Samir Doughty redux (VCU Transfer) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Samir Doughty redux (VCU Transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To re-iterate what I said yesterday in another thread, I'm of the opinion that this program needs to move away from transfers as a general rule. This kid looks like a perfectly good player, but this is still UConn and there is no sense in applying a depressed standard to our future classes when the Chillious hire indicates the opposite. There are a million kids like him, and while they are necessary, you'd prefer that they be developed through the system from day one. If we can find a major talent on the transfer market like Larrier, great. Otherwise, we need to be building through the high school ranks. There are simply too many fundamental advantages to doing it that way.

That would be fine if UConn recruited full classes, and then retained those players. However, when you have a few years with only two recruits in a class, and then lose both of them (as with this year's senior class), something needs to be done to catch up. Given the losses after this year, we can probably expect more of this scrambling to fill out the roster in the future - at least until things stabilize.

Reaction Score
Come on. Kid averaged 9/3/2 on not-terrible shooting splits as a freshman for a team that won 26 games.

If there are a million kids like him out there, I'd like about 8 of them to spend the next four years in Storrs, Ct. please.

Hey, I could be wrong. I know nothing about him aside from the information presented, and typically he's the type of player I love college basketball for. Under the radar kid from Philly with some game who can kick a McDonald's all-American's ass on any given night. If he transfers to say, Temple, I wouldn't be at all shocked to see him lead them to an AAC title at our expense. When you can put up those numbers in a damn good league as a freshman, it means you can play.

But talent is still important, so while there is something to be said for actual production superseding recruiting rank (see Vital, Christian), it's still relevant to how we extrapolate their abilities as players into skills that fit the system. For instance, we know he can score. But can he do it at an efficient rate against length and athleticism? Can he spot up? How about defense? What's his wingspan? Is he tall enough to play alongside Gilbert or is he a tweener who's not a good enough play maker to play the point and not big enough to play the two?

I admittedly don't know the answer to these questions, but I also don't think you build a team by opening the wallets for any decent player that hits the market, because - and this has been one of the points I have made relentlessly - it's all about fitting a prototype, and to me, this dude is more of a #1 or #2 option on a seven seed than he is a guy that helps you win a championship off the bench.

I don't expect us to win championships, but I expect us to give ourselves the chance to win one. Our head coach and our associate head coach are paid to do that, and with the ever-important 2018 class looming and nobody guaranteed to graduate, I'd rather not tie up a ship for a year on a low ceiling player that will be free to bolt after one season. If he could play immediately, that's a different story. I'm opposed to stashing players unless they are can't miss types.

Reaction Score
Has Chillious done anything yet or is he just another Ollie friend to warm the bench?

What is he supposed to have done this early? I mean can we have some patience. He's come into an obvious situation where there is some weight on his shoulders to assist KO in returning UConn to the kids living rooms and having them look at our program again. He just left the other Huskies and now is telling these kids he now has a better program than he did when he started recruiting them. What are they to think?

Give him time, don't you think he knew the challenge of coming in a time we lost a lot of games and a lot of respect for various reasons? I mean he will work a plan change some focus like a good sales guy and make things work but it may take time. Damn people are unreasonable and so far from reality some time.

Reaction Score
What is he supposed to have done this early? I mean can we have some patience. He's come into an obvious situation where there is some weight on his shoulders to assist KO in returning UConn to the kids living rooms and having them look at our program again. He just left the other Huskies and now is telling these kids he now has a better program than he did when he started recruiting them. What are they to think?

Give him time, don't you think he knew the challenge of coming in a time we lost a lot of games and a lot of respect for various reasons? I mean he will work a plan change some focus like a good sales guy and make things work but it may take time. Damn people are unreasonable and so far from reality some time.
Just frustration.

Reaction Score
Wow, would be a great get to land this guy, what a great looking basketball player.

pj

Reaction Score

@D$, looks like your original post was removed. I hope the staff is familiar with whatever issues your source brought up.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
I know Samir will have to sit, but this is a must get, I don't think people realize how much upside this kid has.

Please lock him down on the visit, one time, one time.

I'm hoping we get him badly. Perfect scenario that he's got to sit really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom