Sacred Heart Analysis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sacred Heart Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What this game showed me is:
1. This team needs a real point guard and playmaker - Don't be pawning JA on that position yet - his TOs tonight were eye opening
2. While DHam has been Mr Everything on the offensive end, his D is nothing less than horrible
3. While the announcers and others (KO included) may rave about the performance of AB, it was again against a low level opponent and he has yet to prove to me that as the tallest tree in the forest that he can rebound anything around him.
4. Gibbs has suddenly become an enigma and is lost on the court now. Too much talent to be a nonfactor
5. Miller needs to look for the ball more - also needs to work on defensive positioning
6. Facey, while mistake prone, has proven to be a relentless attacker on the offensive board and has started to play some effective D
7. Enoch is RAW but the potential is going to come out - watch out
8. Omar and Jr. will be scratching for any time at all in a months time.
9. Playing from behind SUCKS

Reaction Score
I think miller's two buckets at the start of the run were huge. It stopped the shu run and also loosened up shu's defense and uconn's offense.

Reaction Score
What this game showed me is:
1. This team needs a real point guard and playmaker - Don't be pawning JA on that position yet - his TOs tonight were eye opening
2. While DHam has been Mr Everything on the offensive end, his D is nothing less than horrible
3. While the announcers and others (KO included) may rave about the performance of AB, it was again against a low level opponent and he has yet to prove to me that as the tallest tree in the forest that he can rebound anything around him.
4. Gibbs has suddenly become an enigma and is lost on the court now. Too much talent to be a nonfactor
5. Miller needs to look for the ball more - also needs to work on defensive positioning
6. Facey, while mistake prone, has proven to be a relentless attacker on the offensive board and has started to play some effective D
7. Enoch is RAW but the potential is going to come out - watch out
8. Omar and Jr. will be scratching for any time at all in a months time.
9. Playing from behind SUCKS

^^^^^^^^
SPOT ON

Not sure you missed a thing gtcam. Especially agree with DHam assessment. He was God awful not he D end, almost to the point of not trying, in the 1st half. Kind of eye opening to me to the point of him not even fighting for position on rebounds. He woke up but he's still a work in progress on that end for sure. Miller needs to look for the ball but he also needs to get the ball. It won't happen if DHam is always getting to the middle, or at least not enough. One nice drop off for a dunk but he needs to receive some passes while holding off his defender down low, from the guards or the wing. Facey is killing it on the weak side, really impressive. Enoch, he's going to special. Needs to work on his feet guarding down low and helping but no doubt he's our guy on the offensive end for the bigs at some point 2016.

Reaction Score
People need to stop with the Gibbs coming off the bench stuff. It's not happening.
Nor should it. Simply put, there was nothing to take away from last night's game. Talent prevailed as it should, but I certainly didn't see anything encouraging. It simply was a scrimmage between the JV and varsity.

Reaction Score
TCF what part of Gibbs is not a point guard and not a leader confusing? He is an undersized shooting guard, bad defensively, and doesn't create for others. He is a solid shooter when set that can be useful for the team, but he is not the solution for this team, he is part of the problem. He doesn't fit well with Purvis or the starting lineup in general. Nothing personal, just the eye test.

Someone does not understand that reference.... Based on that I'm assuming you're pretty young, which means that somewhere along the line someone failed you as a child.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure we learned much last night. SHU is not very good and we won by over 30 but it didn't fell that way. I think most of us are now in agreement that Omar and Sam shouldn't be part of the regular rotation. If you cant hold your own against a team like Sacred Heart it's time to reduce their minutes. I'm not sure that Adams should start. He did have a few bad turnovers but good things happen when he's in the game. Thought AB played well but I question his stepping out D. SHU couldn't take advantage of it but we will get abused against better comp if Amida ends up on a guard above the foul line. Rodney was determined to get to the rim last night. He did a nice job. Just wish he was a better finisher. Rebounding continues to be an issue. Sure we out rebounded them but SHU had way too many offensive boards. Question, is this a product of our defensive scheme?

Reaction Score
All I learned is from last night is that we can play better. Its Ollie and staff's problem to fix. Not more keystrokes are needed.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Another thing, that I didn't see mentioned, when are we going to guard the 3...hopefully sometime soon.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
I try to stay away from the yard more during the season and a prime example why is people saying Gibbs should come off the bench. Don't be a lost too much. The kid has proven over his years he is a flat out stud and can run the point exceptionally well. He will have some big games for us this season and the forum will be raving about him just like how everyone was jumping on Purvis last season. I agree Adams is playing really well and should continue to see a bump in pt but the best part is that it will push everyone else to come in at 100mph from the start. With that being said I am taking the vet.

PS: havent really posted since season started anddddd I just have to say Dhams playground game is entertaining as hell. High dribble away from his body, stops on a dime pump fakes all over the place and gets the ball in the hoop. He just knows how to get buckets...

Reaction Score
I didn't see Gibbs as having an awful game, a quiet one but not awful. He can't be invisible I will give you that as he didnt take his first shot for like almost 8 or 9 minutes . It seems he was intent on driving to score and not rely on the three and he did that a few times in the 2nd half plus he banged a three. As for the rest.

-Miller needs the ball in post position more, he will get fouled or score most of the time. Hes a beast.
-Brimah played a solid 2nd half but he Ollie was right to bench him for so long, he started awful.
-Omar, Phil and Cassell need to play within the offense. They come in and never look to pass, when they touched the ball the first time they shot it...and missed.
- Someone said they seen turnovers from Adams that concerned them, I def didn't see that. When we were up 30 he threw the ball away a few times but nothing I'd be concerned with. If he ever becomes a top shooter watch out he will be sick.
- Purvis although finished strong a bunch of times at the rim still had a few drives that were ugly, other than that he was very solid, especially on D and look forward to him on Melo.
-Dham was lazy in that first 10 minutes. I did like that he is finally trying to score in the lane instead of throwing the ally- which btw I'm tired of. It seems everybody now is trying to throw it and seems to not work too much anymore.
-Love Facey this season, seems like a great role player off the bench who gives quality minutes and works hard.

Reaction Score
^^^^^^^^
SPOT ON

Not sure you missed a thing gtcam. Especially agree with DHam assessment. He was God awful not he D end, almost to the point of not trying, in the 1st half. Kind of eye opening to me to the point of him not even fighting for position on rebounds. He woke up but he's still a work in progress on that end for sure. Miller needs to look for the ball but he also needs to get the ball. It won't happen if DHam is always getting to the middle, or at least not enough. One nice drop off for a dunk but he needs to receive some passes while holding off his defender down low, from the guards or the wing. Facey is killing it on the weak side, really impressive. Enoch, he's going to special. Needs to work on his feet guarding down low and helping but no doubt he's our guy on the offensive end for the bigs at some point 2016.

I agree, Miller needs to be more aggressive down low and the guards need to look for him more. He established good position on a couple of possessions but did get the ball. I think he can be dangerous near the baseline when given the opportunity.

Reaction Score
Oh forgot Enoch- He played solid and should be stealing some of Nolans minutes from now on. Kid has a nice touch around the basket. He needs to work on his footwork on D though.

Reaction Score
I didn't see Gibbs as having an awful game, a quiet one but not awful. He can't be invisible I will give you that as he didnt take his first shot for like almost 8 or 9 minutes . It seems he was intent on driving to score and not rely on the three and he did that a few times in the 2nd half plus he banged a three. As for the rest.

-Miller needs the ball in post position more, he will get fouled or score most of the time. Hes a beast.
-Brimah played a solid 2nd half but he Ollie was right to bench him for so long, he started awful.
-Omar, Phil and Cassell need to play within the offense. They come in and never look to pass, when they touched the ball the first time they shot it...and missed.
- Someone said they seen turnovers from Adams that concerned them, I def didn't see that. When we were up 30 he threw the ball away a few times but nothing I'd be concerned with. If he ever becomes a top shooter watch out he will be sick.
- Purvis although finished strong a bunch of times at the rim still had a few drives that were ugly, other than that he was very solid, especially on D and look forward to him on Melo.
-Dham was lazy in that first 10 minutes. I did like that he is finally trying to score in the lane instead of throwing the ally- which btw I'm tired of. It seems everybody now is trying to throw it and seems to not work too much anymore.
-Love Facey this season, seems like a great role player off the bench who gives quality minutes and works hard.

Miller definitely needs more touches. It kills me how many times in the last two years we start the game/half off with throwing the ball down low to Brimah who turns it over. I would like to see them throw it Miller again. Spot on about the 3 amigos(Nolan, Omar, and SC). They take too many shots when they come into the game. Rather see other more capable players getting those shots. Face has been great. Would love to see the bench shortened to Face, Enoch, and Adams. Lets build some continuity on offense. Free Big Steve!

Reaction Score
TCF what part of Gibbs is not a point guard and not a leader confusing? He is an undersized shooting guard, bad defensively, and doesn't create for others. He is a solid shooter when set that can be useful for the team, but he is not the solution for this team, he is part of the problem. He doesn't fit well with Purvis or the starting lineup in general. Nothing personal, just the eye test.

But your eyes are stupid.

Reaction Score
Not quite sure what all this "Magic" stuff is or how it started but am I sensing the start of some 2016 sort of Mojo seedlings being planted?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I was following the Boneyard chat room yesterday but was unable to post from my Android. From the comments by the posters I couldn't believe how badly all of our players were and that we were about the lose to Sacred Heart....and then I turned on the radio and we were up 30+ points. Please step back from the ledge. It was like two different games between the chat and the radio broadcast.

H

huskymagic

Just to prove how brilliant you are - 27 minutes and 0 TO's for Sterling and 3 TO's for the guy you would like to take over now. Adams is going to be really good but only someone without any sense wants and believes this should happen. And you hammered Purvis for his D? Another beauty. You are so spot on it's magic.:confused:

You realize your making my point as Exhibit A is out to apologize for Gibbs as a player by selectively choosing a stat that had no impact on the game. An undersized shooting guard who is not vocal, lacks good footspeed and doesn't have good instincts to pass is somehow a leader and a great point guard? It takes a magic man to point out the obvious. Thanks for the videos though they are entertaining.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If Gibbs is running the point he has to look more sure of himself and be more aggressive with getting his own shot. Miller needs to demand the ball or instead of going to brimah go to miller on the block. Hamilton needs to play better d but on offense he needs to shoot more otherwise teams will sag on him and keep him on the perimeter. If we play like that against maryland we'll get blown out. Melo kept getting a high ball screen on top then hit the three constantly. Our perimeter defense will have to be on point. If we're getting bodied inside Enoch will have to come in and put facey/hamilton/miller at the four. Ollie will need to keep the rotation short and get on his guys as well as the refs. I'm hoping our fans turn up. I'll be there nice and early

Reaction Score
You realize your making my point as Exhibit A is out to apologize for Gibbs as a player by selectively choosing a stat that had no impact on the game. An undersized shooting guard who is not vocal, lacks good footspeed and doesn't have good instincts to pass is somehow a leader and a great point guard? It takes a magic man to point out the obvious. Thanks for the videos though they are entertaining.

You realize you're an idiot right?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I fianlly got to watch the game last night (was at daughters Christmas concert Wednesday). that was the worst 30 plus point victory in the history of the program. I took absolutely no positives out of that game and it frightens me going into Maryland. In a game like that where one team is overmatched you want to see your stuff run with precision and purpose. You want to see 27-2 runs that are born of execution. . You have to win by executing. (after feeling dirty after the win I put on the '99 BET final against St. Johns.....WOW) We did not execute, we simply out talented, out athletic'd them during those runs. We looked no different and possibly worse at points than we did in the Zags and Cuse games. Missed stuff at the rim. Poor defensive efforts in long periods, bad half court sets on offense. Roles that we thought would be close to defined by now, are now bigger question marks than they were when the season started. You can tell KO is frustrated.
Because we arent out talenting or more Athletic than Maryland or any High D1 team, so if this team doesnt find an offensive identity (other than missed rim bunnies) and defensive identity soon that they believe in themselves in, we could be in for a sour ride.
I have faith it will come together eventually, but this is who we are for 3 games in a row now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom