Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After taking this all in today I have come to this conclusion. Ryan Dickens was like any HS football player who wants to play in college...he dreamed of playing at the FBS level. He received some mail from some P-5 schools like Northwestern, Syracuse and RU..maybe camps there. Diaco offers him a scholarship despite no other G-5 or P-5 offers and he quickly accepts it. Now a coaching change happens...the new DC was the DC at FCS Villanova and his system uses LB's that are quick and have speed. He looks at film and decides that the speed isn't there to play LB...not big enough to play DE. RE asks Lashlee if he wants him. Lashlee looks at film and doesn't have a place for him. There isn't a need for a LS so RE has to make the phone call. In the mean time the recruiting period has reopened and the kid still doesn't have any P-5 or G-5 offers. Monmouth had called right before RE and made one last attempt to swing him...he had said no. Now URI calls with a offer...and according to this article in the Asbury Press (HS Football: Raritan's Dickens in scramble mode after UConn pulls offer)
Elon, Syracuse, Fordham, the University of New Hampshire, Columbia, Princeton, Dartmouth & other CAA schools have contacted him. Outside of Syracuse who there hasn't been any confirmation of giving him an offer those are all FCS schools. Funny thing if Ryan was a FBS level LB then a offer should've been there from Nebraska the day Diaco was hired as DC. This says to me that Ryan Dickens is a FCS level player..which is nothing to shake a stick at what so ever! Diaco's offer was the ONLY FBS offer he got and he took it. Now he is looking at playing at a school where his talent level fits. There are 2 sides to this story and the truth falls somewhere in the middle as usual. Unfortunately ONLY 1 side is being heard in this whole saga...and they can say what ever they want.

At least he will end up with a scholly somewhere and we won't have to see a 30-30 on ESPN about the depressed kid who lost his scholarship to UConn and never left his room again.

He should be an all star at the FCS level.

Reaction Score
At least he will end up with a scholly somewhere and we won't have to see a 30-30 on ESPN about the depressed kid who lost his scholarship to UConn and never left his room again.

He should be an all star at the FCS level.
I would say he has a shot to make the All CAA defensive team by his Jr/Sr yr. That is a good league and currently is home of the FCS National Champ.

Reaction Score
After taking this all in today I have come to this conclusion. Ryan Dickens was like any HS football player who wants to play in college...he dreamed of playing at the FBS level. He received some mail from some P-5 schools like Northwestern, Syracuse and RU..maybe camps there. Diaco offers him a scholarship despite no other G-5 or P-5 offers and he quickly accepts it. Now a coaching change happens...the new DC was the DC at FCS Villanova and his system uses LB's that are quick and have speed. He looks at film and decides that the speed isn't there to play LB...not big enough to play DE. RE asks Lashlee if he wants him. Lashlee looks at film and doesn't have a place for him. There isn't a need for a LS so RE has to make the phone call. In the mean time the recruiting period has reopened and the kid still doesn't have any P-5 or G-5 offers. Monmouth had called right before RE and made one last attempt to swing him...he had said no. Now URI calls with a offer...and according to this article in the Asbury Press (HS Football: Raritan's Dickens in scramble mode after UConn pulls offer)
Elon, Syracuse, Fordham, the University of New Hampshire, Columbia, Princeton, Dartmouth & other CAA schools have contacted him. Outside of Syracuse who there hasn't been any confirmation of giving him an offer those are all FCS schools. Funny thing if Ryan was a FBS level LB then a offer should've been there from Nebraska the day Diaco was hired as DC. This says to me that Ryan Dickens is a FCS level player..which is nothing to shake a stick at what so ever! Diaco's offer was the ONLY FBS offer he got and he took it. Now he is looking at playing at a school where his talent level fits. There are 2 sides to this story and the truth falls somewhere in the middle as usual. Unfortunately ONLY 1 side is being heard in this whole saga...and they can say what ever they want.
That was a reasonable take, incorporating all of the available information, and using it to draw rational conclusions which provides context to the whole story. There's no way you're in the media. That's made too much sense.

Reaction Score
Twitter has been off the hook with this. Like I said, we will survive the story. This board should keep a low profile and not disparage the kid and his family. They're understandably upset, but this happens in recruiting.
They started a media storm hence they need to be able to take some heat from the opposition. They can suck a fart through a straw for all I care.

Reaction Score
They started a media storm hence they need to be able to take some heat from the opposition. They can suck a fart through a straw for all I care.
I get the impulse to defend UConn, I really do, but we need no defending, and this goes away soon on its own. This is a kid that has his dreams dashed a bit. I expect him to lash out, we're men, I expect us to ngaf and quietly move on, but I respect, not agree with, people's right to fight the kids fire with fire.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I would say he has a shot to make the All CAA defensive team by his Jr/Sr yr. That is a good league and currently is home of the FCS National Champ.
I,m trying to find out info on him to figure out how he got an offer from Diaco, cant even find if the kid made high school all conference. Other than knowing a player Diaco coached at ND and being a "RKG" I have no clue. The CAA is a good league, probably beyond him.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure if you realized my all star comment was tongue in cheek and I'm not sure if yours was the same. :)

Reaction Score
It seems what most likely happened here is Edsall and co. gave this kid a dose of reality - he doesn't yet have the resume of a FBS player. Diaco inexplicably offered him a scholarship and Randy, in the course of righting the ship that is our program, had to revoke it. As others have stated, it's better that he do this now as opposed to a year or two from now when Ryan's had no playing time whatsoever and has wasted a year or two on the bench.

Reaction Score
I don't have anything to say that hasn't been said. I feel bad for the kid but he and his family gotta bounce back and take care of business. Maybe this can fuel his fire even more for football. RE has to win and win with his guys and who fits the new system. I'm not happy with Coach Brown though, think that's dirty pool. He should have talk to the kid, gave him guidance and moved on without slamming RE and his staff. Friggin Diaco man oh man I hope I never hear his voice again. Go Huskies

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Much ado about nothing.

We can't interest the media in stories about players who decommit at the last minute. Maybe we need Randy's mom, sister or cousin to lament the loss of an almost-was, and talk about how broken up he was. Perhaps Rhett can tell the story of an unexpected phone call...shed a tear...sniffle a bit.

It's a two-way street. Sometimes you eat the bear...

Reaction Score
Fordham took a bunch of kids who started at UCONN and they had an outstanding experience - Nebrich and Tebucky Jones etc. This is not the worst case the article portrays. The likely poignant statement is that he wouldn't fit at this school. Better to know now ...

Reaction Score
Twitter has been off the hook with this. Like I said, we will survive the story. This board should keep a low profile and not disparage the kid and his family. They're understandably upset, but this happens in recruiting.
While I agree that the kid should be left alone, I believe the parents handled this very poorl and should shoulder a lot of the blame. This was a teachable moment in Ryan's life. Whether it's college athletics, the corporate world, or personal relationships, people are going to make promises. Unfortunately, sometimes those promises will be unfulfilled or rescinded. Dickens' parents should be teaching their son how to handle disappointment and misfortune with dignity and class. What they should have said was, "Son, we understand your upset. We are too. But, your going to experience disappointment in your life. There's no reason to blame Coach Edsall or UConn, you don't fit the new system. They owe you nothing. In fact, you should be thankful Coach Edsall was honest with you. That's commendable and I'm sure it was a difficult thing for him to do. You have to respect that. You were recruited by Coach Diaco, who's moved on to Nebraska. Let's be proactive, instead of reactive. We can reach out to Coach Diaco and see if Nebraska is an option. You also have other schools interested in you. No, they're not FBS schools, but you'll likely have an opportunity to compete for playing time as a freshman. We know we have a short window to work with here. We will do whatever we can for you to pursue your dream. Just know that life isn't always easy. This is just a bump in the road. There's no reason to be mad at anyone, college football is a business. Coach Edsall had to make a decision that was best for his business. That's reality. It's time to handle this like an adult. Ok, who do you want to call first, it's time to move on?" Instead, they started a media firestorm in an effort to vilify Randy Edsall and UConn. In the short term, it's damaging to all parties. Sadly, it's another example of parents adding to the pussification of our youth.

Reaction Score
While I agree that the kid should be left alone, I believe the parents handled this very poorl and should shoulder a lot of the blame. This was a teachable moment in Ryan's life. Whether it's college athletics, the corporate world, or personal relationships, people are going to make promises. Unfortunately, sometimes those promises will be unfulfilled or rescinded. Dickens' parents should be teaching their son how to handle disappointment and misfortune with dignity and class. What they should have said was, "Son, we understand your upset. We are too. But, your going to experience disappointment in your life. There's no reason to blame Coach Edsall or UConn, you don't fit the new system. They owe you nothing. In fact, you should be thankful Coach Edsall was honest with you. That's commendable and I'm sure it was a difficult thing for him to do. You have to respect that. You were recruited by Coach Diaco, who's moved on to Nebraska. Let's be proactive, instead of reactive. We can reach out to Coach Diaco and see if Nebraska is an option. You also have other schools interested in you. No, they're not FBS schools, but you'll likely have an opportunity to compete for playing time as a freshman. We know we have a short window to work with here. We will do whatever we can for you to pursue your dream. Just know that life isn't always easy. This is just a bump in the road. There's no reason to be mad at anyone, college football is a business. Coach Edsall had to make a decision that was best for his business. That's reality. It's time to handle this like an adult. Ok, who do you want to call first, it's time to move on?" Instead, they started a media firestorm in an effort to vilify Randy Edsall and UConn. In the short term, it's damaging to all parties. Sadly, it's another example of parents adding to the pussification of our youth.
It's an easy thing to say when not in that position. If Wholey was at their house and reaffirmed the offer, I get why they're pissed, and when hurt they did what most people do, try to hurt back.

That still doesn't mean Edsall did anything, wrong, illegal or unethical. Just means a kid got hurt in a pretty big way, and they tried to hurt back. We will survive the bad press, but just as Edsall was within his right to rescind the offer, his parents were within theirs to declare a fatwa on Edsall and the program through the press, and I guess the boards reaction in defending Edsall is justified as well even if I don't like it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Agreed - but the article did get it out very broadly and quickly that he was available. He will probably have a couple of choices now - he might not have if it didn't go 'viral'.

Really a win/win. We'll all root for him wherever he ends up like Lagow/Nebrich/Tebucky Jr/Dennis Brown/Lawrence/Boyle etc.

Scott Hazleton was a reason to watch Rhode Island games. I used to love going to S. Kingston when UConn was in the Yankee/A-10/CAA. Rhode Island is a hell of a fun place to play.

Reaction Score

honestly the whole thing stinks. This kid was not cut out for FBS ball. I wonder if it was a favor from Diaco or if there are some other kids at Raritan coming up that he wanted to recruit. Or it was just Diaco being Diaco and offering whoever works hard and is a RKG. There are better FCS caliber guys in CT than this kid.

Reaction Score
Of course Adam Zagoria has to get in on any opportunity to throttle UConn -- retweeting every article on the subject on twitter

Reaction Score
New Jersey is just circling the wagons around one of their own...

RU fans are delighted over this right now..Ash will have RE on his Christmas card list... is sending him a nice bottle and will take him out for dinner next year at the Coachens Convention. With Politi on this it means he isn't slamming/tting on RU which is his usual m/o.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom