points but he looked good. I think he can be valuable on the offensive glass and with putbacks.
Since Sanogo plays with his back to the basket so much OR ‘s are harder to come by. A big 4 crashing the boards could be just what the Dr ordered.
ps : that’s one reason I wanted Sanogo to work on his face up game because In a better position with his strenght he could’ve been a force.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

What a load of uninformed nonsense. Just pure crap.

Reaction Score
Playing against Akok is a great matchup. IMO. Not someone who will kill you inside. Just play solid D and rebound. Definitely a good game to make get into the flow.

Reaction Score
@jibsey I think your logic is pretty sound. If he was able to actually help the team, and he is cleared to play, he would've gotten minutes. I can't imagine a scenario where Hurley thinks this guy can really give us a lift but chooses to sit him.
This is the same coach that chose to play Clingan 7 minutes and Sanogo 35 in the last game that we lost.

Reaction Score
We’ve seen so little, the next 30 minutes of court as long as it’s not garbage time will tell us a lot. We know he can jump and rebound.

Reaction Score
Funny no one’s opinion is right or wrong he’s very much an unknown thus far. Potential is a wonderful thing, or it’s not.

No matter we know Alex is very good at most things but needs a break or 2 so let’s see. Could be a good match up today to grab a few minutes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’m not sure anyone expected Karaban to look like a borderline All Conference dude this season either. That has surely stalled the urgency in getting Samson going.
There are still people saying Karaban is a glaring weakness on our team

Edited to add: I am not one of them

That's a helluva border if you think Karaban is borderline all conference this season.

His offense has been real nice with the shooting and passing but he has gotten beat up on D several games. He just isn't strong enough yet to battle strong 4's straight up for 25 minutes. No shame in that for a frosh.

Defending the 4 is crucial in BE because of the quantity of high level players at that spot and also Sanogo not being able to help out.

Karaban has been the weakest Husky relative to his peer group in the BE. BE is stacked at the 4 spot. But, he is still good and will continue to improve and by his JR and SR years will be a major weapon.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
What a load of uninformed nonsense. Just pure crap.
Of course you’d say that because you’ve been kissing the kids feet since he committed, but it’s actually not nonsense. He hasn’t shown he can do anything but score at the rim in games. Plus while we’re on the topic, you were wrong the whole offseason… he’s not in Karaban’s league despite you banging your fists on the table saying Johnson was better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom