Safe to Say 1 Player is Returning | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Safe to Say 1 Player is Returning

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't get all this love for Cobb.

Players who positioned themselves as adversaries of Ollie tend to experience upticks in popularity. See Jalen after cussing him out at halftime of the Temple game in February of 2016.

Reaction Score
He’s much taller than Adrien. I see a Roy Hibbert type without the jumper at this point. Soft hands, can put the ball in the hoop, potential to develop with his back to the basket. I’d love to see him be a threat from 15’ or more.

Where is he hiding his other 7 inches of height then? If Carlton was 6'11" I'd be all on board with him being a gem we need to keep. He's 6'9" and not all that jumpy or athletic. He did show some signs of skill at scoring around the basket, but he's only 6'9"... If Hurley is the guy and he has some skilled dudes with some height in for URI next season, bring them on and good luck with your future Carlton. We need taller dudes than 6'9", bottom line

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Where is he hiding his other 7 inches of height then? If Carlton was 6'11" I'd be all on board with him being a gem we need to keep. He's 6'9" and not all that jumpy or athletic. He did show some signs of skill at scoring around the basket, but he's only 6'9"... If Hurley is the guy and he has some skilled dudes with some height in for URI next season, bring them on and good luck with your future Carlton. We need taller dudes than 6'9", bottom line

you don't need 7 footers to win. But yeah he's a lot less bouncy than what we are used to.

Reaction Score
you don't need 7 footers to win. But yeah he's a lot less bouncy than what we are used to.
but I still want 1 guy who is at least a solid 6'10", or a skinny long tall dude to block shots a la Brimah. If Carlton was built like Cobb, I'm on board, but he's not big, not athletic, not long... not indispensable to me

Reaction Score
Who can jump

Reaction Score
but I still want 1 guy who is at least a solid 6'10", or a skinny long tall dude to block shots a la Brimah. If Carlton was built like Cobb, I'm on board, but he's not big, not athletic, not long... not indispensable to me

I agree with the Carlton thoughts but I said something similar earlier and got a warning from a moderator to “stop trashing players.” So sensitive.

Reaction Score
I agree with the Carlton thoughts but I said something similar earlier and got a warning from a moderator to “stop trashing players.” So sensitive.
Yeah its odd, and I liked Carlton, but just voicing my reasons for not seeing him as someone we really need to hang on to. We definitely need more height I think

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He’s much taller than Adrien. I see a Roy Hibbert type without the jumper at this point. Soft hands, can put the ball in the hoop, potential to develop with his back to the basket. I’d love to see him be a threat from 15’ or more.

Roy was a complete stiff when he stepped on campus. He developed as well as any player I've seen. If Carlton becomes that, then you've hit a home run.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yes. LOI. Not that it means anything, considering we've had 2 guys back out of it in less than 2 years.

Also, we're putting 2 carts in front of the horse with this particular speculation.

Yeah, plus it doesn't feel all that great talking about poaching other schools kids.

Reaction Score
Very good news. If Alterique can get healthy and stay healthy, we would have quite the backcourt. But I think we would be a very different team if we also just had a big presence in the middle. Someone like an Emeka Okafor kind of guy that could do some damage underneath. There seems to be a big vacuum there now.

the Q

Reaction Score
Roy was a complete stiff when he stepped on campus. He developed as well as any player I've seen. If Carlton becomes that, then you've hit a home run.

FWIW, Roy's freshman year he played 507 minutes (about 1 half of basketball more than carlton) and had 1.6 win shares.

that would've been third on our team this year. And his .125 WS per 40 would've been second.

His second year he jumped up to 5.7 WS and .287 WS per 40.

I'd say he develped rather quickly.

He's actually a guy who should've declared after their magical final four run in 2007.

He would've gone in the top 10.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
FWIW, Roy's freshman year he played 507 minutes (about 1 half of basketball more than carlton) and had 1.6 win shares.
that would've been third on our team this year. And his .125 WS per 40 would've been second.

Not big on using WS to compare players across teams and positions, in college especially*. It's so dependent on playing with different systems, different players, and different leagues, the effect of one player vs another is practically rendered meaningless, given how much each player relies on one another. Different time periods as well. Let's just say it's a bit murky in that sense. *due to different developmental curves by position

I mean, it's not like you could plug Roy in our team this year and he would contribute those WS numbers to the squad. Very likely, they'd fall. Similarly, JC's would rise with better players/system etc. WS are so great with baseball because of the individual nature of the game.

JMO of course.

That said, I do like it when looking at an individual players development over time. So your point is a good one there with respect to Roy:

His second year he jumped up to 5.7 WS and .287 WS per 40. I'd say he develped rather quickly.

Quicker than I intimated. He made a big second year jump. His first year, he looked like he had two left feet. Great development.

My point remains, if Carlton was like Hibbert, we'd have hit a homerun. I don't think JC is like Hibbert though.

Last edited:

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
IMG_0403.PNG

Promising for now

the Q

Reaction Score
Not big on using WS to compare players across teams and positions in college. It's so dependent on playing with different systems, different players, and different leagues, the effect of one player vs another is practically rendered meaningless, given how much each player relies on one another. Different time periods as well. Let's just say it's a bit murky in that sense.

I mean, it's not like you could plug Roy in our team this year and he would contribute those WS numbers to the squad. Very likely, they'd fall. Similarly, JC's would rise with better players/system etc. WS are so great with baseball because of the individual nature of the game.

JMO of course.

I do like it when looking at an individual players development over time:

Quicker than I intimated. He made a big second year jump. His first year, he looked like he had two left feet. Great development.

My point remains, if Carlton was like Hibbert, we'd have hit a homerun. I don't think JC is like Hibbert though.

All fair points. System and coaching is incredibly crucial when it comes to development for some players.

I was a big hibbert fan so you really got me looking at him. I initially thought he was better than you were giving him credit for, but even I didn't see him being that good.

FWIW, his 5.7 WSs as a sophomore is probably top 30 in CBB this year. But sports reference only goes top 20 so I'm just guess. But #20 was 5.9 so I feel pretty good about that guess.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Just need guys who play bigger than they are. You can’t really teach that.

Adrien is a perfect example. So is Bonzie Colson. As is Rui Hachimura.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom