Sadie Edwards to transfer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sadie Edwards to transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not only am I not surprised, I told a couple friends and fellow fans that the next transfer would be Sadie Edwards.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure, but I believe Sadie will actually have 2-1/2 seasons left. I think the same was true for Samarie. If she leaves at the end of the semester, she'll be eligible by next December. But she has used up the 2014-15 season, and spring 2016 will use up the 2015-16 season. She gets only 4 seasons total.

StamfordHusky et al. know more definitively.

That's correct. If she wants to play the 2nd half of next year, then she is essentially forfeiting a year of eligibility (getting only 1/2 at UConn and 2 1/2 at her new school). She could have 3 years of eligibility remaining (for a total of 3 1/2) but she'd have to sit out next term and the entire 2015-2016 season. Mid-year transfers really pay a big price losing a minimum of 1/8 of their eligibility and as much as 1/4 unless they are willing to sit out for a year and a half. Generally that encourages kids to stay for at least their entire freshman year after which they can transfer with 3 full years remaining (after sitting out a year) and not give up any of their 4 seasons of eligibility.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I believe Geno and staff sat down and told her what's best for her and her future because this was Sadie dream school only a freshman plenty of time to develope 7 games into the season anything can happen where she earned playing time. I think Geno knows something we don't. Maybe like a big time recruit wanting to come to Uconn?????

You are implying that Geno may be moving out a player to make room for a better player?

Reaction Score
I seen Sadie in some games and the McDonald all american game and I had doubt's of her playing on a level of UConn. I wished and hoped she played more so she can prove me wrong but I'm still a fan of Sadie's
#GoodLuckS.E
I'm starting to feel sorry for these CT girls at UConn heather Buck we should of gotten Bria Holmes the 2 at Capital Prep

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz had her ranked 16th? If that ranking was accurate it is hard to imagine that she would not be a contributor at some point.

Reaction Score
Because getting an offer from UCONN does not prove that you're a good player?

I never said that, but I have mentioned several times in game thread that she seems lost on the court in the limited playing time that she had, so may be she is a lot better than I thought if all these top schools all gave her an offer. One school may be wrong, but unlikely all of them.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
She did appear a little lost on the court, but that's not uncommon for a Freshman.
It would be great if everyone always stayed, but a kid's got to be happy.
May she find the playing time and contentment she wants and enjoy her college experience.

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised. It almost seems like she never really had a chance.
Next year may be worse. Good management decision based on playing time and potential playing time for her talent level. Good Luck Sadie.

Reaction Score
I forget her composite ranking but it was definitely top 30 if not top 20.

Geno has ample scholarships, so the idea that she was being pushed out/aside is laughably wrong.

UConn will now have 12 scholarship players in 2015-16.
In 2016-17, there will be 2 sr, 5 jr, 3 soph, and ? Frosh.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have to say, she had cajones if she went to Geno to push for more playing time this early in her career.

Reaction Score
I have to say, she had cajones if she went to Geno to push for more playing time this early in her career.

May be she just went to Geno and asked "what can I do to get more playing time", like you go to your boss and ask what can you do to get a promotion, no pushing.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Was thinking the same thing. I thought Samarie had some issue where she didn't/couldn't play and didn't travel with the team for a couple of games, and then also transferred after her first semester.
Re Samarie- when we played Ohio State I think at the MSG near the end of the 90 game streak- Samarie was hitting the freshman wall, and when she came of the court and Geno was ticked at her- Geno asked Samarie if she wanted to play for UConn - and she did not answer him. then she did not travel with the team to Duke I think it was. That is what I heard ended our relationship with Samarie.

Reaction Score
Sorry to see her leaving. Was really hoping to see what she would be able to do with the team once she earned her playing time, which it looked like she was starting to do.
That leaves another opening now... sad to see her go...

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Thinking about this year. We have three experienced true guards- Messiah, Nurse, Chong. Gabby has been playing the 4 or underneath for the most part. Her ball handling skills are rusty after two years of not playing basketball. In the event of even a minor or nagging injury to one of our guards, we could be in a bit of a pickle. And re Sadie- I don't think there is any reason to think she could not play for a top 10 team. She was a top ranked recruit. And she has quite an athletic build. She may just not fit in here obviously. But I am not sure that seals her fate as a person that couldn't get drafted into the WNBA. Just my thoughts! I wish we had her on the bench for the season as insurance.

Reaction Score
Geno has long been reluctant to start freshmen or give them tons of playing time. Even the #1 high school recruits like KML and Stewie (and #2 ranked Moriah) were non-starters for the vast majority of their games as UConn freshmen. Coach demands so much of his players. They must do things HS all-americans/top 10 recruits who easily scored 25 ppg in high school are generally unaccustomed to doing- playing great defense, picking/screening, giving 100% effort every practice in order to earn minutes. It presents an enormous challenge for kids who have been the top dog every game they laced 'em up. It is quite a unique situation that exists perhaps no place else in women's college basketball. Most coaches, in order to sign the top recruits, guarantee starting positions and playing time. That does not happen here. Top kids brave enough to come to UConn know all that must be earned- and that takes a special kid with an abundance of confidence, ability, toughness and perseverance- to select a university where she is going to sit on the bench for likely the very first time in her basketball career. The payoff? Learning from the best, becoming the best player you can be, winning National Championships. It isn't for everyone.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That leaves another opening now... sad to see her go...

I don't see any openings. There is still a minutes crunch this year and next year will be even worse, much worse.

Reaction Score
You are implying that Geno may be moving out a player to make room for a better player?
Yes it wouldnt be the first and definitely not the only schools who look to have a extra schollie on hand. If he wanted her to stay and thought she be a player in the future she still will be a huskie. Obviously he thinks she'll never see much playing time there so why waste her time.
Remenber everyone is not for UConn

Reaction Score
Sadie is extraordinarily impressive in the youtube video. I'm really sorry to see her go. Yet, she seems like someone who is driven to succeed. She said she thrived on intra-team competition and chose Uconn because the coaches would make her the best player she could be. Apparently, that all changed. She knew she would never get sufficient playing time. Moriah. Kia and Saniya would be ahead on the depth chart and Dangerfield would be coming in two years. I think she can easily be recruited by a top 10 team and I wish her the best.

Reaction Score

Yes it wouldnt be the first and definitely not the only schools who look to have a extra schollie on hand. If he wanted her to stay and thought she be a player in the future she still will be a huskie. Obviously he thinks she'll never see much playing time there so why waste her time.

Geno is well under the maximum number of scholarships and always will be - so there is no reason to move a player out to "have an extra schollie on hand". And it's way too early for him to know how much playing time she might earn in a year or two (or three). At most, he might have been honest and told her that, barring injuries, she likely wouldn't earn much playing time until after MoJeff graduated. But with injuries unfortunately so prevalent, there really is no way to ever predict who will play.

Reaction Score
Personally, I have a lot of respect for any player who would rather play and contribute, than sit on the bench for a National champion. There is a growing list of players who have transferred from UConn and made a positive contribution to their new team.
I don't think there's a bad decision here. Some stay despite a lack of playing time, satisfied that their contributions in practice and otherwise are important and recognized while others feel that they are capable of more and want a more hands on opportunity. Both positions are understandable and it's just up to the individual.

Reaction Score
She was so excited to play at Uconn. A dream come true. Amazing how quickly the dream turned to ashes. Sad.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Sad to see anyone transfer,but good that she realizes what she wants to do,and is willing to follow through on that.
Nothing but the best for her,and I am sure she will be happier,if she gets the opportunity she desires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom