RUTGER'S PRESS | Page 3 | The Boneyard

RUTGER'S PRESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
The losing team is under no obligation to concede.
So when a QB kneels down for the last two plays the defense should blitz and try to smash him anyway.... Is that the idea?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
he said the losing team... a kneeling QB is normally winning, kneeling stops the play so the QB will not be getting smashed

Reaction Score
he said the losing team... a kneeling QB is normally winning, kneeling stops the play so the QB will not be getting smashed

Um, UConn is the kneeling quarterback and Rutgers and their late game press is the blitzing defense.

Reaction Score
In a game this year the QB got smashed on such a play by Tampa Bay, Schiano was the coach and he gave a BS explanation about playing the entire game. The other team took great offense to his teams conduct and his reasoning.
I guess the other team was playing by the unwritten rule!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Think you got it backwards DC.

Reaction Score
There are no unwritten rules about a team being down 30 and pressing to try to make the game closer.

just because you haven't heard of the unwritten rule doesn't mean it doesn't exist it just means you don't know enough about basketball
it has existed for my 78 years not sure when they used a peach basket. ?Don't get insulted get educated

Reaction Score
The old unwritten rules of blowouts.

I know the way Geno approaches it is that it is up to the losing side to decide when to call of the dogs. As soon as the opposing coach concedes and puts in his bench then Geno will immediately follow suit and empty his bench. If a losing coach keeps playing starters Geno will continue playing his starters and regula rotation until the final couple of minutes of the game. That is the edict Geno follows and part of the basketball culture he grew up in. And he tends to get pissed at the other coach when they never concede and Geno then ultimately has to unilaterally pull his starters at the end of the games.

In more chivalrous cultures to our south the unwritten rules imply it is up to the winning team to concede once victory is assured and pull the starters first without any white flag waving from the defeated opposition. The losing team is free to play their starters against the winning team's bench.

These cultures tend to bump heads fairly often and lead to stalemates in UConn games. The losing coach doesn't concede believing Geno will eventually be chivalrous or at least be guilted into pulling his starters and Geno holding out waiting for the white flag from the opposing coach that some will refuse to wave.

Reaction Score
I like our walk-ons against the press, or starting one of our own. I think we could steal the 55, or a variation of it and use it successfully with the quickness we have this year.

Reaction Score
just because you haven't heard of the unwritten rule doesn't mean it doesn't exist it just means you don't know enough about basketball
it has existed for my 78 years not sure when they used a peach basket. ?Don't get insulted get educated
Oh Phil, no need to get testy. How about answering my post above about sportsmanship before you start insulting me.

Reaction Score
Oh Phil, no need to get testy. How about answering my post above about sportsmanship before you start insulting me.
So I say don't get insulted get educated and your insulted Huh-As for sportsmanship read Scotters post which explains protocol better than I could.I quit you win o.k.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Look OB, there is no Boneyard Lite where the posters who have not watched many college basketball games can get up to speed on the "unwritten rules" of the game. There is something called lurking that allows you to read a bit and learn a few elements of the game before posting.

Quite simply, when the game is out-of-hand and the winning side puts in the second and third line players to give more players playing time and to avoid being accused of running up the score, the losing team is not supposed to go into a full court press to take advantage of the other team's gesture. If that team does decide to do the press, they know that they risk having the winning side put the starters back in to push a 30 point margin to 40 points. Neither of these two actions is desirable, so most coaches who have class and some marbles left avoid pressing the other team's subs. That does not mean that the losing side can't play demonic defense on their side of the floor and turn a 30-point Husky lead into a 20 point lead, and we have seen that happen many times in the past. It doesn't mean they can't contest every inbounds pass like crazy jumping jacks, but if you are teaching your team how to work the press against another team's walk-ons and subs, you have serious issues.

Not a big deal, and probably all will be forgotten when Rutgers comes to play in CT. As to whether Rutgers will ever have as you say a "point gourd," possibly in the games in which they turn into pumpkins, but the Knights have a number of players and most especially Scaife who look like they have a lot of hops and will be interesting to watch in future, especially when they learn how to defend against the other team's front line players.

Reaction Score
So when a QB kneels down for the last two plays the defense should blitz and try to smash him anyway.... Is that the idea?

The whole point of kneeling down quickly is so the opposing team can't attack the quarterback or
the try to get the ball (without incurring a penalty). Maybe a better example would make your
point.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
The whole point of kneeling down quickly is so the opposing team can't attack the quarterback or
the try to get the ball (without incurring a penalty). Maybe a better example would make your
point.
Such as?

I only was responding the to comment that there is no obligation for the losing team to concede. You will know that in most cases in football the opposing defense does nothing to "attack" the offense when it is an obvious kneel down.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the tip Rover, but i'm pretty sure my 15+ years as a prep school/college coach taught me quite a bit more about the game than becoming a lurker could.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Um, UConn is the kneeling quarterback and Rutgers and their late game press is the blitzing defense.
and when they are on offense they will keep trying to score a touchdown...

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Thanks for the tip Rover, but i'm pretty sure my 15+ years as a prep school/college coach taught me quite a bit more about the game than becoming a lurker could.
Well, each coach has their different perspectives on how the game should be played. I've seen some HS and college coaches call for some pretty unusually aggressive tactics by their players, especially when they're upset. Or as we've discussed on the BY, how some prep coaches use the three-defenders-on-a-dribbler defenses that teach little but win games against teams with less skilled point guards. That essentially is the situation when subs and walk-ons are serving out the final minutes for the winning team against a ranked teams starters who are putting on the press. But some coaches are fine with that.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Doesn't seem like it.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Anyone who reads CVS's postgame comments (they are posted on this board if you need a reference) would know she has nothing but the upmost respect for UConn and its players. You may have done something different in the final minute, but I am confident CVS acted only to make her own team better, and not to disrespect the Huskies in any way.

Reaction Score
Anyone who reads CVS's postgame comments (they are posted on this board if you need a reference) would know she has nothing but the upmost respect for UConn and its players. You may have done something different in the final minute, but I am confident CVS acted only to make her own team better, and not to disrespect the Huskies in any way.

unfortunately , there are many here who ignore this side of CVIV. most anytime uconn plays rutgers you can count on these people to find something, anything, to portray her in a negative light. i read her comments, and thought that they were generous and sincere. and i'm pleased that you commented on them, and her.

Reaction Score
unfortunately , there are many here who ignore this side of CVIV. most anytime uconn plays rutgers you can count on these people to find something, anything, to portray her in a negative light. i read her comments, and thought that they were generous and sincere. and i'm pleased that you commented on them, and her.

wow can't let it go ?Many here remember how she publically called out Geno for swearing at one Cappie Pondexter and when she learned that in fact it was Cappie who swore at Geno and Geno said whatever she said to the ref. Once she learned of her error, she refused to apologize. So yes
many of us remember that. My statement if read correctly said it was a classless move period. I believe since that incident that Geno and she have mended their fences which is a good thing.

Reaction Score
wow can't let it go ?Many here remember how she publically called out Geno for swearing at one Cappie Pondexter and when she learned that in fact it was Cappie who swore at Geno and Geno said whatever she said to the ref. Once she learned of her error, she refused to apologize. So yes
many of us remember that. My statement if read correctly said it was a classless move period. I believe since that incident that Geno and she have mended their fences which is a good thing.

at least she and geno have gotten beyond it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom