Sacred Heart Analysis | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sacred Heart Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I was following the Boneyard chat room yesterday but was unable to post from my Android. From the comments by the posters I couldn't believe how badly all of our players were and that we were about the lose to Sacred Heart....and then I turned on the radio and we were up 30+ points. Please step back from the ledge. It was like two different games between the chat and the radio broadcast.

No. It was pretty horrible for a while

Reaction Score
OK let's remember the second half against Gonzaga because that is what this team is capable of.

Reaction Score
OK let's remember the second half against Gonzaga because that is what this team is capable of.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Guess I'll chime in with my thoughts a couple of days later...

- The depth on this team is terrific. We have seven players that could start on any given night and perform very well...however, the inconsistency right now is alarming. Luckily, we usually have enough depth to put together a decent effort regardless of who's struggling.

- Purvis has been in double figures every game, but he's also the guy that I've been most frustrated with as he's done some foolish things with the ball. I'd like to see him, when he goes to the rim, go right into the chest of the big man trying to defend his shot. He's going to draw more fouls that way. Right now, he's trying to contort his body and make an acrobatic move to avoid contact and make the layup, and it's causing him to draw no foul and miss the shot most times. He's doing an awesome job of penetrating the lane; if he starts drawing fouls and getting the other team into foul trouble, it's going to force opposing defenses to pay closer attention to him and open things up for everyone else.

- Brimah is getting better. He still does one or two things every night that are going to make you scratch your head, but he's definitely rebounding better than last year and he's avoiding the dumb fouls from last season. When he's playing well, we're a completely different team; we need him to be more consistent if we're going to go far this year.

- Facey has been terrific. He's a great rebounder, and for that reason he's going to get his minutes this year. I'm sure against smaller teams we'll continue to have stretches with Facey and Shonn Miller on the court at the same time, since both can hold their own against slightly bigger opponents. Miller has gotten better; he's great with the ball in his hands inside the three-point line. I'd like to see us dump him the ball at the free throw line a little more often when our offense is stagnant.

- Jalen Adams is gonna be awesome. I like Gibbs, and don't want to get into an argument about who should start, since after a few minutes it doesn't matter who started the game. Ollie will play the matchups, and all of the guys are going to get 20+ minutes. But Jalen is going to be a star, there's no question in my mind, and it could happen by the end of the year. But he still won't be our best player...

- ...because we have Daniel Hamilton. He's an absolute star at this level. He can break down pretty much anybody off the dribble, and he's always looking to distribute once he puts pressure on the defense by getting into the lane. He's deadly with that little elbow jumper/runner play in the paint, and usually makes the good decision as to whether he should pass or shoot. He's also a great rebounder! If I had one knock on his game, it's that his defense is lax more often than not, but he's shown the ability to keep his man in front of him when he's focused on that. I don't know what the scouts are saying about him, as his long-range shot could still use some developing, but he's got a chance to be an All-American this season, and if he happens to stay one more year, he's a first teamer, no question, and he's going to have as good a year as just about anyone has had for this program.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd be starting Jalen, and either RP or SG would be coming off the bench. The future is NOW.

I think it's a bad idea right now. It's too soon and he's not ready. I want my team leader to make the sure shot, especially when the team is losing and playing lousy. Not trying a flying cuff dunk that misses badly. Also, Gibbs hasn't been so awful that he deserves to lose his job after a handful of games. Players are human. Sitting the proven upperclassman in favor of the freshman who hasn't really earned anything to date can hurt team chemistry as we've seen recently.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Guess I'll chime in with my thoughts a couple of days later...

- The depth on this team is terrific. We have seven players that could start on any given night and perform very well...however, the inconsistency right now is alarming. Luckily, we usually have enough depth to put together a decent effort regardless of who's struggling.

- Purvis has been in double figures every game, but he's also the guy that I've been most frustrated with as he's done some foolish things with the ball. I'd like to see him, when he goes to the rim, go right into the chest of the big man trying to defend his shot. He's going to draw more fouls that way. Right now, he's trying to contort his body and make an acrobatic move to avoid contact and make the layup, and it's causing him to draw no foul and miss the shot most times. He's doing an awesome job of penetrating the lane; if he starts drawing fouls and getting the other team into foul trouble, it's going to force opposing defenses to pay closer attention to him and open things up for everyone else.

- Brimah is getting better. He still does one or two things every night that are going to make you scratch your head, but he's definitely rebounding better than last year and he's avoiding the dumb fouls from last season. When he's playing well, we're a completely different team; we need him to be more consistent if we're going to go far this year.

- Facey has been terrific. He's a great rebounder, and for that reason he's going to get his minutes this year. I'm sure against smaller teams we'll continue to have stretches with Facey and Shonn Miller on the court at the same time, since both can hold their own against slightly bigger opponents. Miller has gotten better; he's great with the ball in his hands inside the three-point line. I'd like to see us dump him the ball at the free throw line a little more often when our offense is stagnant.

- Jalen Adams is gonna be awesome. I like Gibbs, and don't want to get into an argument about who should start, since after a few minutes it doesn't matter who started the game. Ollie will play the matchups, and all of the guys are going to get 20+ minutes. But Jalen is going to be a star, there's no question in my mind, and it could happen by the end of the year. But he still won't be our best player...

- ...because we have Daniel Hamilton. He's an absolute star at this level. He can break down pretty much anybody off the dribble, and he's always looking to distribute once he puts pressure on the defense by getting into the lane. He's deadly with that little elbow jumper/runner play in the paint, and usually makes the good decision as to whether he should pass or shoot. He's also a great rebounder! If I had one knock on his game, it's that his defense is lax more often than not, but he's shown the ability to keep his man in front of him when he's focused on that. I don't know what the scouts are saying about him, as his long-range shot could still use some developing, but he's got a chance to be an All-American this season, and if he happens to stay one more year, he's a first teamer, no question, and he's going to have as good a year as just about anyone has had for this program.

Purvis is not seeking contact because he knows he cant make a foul shot. That is a bad space to be in. Hes a guy who can get to the lane at will, and is so strong that he can finish through contact, but he often tries to avoid that contact which screws up his finishing ability because he is shooting 50 percent from the line. I dont know what to do with that.

Reaction Score
I think it's a bad idea right now. It's too soon and he's not ready. I want my team leader to make the sure shot, especially when the team is losing and playing lousy. Not trying a flying cuff dunk that misses badly. Also, Gibbs hasn't been so awful that he deserves to lose his job after a handful of games. Players are human. Sitting the proven upperclassman in favor of the freshman who hasn't really earned anything to date can hurt team chemistry as we've seen recently.
I purposely didn't specify who JA should replace... don't know... I just think we need him to be the alpha sooner than later. The point needs to be the alpha, imho.

Reaction Score
Im another for Adams over Gibbs starting. Give him the reigns now and we'll be better later.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Purvis is not seeking contact because he knows he cant make a foul shot. That is a bad space to be in. Hes a guy who can get to the lane at will, and is so strong that he can finish through contact, but he often tries to avoid that contact which screws up his finishing ability because he is shooting 50 percent from the line. I dont know what to do with that.

Well, hopefully he gets over that, because drawing a foul and missing both FTs is still better than avoiding contact and missing the layup. And I think 1) he's bound to start hitting FTs at a better rate, and 2) he's probably more likely to make the layup drawing the foul than he is contorting his body like he's been doing.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Rico444 said:
Well, hopefully he gets over that, because drawing a foul and missing both FTs is still better than avoiding contact and missing the layup. And I think 1) he's bound to start hitting FTs at a better rate, and 2) he's probably more likely to make the layup drawing the foul than he is contorting his body like he's been doing.

Agreed on all counts. He just has to do it. But the foul shooting does still make me nervous

Reaction Score
I want to believe, but at this point, after 75 games, he's a career 52% free throw shooter (97/185). I think we'll continue to see the inconsistency, but still, that doesn't discount the fact that he needs to be drawing more fouls and getting to the line, if only for the reason of getting into the bonus quicker.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I want to believe, but at this point, after 75 games, he's a career 52% free throw shooter (97/185). I think we'll continue to see the inconsistency, but still, that doesn't discount the fact that he needs to be drawing more fouls and getting to the line, if only for the reason of getting into the bonus quicker.

Yeah, might be wishful thinking on my part, but I was really encouraged by his stretch at the end of last season when he was hitting his free throws at a high rate. Either way, he definitely needs to draw more fouls, because even at 50% it's going to be a positive for us.

C

Chief00

What this game showed me is:
1. This team needs a real point guard and playmaker - Don't be pawning JA on that position yet - his TOs tonight were eye opening
2. While DHam has been Mr Everything on the offensive end, his D is nothing less than horrible
3. While the announcers and others (KO included) may rave about the performance of AB, it was again against a low level opponent and he has yet to prove to me that as the tallest tree in the forest that he can rebound anything around him.
4. Gibbs has suddenly become an enigma and is lost on the court now. Too much talent to be a nonfactor
5. Miller needs to look for the ball more - also needs to work on defensive positioning
6. Facey, while mistake prone, has proven to be a relentless attacker on the offensive board and has started to play some effective D
7. Enoch is RAW but the potential is going to come out - watch out
8. Omar and Jr. will be scratching for any time at all in a months time.
9. Playing from behind SUCKS

As I have said previously, KO will find minutes for Jr. He likes his contribution to the team and that's big for KO.

C

Chief00

He needs to get in the gym and shoot hundreds of foul shots on his own.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As I have said previously, KO will find minutes for Jr. He likes his contribution to the team and that's big for KO.

And what contribution is that?

C

Chief00

And what contribution is that?
KO has commented publicly that when JR was injuried last season he always stayed involved with the team in a positive way. He is very well liked by his teammates, While not hosting he does help with recruiting and he can knock down shots when healthy.
Bottomline - Don't overanalyze this, KO will give Sam JR some minutes - he is the coach and that's his perogative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom