Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ouch!

The most recent entry on Edsall's Twitter page is, remarkably, a quote from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.: "Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are we doing for others?'"

Well, Randy, we have your answer: Screwing them over.

Reaction Score
My stupid Nova grad cousin that lives near this kid started getting all troll-y with me tonight and getting me really annoyed with his ignorance.
Ask him why Nova never offered him if he is so good...then remind him that Nova is in FCS and couldn't afford the upgrade.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
honestly the whole thing stinks. This kid was not cut out for FBS ball. I wonder if it was a favor from Diaco or if there are some other kids at Raritan coming up that he wanted to recruit. Or it was just Diaco being Diaco and offering whoever works hard and is a RKG. There are better FCS caliber guys in CT than this kid.

Not to go all @fleudslipcon but Diaco loved to surround himself with players that reminded him of his own career at Iowa.

I believe he really thought he was going to prove you could win with dozens of high character guys who just love the game more than the other team.

He might be able to put together the greatest chapter of the FCA on the planet but you can't win in the AAC without high quality athletic depth.

Reaction Score
Not to go all @fleudslipcon but Diaco loved to surround himself with players that reminded him of his own career at Iowa.

I believe he really thought he was going to prove you could win with dozens of high character guys who just love the game more than the other team.

He might be able to put together the greatest chapter of the FCA on the planet but you can't win in the AAC without high quality athletic depth.

So he wanted to recreate little Giants. Maybe he saw it on Nickelodeon one day.

Reaction Score
This fiasco is on Diaco...Feel bad for the young man and the family but they bought his bill of goods. Just as many of us did the same! Head bang
Parents should have been somewhat schooled of the recruiting process and realized the facts of the situation. As much as they would expect UConn to honer a scoli they should also expect an offer from from Wacky Bob and The Corn Binders...;)
Nothing mentioned from them on a coach that was quickly on the decline and under recruiting for the talent of what was needed @ D1 level....With the landscape that was UConn football, thinning of the heard & possible coaching change should have been at the top of any recruit and their family's interest list . It is and was to many here that lamented over those that were lost....:mad:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Not bad.

Reaction Score
That's just the thing, this kid doesn't appear borderline. Again, this isn't meant to spite him, but if his best offers are/were Monmouth and URI then it's pretty apparent he isn't a borderline FBS recruit. If JMU and North Dakota State came running after this kid, that'd be borderline territory.
I have no problem with dropping kids if done in a reasonable period of time. The expectation is such that there is no firm commitment. But, this kid was verbally reassured right after RE came on board, and then the rug was pulled out from under him. Whether a kid has the power to reneg has no bearing on whether the University should honor its word, nor should his apparent lack of suitability as an FBS level prospect be relevant in retrospect. That's on UConn and the prior coach extraordinaire acting for the school. We replaced a coach.. The University remains the same and the kid acted in good faith. The University needs to stand by commitments even if made by a departed whack job. At worst they bring him on board for a year and give him a fair shot, and if he doesn't cut it they can remove him . I'm disappointed in the school because honor and integrity matter.

Reaction Score
Begin? Matt's been on a nonsensical Twitter tirade since the day Diaco was fired. I have nothing against him personally, but his coverage of the team starting this year and since Diaco was fired has been insufferably ignorant.

He told me all I needed to know when he tweeted that the stadium play clock at Navy waso on 0 while the broadcast showed 7 .....

Reaction Score
He told me all I needed to know when he tweeted that the stadium play clock at Navy waso on 0 while the broadcast showed 7 .....
The man also Q&As himself. Scary stuff.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with dropping kids if done in a reasonable period of time. The expectation is such that there is no firm commitment. But, this kid was verbally reassured right after RE came on board, and then the rug was pulled out from under him. Whether a kid has the power to reneg has no bearing on whether the University should honor its word, nor should his apparent lack of suitability as an FBS level prospect be relevant in retrospect. That's on UConn and the prior coach extraordinaire acting for the school. We replaced a coach.. The University remains the same and the kid acted in good faith. The University needs to stand by commitments even if made by a departed whack job. At worst they bring him on board for a year and give him a fair shot, and if he doesn't cut it they can remove him . I'm disappointed in the school because honor and integrity matter.
He turned away Monmouth one last time! Monmouth didn't ask for no reason. They probably figured Edsall will boot him.

Why is this still being discussed? If coaches in NJ are going to cry over one of their own players having his only FBS offer taken away (not even a single Sun Belt or MAC offer), then they are obviously incredibly full of themselves.

Reaction Score
I think we have no idea what this is about ... and the newspaper weighed in with that big unknown.

He may have just tipped the process wrong. These are two entirely different stages of the process. Dickens was evaluated by guys no longer near the Shenkman. We do have scholarships ... and he had some accomplishment. With that said, something turned. And no one should be surprised that two total strangers didn't quite connect. It could be a lot of things.

Given what we saw in Edsall ... this is unusual. This could be something far more than looking at tapes.

Especially since HCREv1.0 honored the scholarship of a player that never suited up for UCONN ..... Joe Akers

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Oh that deleted tweet. LOL.

His sources were so close to what was going on in the Big 12. That was also solid intel.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
All 'n media talking heads and this kid's own parents and coach are acting like he can't go to college now that his scholly to UConn was pulled. Is URI not a college? One that has given you the opportunity to attend FOR FREE on a FULL SCHOLARSHIP?

Boo hoo, you won't be going to UConn. We don't all get into our top choice college. Enjoy Kingston, clown .

Reaction Score
URI plays at UConn next season. Can we delay that game till his senior season?

Reaction Score
It's not "folks here". It's folks on the outside, and perception matters. This will be used against us, and it's right to question whether the fallout was worth it. There are plenty of people out there who think that Randy Edsall is a bit of a . He just gave them more ammunition.

"Plenty of people out there who thing Randy Edsall is a bit of a dick" - so pretty much everyone here after he said adios and went to Maryland. How about a wait and see WTF this guy does, he's not a conquering hero and he was OK here. That doesn't diminish what he did, but some coaches have ceilings and RE may have hit his, maybe not, but I'm in wait and see mode, not kissing the ring.

Reaction Score
While I feel for the kid because by all accounts is has a great head on his shoulders and has been raised well, I wouldn't necessarily put it past him to bolt to Rutgers if he had gotten an offer to play in his backyard. Happens ALL the time.
Hell, Cummins was once coming here and is now staying home. I'm sure his side could use the coaching change as an excuse but is there ANYONE HERE who thinks Cummins would have stayed committed if he had TX, TCU, Baylor offers? Hell no.

On a side note, I love the fact that Crocker is coming in here and immediately kicking this rosters' ass. Next year may be rough but in 1-2 years with this coaching staff, things could really be on the upswing, both on the field and on the recruiting trail.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
But, this kid was verbally reassured right after RE came on board, and then the rug was pulled out from under him.

You don't know this to be true. That's part of the whole issue here. UCONN can't comment, but this kid and his parents and HS coach want to run Edsall through the wringer. I somehow doubt there was a guarantee made. Probably a lot closers to a soft affirmation that his commitment was appreciated.

Kid could have just come out and said he was opening up his recruitment, but no. That wouldn't work because, in actually, there wasn't much interest from anyone else.

Reaction Score
You don't know this to be true. That's part of the whole issue here. UCONN can't comment, but this kid and his parents and HS coach want to run Edsall through the wringer. I somehow doubt there was a guarantee made. Probably a lot closers to a soft affirmation that his commitment was appreciated.

Kid could have just come out and said he was opening up his recruitment, but no. That wouldn't work because, in actually, there wasn't much interest from anyone else.
I think the Blauds story is dead on - in fact one of the BY posters mentioned it hours before Blauds came out with the scoop.
Crocker showed up and everything changed. Now Edsall could have told Crocker, sorry bud - I already told this kid he's here - but he decided to give his coordinator the pieces he wanted - and cut the ones he didn't.
Edsall isn't around.

Reaction Score
I think the Blauds story is dead on - in fact one of the BY posters mentioned it hours before Blauds came out with the scoop.
Crocker showed up and everything changed. Now Edsall could have told Crocker, sorry bud - I already told this kid he's here - but he decided to give his coordinator the pieces he wanted - and cut the ones he didn't.
Edsall isn't fn around.

Maybe another sign that HCREv2.0 is giving his coordinators a little more freedom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom