Sabrina Ionescu gets a triple-double ... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sabrina Ionescu gets a triple-double ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm sure Ms. Natalie Chou is overwhelmed with delight at that possible development...sit on the bench for a year or two, then have Ms. Williams to contend with!

Step up your game or sit on the bench...seems fair to me.

Chou will play a role because she is a big guard, can shoot lights out from three point range, she's a good rebounder and has a great handle. I expect her to have an impact by the end of the year. She is by far the most confident of the three freshmen for Baylor this season.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
As paranoid as I am about Uconn--I read her words and my take was essentially yours. Also I took her comments about the established program as meaning Uconn. It seemed to indicate she wanted to be the standout of the program she went to--and she would not have been at the un-named school. Sour grapes or really turned off by Uconn and other top 4 or 5 schools?? To be a Uconn player, you can become the STAR (Sue, DT, Stew and 100 others) at Uconn but you must put TEAM first. Few Uconn players will get triple doubles on a regular basis. This year 4 players have led the scoring---

I'm sorry, but to mention possible "sour grapes" (even in sentence that ends with a two question marks), and then to imply that SI does not, like UConn stars, "put TEAM first," seems to me extremely unfair. None of us--as far as I can tell--knows Ionescu. I can say that I have watched her play for 9 games now; another poster apparently watched her play when she was in high school. And the player that both of us have watched seems to be the antithesis of a "me first" player. At Oregon she plays only about 26 minutes a game, and averages about 14 points, 7 rebounds, and nearly 6 assists on a team that distributes minutes among a lot of players (typically 12 at least) and shares the ball in a fashion not unlike UConn (the overall assist average is 19.8 assists/game; Ionescu's assist/turnover ratio is 2.68). As for scoring: Ionescu has been the leader for 3 games, Bando for 3, and Hebard (another freshman) for 3.

Would she have been challenged at a much higher level had she come to UConn? Of course. Would she likely have developed her talents more fully? Probably. But to speculate about possible sour grapes, etc., when none of us is really privy to her thoughts and emotions during the recruiting process seems to me something best not done, or at least left unsaid. And however one reads Ionescu's statements or the various accounts of her recruiting, the player I see on the court displays the kind of hard work, intensity, and commitment to team that we see every year at UConn.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but to mention possible "sour grapes" (even in sentence that ends with a two question marks), and then to imply that SI does not, like UConn stars, "put TEAM first," seems to me extremely unfair. None of us--as far as I can tell--knows Ionescu. I can say that I have watched her play for 9 games now; another poster apparently watched her play when she was in high school. And the player that both of us have watched seems to be the antithesis of a "me first" player. At Oregon she plays only about 26 minutes a game, and averages about 14 points, 7 rebounds, and nearly 6 assists on a team that distributes minutes among a lot of players (typically 12 at least) and shares the ball in a fashion not unlike UConn (the overall assist average is 19.8 assists/game; Ionescu's assist/turnover ratio is 2.68). As for scoring: Ionescu has been the leader for 3 games, Bando for 3, and Hebard (another freshman) for 3.

Would she have been challenged at a much higher level had she come to UConn? Of course. Would she likely have developed her talents more fully? Probably. But to speculate about possible sour grapes, etc., when none of us is really privy to her thoughts and emotions during the recruiting process seems to me something best not done, or at least left unsaid. And however one reads Ionescu's statements or the various accounts of her recruiting, the player I see on the court displays the kind of hard work, intensity, and commitment to team that we see every year at UConn.

Don't even try. Once a player is labled "me first" and "not a team player" on the Boneyard that title sticks. [mod edit; politics]

SI is a good player and so what if she knows she is the best player on the court and takes over a game. I have certainly seen some UCONN grads, such as DT and Maya, do the same thing and they are praised when they do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
It's amazing to see 54 posts on a player who never went to UConn and from all appearances never intended to. Nonetheless, I'll go even further afield. SI's brother, Eddy, originally intended to go to Oregon as a walk on. He changed his mind, stayed in the Bay Area, and is currently at City College of San Francisco, a community college, where he is averaging 7 points/game. His last game he shot 9-10 and scored 24 points.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It's amazing to see 54 posts on a player who never went to UConn and from all appearances never intended to. Nonetheless, I'll go even further afield. SI's brother, Eddy, originally intended to go to Oregon as a walk on. He changed his mind, stayed in the Bay Area, and is currently at City College of San Francisco, a community college, where he is averaging 7 points/game. His last game he shot 9-10 and scored 24 points.

Thanks for the update. Actually, you're not going far afield at all... a bunch of us remembered said brother, Eddy, was one of the reasons she cited for wanting to go to Oregon and we found he wasn't on the roster (I had checked Cal, too). Now you've let us know where he is.
Do you know City College of SF? If so, where do players from there move on to if they can play at D1 level?

Reaction Score

Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog