Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
There wouldn't be an outrage if this was at Michigan or Alabama. Elite schools with "tough guy, jerk" head coaches can play it like Trump does, when its UConn we are percieved as weak "so why not let the kid play?". No regard whether the kid would help improve the program or not.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
There wouldn't be an outrage if this was at Michigan or Alabama. Elite schools with "tough guy, jerk" head coaches can play it like Trump does, when its UConn we are percieved as weak "so why not let the kid play?". No regard whether the kid would help improve the program or not.

Because those schools are trying to win championships and we are trying to educate young men, all the while allowing them to follow their dreams of playing division 1 football.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Because those schools are trying to win championships and we are trying to educate young men, all the while allowing them to follow their dreams of playing division 1 football.
Perception is reality.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Perception is reality.

Then we should fit perfectly in the Ivy League... Now that my degree is worth significantly more, I've got leverage to ask my boss for a raise.

C

Chief00

And local high school coaches. And every school recruiting against us . . .

It's now made the front page at cnn.com.

This goes on every day across the country and it's amazing how we have become the poster child.
I think this kid was part of the culture Diaco thought he was builting - good kid, great grades - a leader in his community. Diaco thought this was what he had a mandate for doing from Susan. But, on paper, at least, he is a marginal athlete at UConn's level.

C

Chief00

I think Diaco should honor his commitment to the kid by offering him a ship to Nebraska
I could actually see Diaco doing that and getting tons of favorable press coverage and being a hero with NJ HS coaches.

Reaction Score
Especially since HCREv1.0 honored the scholarship of a player that never suited up for UCONN ..... Joe Akers

Akers did not count against the limit.

Reaction Score
This goes on every day across the country and it's amazing how we have become the poster child.
I think this kid was part of the culture Diaco thought he was builting - good kid, great grades - a leader in his community. Diaco thought this was what he had a mandate for doing from Susan. But, on paper, at least, he is a marginal athlete at UConn's level.

Agree with all of this, unless we gave the kid assurances as the parents claim. That does not happen everywhere.

Reaction Score
Politi is usually very anti-Rutgers, so I wasn't sure where his piece was going to go, but I thought it was fair.

Attack the system, not the people who are in it.

Yeah, to make UConn the whipping boy like no other school or coach has done this is a joke. This conversation has been had before about the system when other kids getting dropped at other schools, but now that a UConn coach does it, now all the sudden it's one too many schools doing this to recruits. Everybody knows the general recruiting system is heavily flawed. So fix it and stop bitching about it because selective outrage toward certain schools is only a bandaid for the macro issue.

Reaction Score
"Plenty of people out there who thing Randy Edsall is a bit of a dick" - so pretty much everyone here after he said adios and went to Maryland. How about a wait and see WTF this guy does, he's not a conquering hero and he was OK here. That doesn't diminish what he did, but some coaches have ceilings and RE may have hit his, maybe not, but I'm in wait and see mode, not kissing the ring.

LOL. None of us know what the future will hold for Edsall 2.0. But if you think what we accomplished in Edsall 1.0 was "o.k." you were being idiotic in your expectations. Whether you like him or not.

Reaction Score
I could actually see Diaco doing that and getting tons of favorable press coverage and being a hero with NJ HS coaches.
I think he should too. He has a chance to back up HIS commitment to the kid..same side of ball as Diaco coaches and at the FBS level too...so why is he waiting? Isn't this what Bob said he was all about...love and commitment? There couldn't be a better time for Bob to ride in on his RED horse and back up his words with action!

Reaction Score
If those looking cannot find another Recruit who claims he was given a guarantee the commitment will be honored then why would Edsel do it this one time. It seems they heard what he did not say. The others aren't making the same claims.

Reaction Score
Edsall said it in his intro presser when Matt asked the question. His answer 'I cannot answer that question until we've had some time to review the tapes'. No way Edsall and Wholley guaranteed this kid, or any kid a spot without a review

Reaction Score
So why we are the ones getting burned for this? Think about what happens when a Michigan or Alabama withdraws an offer. Several other P5 programs are waiting in the wings. So the recruit still has a vested interest in the process and keeps quiet.

It doesn't appear that there were other comparable options in this situation. So (1) he got burned worse than a kid who goes from being a Michigan recruit to a Wisconsin recruit, and (2) there's very little stopping him from calling out how B.S. the process is (and he's right!).

Reaction Score
Edsall said it in his intro presser when Matt asked the question. His answer 'I cannot answer that question until we've had some time to review the tapes'. No way Edsall and Wholley guaranteed this kid, or any kid a spot without a review

The proper answer is "we don't know". The only answer is "we don't know".

Amazingly, Jacobs hit on just about all of the relevant points in his column this morning. The parents and HS coach accused Edsall of lying, knowing full well that he can't respond to defend himself. My assumption is that they did so out of spite, but "I don't know".

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
TIL that Paul Finebaum and Bruce Feldman are millennials, thought I was at the upper end of that age group, guess not.
They tapped their inner millennial in their faux outrage. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The proper answer is "we don't know". The only answer is "we don't know".

Amazingly, Jacobs hit on just about all of the relevant points in his column this morning. The parents and HS coach accused Edsall of lying, knowing full well that he can't respond to defend himself. My assumption is that they did so out of spite, but "I don't know".

The Jacobs article referenced: Jeff Jacobs: Unseemly Action By Edsall, Or Business As Usual In College Football?

Edit: This thread wrote that article.

Reaction Score
That whole piece was literally lifted from the BY.

I do like the ending...

>>Benedict also confirmed that Diaco, who just signed for $825,000 this year as defensive coordinator for Nebraska, would not have to pay back any of the $3.4 million buyout he got from UConn. To be clear, Diaco will get $5.925 million over 2016 and 2017.

Maybe he can use some of that money to help pay tuition for the guys he recruited who don't end up with a scholarship. OK, that's an unfair statement. It's also unfair to saddle Edsall with all of Diaco's recruits — unless he absolutely promised he would.<<

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I do like the ending...

>>Benedict also confirmed that Diaco, who just signed for $825,000 this year as defensive coordinator for Nebraska, would not have to pay back any of the $3.4 million buyout he got from UConn. To be clear, Diaco will get $5.925 million over 2016 and 2017.

Maybe he can use some of that money to help pay tuition for the guys he recruited who don't end up with a scholarship. OK, that's an unfair statement. It's also unfair to saddle Edsall with all of Diaco's recruits — unless he absolutely promised he would.<<

$6m in Lincoln, NE should get him a decent piece of property. Good Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom