RUTGER'S PRESS | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RUTGER'S PRESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Bush... Let the game end and shake hands.
They decided to defend on that last possession. So Uconn ran a scoring offense but turned it over.

I don't see the big deal. Well, unless we were beating ND or Tenneseee by 30 and they did that. Then I would be all over that!!!!

Rutgers? Who cares? Sorry Coler.

Reaction Score
You are down 30, the leading team puts in all the subs and you press ??? Now I wish we laid 100 on them

for the same reason coaches call a timeout with 10 seconds left , even when they're down 10. for the same reason that geno will call a timeout with 10 seconds left in the half to set up something , even when they're up 20. they're trying to teach right to the end. not cviv's fault that uconn's starters were out.

Reaction Score
The losing team never has to concede. They weren't fouling to try to extend the game, they weren't playing dirty or taking cheap shots against us. There is nothing written or unwritten that says once the winning team calls off the dogs the losing has to give up and quit playing.

There is, and has been for many decades, an unwritten rule of sportsmanship that if a team that is winning by a large margin is nice enough to put in the end of their bench to keep the score down that you do not press. Every coach knows this and 95%+ of them observe the rule..

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
DD was correct...its Rutgers who cares...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There are no unwritten rules about a team being down 30 and pressing to try to make the game closer.

Yup. 45 seconds left, maybe gets it under 30 with 2 walk ons on the floor. Who is fooling whom?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
There is, and has been for many decades, an unwritten rule of sportsmanship that if a team that is winning by a large margin is nice enough to put in the end of their bench to keep the score down that you do not press. Every coach knows this and 95%+ of them observe the rule..
OK, let's look at this another way. If Rutgers was beating us by 27 points with 3:00 left in the game (I know could never happen) and they were still playing 3 starters, including 2 all-americans would that be unsportsmanlike? At the 2:00 minute mark up by 29 and still 2 starters were in and their point gourd was still pressuring every inbounds after a made basket, would that be unsportsmanlike? Their last starter and all-american comes out with 45 seconds left in a 30 point game, would some boneyarders call that unsportsmanlike?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
OK, let's look at this another way. If Rutgers was beating us by 27 points with 3:00 left in the game (I know could never happen) and they were still playing 3 starters, including 2 all-americans would that be unsportsmanlike? At the 2:00 minute mark up by 29 and still 2 starters were in and their point gourd was still pressuring every inbounds after a made basket, would that be unsportsmanlike? Their last starter and all-american comes out with 45 seconds left in a 30 point game, would some boneyarders call that unsportsmanlike?
That is an interesting question.

Pure fiction, but interesting.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes.

Reaction Score
In our case, the last starter is coming off a long layoff and getting back into game shape, so I didn't mind her being out there until the end. And the point guard was put back in when we were having trouble breaking the press without her. The two kids with huge scoring nights were the first to go out.

But Geno does have a tendency to leave starters/regulars in a minute or two longer than what is maybe ideal. Not a big deal - I think he hates those 4-minute stretches of walk ons not being able to run offense or get the ball up the floor, so he reduces it down to a minute or two and keeps a regular player or two out there to maintain some semblance of pressure relief. If someone takes issue with it, I wouldn't consider it out of bounds to complain.

Reaction Score
You were beating Baylor by 9 with only seconds left and took a shot so you could win by double digits instead of running out the clock. Was that unsportsmanlike? IMO, same as practicing the press against your subs.

Reaction Score
ScarlettB said:
You were beating Baylor by 9 with only seconds left and took a shot so you could win by double digits instead of running out the clock. Was that unsportsmanlike? IMO, same as practicing the press against your subs.

That shot came with 24 seconds left - after we got possession with 45 seconds left. What are you talking about?

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but I think we had a breakaway after that in the closing seconds but pulled it out (Hartley, maybe). I could be mixing up my games, though.

Last edited:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Why would UCONN want to play RU ever again? A once proud program has gone downhill and C VIV is seeing her last days at the RAC....No B 10 for her..RU has serious financial issues entering the B 10...

I would love it if we played Rutgers in conference (B1G) for the next 20 years.

Reaction Score
That shot came with 24 seconds left - after we got possession with 45 seconds left. What are you talking about?
Sorry, I was just trying to make a point. I wasn't sure exactly how many seconds were left, but as I was watching that game I just knew UConn would do everything in their power to make sure they pushed their lead to double digits. I'll take your word that they made the shot with 24 seconds left. They then defended against Baylor when they brought it back down the floor after the made shot to preserve the 11 point lead.

Personally I don't think either situation is unsportsmanlike. I just find it a bit amusing that so many other teams play against UConn in ways many on the BY find objectionable or unsportsmanlike - flopping (ND, Baylor) showing attitude (Skylar Diggins, Alyssa Thomas, Odyssey Sims), pressing when UConn subs are in (RU).

Having our kids press at the end may have been CViv's way of letting her players know she expects them to play all 40. We didn't empty our bench. It could also be a way of showing your subs some respect. There is no rule that we have to lay down and let your end of the bench players score. If they want to show up in the stats, then let them earn it.

Reaction Score

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but I think we had a breakaway after that in the closing seconds but pulled it out (Hartley, maybe). I could be mixing up my games, though.

You would be correct (it's up on the ESPN site) - Breanna got a rebound with 43 seconds remaining, and nineteen seconds later Bria made the layup. Breanna then stole the ball with nine seconds remaining, passed it out to Moriah who tipped it to Bria, who in turn pulled up on the fast break and dribbled out the last possession.

Since there were more than 30 seconds left on the clock when Breanna got the ball, they were more or less obligated to try and take some sport of a shot – integrity of the game and all that. Besides, it would be more insulting to Baylor to not take a shot – in a way saying to them that, “you’re such a non-threat that we can throw away a possession.”

In contrast, when Connecticut played the Jewel of the Big East back in February 2005, with a twelve point lead, the ball, and 27 seconds remaining, CViv called a time out, and after running the clock down and missing a layup, with three seconds left Cappie Poindexter jacked up a two pointer to extend their lead to a safer fourteen points.

Or I guess, as philosopher and statesman Yogi Berra once said, “It ain’t over ‘til it’s over.”

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Sorry, I was just trying to make a point. I wasn't sure exactly how many seconds were left, but as I was watching that game I just knew UConn would do everything in their power to make sure they pushed their lead to double digits. I'll take your word that they made the shot with 24 seconds left. They then defended against Baylor when they brought it back down the floor after the made shot to preserve the 11 point lead.

Personally I don't think either situation is unsportsmanlike. I just find it a bit amusing that so many other teams play against UConn in ways many on the BY find objectionable or unsportsmanlike - flopping (ND, Baylor) showing attitude (Skylar Diggins, Alyssa Thomas, Odyssey Sims), pressing when UConn subs are in (RU).

Having our kids press at the end may have been CViv's way of letting her players know she expects them to play all 40. We didn't empty our bench. It could also be a way of showing your subs some respect. There is no rule that we have to lay down and let your end of the bench players score. If they want to show up in the stats, then let them earn it.

What a bullspit post. Sorry, but you failed to make any point. UConn didn't do what you initially accused them of, so now you "just knew" UConn would do everything in it's power to push the lead to double digits. They ran their offense and took most of the shot clock to get a back door layup. It has nothing to do with the RU game. Then you point out that they actually defended against Baylor in order to preserve the 11 point lead. Again, nothing to do with the RU game. In actuality, after UConn scored, Jefferson backpedeled on defense allowing Baylor a clear path. UConn played normal solid defense. Did you expect them to just let Baylor score? Who does that?

If you know anything about Geno and the UConn team, there is no way the double digit lead was on any of their minds. It is silly to think so.

I'm happy we amuse you here. Baylor and ND do flop a lot. We point it out. You like that style of play or do you just not say anything about it. Diggins we mostly don't like and some of us don't hold back. I haven't heard much complaining about Thomas. And Sims did have an attitude. What was your opinion about that?

I am not buying that CViv had to have the team press to show them she expects 40 minutes. They kinda should know that, no? Showing respect to the subs? Really reaching there. And once RU played pressing defense, UConn did try to score and "earn it". They just didn't succeed.

Honestly, I rarely complain about what coaches do with their own players. Press, keep the starters in. I have complained about teams stretching 30 point leads to 50 scoring more in the 2nd half. I'm proud that UConn rarely does that. But what RU did? I have no problem. No big deal.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Actually, the 40 minute bit was from the horses mouth. The RU fan club some years ago questioned CVS why she continued to play hard, starters, scoring plays, pressing etc. when the game was either in hand or far out of reach. Her answer was that she believed in playing all 40 minutes or it dishonored the game.

RU didn't stop taking late shots in the final possession until E. Prince was on the team and she made sure she had the ball and held it until the time ran out. The first few times CVS was extremely pissed, but eventually it became the mode of play. The only exception has been for walk-ons.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'll take your word that they made the shot with 24 seconds left.

No need to take anyone's word for it.

Here's the pbp.

UConn got the ball with 43 seconds left.

Took their last shot 19 seconds later, at the 24 second mark.

Got possession again with 9 seconds to go and did not take a shot.

They then defended against Baylor when they brought it back down the floor after the made shot to preserve the 11 point lead.

Of course they defended. They always defend. It's offense one calls off, not defense.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I was fine with the last minute play, and Rutgers continuing to play hard. I understand the POV of those who believe in the unwritten rule that when the offense puts in the walk-ons, and the game is unwinnable, it is time to call off the dogs. Not only do I agree with it, that's what I would have done. But I know C. Viv well enough to know that I am not her, and that is not her style, and I'm fine with that. I don't think she did it with an eye to how the scoreboard would look (though I have seen coaches do that), I think she believes in playing hard until the final buzzer sounds. Many coaches preach it, she lives it.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'm hearing some new unwritten rules here today. So when the team leading puts in their subs, the game is over and everyone play nice. Next time we get up 2-0 we should unload the bench. The unwritten rule pertains to when the trailing team puts in their subs, the leading team calls off the dogs. The rule goes one way and that's it.
I've thought for years that Geno keeps the starters in too long. I realize you can't take them out at halftime and they need to stay in game shape, but I'm always afraid a key player will get injured. For most of these games the starters could easily come out with 5 minutes left and the lead would never be jeopardized.

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember the National Semi Final game last year? We took a shot clock violation, to get a play stoppage so that Skyler could get the ovation from the fans that she deserved...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom