Samson Johnson Blurb | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Samson Johnson Blurb

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I mean at some point you’re living in denial if you look at that 29 minute number and think his ankles were about to fall off. We coulda rested him against Stonehill with no worries, instead we increased his role because our starter went down early. That’s the reality of what happened.

And just to be clear, obviously I think Alex would’ve outplayed Samson and earned the starting spot anyways. But people ignoring the positive practice reports surrounding Samson, but thinking he was only borrowing the starting spot from Alex until he was “healthy” based on the same practice reports are strange.

No one is ignoring positive practice reports.

It's the lack of Johnson's in-game production that is cause for heavily guarded optimism.

Samson started over Karaban because Karaban had been nursing an injury and didn't have as much practice time or preparation as Johnson did leading in to scrimmages and early season games.

It is impossible to argue had Karaban been fully healthy throughout preseason he would have started because it didn't happen and no one knows.

What we all know is at not point next season is Johnson taking minutes from Karaban or Clingan. AK and DC will play every minute they are healthy and able. Johnson will back them up and get a chance to play up to 25 mpg.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
All the major backup big man minutes are his to start the season. If he's as good as the staff says he is, then I say give him a lot of time early in the season. He's bought in and he's showed the program his loyalty, time to give him his part of the deal

Let him play through mistakes and only keep him on the bench if he consistently proves that he doesn't belong on the court (I'm 99% sure that won't be the case). On paper, him and Singare should be a really fun duo to watch if AK/Clingan both have to sit. Offensively challenged for sure, but two really long and athletic bigs that should own the paint. Of course this would only be in small minute spurts
Singare is a project and will get very few minutes this year.

Above quotes and many others remind me that DH has always stated that game minutes are won in practice. So all speculation and helpful advice should be tempered by that fact. A player having won game minutes in practice still has to demonstrate he can produce on the floor to some degree.

I think DH made a change last year when he expanded the minutes of the bench instead of playing only a seven man rotation as was his style. The bench which was so deep just came in and demoralized and demolished the opposition. I am confident that he will continue to look at this option because we are again so deep though less experienced. We can be sure Samson will be given ample time on the floor because he has been a good practice player and obviously has a lot of talent. If he blossoms this year this team will be devastating.

As far as Singare we are going to need help on the boards and defensive pressure in the paint. Sanogo's leav leaving is a big hole in the post when Donavan is not in there. I think Singare will be a dominating presence defensively and will open a few eyes. He's got a chip on his shoulder.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Singare is a project and will get very few minutes this year.

Above quotes and many others remind me that DH has always stated that game minutes are won in practice. So all speculation and helpful advice should be tempered by that fact. A player having won game minutes in practice still has to demonstrate he can produce on the floor to some degree.

I think DH made a change last year when he expanded the minutes of the bench instead of playing only a seven man rotation as was his style. The bench which was so deep just came in and demoralized and demolished the opposition. I am confident that he will continue to look at this option because we are again so deep though less experienced. We can be sure Samson will be given ample time on the floor because he has been a good practice player and obviously has a lot of talent. If he blossoms this year this team will be devastating.

As far as Singare we are going to need help on the boards and defensive pressure in the paint. Sanogo's leav leaving is a big hole in the post when Donavan is not in there. I think Singare will be a dominating presence defensively and will open a few eyes. He's got a chip on his shoulder.
I don’t see why if Singare gets minutes he can’t have an Amida Brimah role.

Having both him and Samson can help against teams like Xavier too. Could use the extra size at the 4 and 5 against that matchup.

Reaction Score
I have faith that Johnson and Singare will both prove capable vs certain matchups and vs other non-starting posts. I fear they will both be eaten alive when Clingan goes to the bench with 2 fouls and the opponent's starter is still in the game. Dickinson, Bacot, Soriano, Kalkbrenner, Hutchins-Everett, ... It is going to happen and could be for lots of first half minutes. I really wish we had pushed for another frontcourt player with defensive bulk as an option. Give me a Ngongba reclass to 2023 for our last roster spot and all is well. Still short on experience but a different style matchup choice. Has the 6'11 265lb center from (UMass?) found a home yet?

Reaction Score
I never said Karaban sat out the SINGLE GAME Samson started in his place.

Right, but you said he was nursing an ankle injury. If he was nursing an ankle injury why did he play? If he was better during the off-season why not start him and limit his mins? The other starters that game (except Alleyne who replaced an actual injured Jackson) started the rest of the year.

Not trying to start an argument but you need to give Samson credit for earning the starting spot. Karaban even mentioned that Samson won the starting spot during his interviews with @gwhuskyfan.

Reaction Score
I hope I'm wrong, but it feels like Samson is on the Richie Springs path of maybe this is the break out year. There were many games this year where both came in for garbage minutes. And that's all I saw. Was garbage. Sorry I can't jump aboard the hype train. And Would luv to be wrong about him....

Has anyone who ever started a post with “hope I’m wrong” actually hoped they were wrong?

Reaction Score
Has anyone who ever started a post with “hope I’m wrong” actually hoped they were wrong?
I do think "hope I'm wrong" is a legitimate way to make a prediction, but show it's not personal. I, personally, tend to keep negative predictions off message boards (except for a few hot takes that I usually regret). But I've had some negative thoughts about players/game results in the past that I think are reasonably thought out... but I hope that they don't come true.

All that said, if someone starts off with "no offense," you should just preemptively tell them to ___ themselves because you know what's coming. Constructive criticism never starts with "no offense."

Regarding Samson? I think he could have potential at the 4, but has a lot of work to do to play the 5. But I hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
I am extremely skeptical that Singare will be able to give us minutes out of the gate, leaving SJ as the only backup center. There will be tons of available minutes. DC did a great job staying out of foul trouble but will that remain the case when his minutes double? A quick 2 charges early in the 1st? It’s not just that there are potential minutes for Samson. There are games when we will need him for 30 minutes. And I think he will be much more suited as a college C than PF.
I hope Singare is way more teady. We need all the depth at center and PF to help us win another championship.

Reaction Score
I have faith that Johnson and Singare will both prove capable vs certain matchups and vs other non-starting posts. I fear they will both be eaten alive when Clingan goes to the bench with 2 fouls and the opponent's starter is still in the game. Dickinson, Bacot, Soriano, Kalkbrenner, Hutchins-Everett, ... It is going to happen and could be for lots of first half minutes. I really wish we had pushed for another frontcourt player with defensive bulk as an option. Give me a Ngongba reclass to 2023 for our last roster spot and all is well. Still short on experience but a different style matchup choice. Has the 6'11 265lb center from (UMass?) found a home yet?

I’ve seen enough from our staff that I trust their roster construction and development abilities. Trust the process and stop worrying and fearing. Enjoy the ride!!!

Reaction Score
I hope I'm wrong, but it feels like Samson is on the Richie Springs path of maybe this is the break out year. There were many games this year where both came in for garbage minutes. And that's all I saw. Was garbage. Sorry I can't jump aboard the hype train. And Would luv to be wrong about him....
Johnson's ceiling is much, much higher than Springs. What's concerning is that his floor is around the same. We will see.

Reaction Score
I think Singare will have some impact as a freshman, on both ends of the floor. He's athletic and 7' tall, plus he will be practicing against Clingan every day.
I know he's still very raw, but he's actually been pretty effective in EYBL by just getting up and down the court with urgency and putting himself in the right spots. Also, like another center from Mali that was here recently, he has been praised consistently for his work ethic. Singare also said that Sanogo was like a "big brother" and hopefully that'll help him acclimate a little bit quicker. I think being so raw and not having the skillset to play the 4 yet will really limit his minutes, but he does bring something different than Samson in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Good thought. I hope this is another offensive look we can throw at them. My only small concern is can he translate gym 3's and production to game production.
Side note: one of the more frustrating aspects of being a fan: hearing a coach/media comment on how good a person looks in practice and seeing very little of that in-game. (
I hope hes not related to Antric Klaiber.

Reaction Score
We won’t see it this year, but Singare also has a nice looking shot.

Hes impressed me far more than Sampson has. Singare looks like a guy who with a little time in the weight room and some good coaching can really turn into something special.

Reaction Score
Hes impressed me far more than Sampson has. Singare looks like a guy who with a little time in the weight room and some good coaching can really turn into something special.

I see a lot of Brimah here but with the ability to put it on the floor just a little now, and shoot it a little. Good news is he can come in and take his time, learn without being thrown into the fire. The question is will he understand and be able to put the details of his position into play on the floor.

Reaction Score
Now is Samson's chance to be remembered as a player who mattered to this program. I think we generally know about what we're going to get out of everyone but the freshman (ish). If Samson can be a capable backup at the 4/5, our ceiling is championship high. We saw the value of a capable second unit last season.
Wishful thinking here, but for some reason I can see him having a Hilton Armstrong type UConn career, where he really came on strong in his last couple years (and eventually played himself into the NBA.) Turning himself into a draft pick would be amazing, but I would be happy if he just has a productive last 2 years.

Reaction Score
i know this argument has been beaten to death. But you do realize Alex played 28 minutes in that game, right? He was healthy enough to start if he earned it.
When Andre was coming back from injury last year he played 27 and 33 minutes off the bench in his last 2 games before starting. Hurley plays guys big minutes off the bench when they are coming back from injury.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
My take is I trust Hurley. I have not seen it with my eyes but if DH wanted him back that is good enough for me. If he plays anywhere near a first player off the bench type he becomes the X factor. I really think the issue with SJ was confidence not only about his game but his foot. Foot injuries can be tough and I am not certain even though the docs cleared him he ever felt good about it, mix that with trying to chase AK down, who we know was getting better game by game it was the perfect storm. I have said this in an earlier post. We will know by 5 to 6 games in what version of SJ we will have for the year. Personally I am rooting for him big time. It would be a great story.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom