Samir Doughty redux (VCU Transfer) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Samir Doughty redux (VCU Transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't know enough about him to judge but we can't fill our roster with mediocre players just to have "bodies." We can have a few mediocre players (and we do) but we have to recruit top talent if we are going to win even if we only sign 1 out of 20.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
When I saw he transferred, a VCU fan said "I don't understand. He was going to be a star." They thought highly of him. I would definitely welcome his addition to the team, however, given that he had left due to possible academic mishaps, I don't know if UConn will even be a compatible match.

Reaction Score
Yea I would pass. We need to hold those scholarships for Cam Reddish and AJ Reeves. Oh, and Mo Bamba.
I was getting ready to jump all over this post before i saw bamba and realized your sarcasm lol

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If we get Moretti, then I'd pass. We would have plenty of guard depth. I'd like to make a big push to bring in freshmen next year.

Reaction Score
If we sign this kid now, it means we can be much less desperate in 2018 and 2019 recruiting.

Let's pretend we get both the Italian kid and the big Cornell postgrad as well as Doughty, and that both Jalen & Larrier leave after next year because they led us to our sixth final four. This is what our roster would look like heading into 2018/19:

PG: Alterique (RS-So), Doughty (RS-So)
SG: Vital (Jr), Moretti (So)
SF: Polley (So)
PF: Diarra (RS-So), Whaley (So)
C: Cobb (Sr), Carlton (So)

That would make the 2018 class "let's add to our already balanced core" instead of "oh god oh god we have holes everywhere and have to offer every kid under the sun!"

And I can't stress this enough: We know Doughty can play college ball. Fine, he's not gonna be the next Kemba – who gives a s&*#? We don't just need Kembas, we need guys who can soak up minutes in two or three different spots while not tripping over their d^#&s. This kid can do that.

The only way we should say "no thanks" is if he's the next Nate Miles. Barring that... get him on campus, let him learn for a year, and then get him on the court in 2018.
If that roster doesn't scare you then I don't know what to say. Altrrique is the only one there with potential star power, and then you've got a lot of role players (very young role players)

The '18 class is so important not for the number of players well likely need to bring in, but the necessity to bring in some true high level talent to be able to carry the teams in subsequent years

Don't mean to bash those guys, because I think a bunch of them will have nice careers here, but they are what they are

pj

Reaction Score
To re-iterate what I said yesterday in another thread, I'm of the opinion that this program needs to move away from transfers as a general rule. This kid looks like a perfectly good player, but this is still UConn and there is no sense in applying a depressed standard to our future classes when the Chillious hire indicates the opposite. There are a million kids like him, and while they are necessary, you'd prefer that they be developed through the system from day one. If we can find a major talent on the transfer market like Larrier, great. Otherwise, we need to be building through the high school ranks. There are simply too many fundamental advantages to doing it that way.

Ordinarily I would agree, but right now we are in the ideal position to accept transfers. We have a solid lineup for 2017-18 but have open roster spots and could use more practice players; for 2018-19 we have ~6 open scholarships and seem to be in poor shape with top targets. A transfer who provides a practice body for 2017-18 and a solid lineup player for 2018-19 is a huge get, and sets us up much better for a killer recruiting class in 2019.

Even if we somehow pull off our top targets in 2018, Iggy and Shittu and Carey or Dort, Doughty would provide quality depth and still play substantial minutes alongside Gilbert, Vital, Carey or Dort. I don't see the downside here.

If that roster doesn't scare you then I don't know what to say. Altrrique is the only one there with potential star power, and then you've got a lot of role players (very young role players)

The '18 class is so important not for the number of players well likely need to bring in, but the necessity to bring in some true high level talent to be able to carry the teams in subsequent years

Don't mean to bash those guys, because I think a bunch of them will have nice careers here, but they are what they are

You have to do risk management. After missing on many top targets, you can't assume a lot of top targets will come in 2018, and if you gamble on that and lose, the program is in deep trouble. Whereas the lineup Matrim posted is a competitive one, with the potential to reach the NCAA tourney if guys develop, and a young lineup. Add in a few studs in 2019 and it returns to the top 25.

Reaction Score
Let's do a little blind test.

Player A:

Stats on VCU as a Freshman, team went 26-10.

6.6ppg 3.0rpg 0.6apg 0.5steals 26.2% from 3 34.3% from the field.

Player B:

Stats on VCU as a freshman, team went 26-9.

9.0ppg 3.6rpg 2.1apg 0.9steals 28.4% from three 40.9% from the field.

A is Larrier B is Doughty. Just because he wasn't highly ranked as a high school player doesn't mean he can't be great in college. Best example of this is Shamet on Wichita who is going to become our worst nightmare for the next few years.
Our worst nightmare won't be Shamet. Please, our worst nightmare is our empty cupboard.

Reaction Score
You have to do risk management. After missing on many top targets, you can't assume a lot of top targets will come in 2018, and if you gamble on that and lose, the program is in deep trouble. Whereas the lineup Matrim posted is a competitive one, with the potential to reach the NCAA tourney if guys develop, and a young lineup. Add in a few studs in 2019 and it returns to the top 25.
I'm not assuming we'll get top targets, I'm saying we need to. Another recruiting cycle and/or round of defections like we saw this year sets the program back much more than a year

I understand it's easier said than done to reel in the high level talent, but at some point to remain a perennial top 25 team we have to (that or KO has to reach JC level coaching ability)

And you are way more optimistic than me to think a roster of role playing sophomores will make the tourney

pj

Reaction Score
It's OK to alternative good and mediocre years. If we can have a strong 2017-18, be competitive in 2018-19, and reel in a strong 2019 class and have a great 2019 team, KO's reputation will be re-established. It takes time to build.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
To re-iterate what I said yesterday in another thread, I'm of the opinion that this program needs to move away from transfers as a general rule. This kid looks like a perfectly good player, but this is still UConn and there is no sense in applying a depressed standard to our future classes when the Chillious hire indicates the opposite. There are a million kids like him, and while they are necessary, you'd prefer that they be developed through the system from day one. If we can find a major talent on the transfer market like Larrier, great. Otherwise, we need to be building through the high school ranks. There are simply too many fundamental advantages to doing it that way.

I don't know if you didn't read above but this kid put up bigger numbers at VCU than Larrier. This kid can play, as you can see in the tape. We need to go get guys like this because they can help us in the future.

Reaction Score
When I saw he transferred, a VCU fan said "I don't understand. He was going to be a star." They thought highly of him. I would definitely welcome his addition to the team, however, given that he had left due to possible academic mishaps, I don't know if UConn will even be a compatible match.
From what I can gather it wasn't academic or legally related. Seemed like either a difference of opinion or a personal reason

Reaction Score
Because he redshirted his freshman year, Doughty cannot redshirt this year. He'll be sit one, play two.

Reaction Score
Because he redshirted his freshman year, Doughty cannot redshirt this year. He'll be sit one, play two.

Was the redshirt injury related or developmental?

Reaction Score
If we sign this kid now, it means we can be much less desperate in 2018 and 2019 recruiting.

Let's pretend we get both the Italian kid and the big Cornell postgrad as well as Doughty, and that both Jalen & Larrier leave after next year because they led us to our sixth final four. This is what our roster would look like heading into 2018/19:

PG: Alterique (RS-So), Doughty (RS-So)
SG: Vital (Jr), Moretti (So)
SF: Polley (So)
PF: Diarra (RS-So), Whaley (So)
C: Cobb (Sr), Carlton (So)

That would make the 2018 class "let's add to our already balanced core" instead of "oh god oh god we have holes everywhere and have to offer every kid under the sun!"

And I can't stress this enough: We know Doughty can play college ball. Fine, he's not gonna be the next Kemba – who gives a s&*#? We don't just need Kembas, we need guys who can soak up minutes in two or three different spots while not tripping over their d^#&s. This kid can do that.

The only way we should say "no thanks" is if he's the next Nate Miles. Barring that... get him on campus, let him learn for a year, and then get him on the court in 2018.
That roster is frightening. Man, Ollie and Chillious have their work cut out for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom