Same old song and dance. If UConn was valuable then... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Same old song and dance. If UConn was valuable then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow. Now you're going to tell me what my motives are?... Lol. I was joking with you to begin with, but Mr. Serious apparently doesn't have a sense of humor.

Anyway, your existence here has pretty much gone this way: newbie comes here, and within two weeks insults an entire community for actually being fans of the team on whose board he is writing before the introductions to the board are even out of the way, then proceeds to tell me what my personality is, like he programmed me or something. Sorry Dr. Frankenstein but the only person who has lacked any introspect so far in this thread has been you.
1. Never told you what are your own motives. Simply said inability to analyze your own. You have shown it once again.
2. Thanks for the summary.
3. Are you planning on making a point relevant to the thread itself?

Reaction Score
Honest question, if you don't think we're going to be in a new conference, what are you doing on this board?
I did several weeks prior. I had high hopes as I do believe that, although UConn is not a perfect candidate right now, we will be in the future if selected into a P5 given the resources and how well we did when we were a part of the Big East. But I don't think it is productive to continue with pointing fingers in any other direction but our own. We need to improve upon what we have (aka we need a big name football coach - there is no time to slowly build a program - never know when the next conference is going to look to expand) rather than continuing to blame others. It's easy to say, "Louisville got lucky because of timing." Well we need to put ourselves in that position to become "lucky."

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I do have to admit that there must be some truth to that sentiment. Emotionally, we see UConn as a good fit in a P5 conference. But realistically, if it made financial sense to the P5s, we would already be in one. No questions asked.
There are multiple reasons why this line of thinking falls apart:

• There are grandfathered P5 schools that have no business being P5 schools. The P5 conferences weren't formed via fantasy draft where every program was on the table, or we would be P5 right now.
  • There isn't any defined metric system of what makes a candidate "P5 Caliber". Teams get added for markets (Rutgers), recent athletic success (Louisville), politics (Syracuse, Pitt), geography, recruiting footprint, etc. All indications are UConn is right up there on the candidate list for the ACC, Big 12, maybe even the Big 10. But we weren't #1 in the specific categories that these conferences were looking for at that time.
  • Whether or not an add makes financial sense can't be 100% known ahead of time. Additions have to be made largely on potential. Now that the P5 lines are drawn and TV contracts are in place, expansion with any team is going to cost money up front (except for the Big 12, but the Big 12 apparently has no idea what they're doing). Given everything we've looked at over the course of this CR mess, UConn brings not only that potential for the future, but solid numbers today. That's more than a lot of other candidates can say.
  • Financials aside, I'm sure conferences want to make their fans happy and excited about any potential addition. This is where our football absolutely has hurt us. Adding UConn makes sense financially to at least a couple of different conferences. But taking our football program is a tough pill to swallow, and lowers the profile of any league that would have us.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
1. Never told you what are your own motives. Simply said inability to analyze your own. You have shown it once again.
2. Thanks for the summary.
3. Are you planning on making a point relevant to the thread itself?

You're a joke. Someone tries to tell you in a joking way that your opinion is contrary to 100s of others here and this is the direction you choose to take the thread? All you had to say in response to my original post was "guess I better wear a fire proof suit" or "hope someone is nearby with a water bucket" or something joking back and this thread would never have happened. But instead you chose to play internet tough guy, and now, with your last post, internet police. Congrats. Just one question for you...
why_so_serious__by_tyrite.jpg

Reaction Score
Honest question, if you don't think we're going to be in a new conference, what are you doing on this board?

Trolling, I would assume. I put him on ignore.

Not every troll needs a response - people are just playing into their hands and giving them what they want.

Reaction Score
And I'm not a troll - just a frustrated fan who thinks it's time to open our eyes to the fact that we aren't in a P5 and are unlikely to join one in the foreseeable future. Rather than continually blaming others (a trend seen on this board all the time and anywhere else you find UConn fans), it's time to look a thing the faults in our own candidacy. Everyone on here reads the most recent article regarding expansion, and while most if not all are extremely vague (as they must be due to the NDA), they persistently say "this most recent one screams UConn to me!!!"

"a trend seen on this board all the time and anywhere else you find UConn fans...." Interesting that you would be so annoyed by Uconn fans and yet you seek them out, tell them how annoying they are, and then claim to be one. Hmmmmm.

Reaction Score
Ironically, the lack of the ability to analyze one's own motives and deficiencies. Seems like the move from 57 to 60 was justified.

Is this guy really pretending he's a UConn fan? Go back to the Memphis board, troll.

Reaction Score
Is this guy really pretending he's a UConn fan? Go back to the Memphis board, troll.
Born and raised in West Hartford, CT. Have been a UConn fan my entire life. There's a difference between a fan and a homer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I do have to admit that there must be some truth to that sentiment. Emotionally, we see UConn as a good fit in a P5 conference. But realistically, if it made financial sense to the P5s, we would already be in one. No questions asked.

Actually that's a logical fallacy that can be used to support any flawed premise. Pre-Wright brothers, one could argue that if man we meant to fly, he'd have already done so. Since man hadn't flown, man could never fly. So there isn't really any truth to that sentiment, but it is a common flawed thought process.

For your further edification:

Circular reasoning
Circular reasoning is a logical fallacy in which the reasoner begins with what they are trying to end with. The components of a circular argument are often logically valid because if the premises are true, the conclusion must be true.​

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually that's a logical fallacy that can be used to support any flawed premise. Pre-Wright brothers, one could argue that if man we meant to fly, he'd have already done. Since man hadn't flown, man could never fly. So there isn't really any truth to that sentiment, but it is a common flawed thought process.

Lol. Good effort. But this applies only if man were to fly without the aid of an airplane. This is the result of an advance in technology...nothing more.

CL82

Reaction Score
Lol. Good effort. But this applies only if man were to fly without the aid of an airplane. This is the result of an advance in technology...nothing more.

The fact that you don't understand this even after it was explained simplistically to you, makes me smile a bit. That is pretty much what we are facing in dealing with the "well if they were P5 worthy they'd be in the P5" mindset.

The notion that "the way things are is the way they'll always be" is the refuge of little minds.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Born and raised in West Hartford, CT. Have been a UConn fan my entire life. There's a difference between a fan and a homer.

A life spanning about 16 years I reckon. Only younglings that haven't lived through the last 15 years of this nonsense (has it really been that long?) would be both a UConn fan and share your opinion.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Sorry for the thread folks, but techsideline and the circular logic (thanks @CL82) that was utilized really pissed me off and since I work from my currently empty home, there was no dog to kick or person to vent to. The Boneyard is all I have until the fam starts arriving home again.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Conveniently people forget that we were in a BCS conference, which, except for the slight rearranging of a couple deck chairs (us, USF, Cincy out, Utah, TCU in), is now the P5.

So if UConn were not meant to be a P5 school, why did we play in a BCS league for a decade? And why do both the ACC and Big Ten consider us a P5 opponent for scheduling purposes?

Reaction Score
Conveniently people forget that we were in a BCS conference, which, except for the slight arranging of a couple deck chairs (us, USF, Cincy out, Utah, TCU in), is now the P5.

So if UConn were not meant to be a P5 school, why did we play in a BCS league for a decade? And why do both the ACC and Big Ten consider us a P5 opponent for scheduling purposes?
Agreed. But it's a different landscape now, with finances (and thus football) taking a much more dominant role in conference realignment. Even those on other boards (namely the VT CR board), acknowledge that the ACC lowered its standards to take UL but they don't seem to care, as the football team brings money (can't really confirm that statement but they seem to believe it) and recognition to the conference.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
If UConn had the resources that a P5 school receives, it would unquestionably be the #2 most valuable athletic program in the Northeast behind PSU.

And all they have is football, so we would be right over their shoulder.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Agreed. But it's a different landscape now, with finances (and thus football) taking a much more dominant role in conference realignment. Even those on other boards (namely the VT CR board), acknowledge that the ACC lowered its standards to take UL but they don't seem to care, as the football team brings money (can't really confirm that statement but they seem to believe it) and recognition to the conference.

We aren't as valuable as Louisville. I can accept that, at least from an athletics perspective. But we are every bit as valuable as 1/3 of the teams already in the P5. It isn't an us vs. Louisville issue. It's an us vs. grandfathered P5 teams issue. Our problem is that it was our conference that got cannonballed and not another league. If it were the ACC that had the same fate, do you think Wake would be in a P5 today? Of course not. We have been the victim of circumstance. If no other additions are made, then until they start kicking out of the club the likes of Wake, Wazzou, Purdue, Northwestern, BCU, etc, there will be more valuable teams on the outside looking in.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Sorry for the thread folks, but techsideline and the circular logic (thanks @CL82) that was utilized really pissed me off and since I work from my currently empty home, there was no dog to kick or person to vent to. The Boneyard is all I have until the fam starts arriving home again.
Next time a goober is wrong on the internet, just let it go.

Reaction Score
As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

UConn fans certainly overrate the school's value, but no one can objectively say they wouldn't be as valuable as the Syracuses and Louisvilles and Pitts of the world. A combination of bad luck, bad timing, and incompetence from past UConn admins and CT politicians has landed us in this position.

UConn is not a must have for P5s, but you have to be a simpleton to believe the "we'd be in a P5 if we were P5-worthy" narrative.

CL82

Reaction Score
If finances were really the issue then UConn is a no-brainer. Our athletic department budget is pretty much at the midpoint of the P5, so that about half the schools in the P5 have smaller athletic department budget than we do. Additionally if you look at our Nike and IMG deals we are among the top schools. Keep in mind that are Nike deal is up for renewal and almost certainly will take a huge leap in value when that happens.

If you are making a metrics based decision, the if you are making a metrics based decision, particularly one based on "finances", then UConn is the obvious choice.

Reaction Score

UConn fans certainly overrate the school's value, but no one can objectively say they wouldn't be as valuable as the Syracuses and Louisvilles and Pitts of the world. A combination of bad luck, bad timing, and incompetence from past UConn admins and CT politicians has landed us in this position.

UConn is not a must have for P5s, but you have to be a simpleton to believe the "we'd be in a P5 if we were P5-worthy" narrative.
Exactly. However, a team like ND (if they decided to no longer be independent in football and weren't forced to join the ACC) wouldn't last for a second in the shadows during realignment. They would receive invites from just about every P5, begging them to join. There would be no question as to whether or not they are "P5 caliber." So there is some truth to both sides. It's important to acknowledge that.

CL82

Reaction Score

You'd think that Connecticut fans would overate our strengths and undervalue our weaknesses, but it far too often is just the opposite. It amazes me how often Connecticut fans, this board pretty much excluded, have no idea of the strength of our brand

Last edited:

MattMang23

Reaction Score
You'd think that Connecticut fans would overate our strengths and undervalue our weaknesses, but it far too often is just the opposite. It amazes me how often Connecticut fans, this board pretty much excluded, have no idea here of the strength of our brand

It's the Nutmegger inferiority complex at work again.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You'd think that Connecticut fans would overate our strengths and undervalue our weaknesses, but it far too often is just the opposite. It amazes me how often Connecticut fans, this board pretty much excluded, have no idea of the strength of our brand

Contrast to Memphis fans: "But we've had two good football seasons (ever)". "We haven't broken NCAA recruiting rules lately, even though our basketball is now meh as a result". "We're close to being ranked on USNWR in the next several years if we work hard". "Our crappy old football stadium is going to be renovated and it will blow your new one away!". "There's a big company in Memphis, nobody else has that!". "We're in a great market...even though it's actually a small city dominated by two SEC schools".

I think those of us here know full well our strengths and weaknesses. What we don't know, and can't know, and nobody knows, is what specific things the conference presidents are looking for. What specific things do they over and under value? Do they, like FSU and Clemson did, want a school with a distinct southern football culture?

CL82

Reaction Score
What people seem to ignore is that we are a horrific fit for the Big 12 in a lot ways, geography and football culture being the the two biggest. Yet we are frequently mentioned as a top candidate for a league we have no business joining. Think there is a reason (multiple reasons actually) for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom