Samson Johnson Blurb | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Samson Johnson Blurb

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The version of Samson that can shoot 3s is benching somebody, and leaving as a first round pick. I don’t think anyone realizes how absurd it would be.

But I’m guessing he settles into a versatile defensive role, and uses his length and athleticism to be a vertical threat in some capacity. An effective reserve, that shows enough to start as a senior.

Reaction Score
The version of Samson that can shoot 3s is benching somebody, and leaving as a first round pick. I don’t think anyone realizes how absurd it would be.

But I’m guessing he settles into a versatile defensive role, and uses his length and athleticism to be a vertical threat in some capacity. An effective reserve, that shows enough to start as a senior.
Dion Waiters 6th Man to top 5 pick track. ;)

Reaction Score
Hurley will find ways to use Samson. Let's not forget that in addition to Hawkins, Samson was the best player in the UVA scrimmage. He also earned the starting PF spot over Karaban last year.
I didn't say he would play. I just said he will be playing more of the 4 and the 5 than the 3.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Maybe my age-addled mind is just screwing with me for fun, but I have it in the back of my head (might be a real memory, might just be a misremembrance) that it was Johnson that the staff was scouting when Kimani 'discovered' Adama, who wasn't even ranked until he signed with UConn, then settled in at 87 or thereabouts, while Samson was ranked in the 50s at the time.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don’t think Dan begs a non talented player, who’s outside the rotation to stay. What happened with his injury was tragic for his timeline, but I still believe Samson was gonna be a key peice of a championship rotation had he stayed healthy, and would be a major breakout candidate heading into this season. I think we’re getting 2 very solid years out of him coming up.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Maybe my age-addled mind is just screwing with me for fun, but I have it in the back of my head (might be a real memory, might just be a misremembrance) that it was Johnson that the staff was scouting when Kimani 'discovered' Adama, who wasn't even ranked until he signed with UConn, then settled in at 87 or thereabouts, while Samson was ranked in the 50s at the time.
I think it was the other way around. I remember being impressed by Johnson while watching Sanogo, and being surprised how low his ranking was before it subsequently went up.

Reaction Score
I don’t care at all if he can shoot threes. Three goals for whatever mpg is needed to give Clingan a blow:

• anchor the second team defense without fouling anywhere near as often as he does
  • rebound particularly on the offensive end
  • set good screens and finish at the rim in the pick and roll

If he does the above three at an above average level it should be considered a wildly successful season for him. Anything else is gravy

Reaction Score
Hurley will find ways to use Samson. Let's not forget that in addition to Hawkins, Samson was the best player in the UVA scrimmage. He also earned the starting PF spot over Karaban last year.
Is this narrative still floating around? He was the starting 4 last year because Alex was nursing a minor ankle injury.

Reaction Score
I really want a huge rise from Samson like we saw with Whaley. When we got Samson I said he had “huskies of honor” potential so I feel connected to him.

Always will be a fan of his even if he never blossoms how I hope

Reaction Score
This Samson thing will go on and on until we see him play some meaningful minutes. He gets the benefit of doubt and the chance to do it but if Hurley didn't believe in him he wouldn't have stayed, pretty sure. 3 months at least till we all find out.

Reaction Score
i know this argument has been beaten to death. But you do realize Alex played 28 minutes in that game, right? He was healthy enough to start if he earned it.
Fully aware. Karaban actually played 29 minutes in that first games vs Stonehill. Know why? Samson picked up two fouls in less than three minutes to begin the game. Hurley wanted to hold him back, but was forced to play him more minutes. So you can keep beating the argument to death. Have at it. From our pal Gavin Keefe in The Day:
E29D4CDD-6E28-47FC-A561-83FF73ACF2F8.jpeg

Reaction Score
Is this narrative still floating around? He was the starting 4 last year because Alex was nursing a minor ankle injury.
Karaban didn’t sit out the games that Samson started.

Reaction Score
Forgive me if this is already common knowledge, but is Samson fluent in english? I know being from Togo french is his first language, but I don’t know if i’ve ever heard him speak, so was just curious.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Fully aware. Karaban actually played 29 minutes in that first games vs Stonehill. Know why? Samson picked up two fouls in less than three minutes to begin the game. Hurley wanted to hold him back, but was forced to play him more minutes. So you can keep beating the argument to death. Have at it. From our pal Gavin Keefe in The Day:
View attachment 90025
I mean at some point you’re living in denial if you look at that 29 minute number and think his ankles were about to fall off. We coulda rested him against Stonehill with no worries, instead we increased his role because our starter went down early. That’s the reality of what happened.

And just to be clear, obviously I think Alex would’ve outplayed Samson and earned the starting spot anyways. But people ignoring the positive practice reports surrounding Samson, but thinking he was only borrowing the starting spot from Alex until he was “healthy” based on the same practice reports are strange.

Reaction Score
I mean at some point you’re living in denial if you look at that 29 minute number and think his ankles were about to fall off. We coulda rested him against Stonehill with no worries, instead we increased his role because our starter went down early. That’s the reality of what happened.

And just to be clear, obviously I think Alex would’ve outplayed Samson and earned the starting spot anyways. But people ignoring the positive practice reports surrounding Samson, but thinking he was only borrowing the starting spot from Alex until he was “healthy” based on the same practice reports are strange.
“His ankles were about to fall off” you say? Did you see the part of my post where I said Karaban was nursing a minor ankle injury? Clearly, reading comprehension is not your specialty. And I’m quite confident that I know I’m right on this one. My last post on this issue. No need to say more.

Reaction Score

As are the people ignoring all of Hurley's public comments about how Karaban was going to be the starter until Samson was injured. It makes zero sense how people still don't understand this

Reaction Score
I hope I'm wrong, but it feels like Samson is on the Richie Springs path of maybe this is the break out year. There were many games this year where both came in for garbage minutes. And that's all I saw. Was garbage. Sorry I can't jump aboard the hype train. And Would luv to be wrong about him....

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
As are the people ignoring all of Hurley's public comments about how Karaban was going to be the starter until Samson was injured. It makes zero sense how people still don't understand this
I don’t remember any pre season comments from Dan about Karaban starting, but feel free to refresh my memory if you have it.

Reaction Score
I don’t remember any pre season comments from Dan about Karaban starting, but feel free to refresh my memory if you have it.

None of it matters there’s no way in hell Alex wasn’t winning and keeping that job anyway. The freshman usually begins behind the heir apparent so I’m guessing they were planning on getting some confidence into Samsons mind heading into the season.

Again a lot to prove but he would be quite a story if he becomes a big piece. He hung around that’s a good start now let’s root for him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom