Sabrina Ionescu gets a triple-double ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sabrina Ionescu gets a triple-double ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Sorry but I don't get that from her words.

"I didn't feel as secure at those schools as I did with Washington and Oregon," she said. "They stuck with me through the whole process and have always been a huge part of my recruitment. I felt like they needed me, and I wasn't really always the one that had to reach out for everything. I felt more special at schools that really needed me."

The opportunity to build a dynasty, rather than become a part of one that has already been established, has been a key factor in Ionescu's recruitment.

She doesn't want to be a cog in the machine, she wants to help build it herself.

"I wanted to be the piece, not a piece in a program," she said. "Both Oregon and Washington help me with that goal. At other schools, I was just 'a piece,' and they would be fine if I didn't go there, because they would have enough tools to still be able to win. Both of those schools make me feel like I'm really needed
."

Yes she does talk about being "the piece", but she goes on to explain that she wanted to be part of building something new, not part of an established dynasty, or great program already in place. I think the author nailed it when he talked about her not wanting to be a cog in a machine, but rather being part of building something new.

She also talked about her finalists recruiting her since 6th or 7th grade. Your original post put her comments in a negative light and I didn't see that at all. When you use words like "attitude" and wanting to be "the focal point", you paint a negative picture of the young scholar-athlete, and I think that's taken out of context. If you had added "she also said she wanted to build something from scratch, wanted to stay on the west coast, and wanted to go to a school where she was really needed and that had been recruiting her for many years", I would not have commented.
You have the right your opinion... just as I have mine. You saw what you wanted in her words as did I. Take it or leave it. Next time I will just include the link to begin with and you won't have to type as much.

I repeat I said her attitude does not fit that of a national contender and since my original reply was in reference to the Huskies specifically I believe her words proved that point. I also went on to say based on wanting to be "the piece" she chose the right school for that. I'm glad she got it right. Not sure why any of that has to be negative.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A triple-double against any power-5 team is mighty impressive, but Clemson has stunk the last two years (1 ACC win in 14-15, 0 ACC wins in 15-16) so I felt compelled to check their schedule.

This is who they were undefeated against (Sagarin ranks in parenthesis) - Coastal Carolina (291), Western Carolina (300), Georgia Southern (269), Monmouth (229), LA Tech (167), Loyola Chicago (297) , Wright State (195) and Maine (118). Their schedule rank *after* playing Orgeon (24) is 301 out of 349.

Again, kudos to Ionescu. I just wouldn't take beating Clemson as validation of much of anything.

You're right, and I did deliberately refrain from dissing Clemson in my post. However, last year Clemson, playing with mostly freshmen and sophomores, had a losing record against nonconference opponents outside the top 100 (and they were winless in the ACC, and had the lowest RPI among power-5 teams). At least this year, with sophomores and juniors, Clemson is winning those games.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
You're right, and I did deliberately refrain from dissing Clemson in my post. However, last year Clemson, playing with mostly freshmen and sophomores, had a losing record against nonconference opponents outside the top 100 (and they were winless in the ACC, and had the lowest RPI among power-5 teams). At least this year, with sophomores and juniors, Clemson is winning those games.

True, good point. Last year, they lost to Maine by 33! So they do appear to be going in the right direction.

Reaction Score
No. No she would not have. She only wanted to go somewhere she was the focal point of the offense and not something to be built around (as she stated). She didn't want to be a piece of a program. She wanted to be "the piece". She chose the right school for that. She was NEVER going to a national power with that kind of attitude.
So her attitude will not fit UConn just like DD?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
So her attitude will not fit UConn just like DD?
I never read any DD articles when she was in the recruiting process. I only got into following recruiting in the last 2 years. I do remember reading an article that was released after she stated she was leaving UNC where she said that UConn was "kind of far" so maybe they weren't really a contender.

Reaction Score
From what little I no, she picked the Ducks because her twin brother is a walk on with the men's team. Cal was considered because it's in her back yard, and Washington was going to/did hire her AAU coach.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Next time I will just include the link to begin with .
I agree. Next time just include the link and refrain from criticizing a great kid who made the biggest decision of her life. Some people on this board throw around the phrase "having an attitude" far too much without knowing the player or her family at all.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I agree. Next time just include the link and refrain from criticizing a great kid who made the biggest decision of her life. Some people on this board throw around the phrase "having an attitude" far too much without knowing the player or her family at all.
Again... read carefully... I didn't say she had an attitude. I said: "She was NEVER going to a national power with that kind of attitude." Again... referencing wanting to be "the piece". Stop trying to make problem where there isn't one.

The point of my post which you seem to be continuously missing and then directing the conversation back to your extrapolation that someone was being negative was that she was not a Husky fit by her own admission. What she was seeking out of her college basketball experience wasn't going to happen with any national contender period. I would rather a kid know what she knew about herself before committing and find a school that could offer that right away. She did exactly that. There is nothing negative about it.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
"I wanted to be the piece, not a piece in a program," she said. "Both Oregon and Washington help me with that goal. At other schools, I was just 'a piece,' and they would be fine if I didn't go there, because they would have enough tools to still be able to win. Both of those schools make me feel like I'm really needed."

If memory from the spring holds correct, another reason why Oregon factored into the mix was that her brother was walking on the Men's Basketball Team. A quick check of the roster does NOT find him on it (that's a pretty talented team). Don't know if this will/won't have any further effect on her, particularly if he stays in school. Kelly Graves is doing a very good job and he brought aboard a lot of top-flank recruits in addition to Ionescu, so stay tuned.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
If memory from the spring holds correct, another reason why Oregon factored into the mix was that her brother was walking on the Men's Basketball Team. A quick check of the roster does NOT find him on it (that's a pretty talented team). Don't know if this will/won't have any further effect on her, particularly if he stays in school. Kelly Graves is doing a very good job and he brought aboard a lot of top-flank recruits in addition to Ionescu, so stay tuned.

That was certainly talked about (a lot) last spring, but--you are right--the brother seems to have disappeared (or perhaps never arrived). In any case, SB seems very happy and very committed at this point. Graves was a great hire and there's a lot of young talent on the team. They are better than expected this year and have a bright future ahead.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Again... read carefully... I didn't say she had an attitude. I said: "She was NEVER going to a national power with that kind of attitude." Again... referencing wanting to be "the piece". Stop trying to make problem where there isn't one.

The point of my post which you seem to be continuously missing and then directing the conversation back to your extrapolation that someone was being negative was that she was not a Husky fit by her own admission. What she was seeking out of her college basketball experience wasn't going to happen with any national contender period. I would rather a kid know what she knew about herself before committing and find a school that could offer that right away. She did exactly that. There is nothing negative about it.
LOL you are funny. Maybe next time be a little more careful how you write a post and criticize a kid.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I looked at the halftime score while I was in the grocery store, and I was like Clemson is giving them a game. Got home. and saw the score again . and well.... :oops:

Too many accidents are caused because people are using their phones while pushing the carts in the grocery story. You are putting your eggs, and the eggs of others, in grave peril.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
\

Somebody else is interested in CW...

CAC and Mount St. Mary's about to time-off here in Conway, AR. Kim Mulkey & Sytia Messer are in to watch Christyn Williams.

CzWPW5QVQAAtxqS.jpg

CAC Girls Basketball, Christyn Williams, Baylor Lady Bears and 2 others

Mulkey has been trailing her for quite some time.

Reaction Score
She's been my favorite back court recruit for almost two years now.....was a definite UConn lean but has drifted some over the past months.......with the glut of guards/wings coming in, she may be even less inclined to head up north but I sure hope Geno makes it clear that he really needs her on the team.........

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She's been my favorite back court recruit for almost two years now.....was a definite UConn lean but has drifted some over the past months..with the glut of guards/wings coming in, she may be even less inclined to head up north but I sure hope Geno makes it clear that he really needs her on the team....

Come on, even UCONN fans don't buy that one.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
She's been my favorite back court recruit for almost two years now.....was a definite UConn lean but has drifted some over the past months..with the glut of guards/wings coming in, she may be even less inclined to head up north but I sure hope Geno makes it clear that he really needs her on the team....

I'm sure Uncle Geno is making all the pitches, but you have a point about the number of guards
possibly clouding the issue. As a last resort, maybe he can try another angle: bring in some assistance from Columbia:
Your Country and UConn Need You!

ColumbiaStahrArtwork.jpg

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Mulkey has been trailing her for quite some time.

I'm sure Ms. Natalie Chou is overwhelmed with delight at that possible development...sit on the bench for a year or two, then have Ms. Williams to contend with!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not trying to add to the problem ( if there is even one) but I disagree with you. Sabrina would have made a great UCONN Husky IMO. What you have deemed "attitude" on her part I could just have easily deemed as "confidence", as in there is nothing wrong with a Kid wanting to go to program and be "the piece" instead of "a piece". Were Stewie and Rebecca "the Piece" for UCONN or were they "a Piece"? Geno has implied that both were the former.
Sabrina was also the last to sign in Oregon into a 7 person Freshmen class. 2 of the 7 are top 15 players, 3 are top 40 and all 7 are top 150. That is not consistent with being "the piece" and not needing any help to be a program builder. What did Sabrina say or do that caused you write : " she was not a Husky fit by her own admission"?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would NEVER just make something like that up. She was quoted saying those words. Her words. Not mine.
"I wanted to be the piece, not a piece in a program," she said. "Both Oregon and Washington help me with that goal. At other schools, I was just 'a piece,' and they would be fine if I didn't go there, because they would have enough tools to still be able to win. Both of those schools make me feel like I'm really needed."

I hadn't saw this before. Yeah, she's probably not a good fit at Connecticut. I wish her the best. She's obviously a talented kid.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Not trying to add to the problem ( if there is even one) but I disagree with you. Sabrina would have made a great UCONN Husky IMO. What you have deemed "attitude" on her part I could just have easily deemed as "confidence", as in there is nothing wrong with a Kid wanting to go to program and be "the piece" instead of "a piece". Were Stewie and Rebecca "the Piece" for UCONN or were they "a Piece"? Geno has implied that both were the former.
Sabrina was also the last to sign in Oregon into a 7 person Freshmen class. 2 of the 7 are top 15 players, 3 are top 40 and all 7 are top 150. That is not consistent with being "the piece" and not needing any help to be a program builder. What did Sabrina say or do that caused you write : " she was not a Husky fit by her own admission"?
Her own words caused me to write it: "At other schools, I was just 'a piece,' and they would be fine if I didn't go there, because they would have enough tools to still be able to win. " Your interpretation of those words and mine might be different but it sounds like she wanted to go somewhere that needed her to win. UConn didn't and would certainly still be able to win without her. In her words Washington and Oregon seemed like the best place for that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Her own words caused me to write it: "At other schools, I was just 'a piece,' and they would be fine if I didn't go there, because they would have enough tools to still be able to win. " Your interpretation of those words and mine might be different but it sounds like she wanted to go somewhere that needed her to win. UConn didn't and would certainly still be able to win without her. In her words Washington and Oregon seemed like the best place for that.
Thanks I did see & read the quote from @CL82 post. Having read it I'm not so sure our interpretations are that different. This sounds like the reverse of the Shea quote about getting Gabby paraphrased: "We don't necessarily need her but we are all glad she coming." I also think those "other" schools got this entirely wrong in the pitch to her. Besides UCONN there is not school that should have been pitching anything to her other than: Sabrina, we need you, if you want to be the piece here, you can be the piece. Sounds like she was going to go where she though she was most "wanted" and I don't think UCONN was ever going to be in the mix.

Reaction Score
I guess Ionescu was worth the wait for Oregon....she is a real threat...shame she didn't want a Southern New England education
Southern Connecticut ----turned her down! Sent her to a nice warm dry climate.

Reaction Score
You have the right your opinion... just as I have mine. You saw what you wanted in her words as did I. Take it or leave it. Next time I will just include the link to begin with and you won't have to type as much.

I repeat I said her attitude does not fit that of a national contender and since my original reply was in reference to the Huskies specifically I believe her words proved that point. I also went on to say based on wanting to be "the piece" she chose the right school for that. I'm glad she got it right. Not sure why any of that has to be negative.

As paranoid as I am about Uconn--I read her words and my take was essentially yours. Also I took her comments about the established program as meaning Uconn. It seemed to indicate she wanted to be the standout of the program she went to--and she would not have been at the un-named school. Sour grapes or really turned off by Uconn and other top 4 or 5 schools?? To be a Uconn player, you can become the STAR (Sue, DT, Stew and 100 others) at Uconn but you must put TEAM first. Few Uconn players will get triple doubles on a regular basis. This year 4 players have led the scoring---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom